Author Topic: Mercyful Fate/king diamond  (Read 23540 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Mercyful Fate/king diamond
« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2017, 03:51:19 AM »
I never understood why he had to revisit the Abigail story. And musically, there just wasn't anything memorable about part II either.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2017, 05:54:33 PM »
OK, so I have relisten all KD discography after couple of years and some albums grow on me and some fall down from very high... My actual ranking is:

1. Them (since I remember it was on the top for me)
2. The Eye (total grower, it was somewhere in the middle)
3. Abigail (like Them, always near to the top)
4. House Of God (very close to Puppet Master in my ranking)
5. The Puppet Master (grower, definitly it was at the bottom)
6. Give Me Your Soul... Please (grower with The Puppet Master)
7. Conspiracy (always in the middle)
8. Fatal Portrait (it has fall down unfortunately...)
9. The Graveyard (pure evil, but I always didn't like the production...)
10. Voodoo (the biggest fall in my ranking, it was at the top 3 couple years ago)
11. The Spider's Lullaby (always at the bottom)
12. Abigail II: The Revenge (I just can't get into it...)

So new albums are higher now, I found that I like KD voice better when he was getting older and older, also the stories are great, maybe not including Abigail II.

I think this is quite a solid ranking.  I really like HOG being high and The Eye is a real underrated one.  I would have Abigail 2 higher and Spider a lot higher.

I'll have a go at some rankings off the top of my head;

1. House of God (My first KD album so that's probably why, but still a wonderful metal album)
2. Abigail (Classic, and at the time it was the shred I was looking for)
3. The Spider's Lullaby (I don't know what it is about this one, but I've always loved it)
4. The Eye (Underrated)
5. Conspiracy (solid)
6. The Graveyard (Another underrated one IMO)
7. Them (Production hurts it for me but song quality can't be denied)
8. Abigail 2 (Even though it's not as good as the first, it's still a great album)
9. Give Me Your Soul (A real grower and has aged pretty well)
10. Puppet Master (Didn't age as good as some of the others
11. Fatal Portrait (Probably have never just given it the attention it deserves)
12. Voodoo (Always been my least fav and the only real letdown from King IMO)

This may change if I were to re-listen to all of them.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2017, 08:06:25 PM »
I never understood why he had to revisit the Abigail story. And musically, there just wasn't anything memorable about part II either.

Same here. I don't think I've listened to that one since it came out.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2017, 08:13:53 PM »
I love the music of A2, but vocally, which is always a challenge for me, seems forced to sound like the first one.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2017, 05:33:54 AM »
I love the music of A2, but vocally, which is always a challenge for me, seems forced to sound like the first one.

I'm the opposite.  I don't think he tried to make it sound like the first one at all.  It's completely different to me.  Just sounds like new era King as opposed to old era.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2017, 01:08:13 PM »
I can't rank KD albums. Every time I listen to what I think are my least favorites I end up changing my mind lol.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2017, 07:28:44 PM »
I can't rank KD albums. Every time I listen to what I think are my least favorites I end up changing my mind lol.

Such a strong discography from start to finish.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #112 on: September 05, 2017, 10:28:19 AM »
Very difficult for me to rank, but I'll give it a shot with one caveat.  I'll put them in groups of 2 in which one doesn't come above the other.

Abigail - lush production, great atmosphere, mostly great songs, love the story (probably the best)
Them - great songs but hokey story, so-so production

Conspiracy - intense riffs and playing, Mickey Dee on drums shines
The Graveyard - easily the creepiest story of all, production somewhat dry

The Eye - great songs and story, yeah the drums sound weak
The Spider's Lullabye - a grower, nice variety of songs and riffage

The Puppet Master - cartoony story but great songs, lots of humor, clever use of synesthesia
Give Me Your Soul Please - solid album, in a similar vein to Puppet Master

Fatal Portrait - transitional first album that sounds a lot like Mercyful Fate (as well it should), killer riffs and tunes, not sure why I'm not ranking it higher
House of God - catchy songs, a lot of moments remind me of other metal influences but not in a bad way, not very sinister-sounding, kind of a happy album

Voodoo - intense playing, but the songs are not very memorable
Abigail 2 - the hardest KD album for me to get through, maybe need to give it more spins
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2019, 07:18:05 AM »
Ressurecting this corpse of a topic to say that my review of King's new live album was published today. Check it out, and your comments are appreciated: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/king-diamond-songs-from-the-dead-live/?fbclid=IwAR02RXR-FAvNG9PvTN0d83MHd_7GF2IKxBFhTAt-d3o1eGYUmgnTLOvN5pY

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2019, 07:10:26 AM »
Did anyone else get this blu ray?  I watched it last night and it's amazing.  I wish the two shows had a little different setlists - I know that he played Evil and a few other songs on some shows the prior year.  But this video was filmed on the Abigail 2016 tour, rather than the Mayhem Fest shows a few months prior.

Other than that, it's perfect.  The video quality is fantastic, the band is on fire, King's vocals are absolutely spot on, and the stage show is so damn cool.  I love that stage set with the stairs and evil house vibe.  Of the two shows, I'm leaning towards liking the Graspop video a little more.  It seems to have better editing and shots of the musicians, as opposed to constantly cutting to the fans in the front crowd.  Which was the goal with the Fillmore show, since that was KD headlining in a ballroom with his own fans as opposed to the festival setting.  But it's a bit of an annoyance to constantly cut to some guy in facepaint singing along.

Definitely worth the $19.99 for the disc though!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2019, 08:17:12 AM »
Did anyone else get this blu ray?  I watched it last night and it's amazing.  I wish the two shows had a little different setlists - I know that he played Evil and a few other songs on some shows the prior year.  But this video was filmed on the Abigail 2016 tour, rather than the Mayhem Fest shows a few months prior.

Other than that, it's perfect.  The video quality is fantastic, the band is on fire, King's vocals are absolutely spot on, and the stage show is so damn cool.  I love that stage set with the stairs and evil house vibe.  Of the two shows, I'm leaning towards liking the Graspop video a little more.  It seems to have better editing and shots of the musicians, as opposed to constantly cutting to the fans in the front crowd.  Which was the goal with the Fillmore show, since that was KD headlining in a ballroom with his own fans as opposed to the festival setting.  But it's a bit of an annoyance to constantly cut to some guy in facepaint singing along.

Definitely worth the $19.99 for the disc though!

Fully agree with your comments,  and said the same thing about the setlist in my review  - link just above your post.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2019, 11:22:23 AM »
Ordered the boxset directly from the label. Who knows when I'll get it.

Same thing happened with another band I listen to. Wonder which one.  :justjen

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2019, 05:47:42 PM »
So I just watched the video of Arrival from Graspop. I'm extremely skeptical that those are not studio vocals.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2019, 07:27:41 PM »
This is a video from 2015, one year prior to the DVD recordings and he sounds incredibly good.  I don't doubt that he touched some things up for the recordings, but the guy can still sing his ass off.  After his heart surgery, he cleaned up his health and his voice really came back to life compared to where it was in the early-mid 2000's.

His wife does sing backups off to the side of the stairs and it looks like she comes in on a lot of the high stuff.  It adds another layer to some of those sections and probably also acts as a backup just in case he doesn't quite hit it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hCe108Y95I

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2019, 07:39:32 PM »
Yeah, that definitely sounded good. Great band!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2019, 04:07:34 AM »
So I just watched the video of Arrival from Graspop. I'm extremely skeptical that those are not studio vocals.

Have only watched a couple of clips but a lot of what I've seen seems legit, but there would definitely be some studio magic going on.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2019, 09:24:38 AM »
It does seem like some stuff is touched up which is kind of ridiculous because the last few times I saw him he sounded better than ever.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2019, 04:48:10 PM »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2019, 05:07:34 PM »
New King Diamond song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmG2srrqonk

Good stuff - pretty standard riff etc.......but sounds great and nice little change up at the end which gave it a bit more of a unique vibe.  I haven't always been a huge fan but I like the sound of this.  After listening to Alter Bridge this is like rinsing my ears out - nice clear production too.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2019, 05:13:23 PM »
My brother is seeing him live tonight. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2019, 06:36:01 PM »
Just saw KD last night in Brooklyn and had an absolute blast. I think I was smiling ear to ear the entire show. My only regret was that he didn’t play anything from Give Me Your Soul or Puppet Master. But the crowd was SO into it.

It was telling that leading into the show, they played 2 tunes by Uriah Heep (sorta like the way Maiden does Doctor Doctor by UFO). I think it shows how King Diamond’s music is very much steeped in 70s hard rock.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2019, 06:37:21 PM »
New King Diamond song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmG2srrqonk

Good stuff - pretty standard riff etc.......but sounds great and nice little change up at the end which gave it a bit more of a unique vibe.  I haven't always been a huge fan but I like the sound of this.  After listening to Alter Bridge this is like rinsing my ears out - nice clear production too.

Agree.  This is really really good and reminds me heavily of the Graveyard/Voodoo era with a bit of Abigail 2. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2019, 06:38:11 PM »
Just saw KD last night in Brooklyn and had an absolute blast. I think I was smiling ear to ear the entire show. My only regret was that he didn’t play anything from Give Me Your Soul or Puppet Master. But the crowd was SO into it.

It was telling that leading into the show, they played 2 tunes by Uriah Heep (sorta like the way Maiden does Doctor Doctor by UFO). I think it shows how King Diamond’s music is very much steeped in 70s hard rock.

Nice, Gord! I didn't even know he was touring.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2019, 06:43:31 PM »

Nice, Gord! I didn't even know he was touring.

Tim if there’s any opportunity for you to see him, I highly recommend it. He puts on a killer show.

I understand he will be doing a tour with both KD and MF in the future, with Joey Vera filling in for the recently deceased Timi G Hansen on bass for MF. Don’t pass it up!
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2019, 06:44:38 PM »
That double bill is going to destroy the King vocally.  Might have to be very precise and specific with his track selection.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2019, 06:47:02 PM »
That double bill is going to destroy the King vocally.  Might have to be very precise and specific with his track selection.

Yep. Especially if he does the classic MF stuff from those first 2 albums. A tall order.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2019, 06:48:01 PM »

Good, hopefully as Gord said, more Puppet Master and GMYS...P material, which we all know will never happen.

Tim if there’s any opportunity for you to see him, I highly recommend it. He puts on a killer show.

I understand he will be doing a tour with both KD and MF in the future, with Joey Vera filling in for the recently deceased Timi G Hansen on bass for MF. Don’t pass it up!

Joey vera? Damn!

To think I walked out of TWO of his shows in the 80's.. :facepalm: :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2019, 06:50:03 PM »

Good, hopefully as Gord said, more Puppet Master and GMYS...P material, which we all know will never happen.

Joey vera? Damn!

To think I walked out of TWO of his shows in the 80's.. :facepalm: :lol

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: You’re killing me! But you did tell me about those unfortunate incidents.  :loser:
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2019, 06:51:32 PM »
Ironic that for one of those, I only went to see Joey Vera's band.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2019, 06:53:01 PM »
As they say about Joey Vera... six degrees of separation.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: November 08, 2019, 06:53:38 PM »

Yep. Especially if he does the classic MF stuff from those first 2 albums. A tall order.

Don't see him playing stuff from albums like Dead Again, 9, Time etc would be all that popular.  Same would be said for Spiders onwards in relation to KD.  It's a big ask.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #136 on: November 08, 2019, 06:55:51 PM »
I highly prefer Spiders onward.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #137 on: November 08, 2019, 06:58:46 PM »
I’d be perfectly happy with anything from Spiders. Some killer riffs on that album.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: November 08, 2019, 07:11:58 PM »
I’d be perfectly happy with anything from Spiders. Some killer riffs on that album.

I'd be happy to see KD  :lol  Love his entire collection so wouldn't mind what I saw.  I'd love a set of deep cuts from Eye through to Puppet Master.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #139 on: November 08, 2019, 07:17:48 PM »
Saw KD on the Abigail anniversary tour a couple years back. Definitely in the top 5 concerts I’ve ever been to (and I’ve seen almost everybody). His voice was as good as ever and the show is great. Definitely going to see him again when he comes through my area in 2 weeks. If you’re thinking about seeing the show, DO IT! Recommended to any metal fan.

Side note: I wish Mike Portnoy would get a gig with King Diamond. I think he’d be a perfect fit stylistically, and he would do those old Mikkey Dee songs justice.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 09:33:46 PM by Volante99 »