Author Topic: Stuff on Netflix  (Read 40363 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Stuff on Netflix
« Reply #210 on: June 12, 2021, 12:34:12 PM »
Anyone watching the Richard Ramirez documentary?   It's fascinating... except for the artsy-fartsy (but sometimes gruesome) transition shots.

The night stalker, right? watched it some time ago, it was cool and very stylish. The dark side of LA was well depicted.

I'd be fascinated to have a couple drinks with that detective Frank Salerno*.  That guy has clearly seen some shit.

* I'm always freaked saying that, because life has a way of answering those in ways you don't expect.  I certainly don't want him investigating any cases I might be involved in.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #211 on: September 25, 2021, 12:38:05 PM »
Yay!  Extraction 2 is greenlit (not surprising). https://youtu.be/mi4pEsYeljk

Trailer doesn’t reveal anything other than “coming soon”
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #212 on: September 28, 2021, 12:01:07 PM »
Midnight Mass - a nice, short 7-episode limited series from the guy that created The Haunting of Hill House

Much better than the Bly Manor series he released last year.  This is sufficiently creepy and a really great story.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #213 on: September 28, 2021, 12:05:54 PM »
Yay!  Extraction 2 is greenlit (not surprising)

Yeah.....fun movie, but no surprise there's a S2. Completely set up for a sequel.

I watched the show 'Clickbait' last week. It was all about catfishing and centered around a main character who was slowly revealed to have a hidden side.....or did he? It was entertaining enough but IMO they went off the rails in the last episode and destroyed what could have been a decent watch. They out thought themselves and tried to get too cute and complex with the misdirection when they didn't need too. Anyway.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #214 on: October 10, 2021, 12:47:13 PM »
Squid game is decent.

People sign up for a game show where they play kids games, but are murdered when they fail.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: October 15, 2021, 03:31:58 PM »
Finished second season of ‘Another Life’. I love all things Katee Sackhoff and while this show is far from her best material it’s still fun enough to watch and support her.

Offline DTA

« Reply #216 on: October 17, 2021, 01:27:26 PM »
Anyone watching season 3 of You? This season is nuts (in a good way). Some of the best characters yet in the show with the Conrads

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #217 on: November 26, 2021, 01:38:53 PM »
Oh man, the live action Cowboy bebop is so bad, lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #218 on: November 26, 2021, 03:14:29 PM »
Anyone watching season 3 of You? This season is nuts (in a good way). Some of the best characters yet in the show with the Conrads

Finished it and yes, it was great!

I think they tried to make Joe as "likeable" as possible, by surrounding him with assholes to make him look better in comparison. A stalker that kills women couldn't have kept the show going for many seasons so they needed to make him more relatable in a way.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: January 19, 2022, 06:49:55 AM »
Archive 81 - This has been really interesting. It's a kind of 'found film' style show that is taking some cool twists and turns. I burned through 5 episodes last night.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #220 on: January 19, 2022, 01:50:38 PM »
Damn so many shows these days.  :lol Just started with Glitch, one episode in and it's pretty interesting. Seems like i've seen this kind of idea for a show before though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Grappler

« Reply #221 on: February 04, 2022, 11:02:44 AM »
Archive 81 - This has been really interesting. It's a kind of 'found film' style show that is taking some cool twists and turns. I burned through 5 episodes last night.

I've been watching it this week - the show has given me legitimate goosebumps in each episode.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: February 04, 2022, 11:19:48 AM »

I've been watching it this week - the show has given me legitimate goosebumps in each episode.

Yeah....it's creepy and weird enough to get you wigged out a bit but not over the top to where you're scared of the dark  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #223 on: February 04, 2022, 12:06:14 PM »
If you want some cool stuff, and you loved BoJack Horseman, you should really see Strappare Lungo i Bordi, AKA Tear Along the Dotted Line.

Just like BoJack, it's an animated short series which makes you both laugh and cry. I've seen the english trailer and it's decent enough, keep in mind though that it's an italian show, actually a roman show, where the protagonist speaks in a HEAVY roman dialect (even I, sometimes, have issues understanding him, not really because of the dialect, but because he talks so fast), so it's 150% full of roman slang that even people from Italy sometimes have issues understanding, but as I said the english dub is decent (or just watch it with subtitles).

Anyway, once you get past the language barrier, you'll find a lovely and thoughtful story.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #224 on: February 05, 2022, 11:03:15 AM »
after almost 2 years, I'm finishing up Season 2 of Dead to Me.

The 3rd anf final Season is likely coming this Spring. Kind of bittersweet per Christina Applegate's health, it might be the last thing she ever does as an actor.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #225 on: February 11, 2022, 02:52:16 PM »
Arcane - Animated Adult show, based off of League of Legends storylines. Its very well done and very well written. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #226 on: March 18, 2022, 09:59:23 PM »
Just watched The Adam Project and I've gotta say, I *really* enjoyed it. It definitely has 80's sci-fi feels, almost a classic in the making, and regardless of how you feel about time travel films, the time travel aspect is just a framing device for a more heartfelt story about life, death, grief, and dealing with the arrow of time.

If you like Ryan Reynolds and his kind of acting/humor, you'll enjoy this film. If you don't, then it might not be for you, but he's got some really great acting chops. The kid who plays his younger version, and having his acting debut, does an impeccable job of doing some of Ryan's mannerisms.

The cast did pretty well over-all, especially the supporting cast like Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo. The "villain" wasn't all that imposing, but I think the best part of the film, the heart of it all, is the interactions between the adult and young versions of Adam.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #227 on: March 19, 2022, 05:01:54 AM »
Cool!  jingle.daughter wants to watch this one, so we're gonna hit it up sometime in the coming week.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: March 25, 2022, 07:18:31 AM »
Netflix cancels 'Archive 81'.  What a bummer. I thought it was a pretty neat/trippy/creepy show and while they ended the season semi-resolved they definitely left the window open for S2, which....now ain't gonna happen.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #229 on: March 26, 2022, 11:35:35 AM »
Netflix cancels 'Archive 81'.  What a bummer. I thought it was a pretty neat/trippy/creepy show and while they ended the season semi-resolved they definitely left the window open for S2, which....now ain't gonna happen.
That sucks, I really enjoyed the show.  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Grappler

« Reply #230 on: April 22, 2022, 11:54:30 AM »
The John Wayne Gacy Tapes

I'm not much for true crime shows, but wanted to watch this.  It's very much a local interest thing for me, since I grew up in the northwest Chicago suburbs, a number of miles from where he lived.  This has fresh interviews with many of the authorities and lawyers involved in the investigation, survivors and people who were in Gacy's presence, along with newly released archival interviews and conversations with Gacy. 

Absolutely chilling stuff. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #231 on: September 27, 2022, 09:15:43 AM »
after almost 2 years, I'm finishing up Season 2 of Dead to Me.

The 3rd anf final Season is likely coming this Spring. Kind of bittersweet per Christina Applegate's health, it might be the last thing she ever does as an actor.

the 3rd and final season of Dead to Me premieres on Netflix on November 17th

https://twitter.com/deadtome/status/1573739795108487176

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #232 on: September 29, 2022, 08:04:18 PM »

That makes me angry and I learned it now. I thought it's very original story in that genre. The Sense8 effect and poor decision by Netflix.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: September 30, 2022, 07:24:38 AM »

That makes me angry and I learned it now. I thought it's very original story in that genre. The Sense8 effect and poor decision by Netflix.

Yeah....that was a cool show....really dug it. Had an interesting vibe and neat story.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #234 on: September 30, 2022, 08:10:32 AM »
Too lazy to dig up the Witcher thread, but resuming season 2 has been a slog, the episodes are so drawn out. I don't know if I can maintain enough interest to keep watching the season.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Harmony

« Reply #235 on: September 30, 2022, 02:24:29 PM »
So is anyone else watching Dahmer?

I'm on episode 6.  It's very intense.  My husband dropped out after episode 1.  I almost quit after episode 2.

But the acting is pretty fucking amazing and I'm glad I'm hanging in there.  Evan Peters is great, as are all of the supporting cast, including particularly Richard Jenkins.  I almost didn't recognize Molly Ringwald.

I know some people are upset that Dahmer is portrayed as a gay man - which he WAS!  Or somehow as someone sympathetic because of his messed up childhood.  I mean, I think the miniseries portrays him as a bloodthirsty killer and sometimes cannibal.  I'm not seeing a whole lot of sympathy.  And frankly, understanding what makes someone like Dahmer tick is probably pretty important.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: September 30, 2022, 02:39:30 PM »

I'm on episode 6.  It's very intense.  My husband dropped out after episode 1.  I almost quit after episode 2.

But the acting is pretty fucking amazing and I'm glad I'm hanging in there.  Evan Peters is great, as are all of the supporting cast, including particularly Richard Jenkins.  I almost didn't recognize Molly Ringwald.

I know some people are upset that Dahmer is portrayed as a gay man - which he WAS!  Or somehow as someone sympathetic because of his messed up childhood.  I mean, I think the miniseries portrays him as a bloodthirsty killer and sometimes cannibal.  I'm not seeing a whole lot of sympathy.  And frankly, understanding what makes someone like Dahmer tick is probably pretty important.

I'm contemplating watching it....was going to wait to see/hear/read more reviews. Not sure how interested I am in it but I really like Evan Peters as an actor.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #237 on: September 30, 2022, 03:12:26 PM »
If you love space theme - science fiction I recommend Another Life. Some unnecessary emotional scenes could bother but other than that it gives a great run.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: September 30, 2022, 03:50:48 PM »
If you love space theme - science fiction I recommend Another Life. Some unnecessary emotional scenes could bother but other than that it gives a great run.

Watched it due to my adoration for Katie Sackhoff…..it was ‘good’. Nothing spectacular but it was a fun series.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #239 on: September 30, 2022, 05:36:03 PM »

This is on my lengthy Netflix list, as it was recommended to me. I will probably get to it soon.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #240 on: October 01, 2022, 08:21:06 PM »
Curious about this

BLOCKBUSTER

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16124614/

Randall Park JB Smoove and some others in a show about people who work at a Blockbuster Video store.

Can't find a Trailer, but it premieres on Netflix on November 3rd.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #241 on: October 09, 2022, 08:36:37 PM »
Curious about this

BLOCKBUSTER

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16124614/

Randall Park JB Smoove and some others in a show about people who work at a Blockbuster Video store.

Can't find a Trailer, but it premieres on Netflix on November 3rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDA-phXyYH8

this is from some of the people who worked on Superstore.  it looks good, although I was hoping this would be set at an earlier time period than when it is, which is when the Blockbuster store in Bend, Oregon became the last Blockbuster Store which was maybe less than 10 years ago.

The documentary about the last Blockbuster store, I suppose is part of the premise.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #242 on: October 20, 2022, 10:44:32 AM »
If you share, they are going to start charging extra, although many valid points brought up in the replies on twitter.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1582730459431276545

Offline Volante99

« Reply #243 on: October 28, 2022, 12:44:55 AM »
Just finished Dahmer-

Very good, Evan Peters deserves an Emmy- he absolutely nails the midwest/Wisconsin accent and Dahmer’s

It only suffers from the heavy handed “woke” (I hate that term) messaging. Clearly, systemic racism and homophobia allowed Dahmer to get away with his crimes unnoticed for too long but the actual true events show this and beating the viewer over the head with this theme (along with the fictional embellishment) was unnecessary and even weakens the message in my opinion. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: October 28, 2022, 07:19:59 AM »
It only suffers from the heavy handed “woke” (I hate that term) messaging. Clearly, systemic racism and homophobia allowed Dahmer to get away with his crimes unnoticed for too long but the actual true events show this and beating the viewer over the head with this theme (along with the fictional embellishment) was unnecessary and even weakens the message in my opinion.

Pretty much why I haven't finished it. I think I'm on like Ep. 5 or 6? But it's extremely annoying the way they're telling the story. They've crafted it in a way where it seems like they're trying to drum up sympathy for him as well.

Very good, Evan Peters deserves an Emmy- he absolutely nails the midwest/Wisconsin accent and Dahmer’s

Evan Peters has been good in it