Author Topic: Mercyful Fate/king diamond  (Read 23576 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mercyful Fate/king diamond
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2015, 03:34:23 PM »
Given his style of singing and his recent health issues I expected him to be pretty weak live , but everything I have seen from recent tours suggests he is doing great and also has a great stage show for a relatively small act.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2015, 03:39:33 PM »
EDIT: 6 years too late sorry, however, I would love to see that live KD show.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2015, 04:17:19 PM »
He recently due to an eye infection had to do a show without his makeup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_xBj2kNvnc

This is the only time I can think of where he did a full show without it
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2015, 05:06:16 PM »
 :metal
he sounds way better than I expected

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2015, 06:09:15 PM »
Well, damn. Guy played here last night and I never heard about it. With Slayer, no less.

:metal
he sounds way better than I expected
Indeed. Much better than I've heard in other videos.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2015, 05:47:14 AM »
IMO he's sounding better now than he has in a long long time live.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2015, 05:02:27 PM »
Is there an existing live performance of The Storm on the internet? My favorite KD song, and one that would be very interesting to hear live.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2015, 05:15:18 AM »
That's an interesting fav song.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2015, 05:18:43 AM »
He's only 59 ? For some reason I thought he was a lot older than that. Not for the way he looks. I thought he was closer to 69.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2015, 05:23:43 AM »
He's only 59 ? For some reason I thought he was a lot older than that. Not for the way he looks. I thought he was closer to 69.

Really?  He looks pretty damn good for his age IMO.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2015, 05:24:41 AM »
Like I said - nothing to do with the way he looks. I just thought he was a lot older than he is.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2015, 05:33:41 AM »
Fair enough.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2015, 06:12:12 AM »
That's an interesting fav song.
Nostalgia factor played a big role, I've heard it pretty much since I was born.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2015, 04:16:59 PM »
Funny how things like that influence or fav songs sometimes.  It's a killer song nevertheless.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2015, 02:49:20 PM »
got my ticket today :metal :metal King has also said there will be some surprises in the set. Cant wait to find out what those are.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2015, 05:15:17 PM »
got my ticket today :metal :metal King has also said there will be some surprises in the set. Cant wait to find out what those are.

Hopefully if he says surprises, he means surprises.  Some HOG stuff would be amazing.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2015, 06:45:55 PM »
He's in good form of late and a live DVD on the way too .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2017, 11:32:03 PM »
Anyone knows something more than usual people about new King Diamond album? ;) The last thing that I saw was an interview with Andy, and He said "We can't tell that we started doing this, but it's coming."  :D I would like to truly believe that Give Me Your Soul... Please was not the last album from King...

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2017, 01:14:20 AM »
My two favourite songs featuring KD are:

King Diamond - Magic, taken from the album Puppet Master, which may or may not be a popular choice. I honestly have no idea.

Roadrunner United - In the Fire, this featutes King Diamond on vocals and members of Trivium and Ill Nino instrumentally (I think). If anyone is unaware this was taken from an album that came out in 2005 when Roadrunner Records celebrated their 25th anniversary. They got together tons of band members, past and present, who were signed to the label and got them to jam out loads of new music. It is a great album actually and this song is just killer (especially that guitar solo  :hefdaddy).

Opinions on both please  :metal

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2017, 02:38:29 AM »

King Diamond - Magic, taken from the album Puppet Master, which may or may not be a popular choice. I honestly have no idea.

Roadrunner United - In the Fire, this featutes King Diamond on vocals and members of Trivium and Ill Nino instrumentally (I think). If anyone is unaware this was taken from an album that came out in 2005 when Roadrunner Records celebrated their 25th anniversary. They got together tons of band members, past and present, who were signed to the label and got them to jam out loads of new music. It is a great album actually and this song is just killer (especially that guitar solo  :hefdaddy).

MAgic is great, and I havenīt heard that song off the Roadrunner anniversary album yet. I discovered KD in 1989, when I bought Abigail. It scared the sh*t out of me, and I devoured his discography ever since. Seeing him live is on my bucket list...sadly, I moved from Brazil in April this year, and he played Abigail in its entirety there. Oh well, I guess Iīll have to wait for another tour.

I havenīt seen much love in this thread for his first solo album, Fatal Portrait, but I think itīs one of his best albums.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2017, 03:29:48 AM »
Fatal Portrait is awesome.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2017, 05:57:38 AM »
Fatal Portrait is awesome.

:metal great album, Fatal Portrait, Abigail and The Eye are my top picks

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2017, 06:25:09 AM »

Interesting choice with Magic.  Nothing brilliant about it IMO, but nothing bad either.  Great album though.

That In The Fire is a ripper.  Matt from Trivium did an outstanding job writing that in King's style, really well done here.  Matt and Corey rip it up in the solos too.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2017, 07:10:41 AM »
Fatal Portrait is a fine album but when it first came out, I remember feeling slightly disappointed after having been blown away by the last Mercyful Fate album, Don't Break the Oath.  Fatal Portrait took a more straightforward metal approach (but still pretty prog-metallish).  Anyway, I certainly can't complain about the overall direction that King Diamond took with his new band.   :metal

Magic is nice tune, there's a touch of Maiden in there.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2017, 07:29:15 AM »
That In The Fire is a ripper.  Matt from Trivium did an outstanding job writing that in King's style, really well done here.  Matt and Corey rip it up in the solos too.

It really is, especially when you consider that Matt was about 19 at the time this was written! I've often said this is my favourite guitar solo of all time, there is something about it I just love.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2017, 08:19:16 AM »
My favourites are definitly Them, then Abigail and Conspiracy. After that Voodoo is a special one album for me because it was first King album that I bought on a cassette, the same thing goes with House Of God which has some really good songs. I do not know Abigail II well....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2017, 02:54:13 PM »

It really is, especially when you consider that Matt was about 19 at the time this was written! I've often said this is my favourite guitar solo of all time, there is something about it I just love.

Of topic, but Matt was head and shoulders above the other songwriters on that project.  How he wrote different styles for the artists involved was amazing and really well done.

that guitar solo too just builds nicely and just flows so well, great stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2017, 02:55:16 PM »
My favourites are definitly Them, then Abigail and Conspiracy. After that Voodoo is a special one album for me because it was first King album that I bought on a cassette, the same thing goes with House Of God which has some really good songs. I do not know Abigail II well....

Voodoo is probably my least favourite.  For me it was one of the last King albums I got but I don't find it as strong as the others.  House of God was my first and probably still my fav.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2017, 03:04:01 PM »
I prefer his latter albums where his voice was much more controlled and not as eclectic. Give Me Your Soul..Please and The Puppet Master are easily my two favorites. And his band on those albums was incredible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2017, 03:14:10 PM »

Of topic, but Matt was head and shoulders above the other songwriters on that project.  How he wrote different styles for the artists involved was amazing and really well done.

Not heard that before. Music is excellent. Solo  :hefdaddy

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2017, 08:24:51 PM »

Not heard that before. Music is excellent. Solo  :hefdaddy

It really is top quality. I got the album with the 'making of' DVD, I remember seeing this part and just being mesmerized! Both Matt and Corey fucking kill it!!  :hefdaddy

Ok, I'll shut up about this song now, honest...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2017, 04:33:08 AM »
The album has a lot of different stuff on it and I enjoyed it quite a bit.  And yeah, the DVD was awesome and I use to rewind and watch that part over and over, killer.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2017, 11:55:02 AM »
Another cool thing about the KD albums is how the booklets showed not only the lyrics, but also explanations/expansions on the storylines, and which guitar player did each solo. After a few albums you could really identify the different styles of Michael Denner and Andy Larocque.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2017, 03:39:02 PM »
Another cool thing about the KD albums is how the booklets showed not only the lyrics, but also explanations/expansions on the storylines, and which guitar player did each solo. After a few albums you could really identify the different styles of Michael Denner and Andy Larocque.

This was more important especially after Denner left as you have a few guitar players coming in and out.

Denner was great as always and was a good team, but I think I like the LaRocque/Blakk combo the best.  Pete added more of a metal edge than Denner and could shred like a beast.

Herb Simonsen was actually really good on the three albums he played and can't complain what he brought.

Glen Drover was obviously a step up and not sure but actually might play more solos than Andy on House of God.  Glen has a very nice and distinct style and worked really well on that album.

Mike Wead is very good but even though I don't have any issues with his solos and he and Andy work nicely, I feel he doesn't have much of a personality in his playing than some of the others.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2017, 10:34:22 PM »
OK, so I have relisten all KD discography after couple of years and some albums grow on me and some fall down from very high... My actual ranking is:

1. Them (since I remember it was on the top for me)
2. The Eye (total grower, it was somewhere in the middle)
3. Abigail (like Them, always near to the top)
4. House Of God (very close to Puppet Master in my ranking)
5. The Puppet Master (grower, definitly it was at the bottom)
6. Give Me Your Soul... Please (grower with The Puppet Master)
7. Conspiracy (always in the middle)
8. Fatal Portrait (it has fall down unfortunately...)
9. The Graveyard (pure evil, but I always didn't like the production...)
10. Voodoo (the biggest fall in my ranking, it was at the top 3 couple years ago)
11. The Spider's Lullaby (always at the bottom)
12. Abigail II: The Revenge (I just can't get into it...)

So new albums are higher now, I found that I like KD voice better when he was getting older and older, also the stories are great, maybe not including Abigail II.