Author Topic: Stuff on Netflix  (Read 38238 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Stuff on Netflix
« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2021, 09:02:10 AM »
Just finished that last night and it was enjoyable. Watching the internet sleuths slowly realize all of their time and energy was a complete waste of time was very funny, probably one of the highlights of the show.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2021, 06:10:48 AM »
Into the Badlands - Not emmy award winning but it's entertaining!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2021, 06:24:24 AM »
Started The Kominsky method - Michael Douglas is an aging actors' coach that gives lessons about acting and faces the issues of old age, such as the wife of his best friend passing away and the need to go to the toilet a bit too much.

Interesting and funny comedy, and for once an actor does not have to pretend to be younger, but shows off all of his years in all their scruffy glory, Michael Douglas is very good in this.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2021, 08:44:41 AM »
Started The Kominsky method - Michael Douglas is an aging actors' coach that gives lessons about acting and faces the issues of old age, such as the wife of his best friend passing away and the need to go to the toilet a bit too much.

Interesting and funny comedy, and for once an actor does not have to pretend to be younger, but shows off all of his years in all their scruffy glory, Michael Douglas is very good in this.

Love the show.  Alan Arkin is gold.

mrs.jingle and I watched the first episode of Surviving Death - 6-part documentary about the afterlife.  Fascinating stuff.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #144 on: February 18, 2021, 06:01:43 PM »

Love the show.  Alan Arkin is gold.

mrs.jingle and I watched the first episode of Surviving Death - 6-part documentary about the afterlife.  Fascinating stuff.

I watched that series recently. Couldn't get through the two episodes about mediums, but the first episode about near death experiences and the last episode about reincarnation were so interesting.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2021, 08:17:21 AM »
Just started Twin Peaks.  I have to remember the series is 30 years old.  I am in a show hole, so will continue on and see where this one goes.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2021, 08:33:49 AM »
Just started Twin Peaks.  I have to remember the series is 30 years old.  I am in a show hole, so will continue on and see where this one goes.

I remember watching for fun the first episode of The X Files, and they talked about students abducted being from the class of '89. I was puzzled for a while, "are they talking about their parents?", before I remembered that The X Files came out in 1992 and so for them '89 was just three years before  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2021, 06:07:40 AM »
I found a little gem, "Midnight Diner - Tokyo Stories". Six short episodes centered around a diner that opens at midnight, and the people that go there to eat and their story. Highly reccomended  for anyone with a slight interest in all things Japan.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2021, 07:52:58 AM »
Just powered through Tribes of Europa.  Only 6 episodes in the first season.  I thought overall is was entertaining. 

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2021, 11:01:59 AM »
Just saw Prospect. Pretty good Sci Fi.  I felt like I was watching a Hayao Miyazaki flick, so if you're into his style, check it out.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2021, 11:42:24 AM »
Just powered through Tribes of Europa.  Only 6 episodes in the first season.  I thought overall is was entertaining.

I was considering watching this one.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: March 02, 2021, 02:35:42 PM »

Mostly German language with subtitles but some English mixed in.  I heard it's from the same creators as Dark.  Haven't watched that one yet but I heard it was good.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2021, 10:51:36 PM »

Mostly German language with subtitles but some English mixed in.  I heard it's from the same creators as Dark.  Haven't watched that one yet but I heard it was good.

Just finished watching Tribes of Europa. I thought it was quite good, though not to the level of excellence of Dark.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2021, 02:51:35 PM »
The Serpent

Series about a French serial killer in the 70's in South east asia. Pretty decent so far

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2021, 12:49:23 PM »
Just finished The Queen's Gambit.  Totally lived up to the hype.  Awesome show.

I also recently watched Age of Samurai: Battle for Japan, a 6-episode docuseries on feudal Japan.  Lots of blood.  Good stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2021, 07:44:28 PM »
omg guys start Jupiter's Legacy right now.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #156 on: May 11, 2021, 02:37:00 AM »
The Serpent

Series about a French serial killer in the 70's in South east asia. Pretty decent so far

That was pretty cool. I usually watch deeper/artier stuff but this was a nice change for me. Heavy subject matter, but quite light in tone and some nice scenery.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: May 11, 2021, 07:03:11 PM »
S2 of Love, Death and Robots this Friday  :metal

If any of you who like sci-fi type stuff haven’t watched S1 it’s a must. Really good.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #158 on: May 11, 2021, 08:27:29 PM »
S2 of Love, Death and Robots this Friday  :metal

If any of you who like sci-fi type stuff haven’t watched S1 it’s a must. Really good.
Sweet! Loved every single episode of S1. Can't wait to binge this one as well.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2021, 01:26:06 AM »
I'm on a break from Netflix so this will have to wait. I still have a gift card that I will probably use after summer so I don't see the point in being naughty when I will have legitimate means to watch it whenever I'll decide. Maybe I should keep a master list of shows that I want to watch so when I will use Netflix again, I know which ones to put in my list, and Love, Death and Robots definitively has to be in that list.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: May 12, 2021, 01:47:35 AM »

Son of a bitch RJ......thanks a lot. Take a peek at my time stamp. Just binged this entire show. That was not the plan when I started. It was supposed to be two episodes and to bed. Really good stuff. When the  :censored is S2 gonna hit?

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2021, 02:26:17 AM »

Son of a bitch RJ......thanks a lot. Take a peek at my time stamp. Just binged this entire show. That was not the plan when I started. It was supposed to be two episodes and to bed. Really good stuff. When the  :censored is S2 gonna hit?

Horses for courses.  I really didn't like this at all - looked cheap (compared to The Boys, Umbrella Academy for example) and was quite boring imparicular the parts set in the present.  Honestly has a feel of a show Netflix will axe (like The Irregulars) very quickly.   I hope they don't for you guys enjoying it, gotta be honest though and say I haven't heard much good word of mouth outside this thread.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 04:37:45 AM by soupytwist »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2021, 04:37:53 AM »

Jesus dude.  How do you function??
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2021, 06:40:34 AM »

Lots of coffee. Really regretting that decision this morning.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #164 on: May 12, 2021, 06:45:58 AM »
Holy Shit Gary.  Those days are over.  LOL  I remember getting the 3 DVD's from Netflix.  We binged 24.  It would be midnight and Lisa and I had to get up at 5 am.  Can't do that anymore.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2021, 06:59:50 AM »

Lots of coffee. Really regretting that decision this morning.

:rollin

Sorry dude lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2021, 07:46:40 AM »

Horses for courses.  I really didn't like this at all - looked cheap (compared to The Boys, Umbrella Academy for example) and was quite boring imparicular the parts set in the present.  Honestly has a feel of a show Netflix will axe (like The Irregulars) very quickly.   I hope they don't for you guys enjoying it, gotta be honest though and say I haven't heard much good word of mouth outside this thread.

I liked the premise and idea behind it. There were a few cliche moments but I did think it was enjoyable enough. It’s certainly not ‘The Boys’ but it was entertaining enough to lure me into watching 8 episodes straight  :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2021, 09:25:00 AM »
I'd put it between Boys and Umbrella Academy.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2021, 09:38:51 AM »
So is Jupiter's Legacy and Umbrella Academy like the anti-heroes show like The Boys and Watchmen? How'd you rate the four together? I'm extremely skeptical of starting any Netflix shows these days until they become super popular so you know they'll stick around. Or just watch mini-series like The Queen's Gambit, etc.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2021, 09:40:24 AM »
Umbrella Academy has two seasons and is definitively coming back for a third.

It's not that much antiheroes per se, it's just that the heroes are a bit disfunctional.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2021, 10:21:08 AM »
I'd put it between Boys and Umbrella Academy.

Totally agree.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2021, 11:27:57 AM »
I know it's a pretty niche show, but I started watching Shtisel on Netflix. It's an Israeli show about an ultra-orthodox family in Jerusalem and it is....amazing. It's all in Hebrew and Yiddish (well, 99%) so you have to read subtitles, but it's just an amazingly well written family show. I strongly suggest it for anyone looking for a look into interpersonal dynamics in a very restrictive sub-culture. The characters are extremely deep, multi-dimensional, and well written. The acting is top notch. No super heroes or explosions, but I strongly recommend it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2021, 12:24:34 PM »
Didn't see it but I saw Unhortodox instead, with the same actress I believe. That was quite intense and dark.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2021, 12:34:16 PM »
Didn't see it but I saw Unhortodox instead, with the same actress I believe. That was quite intense and dark.

Yea, Unorthodox is another fantastic one, though different. The star of that has a supporting role in Shtisl but she's also amazing. While Unorthodox was entirely about her and her journey, Shtisl is much more about the family/community.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2021, 03:40:09 PM »
So is Jupiter's Legacy and Umbrella Academy like the anti-heroes show like The Boys and Watchmen? How'd you rate the four together? I'm extremely skeptical of starting any Netflix shows these days until they become super popular so you know they'll stick around. Or just watch mini-series like The Queen's Gambit, etc.

I'd put Jupiter's well below The Boys, Umbrella, Invincible, Watchmen, Doom Patrol and the two recent Marvel shows.  If I was to put it on a par with something it'd be one of the lesser Marvel Netflix shows like Ironfist or Luke Cage but with strangely cheap 'arrowverse' production values.