Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 114067 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. Playoffs ready to rock (with no Giants)
« Reply #1820 on: January 14, 2021, 01:01:32 PM »
I think he's got personality. It's just the wrong personality for the gig. Rodgers is smugness personified, and that's the one thing Trebeck always managed to avoid. Actually kind of impressive when you consider that a huge part of his job was telling people "Oh, I'm sorry, in 1927 it was still known as Constantinople." Trebeck always came off as super-sincere, and I think Rodgers would probably seem a bit phony. In fact, I'm really not sure who they could find that can spend all day telling people they're wrong while seeming genuinely apologetic.

Good call.    Probably the best example of Rodgers is that moment in the State Farm commercial when he crushes the hole in one, flips his club and mumbles about the Rodgers rate.  That's the perfect role for him.  I don't see him having the compassion and empathy to deal with these contestants as they need to be dealt with.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1821 on: January 14, 2021, 01:22:26 PM »
I think Rodgers just has a very sarcastic demeanor which often gets interpreted as smugness.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1822 on: January 14, 2021, 01:37:14 PM »
Here's a fun one - Jeopardy is going to go through guest hosts like Katie Couric and maybe LeVar Burton. One rumored guest host is one Aaron Rodgers. Now that should be interesting.  :corn

It's more than rumored.  Couric and Rodgers are confirmed.  Burton is not.

I heard that he was a huge fan of Alex Trebek and Jeopardy and even won when he was on as celebrity Jeopardy. I never knew....

Correct.  He won a celebrity version of the show in 2015.  He's a big fan.

I think he's got personality. It's just the wrong personality for the gig. Rodgers is smugness personified, and that's the one thing Trebeck always managed to avoid. Actually kind of impressive when you consider that a huge part of his job was telling people "Oh, I'm sorry, in 1927 it was still known as Constantinople." Trebeck always came off as super-sincere, and I think Rodgers would probably seem a bit phony. In fact, I'm really not sure who they could find that can spend all day telling people they're wrong while seeming genuinely apologetic. 

Not sure I agree.  I once posted on Facebook that there was nothing more pompous sounding than Trebek reading a clue/answer in French.  I'll reserve judgment about Rodgers until I see him, which I assume won't happen for several weeks, depending on how the Packers do over the next week-plus.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1823 on: January 14, 2021, 02:34:55 PM »

Good call.    Probably the best example of Rodgers is that moment in the State Farm commercial when he crushes the hole in one, flips his club and mumbles about the Rodgers rate.  That's the perfect role for him.  I don't see him having the compassion and empathy to deal with these contestants as they need to be dealt with.

I've never really thought of this until reading this post, but maybe, just maybe, a little douchiness is needed from the new host to add some spice to the game  :lol  Telling some super smart person they are incorrect because of the tiniest of mistakes with a smirk on their face might be hilarious

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1824 on: January 14, 2021, 08:55:07 PM »
I think Rodgers just has a very sarcastic demeanor which often gets interpreted as smugness.

This. He has a very dry sense of humor. I think he’ll be great as host
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1825 on: January 14, 2021, 09:01:12 PM »
Rodgers strikes me as being kind of an arrogant dick, but that's probably why he is so good at his job.  :lol

Assuming he wins the MVP for the 2020 season as expected, he will become only the 4th QB to have won the MVP award at least three times (same as Favre and Brady, Peyton Manning won it five times). 

Even more crazy is his TD-INT ratio.  He has thrown 412 touchdowns and only 89 interceptions in his career. :eek :eek  That is nuts.

As a comparison, Brady is 581-191, Brees is 571-243 and P. Manning is 539-251. 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1826 on: January 15, 2021, 06:43:26 AM »
Rodgers strikes me as being kind of an arrogant dick, but that's probably why he is so good at his job.  :lol

Assuming he wins the MVP for the 2020 season as expected, he will become only the 4th QB to have won the MVP award at least three times (same as Favre and Brady, Peyton Manning won it five times). 

Even more crazy is his TD-INT ratio.  He has thrown 412 touchdowns and only 89 interceptions in his career. :eek :eek  That is nuts.

Yeah, he's always come across to me a little smug and arrogant.  Like you say, you can't deny his talent though!!   I just hope he has a REALLY bad game tomorrow.  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1827 on: January 15, 2021, 09:42:51 AM »
I just hope he has a REALLY bad game tomorrow.  :lol

:tup :tup
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1828 on: January 15, 2021, 10:11:22 AM »
I hate doing picks for the entire playoffs right at the outside, because if you don't get ALL of them right, it messes up the entire bracket.  Anyhow, for tomorrow:

Rams vs. Packers
Ravens vs. Bills
Browns vs. Chiefs
Bucs vs. Saints

Yeah, nothing really controversial there.  :lol  The first game feels the most sure to me.  The others I could see going either way.  Even Cleveland being such an underdog, it wouldn't surprise me if they pulled the upset. 

At the end of the day, I'm ok with any result that ends up being an NFC team other than the Rams winning the SB.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1829 on: January 15, 2021, 10:15:58 AM »
I hate doing picks for the entire playoffs right at the outside, because if you don't get ALL of them right, it messes up the entire bracket.  Anyhow, for tomorrow:

Rams vs. Packers
Ravens vs. Bills
Browns vs. Chiefs
Bucs vs. Saints

Yeah, nothing really controversial there.  :lol  The first game feels the most sure to me.  The others I could see going either way.  Even Cleveland being such an underdog, it wouldn't surprise me if they pulled the upset. 

At the end of the day, I'm ok with any result that ends up being an NFC team other than the Rams winning the SB.
WAIT a second!!!!!!!!!! .................................. :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1830 on: January 15, 2021, 10:18:07 AM »
Been a '9ers fan since I started watching during the SB XV season.  I kinda have to hate the Rams. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1831 on: January 15, 2021, 10:30:58 AM »
Been a '9ers fan since I started watching during the SB XV season.  I kinda have to hate the Rams.
Oh I know you're a huge Whiners fan!....   ;D

GO RAMS!!!!!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1832 on: January 15, 2021, 10:32:56 AM »
I'm taking suggestions about things I would do if it meant the Browns would beat the Chiefs.  I don't think I've ever rooted for an underdog Cinderella team this hard since February of '80.   

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1833 on: January 15, 2021, 10:41:06 AM »
Any thoughts on the coaching hires? 

If I'm a Jags fan (and I'm not) I'm not thrilled with the Urban Meyer hire.   I'm not a huge fan of pilfering the college ranks anyway, and I think he's an especially bad bet in the pro game.  He's akin to John Calipari, or, to keep it in the sport, Steve Spurrier.  He knows the college game and the college player, and I don't think that his particular skillset is going to translate.

If I'm a Jets fan, (and I'm not) I'm a little more happy, but as much as Saleh has had success, I don't know that he's head coach material, and I don't know that he's going to be able to change the organization at a molecular level like it needs to.  I know him as a rah-rah guy (which isn't my thing) but word is he's very much an intellect and a quiet leader behind the scenes.   So we'll see; we're watching Kevin Stefanski do just that, and Joe Judge, across town, is doing the same thing (apparently).  Even so, I'm not wagering any real money on either of these hires.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1834 on: January 15, 2021, 10:59:46 AM »
Any thoughts on the coaching hires? 

If I'm a Jags fan (and I'm not) I'm not thrilled with the Urban Meyer hire.   I'm not a huge fan of pilfering the college ranks anyway, and I think he's an especially bad bet in the pro game.  He's akin to John Calipari, or, to keep it in the sport, Steve Spurrier.  He knows the college game and the college player, and I don't think that his particular skillset is going to translate.

If I'm a Jets fan, (and I'm not) I'm a little more happy, but as much as Saleh has had success, I don't know that he's head coach material, and I don't know that he's going to be able to change the organization at a molecular level like it needs to.  I know him as a rah-rah guy (which isn't my thing) but word is he's very much an intellect and a quiet leader behind the scenes.   So we'll see; we're watching Kevin Stefanski do just that, and Joe Judge, across town, is doing the same thing (apparently).  Even so, I'm not wagering any real money on either of these hires.

What do I think of the Jacksonville hire? After Urban was hired I tweeted at the Jaguars saying good luck on your head coaching search in 2023
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1835 on: January 15, 2021, 11:02:35 AM »
Yeah, I was a little apprehensive about the Saleh move.  I'm not a Jets fan, but I am a Saleh fan.  And I don't know that the structure is in place for him to have success there.  For his sake, I would have liked to see him go to Detroit.  I think he might have been able to have a better chance.  But we'll see.  I am rooting for him.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1836 on: January 15, 2021, 11:04:52 AM »
Yeah, I was a little apprehensive about the Saleh move.  I'm not a Jets fan, but I am a Saleh fan.  And I don't know that the structure is in place for him to have success there.  For his sake, I would have liked to see him go to Detroit.  I think he might have been able to have a better chance.  But we'll see.  I am rooting for him.
Welp.... I'm definitely not disappointed that I won't have to face his defense twice a year... :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1837 on: January 15, 2021, 12:03:32 PM »
I don't think I've ever rooted for an underdog Cinderella team this hard since February of '80.

What underdog Cinderella story was happening in February 1980?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1838 on: January 15, 2021, 12:26:59 PM »
I don't think I've ever rooted for an underdog Cinderella team this hard since February of '80.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_on_Ice
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1839 on: January 15, 2021, 12:45:10 PM »

:omg: :omg: :omg:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1840 on: January 15, 2021, 12:54:11 PM »

I failed to think outside the box of major pro sports.  I'll go hide in a corner somewhere....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1841 on: January 15, 2021, 12:57:39 PM »
Well, in context of the conversation, I'm not sure I would have thought outside of the NFL, to be fair. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1842 on: January 15, 2021, 01:09:35 PM »
That's the one.  Sorry, that's no one's fault.  I don't color very well within the (thread) lines. 

But since we're talking about it....  :)    I'm still amazed that of the 20 players on the team, 12 came from Minnesota, 4 from Massachusetts, and two each from Wisconsin and Michigan.  Also amazed that Al Michaels got the gig because he was the only announcer at ABC that had previously called a hockey game, and that was just once, eight years earlier. 

I was in a hotel room somewhere on the Eastern seaboard watching that game on television, as my family was driving back home from Florida for our annual vacation.   The game was on tape delay to be broadcast in prime time.  I had no idea who won while I watched it.  My god, was that a different time.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1843 on: January 15, 2021, 01:30:45 PM »

That's my oldest specific sporting event memory which I actively watched.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1844 on: January 15, 2021, 02:31:22 PM »
It wasn't even live even though it was in the USA.  Crazy how most were taped then brodcasted for the Olympics back then.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1845 on: January 15, 2021, 03:00:45 PM »
That's the one.  Sorry, that's no one's fault.  I don't color very well within the (thread) lines. 

But since we're talking about it....  :)    I'm still amazed that of the 20 players on the team, 12 came from Minnesota, 4 from Massachusetts, and two each from Wisconsin and Michigan.  Also amazed that Al Michaels got the gig because he was the only announcer at ABC that had previously called a hockey game, and that was just once, eight years earlier. 

I was in a hotel room somewhere on the Eastern seaboard watching that game on television, as my family was driving back home from Florida for our annual vacation.   The game was on tape delay to be broadcast in prime time.  I had no idea who won while I watched it.  My god, was that a different time.

It was odd.  I don't know that I'd ever seen any ice hockey before that time (and if I had, it was nothing more than happening upon a Kings game on a weekend and pausing for a few seconds before becoming confused about things like "icing"), but I actively followed that tournament.  I remember seeing things on other channels that basically said, "we're going to put up the score from the game; if you don't want to see it, cover your eyes for 30 seconds."  Probably didn't watch any non-Olympic hockey for another 10 years.

That's my oldest specific sporting event memory which I actively watched.

I have a vague memory of watching the 1974 World Series (A's over Dodgers) with my father about 7-8 weeks before he died, but the one I vividly remember is game 6 of the '75 Series.

As for the games tomorrow, I think the most likely winner among the road teams is Baltimore, but I hope that doesn't happen and that the Browns and Rams win.  No real preference in the Bucs at Saints game.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1846 on: January 15, 2021, 03:24:38 PM »

Yeah, he's always come across to me a little smug and arrogant.  Like you say, you can't deny his talent though!!   I just hope he has a REALLY bad game tomorrow.  :lol

Hoping for Aaron Rodgers to have a bad game in the playoffs feels like wishful thinking.  You simply need to score a shit ton of points to beat the Packers with him at the helm.  Consider that in the Packers eight playoff losses with Rodgers, the offense has averaged 25 points a game, while they have given up an AVERAGE of 36 points (!!!) a game.  Talk about your bad luck.  And two of those losses were in OT when the defense allowed the other team to score a TD on the first drive in OT and Rodgers never touched the ball.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1847 on: January 15, 2021, 03:48:56 PM »

Hoping for Aaron Rodgers to have a bad game in the playoffs feels like wishful thinking.  You simply need to score a shit ton of points to beat the Packers with him at the helm.  Consider that in the Packers eight playoff losses with Rodgers, the offense has averaged 25 points a game, while they have given up an AVERAGE of 36 points (!!!) a game.  Talk about your bad luck.  And two of those losses were in OT when the defense allowed the other team to score a TD on the first drive in OT and Rodgers never touched the ball.
Definitely wishful thinking but hey...  I'm a dreamer!  Need our Defense to play up to it's potential and Goff to have a great game, which he can occasionally.  No turnovers like the Seattle game and a stout performance from Cam Akers sure wouldn't hurt!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1848 on: January 15, 2021, 04:03:38 PM »
I can't even imagine being a fan and having my playoff chances in the hands of Jared Goff.  I kind of consider him the least of the QB's still in the playoffs.

List time!  Who I would take right now as a QB in a playoff game, all things being equal (doesn't mean I think their teams will win, or that they are "the best" or anything like that). 

1. Tom Brady
2. Patrick Mahomes
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Drew Brees
5. Josh Allen
6. Lamar Jackson
7. Baker Mayfield
8. Jared Goof

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1849 on: January 15, 2021, 05:10:20 PM »
I can't even imagine being a fan and having my playoff chances in the hands of Jared Goff.  I kind of consider him the least of the QB's still in the playoffs.

List time!  Who I would take right now as a QB in a playoff game, all things being equal (doesn't mean I think their teams will win, or that they are "the best" or anything like that). 

1. Tom Brady
2. Patrick Mahomes
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Drew Brees
5. Josh Allen
6. Lamar Jackson
7. Baker Mayfield
8. Jared Goof
Welp... he took us to a super bowl 2 years ago.  Also had a perfect performance in '18 against the Vikings and of course the MNF masterpiece against the Chiefs.  He has it in him... he just needs to dig it out.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1850 on: January 15, 2021, 06:58:43 PM »
Patrick Mahomes has to be #1. I love Tom but right now it's Mahomes.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1851 on: January 16, 2021, 08:28:30 AM »
Definitely wishful thinking but hey...  I'm a dreamer!  Need our Defense to play up to it's potential and Goff to have a great game, which he can occasionally.  No turnovers like the Seattle game and a stout performance from Cam Akers sure wouldn't hurt!

Very true.  Akers has looked great lately, and if he has a good game, they have a shot. Any team with that defense and McVay as their coach has a shot, but Goff is just hard to trust if it comes down to him needing to make plays for them to win.

1. Tom Brady
2. Patrick Mahomes
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Drew Brees
5. Josh Allen
6. Lamar Jackson
7. Baker Mayfield
8. Jared Goof

Is all luck equal?  If so, I can't put Brady at 1.  Kidding...sort of. ;)

It's hard to not put Rodgers at 1 right now given how he has played this year, but I won't quibble with the order of 4-8, although my trust level in Brees isn't high right now due to how he has looked since returning from those broken ribs. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1852 on: January 16, 2021, 09:52:10 AM »
Patrick Mahomes has to be #1. I love Tom but right now it's Mahomes.

I was waiting for that.  "All things being equal" and "one game in the playoffs".  If Hill and Bell and Kelce and all the Chiefs weapons are healthy and they're firing on all cylinders?  Sure.  I think if the wheels fall off, and things don't go perfectly, Brady is still number one on the list for being able to play any game that's required at any time.  Not every game can be won by an off-balance, cross the body shovel pass to a guy that runs a 4.29 40 and can beat 98% of the DBs in the league. Other than the "our QB ran for 140 yards on the ground and three touchdowns", which seems to be the flavor du jour in the NFL (but doesn't win Super Bowls), Brady can play any game that's required to an elite level. STILL.   

I think the Saints have better weapons on O (Thomas and Kamara are as good as anyone in the league), a better D, and a better coach than Tampa Bay.   That was the only game I gave even 3 seconds of thought about when I picked my games this weekend, and it's the only game I wouldn't put any money whatsoever on.   That's 100% because I can't count Brady out of any "one game" scenario.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1853 on: January 16, 2021, 09:54:26 AM »

Very true.  Akers has looked great lately, and if he has a good game, they have a shot. Any team with that defense and McVay as their coach has a shot, but Goff is just hard to trust if it comes down to him needing to make plays for them to win.

1. Tom Brady
2. Patrick Mahomes
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Drew Brees
5. Josh Allen
6. Lamar Jackson
7. Baker Mayfield
8. Jared Goof

Is all luck equal?  If so, I can't put Brady at 1.  Kidding...sort of. ;)

It's hard to not put Rodgers at 1 right now given how he has played this year, but I won't quibble with the order of 4-8, although my trust level in Brees isn't high right now due to how he has looked since returning from those broken ribs.

The right defense playing the right game at the right time can melt him down, though.   I don't mean just beat him, because any QB is like that; I mean mess with HIS head.  He's great when he's behind but he's losing the shootout (i.e. he's called on to carry the defense).  He's not so great when he's behind because he or his offense isn't playing well or hasn't figured out the defense.   

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1854 on: January 16, 2021, 12:34:48 PM »
I don’t know what to put here anymore