Author Topic: Billie Eilish  (Read 5343 times)

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
Re: Billie Eilish
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2020, 05:50:10 AM »
I must admit, it was a GREAT show.

Review! Review! Review!

Well, as I was taking my daughter, and she was the real fan, I don't think my review will have much of the detail you are looking for.
It was her brother on guitar/bass/keyboards, and there was a drummer too.  Both sounded really really good, and they were obviously backed with pre-recorded tracks.  Yes a LOT of singing by young girls in the crowd, but I did hear Billie sing, and she was spot on...sounded great.  Great energy and personality. 
Stage show had a lot of video projected on back screen, and some was seriously well done.  She went up on catwalks above the crowd, and did a few songs at a piano with her and her brother on guitar at the back of the arena.  Performed all her hits and her set was about 1.5 hours long I think.  Oh and we saw J-Lo there :)
Overall, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the show.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2020, 12:15:03 PM »
My Future is one of the most unique and well written pop songs I've heard in a long time. I've officially transitioned from loving Billie Eilish's music to being a bonafide fan.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Pettor

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2021, 11:12:45 AM »
For me Billie has outputted some of the coolest produced pop I heard in a long time. Much thanks to the top notch, and for me, innovative production. Watched these videos about how the songs came to be in collaboration with her brother Finneas:

https://youtu.be/kpx2-EMfdbg

https://youtu.be/FsSkRjgjFvU

Really worth watching imo!

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2021, 03:54:57 PM »
Looking forward to her new album this Friday.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2021, 02:31:13 PM »
After my first full listen to Happier Than Ever, here are my initial thoughts.

This album definitely has a more positive vibe than the debut, but it’s sound is also more subdued. Make no mistake about it though, despite an overall more positive vibe, it still has some bite. Songs like Not My Responsibility, Your Power, and NDA focus on some of the darker aspects of fame, and the title track is a song of spiteful happiness, an anthem for those who have been hurt but persevered out of sheer stubbornness.

Speaking of the title track, it’s one of her most unique songs, and musically is the hardest hitting one. Starting off as a folky ballad and ending as a 6/8 punk rock anthem, it covers a lot of ground musically, and is one of the highlights of the record.

Oxytocin slaps. There’s nothing more that really needs to be said. I was smiling like an idiot the whole time, completely entranced by it’s groove.

My Future is still my favorite song on the album. I can vibe out all day to it. I remember being super emotional the first time I heard it and it still leaves an impact every time I hear it.

I need more time to sit with it; Billie and Finneas tend to write music that takes a few listens to fully digest which is why I love them so much, but for now I still think the first album is a bit better. With that said, this is an absolutely incredible record, and the more optimistic sound is a great contrast to the debut’s overall darker vibe. Both records will remain in my rotation for years to come, and two albums in Billie already has quite the impressive body of work. She’s on top of the world right now.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline emtee

« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2021, 02:40:25 PM »
She has a soooo much talent! Emotion just oozes from her voice. I'm buying this album for sure.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2021, 04:38:46 PM »
Loved the album on first listen. The title track is awesome. And yes Oxytocin does indeed slap.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2021, 08:45:10 PM »
Think I already like it more than her debut which I love.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2021, 01:50:15 AM »
Looking forward to listening to this one! But Big Big Train's Common Ground and David Crosby's For Free just came out too and they are both very good, so I don't know what listen to first ;) I loved Billie's debut though and I'm excited to hear where she's going musically.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2021, 05:56:13 AM »
Looking forward to listening to this one! But Big Big Train's Common Ground and David Crosby's For Free just came out too and they are both very good, so I don't know what listen to first ;) I loved Billie's debut though and I'm excited to hear where she's going musically.
She expanded her sound and refined it as well.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2021, 07:49:52 AM »
Most of what I have heard by her is okay, but I cannot usually get on board with her mumbly style of singing.  I will say though that the title track from her new album is pretty fantastic.  That is one song I can get on board with in a big way.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2021, 05:35:21 AM »
Yeah I love the title track, really enjoyed that first listen where the build was just so unexpected.

There are a whole bunch of really good songs on the album too, another great one.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2022, 05:58:53 PM »
Thread bump!

I ended up having my days off at worked switched randomly, and this allowed me the opportunity to go see Billie Eilish tonight at MSG. It’s my first concert since before the pandemic, and I couldn’t be more excited. I’ll give an update when the show is over, with whatever pictures I take.

-MirrorMask

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2022, 10:38:35 PM »
Thread bump!

I ended up having my days off at worked switched randomly, and this allowed me the opportunity to go see Billie Eilish tonight at MSG. It’s my first concert since before the pandemic, and I couldn’t be more excited. I’ll give an update when the show is over, with whatever pictures I take.

Looking forward to your report  :) I'm a big Billie fan and would like to see her live but I am not sure how she puts her kind of music on a stage.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2022, 09:04:10 AM »
So I ended up falling asleep as soon as I got home, which is good as it means I had no energy left after the show. I’ll give some thoughts, but the pictures I took aren’t great so I’ll leave them out.

The stage setup was really nice. The backdrop was a giant LED screen, and the entire walkable stage was also a screen. This allowed for some really cool visuals during the performance. There was a catwalk that stretched from the main part of the stage to about halfway into the GA area. On piece of stage towards the back was able to fold up to turn into a ramp so Billie could walk up and interact with the band and Finneas could come down for a few spots, like the end of All the Good Girls go to Hell where the end is just bass. On the other side of the venue where I was sitting there was a second little stage which had a hydraulic lift so Billie could perform above the crowd. She used this for Overheated and the medley of older songs that followed. The production value was insane, something I’m not used to as the only artist I’ve seen with comparable fame and success is Metallica, who use their production money more for pyro and fireworks, which Billie had none of. She did have fog, lasers, and strobes, which add so much to a concert.

Her touring band is still minimalist, with a drummer stage left and her brother playing bass, keys, guitar, and auxiliary percussion stage right throughout the night. The rest of the instrumentation was played through backing tracks, but the live drums really added a lot of energy to the performance. Both musicians were set up way towards the back of the stage, but Finneas moved around quite a bit and Your Power was used as a spot to have him sit with Billie at the front of the stage with them both playing acoustic guitar on the song.

Now onto the actual performance. She opened with Bury a Friend, which is my favorite song of hers. She has so much energy it’s insane. She’s jumping around on stage, running from end to end, doing back bends, dancing, all while actually singing, and other than the slow songs, she did this the entire night. The girl is a born performer. She made a point to make everyone feel like they were part of the show, addressing the nosebleeds, encouraging crowd interaction, and overall just oozing charisma. At one point she had everyone take out their phone flashlights and had us do the wave with them. It’s a silly thing but it served to bring the entire crowd together.

I also loved how genuine and kind she came off as. Every time she addressed the crowd to tell them to jump around or dance, she always said “if you’re able” and said if you can’t that’s perfectly fine, acknowledging anyone with a disability and letting them know they’re still a part of it no matter what. During Getting Older, as she looked at the footage of her as a child playing behind her and then looked out to a sold out Madison Square Garden in front of her, the reality of her success hit her and she broke down crying. She powered through the performance after a brief moment of having the crowd sing along, which we were doing anyway. She admitted as such after the song, and jokingly said “well that’s embarrassing and hopefully it won’t happen again”. During Lost Cause, as she was sitting at the edge of the stage in front of the GA area, a bunch of fans handed her flowers during the line “I sent you flowers” and the timing of it made her crack up laughing. At the end of the show her, Finneas, and the drummer slid down the ramp in a moment of post show bliss. During these moments you heard no vocals, proving that she’s actually singing. These little things really made her stand out as a humble, genuine, kindhearted person. It was an absolute joy to see that come out in the performance.

Going back to the performance, I have never seen a show quite like this. The combination of a few instruments and backing tracks found the perfect middle ground between the energy of live performance and the safe predictability of tracks. The show always felt live, and it also went off without a hitch. Billie is absolutely incredible, she didn’t miss a note, and as noted above, she was actually singing the whole show (you could hear her heavier breathing during the more energetic moments of the show as well). It was a technologically flawless show, and the little human moments, mostly from her, added to the show instead of taking away. It’s very rare I don’t have a complaint about a concert as I’m usually very critical, and while I did miss My Future, it’s absence from the set didn’t hurt the show, as every song felt like it was where it should be in the set. She played for two hours and it flew by. This is probably the best show I’ve ever seen as far as everything coming together perfectly, and I will now make it a point to see her every time she comes around to the NYC area.

-MirrorMask