Author Topic: Stuff on Netflix  (Read 40135 times)

Offline Zoom E

Re: Stuff on Netflix
« Reply #245 on: October 28, 2022, 05:27:57 PM »
I thought Dahmer was well done, but wasn’t impressed when I fact checked and learned how they twisted the whole story with the neighbour. Also, I agree, that it did seem like they were trying to make Dahmer somewhat of a sympathetic character.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #246 on: November 10, 2022, 06:30:29 AM »
I tried out that new Blockbuster show. We got halfway through the third episode, looked at each other and said "this is shit, right?", and we turned it off.   

I can believe how little I laughed given the cast. What a huge swing and a miss.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #247 on: November 12, 2022, 05:33:23 PM »
All quiet on the western front is utterly incredible

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #248 on: November 12, 2022, 08:16:17 PM »
So is anyone else watching Dahmer?

I'm on episode 6.  It's very intense.  My husband dropped out after episode 1.  I almost quit after episode 2.

But the acting is pretty fucking amazing and I'm glad I'm hanging in there.  Evan Peters is great, as are all of the supporting cast, including particularly Richard Jenkins.  I almost didn't recognize Molly Ringwald.

I know some people are upset that Dahmer is portrayed as a gay man - which he WAS!  Or somehow as someone sympathetic because of his messed up childhood.  I mean, I think the miniseries portrays him as a bloodthirsty killer and sometimes cannibal.  I'm not seeing a whole lot of sympathy.  And frankly, understanding what makes someone like Dahmer tick is probably pretty important.

I should finish this series tonight.  I watched the first episode in late September and it creeped me out big time.  But I started watching it again and I'm just amazed.  Evan Peters deserves all of the praise that he's getting.  I didn't recognize Molly Ringwald at all.

I agree with you that this show does not glamorize Dahmer's actions at all, nor is it any slight against the gay community.  I don't find myself rooting for him like I would Tony Soprano - you tuned in every week to watch someone get whacked on that show and you loved it.  But here, everything is very creepy and chilling, and there has been plenty of focus on who some of these victims were.  I loved how they cut the sound out during that episode. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #249 on: November 12, 2022, 08:18:08 PM »
Dead to Me returns for its third and final season next week.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #250 on: November 14, 2022, 11:52:57 AM »
Dead to Me returns for its third and final season next week.
:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #251 on: November 20, 2022, 09:50:48 PM »
So is anyone else watching Dahmer?

I'm on episode 6.  It's very intense.  My husband dropped out after episode 1.  I almost quit after episode 2.

But the acting is pretty fucking amazing and I'm glad I'm hanging in there.  Evan Peters is great, as are all of the supporting cast, including particularly Richard Jenkins.  I almost didn't recognize Molly Ringwald.

I know some people are upset that Dahmer is portrayed as a gay man - which he WAS!  Or somehow as someone sympathetic because of his messed up childhood.  I mean, I think the miniseries portrays him as a bloodthirsty killer and sometimes cannibal.  I'm not seeing a whole lot of sympathy.  And frankly, understanding what makes someone like Dahmer tick is probably pretty important.

I should finish this series tonight.  I watched the first episode in late September and it creeped me out big time.  But I started watching it again and I'm just amazed.  Evan Peters deserves all of the praise that he's getting.
Man, you're right about that. Aside from the complexity and depravity of the character, something that stood out to me was his Wisconsin accent. Half of my family is from Wisconsin, and that accent is so easy to exaggerate and unknowingly parody. He nailed it.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Grappler

« Reply #252 on: November 21, 2022, 06:10:46 AM »
Man, you're right about that. Aside from the complexity and depravity of the character, something that stood out to me was his Wisconsin accent. Half of my family is from Wisconsin, and that accent is so easy to exaggerate and unknowingly parody. He nailed it.
[/quote]

Definitely - I live a few miles south of the Wisconsin border in Illinois and his accent was perfect and never wavered.  Hearing him say "Kenosha" in that accent was a trip. 

Offline Harmony

« Reply #253 on: November 27, 2022, 10:56:36 AM »
Is anyone else watching 1899?  It's pretty damn good.  Titanic meets X-Files.  You should definitely check it out.  2 thumbs up and I'm only 3/4 of the way through the end of the season.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #254 on: November 27, 2022, 01:36:01 PM »
Is anyone else watching 1899?  It's pretty damn good.  Titanic meets X-Files.  You should definitely check it out.  2 thumbs up and I'm only 3/4 of the way through the end of the season.

Yes, I watched it and enjoyed it. Bit of a mind bender.

If you haven’t watched Dark, I can't recommend that show highly enough. It’s by the same creators of 1899. Dark is my favourite ever Netflix produced show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #255 on: November 27, 2022, 02:00:14 PM »

If you haven’t watched Dark, I can't recommend that show highly enough. It’s by the same creators of 1899. Dark is my favourite ever Netflix produced show.

Dark was awesome. One of the best ‘time travel’ type shows that has been made.

Been meaning to watch 1899…..will get to it for sure.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #256 on: November 27, 2022, 02:13:23 PM »
Just finished Wednesday...very very well done, and a ton of fun. Great show, highly recommend it.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #257 on: November 28, 2022, 10:54:04 AM »
Finally wrapped the most recent season of The Crown

About to start the final season of Dead to Me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #258 on: November 28, 2022, 11:03:35 AM »
Just finished Wednesday...very very well done, and a ton of fun. Great show, highly recommend it.

I was fantastic.  I shouldn't have binged it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online faizoff

« Reply #259 on: November 28, 2022, 01:06:20 PM »

Dark was awesome. One of the best ‘time travel’ type shows that has been made.

Been meaning to watch 1899…..will get to it for sure.

I'm itching to watch it, just want to be in the right mindset to start.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #260 on: November 28, 2022, 01:17:06 PM »
Ooh, I was just about to ask how it was! I'm a big fan of Burton's Addam's Family. I'm going to check it out soon, despite my dislike for Fred Armisen.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #261 on: November 28, 2022, 06:51:23 PM »
Ooh, I was just about to ask how it was! I'm a big fan of Burton's Addam's Family. I'm going to check it out soon, despite my dislike for Fred Armisen.

Fred Armison is in it? I’m 5 episodes in and I haven’t seen him yet.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #262 on: November 28, 2022, 07:57:04 PM »

He’s Uncle Fester.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #263 on: November 28, 2022, 10:03:31 PM »

He’s Uncle Fester.

Well, sorry to be a bit spoiler-y (he might be in it more later) but I’m 6 episodes in now and he’s only been in “blink and you’ll miss it” flashbacks. In fact, I don’t even think he’s spoken. So maybe that’s better for you.  :rollin

Offline jammindude

« Reply #264 on: November 28, 2022, 11:27:06 PM »
[watches episode 7]

Me and my big mouth… :P

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #265 on: November 28, 2022, 11:58:53 PM »
[watches episode 7]

Me and my big mouth… :P
:lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: November 29, 2022, 07:12:52 AM »
I tried to watch the first episode of 'The Universe' that is narrated by Morgan Freeman. First episode is centered around the sun....and.....15 minutes into the episode they'd mentioned the sun maybe twice. They were following animals around Africa.....it was an Animal Planet diatribe. I 'get' what they were setting up with how the sun is the 'fuel' for everything living but man, it was boring as all hell. Turned it off.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #267 on: November 30, 2022, 01:16:40 PM »

We finished watching this last night. I enjoyed loads of it but was ultimately really ticked off with it. So much so that I cancelled my Netflix sub immediately after watching it! (I had been meaning to for a while)

It's a really unusual show and there was loads to enjoy. We started watching it and were really confused by some parts being dubbed, until we realised that people on the ship were from different countries and speaking different languages. Then we set the audio track to English (Original) and that really improved it, with subtitles for the non-English parts and the original actors' voices and inflections. (If you're thinking about watching it - definitely do this! There are many interactions between the characters that make sense because they can't understand each other.)

Loved the setting, the casting, sets, costumes, atmosphere...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #268 on: November 30, 2022, 06:18:31 PM »

I definitely will!  Thanks for the recommendation. 

And DoctorAction - my daughter told me about that part so we switched over.  It didn't really bother me though I did notice it at first.  I agree it makes the story a bit easier to understand.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #269 on: December 01, 2022, 07:12:58 PM »
Just finished Midnight Mass. 10/10. Amazing

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #270 on: December 02, 2022, 03:07:03 AM »
Just finished Midnight Mass. 10/10. Amazing

Quite a ride, uh?  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: December 09, 2022, 01:37:25 PM »

Watched the first episode last night.....would have watched more but I started late. It's certainly intriguing and has that 'feel' like Dark did. Looking forward to getting a few episodes under the belt the next couple days.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: December 11, 2022, 08:36:32 AM »

Watched the first episode last night.....would have watched more but I started late. It's certainly intriguing and has that 'feel' like Dark did. Looking forward to getting a few episodes under the belt the next couple days.

Through five episodes…..I’m enjoying it….yet, while it has that ‘Dark’ feel and atmosphere it’s not quite ‘Dark’ level. But it is interesting

Offline pg1067

« Reply #273 on: December 11, 2022, 02:03:45 PM »
Way late to the party, but I started Stranger Things last night.  Got through 3 episodes.  It's solid, but it's time to explain at least some of what's going on.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Grappler

« Reply #274 on: December 12, 2022, 08:26:54 AM »
Way late to the party, but I started Stranger Things last night.  Got through 3 episodes.  It's solid, but it's time to explain at least some of what's going on.

The show eventually does explain a lot as the season progresses.  Later seasons dive further into it - it's a fantastic show.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #275 on: December 12, 2022, 09:30:59 AM »

The show eventually does explain a lot as the season progresses.  Later seasons dive further into it - it's a fantastic show.

Got through the 4th episode last night and just saw that the first season is only 8 episodes.  Fantastic?  All I'm willing to commit to at the moment is good enough to keep going.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online faizoff

« Reply #276 on: December 12, 2022, 12:57:22 PM »

Through five episodes…..I’m enjoying it….yet, while it has that ‘Dark’ feel and atmosphere it’s not quite ‘Dark’ level. But it is interesting

Watched the first episode last night, it was a great start. Love the setting and atmosphere. Different from 'Dark' but definitely interesting.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: December 13, 2022, 07:46:18 AM »

Watched the first episode last night, it was a great start. Love the setting and atmosphere. Different from 'Dark' but definitely interesting.

Finished this one up. I'll start by saying I did like it...it was interesting and I like those types of shows/movies. My issue with it is that the closing 3 or 4 episodes get REAL convoluted and they just start going all 'LOST' on us and adding elements to the story at lightning speed. Wasn't bad at all and I'm hoping for a second season.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #278 on: December 14, 2022, 11:10:24 AM »

Got through the 4th episode last night and just saw that the first season is only 8 episodes.  Fantastic?  All I'm willing to commit to at the moment is good enough to keep going.

Finished season 1 last night.  It was ok, but too many unanswered things, including how everyone seemed to have gone back to normal like nothing at all happened at the end (save for the kid yacking up a leach).  I also was bothered by the pronunciation of "Demogorgon."  I don't know if D&D ever release an official pronunciation guide, but my friends and I always said "DEE-mə-gor-gən" (as in "DEE-mən").  "DEM-ə-gor-gən" just sounds wrong.  Also (and this is very atypical for me), it bugged me that the entire season took place in 1983 but they used one song from 1984 (Sunglasses at Night) and one from 1987 (the Bangles' version of Hazy Shade of Winter).  Undecided if I'll start season 2 right away.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 11:26:08 AM by pg1067 »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: December 14, 2022, 11:33:39 AM »
Warrior Nun has been cancelled by NETFLIX   I just finished up S2 last week....it was a nice follow up to S1 but I can see where they'd cancel it. While it was entertaining the story struggled a bit. I can see where they were trying to take it for a potential S3 but nonetheless it won't matter.