Author Topic: Billie Eilish  (Read 5347 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Billie Eilish
« on: January 29, 2020, 10:14:35 AM »
Am I the only one who is in love with her debut album When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?

I've been listening to her tunes intensively for two days now and I can't stop. That combination of minimalistic trap stuff and beautiful ballads is just gold. Lana Del Rey fans (like me) should definitely check the album out. What do you guys think?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Billie Eilish
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 10:25:50 AM »
Cyril is a fan I think, he sent her in my roulette
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 10:27:27 AM »
I don't understand it.  I listened to her and her brother's interview/performance on Howard Stern and also watched her at the Grammys.  I totally respect the music, but for my tastes, I have trouble liking it.  It's just not for me and my musical tastes, but I do respect what they are doing.  Her brother seems like a real musical guy and they've got a good relationship working together.  I think her look also kind of throws me off.  Totally changing the way a pop star looks and sounds, I'll say it again, I respect it even though I think I'd have trouble listening to an entire album.  She does have a great voice.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 10:29:04 AM »
I like the album. It's a good album. I don't think it rises to the level of "five or six Grammys" or even one Grammy - well, maybe for "Bad Guy" being one of the best pop songs of 2019, sure - but it's a good album with a really bizarre, unique sound, super heavy on the low end but also maddeningly quiet and ethereal for a large part of its runtime. I can't wait to hear what she does next.

At first I didn't get her look, but I had never heard of her at the time. Over the year it grew on me; I kinda dig her style and her whole nonchalant attitude about most things. She's an interesting young artist.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 10:55:20 AM »
Bad guy is the worst of her hit songs and one of the weaker tracks on the album

Like half the album is excellent and the other half is mediocre tbh

Everything I Wanted is also very good

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 11:02:06 AM »
Bad Guy review from rateyourmusic.com

This is music?????  It's more like mumbling set to a beat.

Lol this is so accurate, but anyway, the bass line is so good (it's only good because it was stolen of Plants vs Zombies of course, is not like these people actually have any talent at all) and I couldn't care any less for the girl that mumbles here.

Fun song.

but I also can't help but wonder, where was the hype/Grammy for Kimya Dawson?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 11:10:10 AM »
Bad guy is the worst of her hit songs and one of the weaker tracks on the album

Like half the album is excellent and the other half is mediocre tbh

Everything I Wanted is also very good

wat
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 11:16:59 AM »
I heard a ballad the other day and was surprised at how good it sounded, but her other stuff and especially Bad Guy is pretty terrible.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 11:44:30 AM »
I'm right, Katt

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 12:00:16 PM »

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 12:34:01 PM »
I like the stuff I've heard from her.  Which, to be accurate, isn't all that much.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 12:35:20 PM »
I quite like the album, even own it.

But her best song imo is her most recent Everything I Wanted.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 12:59:30 PM »
the bass line is so good and I couldn't care any less for the girl that mumbles here.

The bass line is literally accentuating chord tones and doing nothing else. I have trouble viewing that as 'good'. That said, I don't think Bad Guy is representative of what the girl can do with her voice at all, she's a good singer that's portraying a unique style both in her music as in her image and music videos. I think that's good for the pop music world, but I honestly don't really care about my opinion on her too much, so take all of this with a grain of salt. It's ... fine, I think. And she has a couple good songs, but most of it is not really my cup of tea, so to speak. A bit like ABBA in that sense, except you can actually somewhat dance to ABBA's music. Wait, that's a terrible comparison. Why am I typing this again?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2020, 01:02:31 PM »
the bass line is so good and I couldn't care any less for the girl that mumbles here.

The bass line is literally accentuating chord tones and doing nothing else. I have trouble viewing that as 'good'. That said, I don't think Bad Guy is representative of what the girl can do with her voice at all, she's a good singer that's portraying a unique style both in her music as in her image and music videos. I think that's good for the pop music world, but I honestly don't really care about my opinion on her too much, so take all of this with a grain of salt. It's ... fine, I think. And she has a couple good songs, but most of it is not really my cup of tea, so to speak. A bit like ABBA in that sense, except you can actually somewhat dance to ABBA's music. Wait, that's a terrible comparison. Why am I typing this again?

Nothing wrong with that imo. Tons of hit songs do exactly that, and it works especially well with bass lines

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 01:06:19 PM »
She's cool and I wish people would leave her alone about her music style and look. Clearly, she's expressing herself and having fun; if anything the look is a little 2012, so you know it's not just stylists crafting it head to toe with the trends in mind. As far as the music goes, you can't deny her/her brother uniqueness - though I can recognize the basics of all the elements, the sound of her album is pretty fresh.

Her music isn't my cup of tea though. Can see the talent, but I'm waiting for the "mature artist comeback album" from her in about 15 years  :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2020, 02:18:56 PM »
Excellent album.

Only listened because Steven Wilson mentioned the production just before Christmas.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2020, 03:08:47 PM »
Amazing. Easily one of the best albums of 2019, very unique sound and super diverse throughout. I looove the reverse overture in the last track, reprising all the songs all the way back until bad guy.

My favorite tracks change all the time, but all the good girls go to hell is the one that always stays at the top for me.

Also Fineas deserves all the hype, he does all of the production and it’s a better mix than 99% of the albums I listen to
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2020, 03:43:00 PM »
Also Fineas deserves all the hype, he does all of the production and it’s a better mix than 99% of the albums I listen to

Couldn't recall his name when I shared my response earlier, he came off as a real cool dude in the Howard Stern interview.  I definitely got the feeling this guy was the magic behind the music and his sister was the face/voice of it all.  Kind of a really cool brother sister duo that works perfectly.  Hopefully they don't turn to hate each other with the success but as of now, they seem to have been handling it real well for such young siblings.

Offline DTA

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2020, 03:56:12 PM »
Great album, and I think she is as honest and genuine as it gets as a writer/performer which is pretty refreshing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2020, 04:28:47 PM »
She kicked off season 9 of Hot Ones last year and that's where I first heard of her (it's the show with hot questions and even hotter wings). Good ep too, she has a very fun and charming personality. Like most kids in their upper teens. Let's see how goofy she is after a few years of megastardom  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDr4ITrp7YI

Offline pg1067

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2020, 07:14:49 PM »
I believe my 16yo daughter likes her (as do a lot of high school aged girls).  She suggested that I would not.  I vaguely recall listening to a bit of one song (no idea which one), and that confirmed the daughter's assessment.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2020, 07:20:16 PM »
Never heard of her till yesterday. Went to YT, first link I clicked was Bad Boy, made it through 5 seconds, tried a different song, happy to hear not everything she does is monotonous mumbling. Still, not my thing.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2020, 07:57:41 PM »
I couldn't imagine her live shows. Really enjoyed the debut album but the live clips I've seen, it just seems like everyone shouting the lyrics to the point you can't hear her. Doesn't sound like much fun, but it's cool to see what she's doing and the metalheads that have taken to her.

Mikael Akerfeldt on Billie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jes1rTJH2_8
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2020, 01:10:12 AM »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2020, 09:20:44 AM »
Love love LOVE Billie Eilish. Her and Finneas have some great musical ideas, her voice conveys all of the emotion of her songs, and Finneas has a great sense of production. Some of the ideas (like putting in a wobbly, hazy sub bass on “Xanny” to create the feeling of second hand smoke being blown in your face, or eq’ing Billie’s voice in different ways on “8” to make it sound like she’s singing at different ages) are genius and add a different layer to the music. It’s refreshing to hear a modern pop album written by two people and produced by one, and the results are incredible. Pop music in general has been on an upward trend this past year, and When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? as well as Ariana Grande’s Thank U, Next are the pinnacle of this past year’s incredible collection of pop albums.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2020, 09:24:17 AM »
Love love LOVE Billie Eilish. Her and Finneas have some great musical ideas, her voice conveys all of the emotion of her songs, and Finneas has a great sense of production. Some of the ideas (like putting in a wobbly, hazy sub bass on “Xanny” to create the feeling of second hand smoke being blown in your face, or eq’ing Billie’s voice in different ways on “8” to make it sound like she’s singing at different ages) are genius and add a different layer to the music. It’s refreshing to hear a modern pop album written by two people and produced by one, and the results are incredible. Pop music in general has been on an upward trend this past year, and When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? as well as Ariana Grande’s Thank U, Next are the pinnacle of this past year’s incredible collection of pop albums.

Agree with all this but particularly the bolded parts. 100% agree, that is awesome. The craziest thing? This album, the one that took home all those Grammys and made her the youngest person and first woman to take home all 4 main Grammys in a single year, was just made in a bedroom.

I never did get around to that Ariana Grande record but I know the title track and it's great.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2020, 09:26:15 AM »
I listened to Bad Guy.

It was cool, nothing super special, but I loved the video.

But then I watched her and her brother explaining how they did the song and I have a much deeper respect for it. That was pretty awesome.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2020, 09:45:47 AM »
I do NOT like ... period
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2020, 09:47:24 AM »
It's not my type of music, but I appreciate/respect what she is doing.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2020, 09:53:56 AM »
Pop music in general has been on an upward trend this past year, and When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? as well as Ariana Grande’s Thank U, Next are the pinnacle of this past year’s incredible collection of pop albums.

I don't really keep up with mainstream music, but I have started kind of feeling this as well.  There's been more new pop music that I enjoy now than I can remember since like the 90s.  I'm seeing a band tonight Set it Off that released a pop album in 2019, I'm surprised I actually like it.  I know Kat has recommended Halsey to me as well.  And while I'm not sure I really like Billie Eilish at all, I do respect what they are doing and I can get behind pop having some more interesting and fresh musical ideas.

Online Adami

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2020, 02:42:01 PM »
I think a full on weird collaboration between her and Childish Gambino would be really cool. Especially the video.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2020, 01:16:13 AM »
Wow, I come back after two days to find 30 replies to a post I did about an 18 year old girl in a prog metal forum.. There must be something about her  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2020, 10:45:36 AM »
I think a full on weird collaboration between her and Childish Gambino would be really cool. Especially the video.
I agree with you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2020, 11:33:47 AM »
My 13 yr old daughter LOVES Billie Eilish.  She has been into her for almost 2 years I think.  I remember getting her Billie posters and t-shirts for Christmas 2018.  I did score pre-sale tickets for us to see her in Miami on the first show of the new tour.  8th row.  She is going to love it.

And I must admit, her music is pretty damn good.  Yes it is different, and I'm an old fogey....but there is good songwriting underneath it all.  Great catchy melodies, with a very identifiable sound.  She's a legit talent.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online Adami

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2020, 11:35:24 AM »
Her music doesn't totally connect with me, based on what little I've heard, but she seems to be completely authentic, which is refreshing. Her music seems to come just from her and her brother and their minds, and not super polished from the pop music machine that pumps out soulless hit after hit. She's doing her thing and seems to really love her own music. So I dig that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com