Author Topic: Stuff on Netflix  (Read 42774 times)

Offline The Realm

Re: Stuff on Netflix
« Reply #420 on: April 03, 2024, 02:29:06 PM »
Also just finished 3 Body Problem. Really enjoyed it. Not sure what the ratings/viewer numbers are but really hope we get more.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #421 on: April 04, 2024, 07:48:38 AM »
Just started Ripley this morning.

After only one episode, it feels like they tailor made this show for ME.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #422 on: April 04, 2024, 07:50:43 AM »

It's about a dashing man from North Carolina that enjoys fine cigars and has the love and adoration of everyone?

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #423 on: April 04, 2024, 07:52:24 AM »
It's about a dashing man from North Carolina that enjoys fine cigars and has the love and adoration of everyone?
Not ABOUT me.

FOR me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #424 on: April 04, 2024, 07:52:26 AM »
3BP just ended like that, damn. Definitely need more.
Very much setting up the next season. The second book is my favourite of the three, looking forward to the adaptation!

I do love the whole wallfacer concept and even though they've only just introduced it in the show, I think they did a great job with it. Especially the way Da Shi (aka Clarence) keeps looking at and reacting to Saul. The moment where Saul says something like "the way everyone looks at me as though they know something I don't, or they think I know something they don't", and Da Shi points to him and smiles, really made me chuckle.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #425 on: April 04, 2024, 07:55:27 AM »
Very much setting up the next season. The second book is my favourite of the three, looking forward to the adaptation!

I do love the whole wallfacer concept and even though they've only just introduced it in the show, I think they did a great job with it. Especially the way Da Shi (aka Clarence) keeps looking at and reacting to Saul. The moment where Saul says something like "the way everyone looks at me as though they know something I don't, or they think I know something they don't", and Da Shi points to him and smiles, really made me chuckle.
Yeah, that was fantastic.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #426 on: April 04, 2024, 01:45:08 PM »

What's it about?

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #427 on: April 04, 2024, 09:07:38 PM »
Just started 3 Body Problem and The Gentlemen.  Liking both series so far.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #428 on: April 05, 2024, 07:42:29 AM »
What's it about?
It's an adaptation of the novel The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith.  A film version starring Matt Damon and Jude Law came out in I believe 1999, but this is apparently a more faithful adaptation of the book. 

'In 1960s New York, Tom Ripley is hired by a wealthy man to convince his wayward son to return home from Italy. But Tom's introduction to Dickie Greenleaf's leisurely life abroad "is the first step into a complex life of deceit, fraud and murder"'

Written and directed by Steven Zaillian, who wrote Schindler's List, Gangs of New York, American Gangster, Moneyball, and The Irishman, and the HBO series The Night Of, among others.  Filmed in black & white and starring Andrew Scott.

Finished episode 3 this morning.  Fantastic.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #429 on: April 05, 2024, 07:47:23 AM »
What's it about?

It's the prequel to the Alien movie series.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #430 on: April 05, 2024, 08:53:16 AM »
It's an adaptation of the novel The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith.  A film version starring Matt Damon and Jude Law came out in I believe 1999, but this is apparently a more faithful adaptation of the book. 

'In 1960s New York, Tom Ripley is hired by a wealthy man to convince his wayward son to return home from Italy. But Tom's introduction to Dickie Greenleaf's leisurely life abroad "is the first step into a complex life of deceit, fraud and murder"'

Written and directed by Steven Zaillian, who wrote Schindler's List, Gangs of New York, American Gangster, Moneyball, and The Irishman, and the HBO series The Night Of, among others.  Filmed in black & white and starring Andrew Scott.

Finished episode 3 this morning.  Fantastic.

I ought to reread that book. I remember it being pretty good, but I also remember not thinking that highly of the movie.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: April 05, 2024, 09:03:07 AM »
Finished 3BP last night.  DIdn't love the way the season ended, not so much because of the negative outlook, but it felt a bit anti-climatic considering the previous episodes.  Granted, the season was really good overall and I'm all in for the rest of this show. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #432 on: April 05, 2024, 10:13:19 AM »
I ought to reread that book. I remember it being pretty good, but I also remember not thinking that highly of the movie.
Same

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #433 on: April 05, 2024, 10:55:51 AM »
Finished 3BP last night. DIdn't love the way the season ended, not so much because of the negative outlook, but it felt a bit anti-climatic considering the previous episodes.  Granted, the season was really good overall and I'm all in for the rest of this show.

Yeah....tough spot to be in for them. It's pretty clear this is a BIG story to tell and they had to cut it off somewhere I suppose.....but, the last two episodes were a snoozefest of just setting up things to come. I was good with the season and liked it....but it certainly tailed off after that 'Judgement Day' episode.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #434 on: April 05, 2024, 12:06:52 PM »
Agreed with cram and gmiller. I really hope they keep it going, if this is all the "overture", there's going to be some epic stuff happening.

Reading the books could be a good summer thing for me once I have time.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #435 on: April 08, 2024, 11:54:06 AM »
Agreed with cram and gmiller. I really hope they keep it going, if this is all the "overture", there's going to be some epic stuff happening.

Reading the books could be a good summer thing for me once I have time.
Just an FYI - the books are a bit of a tough read.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #436 on: April 11, 2024, 08:27:21 PM »
Not sure if it's been posted, but the final season of Umbrella Academy comes out in August.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #437 on: April 12, 2024, 11:49:42 AM »
Finished up Ripley.  What a wonderful experience.  Completely unlike anything else available.  Two thumbs WAY up.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: April 12, 2024, 01:10:09 PM »
Not sure if it's been posted, but the final season of Umbrella Academy comes out in August.

I'll watch it out of obligation due to having watched all the way up to this point. But was severely underwhelmed by S3.....even most of S2.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #439 on: April 12, 2024, 02:12:08 PM »
Finished up Ripley.  What a wonderful experience.  Completely unlike anything else available.  Two thumbs WAY up.

I assume it's sci-fi. Do you need a lot of knowledge of the Alien series? I don't have much.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #440 on: April 12, 2024, 02:20:26 PM »
I'll watch it out of obligation due to having watched all the way up to this point. But was severely underwhelmed by S3.....even most of S2.
Same, S2 wasn't all that bad but S3 was a major let down.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #441 on: April 15, 2024, 09:39:11 AM »
I assume it's sci-fi. Do you need a lot of knowledge of the Alien series? I don't have much.
Why did you assume it's sci-fi?  Because it certainly is NOT.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #442 on: April 15, 2024, 02:14:55 PM »
Why did you assume it's sci-fi?  Because it certainly is NOT.

I misread a different post and thought it was related to the Alien franchise. Please don't get the belt out.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #443 on: April 15, 2024, 02:42:20 PM »
I misread a different post and thought it was related to the Alien franchise. Please don't get the belt out.
:lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: April 16, 2024, 08:59:43 AM »
Been watching Unlocked: A Jail Experiment.... this is good.  It feels incredibly wrong to make a show based on an experiment with real people, but it's a good inside look into a real prison and pretty entertaining.  I've got to think the prisoners were able to agree to do this since they all show their face and talk to the cameras, but still, just seems like maybe this isn't the right way to go about things.  Probably finish that before the end of the week.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: April 19, 2024, 10:23:42 AM »
Been watching Unlocked: A Jail Experiment.... this is good.  It feels incredibly wrong to make a show based on an experiment with real people, but it's a good inside look into a real prison and pretty entertaining.  I've got to think the prisoners were able to agree to do this since they all show their face and talk to the cameras, but still, just seems like maybe this isn't the right way to go about things.  Probably finish that before the end of the week.

Started this last night....watched two episodes. And yeah, it's pretty neat and interesting but it just 'feels' wrong for some reason? I guess due to knowing there are a few really bad dudes that they're just interviewing like it's no big deal...or maybe it's because you feel bad for them? Anyway, it's very intriguing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: April 19, 2024, 10:25:18 AM »
Yeah, I finished it, thought it was pretty good overall and interesting to see.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: April 19, 2024, 10:31:04 PM »
Just watched the second part of ‘Rebel Moon’. Yeah….um……just as bland and uninspiring as Pt. 1…..

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #448 on: April 19, 2024, 10:45:43 PM »
No surprise there. Part One was one of the worst things I’ve ever watched.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: April 19, 2024, 10:55:08 PM »
No surprise there. Part One was one of the worst things I’ve ever watched.

Yep. I watched Pt 2 just to see how it would go and it was BA-ROOT-TAL.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #450 on: April 20, 2024, 04:18:04 AM »
Yep. I watched Pt 2 just to see how it would go and it was BA-ROOT-TAL.

hhmm..... I was considering watching it today as mrs.jingle and jingle.daughter are out getting their hair done.  But you're saying that's 2 hours of my life I'm going to wish I had back?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: April 20, 2024, 07:50:48 AM »
hhmm..... I was considering watching it today as mrs.jingle and jingle.daughter are out getting their hair done.  But you're saying that's 2 hours of my life I'm going to wish I had back?

Yes. I watched it just because I’d watched part one and hoped that Pt 2 would redeem it somehow. I contemplated turning it off about half hour in but just figured I’d see it through.

It’s so bad.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #452 on: April 20, 2024, 09:11:43 AM »
Yes. I watched it just because I’d watched part one and hoped that Pt 2 would redeem it somehow. I contemplated turning it off about half hour in but just figured I’d see it through.

It’s so bad.

Thanks for taking one for the team.   :tup  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #453 on: April 20, 2024, 09:24:18 AM »
Yeah, I finished it, thought it was pretty good overall and interesting to see.

I watched it this week as well, very intriguing, and a good look into how fucked the US prison system is in how it's built to only enhance the worst aspects of what got the prisoners there in the first place. I mean, yeah, it's cleaned and polished for TV, but they let just enough of prison reality through.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #454 on: April 21, 2024, 01:04:08 AM »
Just watched the second part of ‘Rebel Moon’. Yeah….um……just as bland and uninspiring as Pt. 1…..

Slow motion farming not you thing?   ;D