Author Topic: Stuff on Netflix  (Read 38377 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Stuff on Netflix
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2020, 09:39:24 AM »
Yo Gary. Did you watch Waco yet?

Not yet. I got side tracked by 'After Life' with Ricky Gervais. Really good show. Probably hop on Waco soon though.

After Life was great. I was binging it and stopped with two episodes left. I was tired of feeling sad  :lol

Well....I started S2 last night and had a hard time getting through the first episode. They entirely threw out the first seasons progress/story. Suddenly he's back to square 1? I get grief and all that but at this point it's a little over the top. I'll probably try ep. 2 to see if it improves but if it's going to be more of the same then I'll kindly decline finishing S2.

I went ahead and knocked out S2. While it's 'good'.....it's pretty much a re-hash of S1. I hope Gervais changes his approach for S3.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2020, 04:16:05 AM »
I blew threw Space Force over Friday and Saturday night.

I think it's a miss unfortunately. It had its moments, but I was bored A LOT. I guess I was expecting/hoping for some kind of Parks and Rec meets Veep kind of thing, but instead we got Michael Scott's second movie staring Michael Scarn.

I love Steve, but I really think he was the weak point of this show. Maybe it was the voice he was doing the whole time or something, I don't know. I think this show definitely shows how crucial writing is. This show should have been a shoe-in given its cast.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2020, 11:14:34 AM »
I blew threw Space Force over Friday and Saturday night.

I think it's a miss unfortunately. It had its moments, but I was bored A LOT. I guess I was expecting/hoping for some kind of Parks and Rec meets Veep kind of thing, but instead we got Michael Scott's second movie staring Michael Scarn.

I love Steve, but I really think he was the weak point of this show. Maybe it was the voice he was doing the whole time or something, I don't know. I think this show definitely shows how crucial writing is. This show should have been a shoe-in given its cast.

I’ve heard and read far too many lackluster reviews for me to give this one a shot. Just not gonna do it. Even when it was announced I though casting Michael Scott in that role was a bad idea. Because, unfortunately for Steve Carell, he’s always going to be Michael Scott to the majority of people.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2020, 09:42:39 AM »
Space Force is truly a dud. :-\

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2020, 09:57:04 AM »
I watched most of it a second time between Sunday and Monday. I enjoyed it way more on the re-watch for some reason.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2020, 06:12:48 AM »
Apparently Netflix scored the trademark to "Space Force" before the US government  :rollin

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2020, 05:02:14 AM »
Tried to watch the new Netflix movie "The Last Days of American Crime". Gave up after 15min.
Apparently it has a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2020, 09:24:25 AM »
Sat out on my patio this weekend and watched the new F is For Family season while I cooked some beef.   

Awesome season as always. It was dark though. So many episodes ended on a miserable note.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2020, 06:47:13 AM »
Watched "Legalize Everything" by Eric Andre tonight. I'm a fan, and this didn't disappoint. He had me in tears, the guy is INSANE. (Psychosane?)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2020, 05:31:18 PM »
Both seasons of Cobra Kai are now on Netflix. Love this show
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 06:41:41 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2020, 06:29:27 PM »
Both seasons of Cobra Kai are not on Netflix.

Well that sucks.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2020, 09:56:46 AM »
1BR

A movie about a girl that moves into an apartment complex that turns out to be a cult. Its an excellent psychological thriller and I highly recommend it anybody that like cult stuff or psychologic movies.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2020, 11:12:48 AM »
Tread was a pretty interesting watch. It's a documentary about the guy who made the killdozer and went about destroying his town back in 2004.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2020, 10:24:02 AM »
The Social Dilemma- It goes into social media's effect on people. I really enjoyed it

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2020, 06:08:56 PM »
Watched the documentary "My Octopus Teacher" last night.  WOW!!!  I'm not even sure it qualifies as a documentary because the story is so moving and compelling.  A MUST see!!!!!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2020, 08:51:27 PM »
Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga

A bit long, and the accents are at times, hard to try to take seriously, but this was worth seeing just for the use of Sigur Ros tunes alone.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2020, 01:48:21 PM »
Challenger - a couple episode mini series that goes into the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster and everything that led up to it.

Apparently, the issue was known and ignored by the higher ups.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2020, 03:02:50 PM »
Just finished the first season of Cobra Kai.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2020, 07:54:32 PM »
Challenger - a couple episode mini series that goes into the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster and everything that led up to it.

I found that series to be absolutely fascinating, given that I was only 6 when the shuttle blew up and I still remember watching it on tv.  But I never knew more than that.  I saw the memorial in Arlington Cemetery as a kid.  It was heartbreaking to see the engineers involved in building those shuttle rockets show their regret in not fighting harder to get the launch cancelled. 

Over the last few months, I've watched:

Broadchurch - absolutely amazing

Ratched - I loved it, though it was essentially just another season of American Horror Story

Warrior Nun - It took several episodes to really get my attention, but I enjoyed the last 3-4 episodes.

Slasher - a fun, canadian series, where each season was about one series of slasher killings.

Fear City - great, 3-episode docuseries about how the FBI and Rudy Guiliani took down the heads of the five families in the New York Mafia in the late 70's to early 80's.

Stateless

Waco

Enola Holmes - fun little movie about Sherlock Holmes' sister. 

The Devil All the Time - dark movie with a great cast, whose characters all slide in and out of each other's lives.

Online faizoff

« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2020, 12:01:13 AM »
American Murder - The Family Next Door.

This doc put a pit in my stomach. I remembered a few details surrounding this event but this doc footage is from police bodycam, home survelance, facebook feeds, etc.. I really wish I hadn't seen it. Not that it's gory or anything but just plain sad and awful to think about.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2020, 01:09:12 AM »
Broadchurch - absolutely amazing

Can confirm!

My only minor complaint is that they didn't inform the actor / actress / actors / actresses (staying vague because of spoilers) of who what responsable of what, and so a revelation in the last episode kinda comes suddenly and doesn't give you the feeling of "Of course, why didn't I realize this?", but for the rest it's brilliantly made.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2020, 03:12:36 PM »
Netflix is releasing their first ever Egyptian production on November 5th, it's called Paranormal and it's based on my favorite best-selling Egyptian book series of the same name. I've read these books numerous times and still am a huge fan so this is truly a huge deal for me.
They released the first teaser trailer today, here it is dubbed in English. On YouTube you can watch with original audio and subtitles.
It's been in the works for sometime and I had started a podcast about it a while back, in English, to kinda familiarize the Western viewer with the book series and what to expect, or rather what I'm expecting. Here it is and it's fb fan page if anybody's interested, it's my first shot at podcasting so any feedback on what could be done better would be appreciated  :)
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2020, 12:56:21 PM »
My only minor complaint is that they didn't inform the actor / actress / actors / actresses (staying vague because of spoilers) of who what responsable of what, and so a revelation in the last episode kinda comes suddenly and doesn't give you the feeling of "Of course, why didn't I realize this?", but for the rest it's brilliantly made.
Doesn't that make it a more effective mystery reveal than the typical one that has hints scattered throughout the story?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2020, 01:28:35 PM »

Was this done similarly to HBO's Chernobyl?

And yeah, NASA knew all about the o-ring and what cold temps meant for them. Roger Boisjoly tried to warn them.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2020, 03:34:36 PM »
Doesn't that make it a more effective mystery reveal than the typical one that has hints scattered throughout the story?

Yeah, I guess that they're two different approaches. There's not a golden rule for this, whatever works for the story, works for the story, but one of the fun things about mysteries is being "beaten fair" by the protagonist. He did solve the mystery before you, but you could have done it too, you saw what he has seen. In this case there was no way to find out until.... well, people who have seen it know.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2020, 07:29:29 AM »

And yeah, NASA knew all about the o-ring and what cold temps meant for them. Roger Boisjoly tried to warn them.

No.  Chernobyl was a portrayal of what happened, where the Challenger mini-series is a documentary.  They interviewed the families/surviving spouses of the astronauts, the engineers that built the rockets, individuals from NASA.  It was really, really good.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2020, 07:33:33 AM »

No.  Chernobyl was a portrayal of what happened, where the Challenger mini-series is a documentary.  They interviewed the families/surviving spouses of the astronauts, the engineers that built the rockets, individuals from NASA.  It was really, really good.

Gotcha. I'm going to give it a watch anyway. I wish we could see a few more mini-series like Chernobyl. I thought that was very well done.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2020, 12:31:09 PM »

Yeah, I guess that they're two different approaches. There's not a golden rule for this, whatever works for the story, works for the story, but one of the fun things about mysteries is being "beaten fair" by the protagonist. He did solve the mystery before you, but you could have done it too, you saw what he has seen. In this case there was no way to find out until.... well, people who have seen it know.
I've seen it.

I thought this show was devastating.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2020, 04:14:24 AM »

Gotcha. I'm going to give it a watch anyway. I wish we could see a few more mini-series like Chernobyl. I thought that was very well done.

Yeah Netflix's Challenger was good, but over the years I've seen a few Challenger docs on youtube that are just as good and as thorough. They even interview the same people.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2020, 05:33:42 AM »
Haunting of Bly manor

If you liked haunting of Hill house, then you might like this. Its by the same people and has the same vibe.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2020, 09:16:55 PM »
I posted it elsewhere, but Queen's Gambit is an absolute must watch.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2020, 12:57:16 AM »
I posted it elsewhere, but Queen's Gambit is an absolute must watch.

I'm 2 episodes in!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2020, 11:55:45 AM »
Just finished Queen's Gambit.  Wonderful show.  :tup
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2020, 11:59:05 AM »

It actually made me want to play chess again, downloaded an app for it right after the third episode  ;D

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2020, 03:14:49 PM »

It actually made me want to play chess again, downloaded an app for it right after the third episode  ;D

Yup same here. Many moons ago I kept a USCF rating and played at my local chess club. Thinking about going down that path again.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa