Author Topic: Stuff on Netflix  (Read 38350 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Stuff on Netflix
« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2021, 04:37:35 PM »
So is Jupiter's Legacy and Umbrella Academy like the anti-heroes show like The Boys and Watchmen? How'd you rate the four together? I'm extremely skeptical of starting any Netflix shows these days until they become super popular so you know they'll stick around. Or just watch mini-series like The Queen's Gambit, etc.

I'd put Jupiter's well below The Boys, Umbrella, Invincible, Watchmen, Doom Patrol and the two recent Marvel shows.  If I was to put it on a par with something it'd be one of the lesser Marvel Netflix shows like Ironfist or Luke Cage but with strangely cheap 'arrowverse' production values.

I think it’s a matter of tastes. I liked Umbrella Academy but the second season was a chore to stay ‘in’ to. The third season has a lot to make up for.

Jupiter’s Rising isn’t the creme de la creme but it’s entertaining and has a cool enough story to keep me wanting to know what happens.

I have not seen any of the other shows you mentioned so I can’t comment on them.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #176 on: May 13, 2021, 01:55:28 AM »
So is Jupiter's Legacy and Umbrella Academy like the anti-heroes show like The Boys and Watchmen? How'd you rate the four together? I'm extremely skeptical of starting any Netflix shows these days until they become super popular so you know they'll stick around. Or just watch mini-series like The Queen's Gambit, etc.

I'd put Jupiter's well below The Boys, Umbrella, Invincible, Watchmen, Doom Patrol and the two recent Marvel shows.  If I was to put it on a par with something it'd be one of the lesser Marvel Netflix shows like Ironfist or Luke Cage but with strangely cheap 'arrowverse' production values.

I think it’s a matter of tastes. I liked Umbrella Academy but the second season was a chore to stay ‘in’ to. The third season has a lot to make up for.

Jupiter’s Rising isn’t the creme de la creme but it’s entertaining and has a cool enough story to keep me wanting to know what happens.

I have not seen any of the other shows you mentioned so I can’t comment on them.

If you fancy another first season 8 episode bingefest I'd highly recommend 'Invincible' which was new to Prime recently.  For me it the best new show I've seen for a while, and I wasn't expecting that as I'm not generally a fan of animated shows (outside of comedies).  If you do give it ago make sure you watch all of the first episode because the last 10 minutes are, well no spoilers - just don't give up till the episode ends!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: May 13, 2021, 08:00:46 AM »

If you fancy another first season 8 episode bingefest I'd highly recommend 'Invincible' which was new to Prime recently.  For me it the best new show I've seen for a while, and I wasn't expecting that as I'm not generally a fan of animated shows (outside of comedies).  If you do give it ago make sure you watch all of the first episode because the last 10 minutes are, well no spoilers - just don't give up till the episode ends!

I've heard this one is good. I think I'll check it out but I may need to recover on sleep first  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #178 on: May 13, 2021, 10:21:38 AM »
I'm extremely skeptical of starting any Netflix shows these days until they become super popular so you know they'll stick around. Or just watch mini-series like The Queen's Gambit, etc.

This is me totally.... doesn't even need to be Netflix.  I've been burned far too many times (especially with Network TV) getting hooked into new series', only to have S1 end on a (mild or large) cliffhanger, and then not get renewed.  I honestly am looking to only get in to shows once they are in to at least their 3rd season - which is a catch-22, cuz then there's anywhere from 15-20 hours of content to catch up on.  :lolpalm:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #179 on: May 13, 2021, 12:46:37 PM »
I'm extremely skeptical of starting any Netflix shows these days until they become super popular so you know they'll stick around. Or just watch mini-series like The Queen's Gambit, etc.

This is me totally.... doesn't even need to be Netflix.  I've been burned far too many times (especially with Network TV) getting hooked into new series', only to have S1 end on a (mild or large) cliffhanger, and then not get renewed.  I honestly am looking to only get in to shows once they are in to at least their 3rd season - which is a catch-22, cuz then there's anywhere from 15-20 hours of content to catch up on.  :lolpalm:
I remember the time this happened that traumatized me was the show Terriers.  I think it was on AMC or something.  Sensational first season, but apparently it was only watched by my wife and I and 3 or 4 other people, so it got shitcanned.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: May 13, 2021, 01:52:18 PM »
Anyone here check out The Outlander? My mom gave it high praises so I'm giving it a go...

If mumstar says so..  :tup

The ones I really enjoyed

The One
Behind Her Eyes
Queen's Gambit
Lupin
After Life
Sense8
The Umbrella Academy
Peaky Blinders
The Kominsky Method
Phi
Fatma

Also re-watched The It Crowd and Friends... Can't wait to do it again . :laugh:

Planning to watch Ryan Murphy series.. started with Pose.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: May 13, 2021, 02:48:34 PM »
Kominsky Method is f'n hilarious.  Great chemistry between Arkin and Douglass.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: May 13, 2021, 02:52:30 PM »
Fantastic indeed. New season in 2 weeks  :D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: May 13, 2021, 08:13:13 PM »

I didn’t know this.  :tup

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: May 13, 2021, 09:55:05 PM »

I didn’t know this.  :tup

:laugh: :tup

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: May 15, 2021, 09:57:53 AM »
S2 of Love, Death and Robots this Friday  :metal

If any of you who like sci-fi type stuff haven’t watched S1 it’s a must. Really good.

Massively underwhelmed by S2 of Love, Death and Robots. S1 was so cool.....the stories in S2 were not compelling at all and extremely boring. Some cool visual effects but man....what a drop off from S1

Online faizoff

« Reply #186 on: May 15, 2021, 12:39:01 PM »
Very disappointing to hear that. I'll still check it out, hopefully I don't feel the same, but knowing how similar our taste seem to run I'll prepare for the worst.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: May 15, 2021, 12:51:19 PM »
Very disappointing to hear that. I'll still check it out, hopefully I don't feel the same, but knowing how similar our taste seem to run I'll prepare for the worst.

Yeah. Check it out. I don’t mean to ruin it for you. I just REALLY liked the first season and maybe had too high of hopes for this one. You may enjoy the heck out of it. Like I said, there are a couple stories in there with incredible graphics/visuals. Not for me....the content of the stories wasn’t as strong as S1

Offline masterthes

« Reply #188 on: May 16, 2021, 09:08:55 AM »
Totally agree. Volume 1 was way better, and why was season 2 so short?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: May 16, 2021, 10:44:36 AM »
Totally agree. Volume 1 was way better, and why was season 2 so short?

No kidding? I think the longest episode was like 17 minutes. The rest were 10-12 with one being like 6 minutes.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #190 on: May 16, 2021, 04:08:33 PM »
Castlevania has a new season that just came out. Enjoying it so far

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #191 on: May 16, 2021, 05:37:42 PM »
Same. I'm 7 or so episodes in and I like how balanced the storylines have been in terms of screentime which makes sense as I believe they're wrapping up the series, at least with Ellis.

Online faizoff

« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2021, 10:21:40 AM »

Yeah. Check it out. I don’t mean to ruin it for you. I just REALLY liked the first season and maybe had too high of hopes for this one. You may enjoy the heck out of it. Like I said, there are a couple stories in there with incredible graphics/visuals. Not for me....the content of the stories wasn’t as strong as S1

Caught up with all episodes. For sure not as great as season 1. I think the stories were too short and many felt they ended abruptly. Animation was fantastic and loved the different styles, but they really should've spent some time on the stories. S1 had very intriguing stories with quite good endings. I did enjoy watching them for the most part though, but in the end they were fizzled out.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2021, 10:30:16 AM »
So there's a 2nd part of this season which apparently they're calling vol.3? Plus these are all based on some short stories which is probably why they end the way they do.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: May 17, 2021, 05:03:53 PM »
So there's a 2nd part of this season which apparently they're calling vol.3? Plus these are all based on some short stories which is probably why they end the way they do.

Well this may change things then if there is more to the stories....or they’re part of a larger plan.

They were abrupt and short changed compared to S1.

Online faizoff

« Reply #195 on: May 18, 2021, 04:38:54 AM »
I think the delayed-release has more to do with the different animation studios taking longer to complete their assigned episodes. I don't think there is any overarching larger plan to connect them all.

There are some easter eggs in a few episodes from what I read but nothing to make it all one cohesive world.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #196 on: May 22, 2021, 08:47:39 PM »
Finished Castlevania. Really good way to end the series

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #197 on: May 23, 2021, 05:05:55 AM »
Finished Castlevania. Really good way to end the series

Agreed.

really enjoyed this season

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: May 23, 2021, 09:26:52 AM »
My son and I watched 'Army of the Dead' last night, the David Bautista/Zac Snyder zombie movie. Good lord what a horrible movie. I mean, I get it....it's a zombie movie. But there are 'good' zombie shows/movies and then there are bad. This one was comically bad. I think I expected a little too much from it for one.....and secondly, it's a zombie movie Zac. Don't overthink it. They tried to add some human elements to it that weren't only picked from the top of the cliche pile....they were just done horribly.

If you feel like wasting 2-1/2 hours of your life I recommend watching this show. Otherwise, I suggest investing that time in another movie you've wanted to watch or maybe even intentionally stubbing your pinky toe on a door jamb over and over. Anything but watch this movie.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #199 on: June 02, 2021, 11:26:50 PM »
omg guys start Jupiter's Legacy right now.

Son of a bitch RJ......thanks a lot. Take a peek at my time stamp. Just binged this entire show. That was not the plan when I started. It was supposed to be two episodes and to bed. Really good stuff. When the  :censored is S2 gonna hit?

Horses for courses.  I really didn't like this at all - looked cheap (compared to The Boys, Umbrella Academy for example) and was quite boring imparicular the parts set in the present.  Honestly has a feel of a show Netflix will axe (like The Irregulars) very quickly.   I hope they don't for you guys enjoying it, gotta be honest though and say I haven't heard much good word of mouth outside this thread.

Jupiter's Legacy axed announcement last night.  Although they intend to make a spin-off show in an attempt to keep the Millarverse alive.

Online faizoff

« Reply #200 on: June 03, 2021, 05:03:51 AM »
I didn't get to watch the show yet, but from a ton of feedback it appeared the show looked like a cheap CW show and then I learn that the budget for the show was $200 million! Holy shit, that's a lot of money to make a show look like shit.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: June 03, 2021, 08:53:38 AM »
omg guys start Jupiter's Legacy right now.

Son of a bitch RJ......thanks a lot. Take a peek at my time stamp. Just binged this entire show. That was not the plan when I started. It was supposed to be two episodes and to bed. Really good stuff. When the  :censored is S2 gonna hit?

Horses for courses.  I really didn't like this at all - looked cheap (compared to The Boys, Umbrella Academy for example) and was quite boring imparicular the parts set in the present.  Honestly has a feel of a show Netflix will axe (like The Irregulars) very quickly.   I hope they don't for you guys enjoying it, gotta be honest though and say I haven't heard much good word of mouth outside this thread.

Jupiter's Legacy axed announcement last night.  Although they intend to make a spin-off show in an attempt to keep the Millarverse alive.

I didn't get to watch the show yet, but from a ton of feedback it appeared the show looked like a cheap CW show and then I learn that the budget for the show was $200 million! Holy shit, that's a lot of money to make a show look like shit.

I quite enjoyed the show. Although it was a poor mans version of 'The Boys' and there were some corny moments.....I thought all in all the story was cool and it was a fun watch. Oh well.....on to the next one.  :lol

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #202 on: June 03, 2021, 09:02:33 AM »

I quite enjoyed the show. Although it was a poor mans version of 'The Boys' and there were some corny moments.....I thought all in all the story was cool and it was a fun watch. Oh well.....on to the next one.  :lol

It feels like Netflix cancel 80% of their new shows after one season these days, sometimes you gotta let a show find it's feet (and audience).  They can't expect everything they make to have an instant Stranger Things popularity.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #203 on: June 03, 2021, 09:31:31 AM »

It feels like Netflix cancel 80% of their new shows after one season these days, sometimes you gotta let a show find it's feet (and audience).  They can't expect everything they make to have an instant Stranger Things popularity.

Once they got the subscribers, the money has been made, no need to keep alive shows that won't make you even more money.

However if they go on this way, they're starting to get a reputation, maybe creators will be wary of starting with Netflix if they know the policy is "all of the money right now or it's cancellation and the story be damned".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: June 03, 2021, 09:37:17 AM »

The remaining 20% get cancelled after 3 seasons.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: June 03, 2021, 11:30:42 AM »
Glad I didn't bother to invest time there.  I'm seriously only going to invest time in series' that have at least 2-3 seasons already.  Theres enough of them out there for me to get in to - Netflix or Prime.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: June 11, 2021, 06:22:40 AM »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #207 on: June 11, 2021, 08:33:45 AM »
I watched Black holes-The Edge of All We Know documentary the other day. Really good look into two faces of black hole research, focusing on the recent famous image taken of an actual black hole and a theoretical black hole think tank group which included Steven Hawking. Aside from how amazing the science behind these projects (the astronomy side was amazing, the theoretical went way over my head lol), the documentary covers when Hawking passed away, and how that affects the theoretical scientists and shows there deep reverence for him. Great stuff all around.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 09:00:37 PM by lonestar »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #208 on: June 11, 2021, 12:15:56 PM »
Anyone watching the Richard Ramirez documentary?   It's fascinating... except for the artsy-fartsy (but sometimes gruesome) transition shots.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #209 on: June 12, 2021, 04:53:09 AM »
Anyone watching the Richard Ramirez documentary?   It's fascinating... except for the artsy-fartsy (but sometimes gruesome) transition shots.

The night stalker, right? watched it some time ago, it was cool and very stylish. The dark side of LA was well depicted.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!