Author Topic: Cyril's Album a Day for February (#29 - Rush)  (Read 7039 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Cyril's Album a Day for February (#11 - Lysistrata)
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2020, 08:12:58 AM »

12) Earthrise - Eras Lost

if i were listening to this for my own personal enjoyment, i would've stopped halfway through the first song. so it is an accomplishment i made it as deep as the eighth track, i think. at least with the other albums i've really disliked, they had the decency to be relatively short. i could not sit through this, though. it started off real bad, got better for a few tracks, then descended back into the worst kind of chuggy and tuneless post-metal where heaviness is prioritized over everything and all the songs feel like they blend in together. the -core elements mixed in only make it worse too. i really, really did not enjoy this at all

would i relisten? (yes/maybe/no) - N/A, did not finish
Come on man, you already convinced me at “would’ve stopped halfway through the first song”, no need to keep trying to convince me!

EDIT: Should have listened to you, I also had the urge to turn this off during the first track and luckily have no obligation not to do so :lol
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 08:21:58 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Cyril's Album a Day for February (#12 - Earthrise)
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2020, 08:39:07 AM »
if you agree that it's that bad then i feel 100% justified in my decision

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Cyril's Album a Day for February (#12 - Earthrise)
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2020, 08:13:14 PM »

Skein - Of Wings Unfolding

this is like the other side of the coin of the last one, where instead of being mostly post-metal with some -core elements this is -core with some post-metal elements. i think it started out really bad but after the first few tracks was mostly just... fine? i'll be honest at some point i kind of just zoned out with this one, it didn't hold my interest at all. it's a step up from the last album though because aside from the rough start it's mostly pleasant enough.

would i relisten? (yes/maybe/no) - no

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Cyril's Album a Day for February (#13 - Skein)
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2020, 04:27:17 PM »

Izthmi - The Arrows of Our Ways

too many black metal albums out today so the fact that this one stood out to me over all the others i've heard is like, the reason why i'm picking it? good production, felt pretty diverse and still nicely atmospheric and heavy, and while it's not especially unique it doesn't run too long and stayed enjoyable across its entire runtime. so, yeah. solid black metal!

would i relisten? (yes/maybe/no) - yes

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Cyril's Album a Day for February (#14 - Izthmi)
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2020, 05:17:51 PM »
okay here's the deal - i'm bored as hell by most of the stuff i've been recommended and the 72 minute allegaeon album was the breaking point so i'm just gonna suspend this and pick out the albums i actually am interested in & then fill up the rest of the month with my own stuff. anyways i already listened to an album earlier today that's more interesting to write about so i'm gonna do that now

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2020, 05:24:26 PM »

Loathe - I Let It in and It Took Everything

hhmm. i kinda expected this to be not my thing, and in a sense, it was - some of the djentier -core stuff doesn't do it for me - but there was also some heavy stuff here i did like too, so it's not a complete miss in that regards. combined with a number of songs being fairly solid alt-metal type cuts and a general sense of flow throughout, i think after like the first few tracks i was pretty into mostof the rest, even if it didn't blow me away either. i'm still not particularly impressed by this style of low-chugging riffing anyways, but there's good texture to the guitar tone that at least made some of it work. a bit conflicted about this one but i guess, overall pleasantly surprised?

would i relisten? (yes/maybe/no) - maybe

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2020, 05:25:50 PM »
okay here's the deal - i'm bored as hell by most of the stuff i've been recommended and the 72 minute allegaeon album was the breaking point so i'm just gonna suspend this and pick out the albums i actually am interested in & then fill up the rest of the month with my own stuff. anyways i already listened to an album earlier today that's more interesting to write about so i'm gonna do that now
:lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Cyril's Album a Day for February (#15 - Loathe)
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2020, 05:30:35 PM »
here's my review of the allegaeon album btw:

do they have more than one song? like for real? all i hear is the same song over and over and they inserted some spanish guitar into the second half of one of the songs the one time. i only got halfway through. i tried listening to their album last year and it was also the same song over and over. their vocalist in particular sucks. most boring, flat -core vocals i've heard in ages. why would anyone listen to 72 minutes of this

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2020, 06:49:24 PM »
okay i updated the OP with an edited list including stuff that i'd actually be curious to check out of my own accord. mostly the list is still filled out but i have some free spaces towards the end that i'll need to find something to fill

also if i'm finding an album super boring (not necessarily bad just uninteresting) i might replace it with something of my own choosing as well

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2020, 11:27:30 PM »
Boooo
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2020, 11:40:32 PM »
i am doing this voluntarily so i won't hear any complaints  :hat

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2020, 01:39:11 AM »
Welllll you could still queue up the Low album :corn
Loathe pretty good
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2020, 11:13:38 AM »
"glitch pop" is a phrase that makes me get yeeted into space

i don't like glitch- anything

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2020, 06:24:13 PM »

Mother of Millions - Artifacts

i really don't know what to say about this one, it's bog-standard prog rock/metal of the low technicality high melancholy type. honestly i don't even think it should be labelled prog at all. and anyways it's. fine. nothing about it really stood out to me but i didn't find it unpleasant either. it did feel maybe a tad short? 40 minutes and kind of slow-paced overall so it felt like not much happened. anyways yeah. this existed. it's fine

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Cyril's Album a Day for February (#16 - Mother of Millions)
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2020, 06:30:52 PM »
Looking forward to your review of Slow Motion Reign.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Cyril's Album a Day for February (#16 - Mother of Millions)
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2020, 09:06:24 PM »

Slow Motion Reign - Self Titled

i'll preface by saying that this type of rock/album in general isn't for me. it's something i can listen to and enjoy but it doesn't really appeal to me in a way where i'd go back and listen to it again. but for what it is, i did enjoy it a fair bit. i was under the impression this was some kind of prog rock, which it really isn't, it's more early 2000's alt rock than anything. and there are some good songs here. a lot that kind of just passed right by me, but i didn't really dislike anything here either. i dunno. this is an awkward spot where i'm mostly just neutral on the whole thing and in particular this style of vocals isn't really ever going to work for me, but i did like this overall.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Cyril's Album a Day for February (#17 - Slow Motion Reign)
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2020, 09:10:36 PM »
Very fair. I was going for something not in your wheelhouse.  I figured most would not send an album like this. 

Yoi know how produced this album?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2020, 07:34:04 PM »

Cloud Nothings - Attack On Memory

free choice day for me so i picked a highly-rated post-hardcore album off RYM. and i mean. well. yes, i saw the other tags. i don't really actually hear the post-hardcore here but that's fine, it's still solid emo/indie type stuff. did i find it especially engaging or emotionally hard-hitting? no. did i like the vocals? not that much. is it a bit short? yeah. but the instrumentation on a few tracks i did dig, they get into some nice grooves, and it's overall... solid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Cyril's Album a Day for February (#18 - Cloud Nothings)
« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2020, 08:49:00 PM »

Alexisonfire - Crisis

this is more up my alley in post-hardcore than what i listened to yesterday lol. admittedly i think the -core screams aren't very good and it's lacking a good album feel to it but the songs themselves are mostly pretty solid. i wouldn't say any of it stood out to me as especially strong on first listen but i did enjoy all of it well enough. don't know if this is going to be something i follow up on but i do wanna spin it at least one more time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Cyril's Album a Day for February (#19 - Alexisonfire)
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2020, 08:43:01 PM »

Architects - Lost Forever // Lost Together

post-hardcore/metalcore with a bit of a djent edge to it. i've actually listened to holy hell from these guys before which was... alright. mostly listened to it because of its themes. i don't know what this one's themes are but it seems pretty similar to that one, albeit with less synth stuff going on, which i'm fine with. i do think the djent tendencies distract at times and i never found it especially gripping, but as far as -core in this style goes it was otherwise a pretty solid and enjoyable listen, not one i can really complain about to any capacity even if i didn't love it

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2020, 08:49:20 PM »
Yoi know how produced this album?

I just looked that up. Serj? WTF?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Cyril's Album a Day for February (#20 - Architects)
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2020, 02:56:47 AM »
I never got into Architects much, Hollow Crown is the only album by them I like. The vocals are super exhausting to my ears, but that album is where they peaked instrumentally imo.

Also think I should try that Alexisonfire even though I don't line up with this kind of music completely all the time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2020, 06:25:24 PM »

Yurodivy - Tell Me When the Party's Over

this took a bit to get its hooks in me but it did get to me eventually and then by At the End of the Night I was pretty damn into it. good screamo/post-hardcore stuff right here, good album flow & good individual songs as well. honestly one of the better albums in the style i've heard in some time due to just overall good pacing and room to breathe between more intense moments, plus a solid level of diversity. pretty much exactly what i'm looking for in the style.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Cyril's Album a Day for February (#21 - Yurodivy)
« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2020, 06:30:49 PM »
That sounds like something you should send to me in my roulette.... :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2020, 06:34:48 PM »
i've intentionally restricted all submissions in your roulette to 2019 songs so i can keep my pool of choices narrow

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2020, 05:33:44 AM »
I'll probably end up checking this out cause the album art is really cool and I wanna convince myself to like this enough to buy it on physical format

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2020, 09:06:04 AM »
the album cover has incredible boomer energy imo but sure :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2020, 07:54:16 PM »

Gold - Why Aren't You Laughing?

admittedly i wasn't quite sure what to expect with this one, and admittedly i am a bit sidetracked at the moment so this wasn't the most attentive listen, but there's just... a stylistic disconnect on this one for me, i feel like. it's all vaguely pleasant in general and didn't feel like it ran too long (though a few tracks felt a bit sluggish) but nothing ever hit hard or really caught my attention either. i see this is tagged as "gothic rock" and "post-punk" on rym though which, neither are ever really my jam so it probably is just me here. i kind of want to relisten to this in better conditions just to see if i'm missing anything but i don't expect my opinions to change that much either. meh

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2020, 07:58:23 PM »

That is one fucked up album cover.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Cyril's Album a Day for February (#22 - Gold)
« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2020, 01:42:40 AM »
I have a hard time describing what I like so much about that Gold album. The post-rock/metal side of their sound is honestly very straightforward on its own, I just think the combination with that and almost Mew-like vocals is brilliant, and makes the songs super catchy but also punchy. Wide-Eyed, Why Aren't You Laughing? and Taken By Storm are my focus tracks at the moment.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Cyril's Album a Day for February (#22 - Gold)
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2020, 07:06:33 PM »

Halsey - Manic

i can definitely see something in this one, which is more than i was expecting... the entire run from around graveyard or so through 3 AM was all good but without me really does not belong here and sort of killed the momentum of the album for me. not that there weren't any good tracks after but nothing that gripped me as strongly, and it probably has an issue of having too many tracks especially for the runtime. overall i'm still feeling more positive than not on this though

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Cyril's Album a Day for February (#23 - Halsey)
« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2020, 08:14:03 PM »

Awooga - Conduit

well stoner metal is pretty much all riffs so i expected that but i also was more into this than i was expecting? there's a... vibe to it, which is kinda of what the genre is all about i'm aware. a mostly consistent sound and not a lot of variety but the riffs are generally solid and the vocals match them well, songs generally don't feel like they drag. i appreciate the change of pace for the closer after the long 11 minute track too, albeit the album runs too short for it to need to be this long? still overall mostly pleased with this one even if the style isn't fully clicking for me. it's enjoyable, though

Online mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
Re: Cyril's Album a Day for February (#24 - Awooga)
« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2020, 04:12:22 AM »
I stumbled onto Awooga on you tube.  Check out the album cover for the Aipha album. Someone purposely but the music to Conduit with the Alpha album cover.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2020, 05:48:07 AM »
Halsey good
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2020, 09:05:56 PM »

Tanagra - None of This is Real

ok this is cheating because i'm just using this as an excuse to listen to an album i got in the mail. their album last year i thought was a solid power/prog metal hybrid that i wouldn't have gotten if not for wanting to support the band after their recent (completely bs) lawsuit but i did like the style. this is just straight-up power metal though which has never been my thing and probably never will be. kind of weirdly dated-sounding production on this too. ehh. i don't really think it's bad or anything but if not for the fact that i already own it i wouldn't likely listen to it again

would i relisten? (yes/maybe/no) - uuhhh