Author Topic: 2020 NFL Thread v. Tom Brady aging better than Mila Kunis  (Read 112837 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2020 NFL Thread v. less than 7 months to the season!!
« Reply #175 on: March 17, 2020, 06:43:06 PM »
It is spin, for sure, but it is still his decision to leave.  If he is making unreasonable contract demands and the Patriots will not match them, that is not really their fault. 

While he may have wanted something they weren't willing to give him, to think that he had unreasonable contract demands is foolish. They had an unreasonable offer, frankly.
He wanted something(s) they couldn't give him. Brady wanted more weapons on O, and as we've already discussed, they don't have the space to offer him much. Moreover, reports are that he wanted some control over personnel. Even if it weren't NE/Belichik/Casserio, it's still an unreasonable demand. If Tampa offered him these things then his departure is entirely on him.

What you are saying is from a reporter in the pockets of the Patriots. That was the only report about that and I know you are smart enough to get the game.

They low balled him because they didn't want him for close to 30 million with the added 13.5 million cap hit.

I've followed every reporter who has their fingers on each side.  The all release info for their own spin.

It's obvious that both knew the divorce was inevitable and us fans were blinded by loyalty. 

Makes for an interesting season coming up.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #176 on: March 17, 2020, 06:46:02 PM »
It is spin, for sure, but it is still his decision to leave.  If he is making unreasonable contract demands and the Patriots will not match them, that is not really their fault. 

While he may have wanted something they weren't willing to give him, to think that he had unreasonable contract demands is foolish. They had an unreasonable offer, frankly.
He wanted something(s) they couldn't give him. Brady wanted more weapons on O, and as we've already discussed, they don't have the space to offer him much. Moreover, reports are that he wanted some control over personnel. Even if it weren't NE/Belichik/Casserio, it's still an unreasonable demand. If Tampa offered him these things then his departure is entirely on him.

What you are saying is from a reporter in the pockets of the Patriots. That was the only report about that and I know you are smart enough to get the game.

They low balled him because they didn't want him for close to 30 million with the added 13.5 million cap hit.

I've followed every reporter who has their fingers on each side.  The all release info for their own spin.

It's obvious that both knew the divorce was inevitable and us fans were blinded by loyalty. 

Personnel control aside, could the Patriots have given him 30 million? Even close? If I ask you for thirty million and you say "sorry, I only got about eighteen bucks on me," and I storm out in a huff, who's that on?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #177 on: March 17, 2020, 06:47:13 PM »
  Kraft had to side with his couch.

Kingshmegland is right, and he certainly knows a lot about siding with his couch.

Word. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: March 17, 2020, 06:52:43 PM »
I'm not sure I disagree with any of the takes here, different though they may be, but at the end of the day, does it matter?  Bill's going to do what Bill's going to do, and they'll be a contender.  Maybe not ring number whatever this year, but I trust Bill to make good decisions.  I think Bruce Arians is a good coach, but let's not beat around the bush: this is play time for Tom.  Whether Gronk comes back or not, I think they're going to find that it's not that easy.  He might put up some numbers, but I don't think Brady pushes the Bucs over the top right out the gate. 

In two years, Brady will sign the one-day contract, retire a Patriot, and the universe will be as it always was.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: March 17, 2020, 07:00:16 PM »

Personnel control aside, could the Patriots have given him 30 million? Even close? If I ask you for thirty million and you say "sorry, I only got about eighteen bucks on me," and I storm out in a huff, who's that on?

No I get it. He should have had that years ago.  But, guess what, someone one out there us willing.

I get why both sides came to this.  I just look at  the replacement and right now it lagging.

Yes, I've been extremely spoiled.  But Brady isn't in control of the budget and tell me if last year was handled correctly? 

I say not. It was throw a slide of baloney on the wall and hope it sticks. 

It didn't. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: March 17, 2020, 07:00:45 PM »

Kingshmegland is right, and he certainly knows a lot about siding with his couch.

Word.

Leave my couch out of this. Lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #181 on: March 17, 2020, 07:04:09 PM »

Word.

Leave my couch out of this. Lol

YOU brought it up! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: March 17, 2020, 07:06:06 PM »
No, I didn't.   My couch is an innocent bystander in my futility.   :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #183 on: March 17, 2020, 07:06:26 PM »
At the end of the day, Brady is simply another player who had a higher value of himself than the team did. Neither are likely wrong. It's cool. No one to blame. He didn't have to take their offer, and they didn't have to pay what he was asking. They'll reunite in Canton.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: March 17, 2020, 07:12:07 PM »
I'm amazed it took 20 years for him to hit free agency but I get it's mostly on him. It's his age that's the issue but imagine gets a shade under 30 million in your twilight of your work history?  I'd take it. Lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #185 on: March 17, 2020, 08:41:34 PM »
I'm amazed it took 20 years for him to hit free agency but I get it's mostly on him. It's his age that's the issue but imagine gets a shade under 30 million in your twilight of your work history?  I'd take it. Lol
To his credit, he's always been a team player. He's been plugging away for 15-20 million per year for most of his career and it's paid off royally (six rings and 230 million). Compared to Dak Prescott who wouldn't sign a 34m/y contract. In TB12s case I still can't imagine leaving was about money. It hasn't mattered before and it can't possibly matter now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #186 on: March 17, 2020, 08:45:36 PM »
I think the narrative is now out there that Brady always took less in New England, but I don't think that was true until the latter half of his career. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #187 on: March 17, 2020, 10:31:37 PM »
I think the narrative is now out there that Brady always took less in New England, but I don't think that was true until the latter half of his career.
Looks like the most he ever made in a year, prior to 2019, was 18-19m in 2011, which actually put him closer to Mark Sanchez than Peyton Manning, and behind Sam Bradford. This is cash earnings rather than contract money, but it still shows a seemingly modest history. (Sadly, Spotrac only makes past contracts available to premium subscribers now.)

2001    $372,160
2002    $3,878,780
2003    $9,129,700
2004    $6,004,200
2005    $12,004,180
2006    $14,004,840
2007    $12,505,160
2008    $8,001,320
2009    $8,000,000
2010    $16,500,000
2011    $19,750,000
2012    $12,000,000
2013    $13,000,000
2014    $19,000,000
2015    $13,010,663
2016    $14,774,301
2017    $15,000,000
2018    $15,000,000
2019    $23,000,000
E.F. Benson

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: March 17, 2020, 11:18:36 PM »
I'd say New England got a pretty sweet deal over the years.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #189 on: March 18, 2020, 04:41:42 AM »
Those contracts are one of the huge reasons NE was able to win all those Super Bowls. If Brady was paid what he was worth, they would have had way less payroll flexibility and would have lost out on a lot of good players.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 05:54:37 AM by lordxizor »

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #190 on: March 18, 2020, 05:57:13 AM »
I wanna see an alternate reality where teams aren't required to fill all 53 roster spots but the salary cap still exists and every team is solely comprised of however many Albert Haynesworth clones they can get for that ludicrous price he went for in Washington and the real Albert Haynesworth is the commissioner.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: March 18, 2020, 06:27:09 AM »
Those contracts are one of the huge reasons NE was able to win all those Super Bowls. If Brady was paid what he was worth, they would have had way less payroll flexibility and would have lost out on a lot of good players.

Not picking on you, but using your post as a springboard, but "what he was worth" to whom? 

Maybe I'm not looking at this the right way, but highest bidder at auction (i.e. free agency) isn't the only measure of what someone is worth, nor is cash the only way to measure compensation.  Does anyone honestly think that if he signed on in 2001 with Detroit, or the Cardinals, or Dallas (I think they were last in the NFC East in 2001) that we're still talking about him today as the "GOAT"?  I'm not saying he's Ryan Leaf, or that he didn't earn what we're talking about, but it's a multi-variable equation.   The magic with Brady is that he was able to incorporate that thinking for 20 years, not three or four, as many other star players have.

When I worked at GE, I was in Atlanta and in Connecticut.  You could make good money taking a gig in Erie, PA, or in any of 25 cities across the US - Morrison, IL or Hickory, NC or Dothan, AL, or Salem, VA - places you had to drive to or take smaller prop commuter planes.  Even Plainville, CT was a decent place to get a decent salary.  The dream job?   NBC, in New! York! City!  You got to work in Rockefeller Center!  Hob nob with Conan O'Brien!   Cut through Studio 8A on your way to wherever!   See Tina Fey, Darrell Hammond and Seth Meyers in the elevator!   And... take a 25% pay cut, even accounting for city living.   Because any NBC job that opened up was flooded with applicants all over the company, and that's even assuming they weren't going to go to a seasoned candidate from a competitor (because of the industry).    I think that's partly the case here.  You get a legit shot at a champeenship EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Brady is the best, no doubt, but he could walk into camp each season, and no matter how many question marks there were across the roster, he had a decent shot of getting deep in the playoffs, and at that point EVERY Super Bowl is in reach ("Any Given Sunday").    Can any other QB over that span say that? 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: March 18, 2020, 06:29:02 AM »

No they couldn't.  That's why they allowed him to get to free agency. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #193 on: March 18, 2020, 07:25:32 AM »
Looks like the most he ever made in a year, prior to 2019, was 18-19m in 2011, which actually put him closer to Mark Sanchez than Peyton Manning, and behind Sam Bradford. This is cash earnings rather than contract money, but it still shows a seemingly modest history. (Sadly, Spotrac only makes past contracts available to premium subscribers now.)

2001    $372,160
2002    $3,878,780
2003    $9,129,700
2004    $6,004,200
2005    $12,004,180
2006    $14,004,840
2007    $12,505,160
2008    $8,001,320
2009    $8,000,000
2010    $16,500,000
2011    $19,750,000
2012    $12,000,000
2013    $13,000,000
2014    $19,000,000
2015    $13,010,663
2016    $14,774,301
2017    $15,000,000
2018    $15,000,000
2019    $23,000,000

I'd be curious to see where his salary ranked each season compared to other QB's. That would tell the tale more, as it is hard to judge those numbers since they have gone up so much over the years in general.  Plus, when you see how it dipped down a few times, that has to have been when he signed a new deal and had it set up to where the first year or two was far less than the later years.

Later on, yes, but early on, he was probably paid about what he was worth, as it is important to remember that Brady did not walk into the league as a great QB.  He evolved over time and wasn't a great QB for the first third of his career.  Yes, they were winning Super Bowls, but those were the best all-around teams the Patriots had in the Brady/Belichick era.  He was a far better QB in the 2010's than he was in the 2000's.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #194 on: March 18, 2020, 08:09:11 AM »

2001    $372,160
2002    $3,878,780
2003    $9,129,700
2004    $6,004,200
2005    $12,004,180
2006    $14,004,840
2007    $12,505,160
2008    $8,001,320
2009    $8,000,000
2010    $16,500,000
2011    $19,750,000
2012    $12,000,000
2013    $13,000,000
2014    $19,000,000
2015    $13,010,663
2016    $14,774,301
2017    $15,000,000
2018    $15,000,000
2019    $23,000,000

I'd be curious to see where his salary ranked each season compared to other QB's. That would tell the tale more, as it is hard to judge those numbers since they have gone up so much over the years in general.  Plus, when you see how it dipped down a few times, that has to have been when he signed a new deal and had it set up to where the first year or two was far less than the later years.
I only looked during his highest paid years, but he was never the top paid, and I only saw him as close as third behind Manning and Bradford. At one point he was well behind Jeff Garcia, and Dog-Killer absolutely blew him out of the contract waters one year.

Also, I'd expect it to work the opposite from that. I figured the dips are after signing a contract that paid him a huge signing bonus. Part of the issue here is that this list is career earnings per year, and not contract/cap numbers. Those are no longer available.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #195 on: March 18, 2020, 08:13:16 AM »

My couch is my life. Freudian slip I guess. Lol
Slip?  Probably.  But it's only Freudian if you want to fuck your couch.

You couch-fucking sonofabitch.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #196 on: March 18, 2020, 08:22:24 AM »

To be fair, this is his couch, so......

Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: March 18, 2020, 08:23:23 AM »

So my teenage years? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: March 18, 2020, 08:25:51 AM »
TB to TB (trivial news)

The mayor of Buffalo, when speaking of the C-19 restrictions, told the citizens that 'bars and restaurants were limited to 'take out only', and any celebrations of Tom Brady leaving the AFC East and moving to another conference, were limited to ten people or less'.  It's somewhat funny, but also was hearing of gatherings about the news, and wanted to stem the tide.

I never thought Brady would be caught dead wearing those hideous Buc uniforms.  Well, they announced they are going back to the 'Pirates of Pewter pants' era.  Helmet logo will remain the same size, but no more alarm clock style numbers.  They'll make Tom look a little fatter, but not ridiculous.

Ravens:  sad to see Hayden Hurst go to Atlanta, but they made a couple of extremely good deals to improve their defensive line. I'm really excited about what Eric DeCosta manages to do.  He learned well from Ozzie Newson.

Buried amongst all the recent news was the retirement of Marshall Yanda.  A big hole to fill on the OL.  Eight time Pro Bowler, had a whopping four holding calls in his last 94 games!  Will be the eighth player inducted into the Ring of Honor, and no doubt will be in the HOF within the first five years of eligibility.

Titans:  paid waaaay too much for Tannehill.  I put him in that 'Earl Morrall' category months ago.  I could be proven wrong.

Are we talking about Tim Couch in this thread?  So confused....
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: March 18, 2020, 08:53:21 AM »
If I was Brady, I would have made that a condition of the deal: final approval on all uniform changes.  The Bucs have one of the worst uniforms in the league, if you ask me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #200 on: March 18, 2020, 11:11:37 AM »
The Bucs have one of the worst uniforms in the league, if you ask me.
You are a gentleman of rare insight and perspicuity.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: March 18, 2020, 04:22:23 PM »
Teams that have won the SB, when their QB's contract was 15% or more of the their salary cap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17Jq0QqK4k0

Not sure how many have reached the SB with that albatross around their neck.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #202 on: March 19, 2020, 08:22:32 AM »
The biggest loss to NE won't be the talent. It'll be the window dressing. Players came to NE for the change to win a super bowl with Brady. That lure is gone, and suddenly players are storming the gates at Raymond James. I knew this would be the case, but it's looking a little worse than I'd thought.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #203 on: March 19, 2020, 11:09:06 AM »
Some awfully funny Brady-related posts on various forums. From the Dolphins:

In the Brady-Belichick divorce, who gets the refs?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: March 19, 2020, 03:32:17 PM »
Don't cry, NE, Flacco is available.......

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #205 on: March 19, 2020, 04:38:52 PM »
Some awfully funny Brady-related posts on various forums. From the Dolphins:

In the Brady-Belichick divorce, who gets the refs?

:lol

That is funny.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #206 on: March 20, 2020, 08:59:16 PM »
Pretty up and down week for the Saints. Sean Payton tested positive for coronavirus and, pending a physical, we've addressed the biggest weakness on the team by getting a legit WR2 in Emmanuel Sanders. This is the first thing to actually have me excited about Saints football since before kickoff of the wildcard shitshow.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #207 on: March 22, 2020, 12:51:33 PM »
A really good number 2 WR is what the Saints have long been missing, and Emmanuel Sanders is a great signing in that regard.  TB will be much improved with Brady, but the Saints are still the team to beat in the South.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #208 on: March 22, 2020, 06:50:04 PM »
The Bucs have one of the worst uniforms in the league, if you ask me.

That's the general opinion, actually.

Speaking of branding, Rams will reveal their new branding tomorrow and possibly something new from the Chargers this week too.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #209 on: March 22, 2020, 06:56:19 PM »
A really good number 2 WR is what the Saints have long been missing, and Emmanuel Sanders is a great signing in that regard.  TB will be much improved with Brady, but the Saints are still the team to beat in the South.

I almost don't want them to win the division. I feel like they've bought into the hype about them during these consecutive 13-3 seasons. I hated that they left themselves in position for the refs to steal the 2018 NFC CG from them and also they should've run the Vikings out of the dome with ease. I feel like they need to be hungry and have something to prove.