Author Topic: Stuff on Netflix  (Read 38248 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Stuff on Netflix
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2020, 01:47:45 PM »
Has anyone here watched 'Atypical'?  It's in its 3rd season now.  I've watched the first 2 seasons.  It's a show that centers around a dysfunctional family's autistic high school son.  Michael Rapaport and Jennifer Jason Leigh are the parents.  It's a good show with a lot of awkward, uncomfortable humor and a fair share of heart-warming stuff, too.  I'd highly recommend it.

Yep. Love it. It's a really good show. My wife is a Special Needs teacher and she's amazed at how accurate and well that actor portrays a kid on the spectrum.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2020, 07:25:23 PM »
I started Medici and enjoyed the first episode, but then saw the CBS All Access free trial is now 30 days, so I'm binging on Star Trek Picard.  I'll come back to Medici when I get a chance.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2020, 10:47:13 AM »
Has anyone here watched 'Atypical'?  It's in its 3rd season now.  I've watched the first 2 seasons.  It's a show that centers around a dysfunctional family's autistic high school son.  Michael Rapaport and Jennifer Jason Leigh are the parents.  It's a good show with a lot of awkward, uncomfortable humor and a fair share of heart-warming stuff, too.  I'd highly recommend it.

Started it. Looks interesting! Also the episodes are few and short so it's gonna be an easy viewing.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2020, 11:46:30 AM »
Dead to Me Season 2 coming to Netflix May 8th!
https://twitter.com/deadtome/status/1248643003356516354

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2020, 06:14:47 PM »
Anyone here check out The Outlander? My mom gave it high praises so I'm giving it a go...

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2020, 08:23:08 AM »
Unabomber: In his own words

Very interesting. Goes deep into detail on the whole thing and real far into his psychology. Pretty decent 4 episode mini series 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 08:33:57 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2020, 09:50:36 AM »
Unabomber: In his own words

Very interesting. Goes deep into detail on the whole thing and real far into his psychology. Pretty decent 4 episode mini series

May have to check that out. I just watched the one on Bill Gates, Inside Bill's Brain. It was quite excellent, really wipes away all the bullshit surrounding him and shows him as a really rich guy trying to do a little good. And that even billions of dollars won't turn a nerd into a cool person.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2020, 07:07:12 PM »
Just finished up Bojack Horseman the other day, what a stunning show. Capable of being quite hilarious on many different levels, but also with a pathos that should be the envy of many serious dramas. The second to last episode (The View From Halfway Down) is particularly incredible, maybe top ten episode for any TV comedy for me.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2020, 10:40:15 PM »
Just finished up Bojack Horseman the other day, what a stunning show. Capable of being quite hilarious on many different levels, but also with a pathos that should be the envy of many serious dramas. The second to last episode (The View From Halfway Down) is particularly incredible, maybe top ten episode for any TV comedy for me.

I cannot heap enough praise on this show.   I was totally unprepared for its insight into human frailty and emotional breakdown.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2020, 07:11:37 AM »
Anyone here check out The Outlander? My mom gave it high praises so I'm giving it a go...
Bumping Lonestar's question to ask the same.

My wife is crazy about this show, and all her girlfriends. Viewing parties, etc. (back before isolation).
I know they are all hot and bothered about the actor that plays Jaime, but has anyone here watched it and enjoyed it for the story?

I watched the first two episodes last night while she was watching the most recent, enjoyed what I've seen so far, but is it basically a chick-flick in series form? Do I need to turn in my Man Card?  :-\

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2020, 11:00:24 AM »
Bumping Lonestar's question to ask the same.

My wife is crazy about this show, and all her girlfriends. Viewing parties, etc. (back before isolation).
I know they are all hot and bothered about the actor that plays Jaime, but has anyone here watched it and enjoyed it for the story?

I watched the first two episodes last night while she was watching the most recent, enjoyed what I've seen so far, but is it basically a chick-flick in series form? Do I need to turn in my Man Card?  :-\

Wow, great timing.  My wife is completely obsessed with Outlander and has watched 5 seasons in less than 2 weeks time.   :lol   

She was urging me to watch it so she could talk about it with someone, so I'm almost done with the first season.  The first season is really based on the romantic elements - Claire's relationship with Jaime.  There has been enough to keep me interested - scenes of torture, a witch trial, another time traveling personl, several rescues from the British.  Some episodes I've been into, others, I lose focus on.  But overall, I enjoy the story so far.

My wife said that the second season is more action oriented and reminded her more of Breaveheart, as the Scots fought the British in another rebellion. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 11:09:12 AM by Grappler »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2020, 10:16:13 PM »
Space Force trailer.

https://youtu.be/bdpYpulGCKc

So excited for this!
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2020, 01:05:00 AM »
I've seen mentioned on Netflix a new mini series, Hollywood, about the golden age of the industry.... looks good, maybe if I run out of stuff to watch in this quarantine I'll give it a go, they're 7 episodes. The trailer is lenghty and gives a great idea of the show, perfect to judge if it's interesting for one's tastes or not.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2020, 06:17:31 AM »
I had a lazy night last night and watched all but two episodes of After Life by Ricky Gervais.

Man, that show is doing a number on me. It's brilliant, but there are scenes are hard to get through just because of how certain things in my life have transpired. It's a lot like his show Derek in that it's sad and depressing as hell, but he still finds these moments in the darkness that make you laugh and genuinely smile.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2020, 06:54:49 AM »
I had a lazy night last night and watched all but two episodes of After Life by Ricky Gervais.

Man, that show is doing a number on me. It's brilliant, but there are scenes are hard to get through just because of how certain things in my life have transpired. It's a lot like his show Derek in that it's sad and depressing as hell, but he still finds these moments in the darkness that make you laugh and genuinely smile.

Such a great show. It's both hilarious and tragically sad, especially since it makes me think of what a blob of crap I would turn out to be if I lost my wife.
Also, holy shit, Gervais is actually a good dramatic actor. IMO

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2020, 07:27:31 AM »
One episode into Waco on netflix. The whole david koresh Waco incident, but its told like a story, not like a documentary. Pretty decent

The best part was when Koresh was like "All you husbands, no more sex with your wifes. The burden of sex is on me. I'm having all the sex"  :rollin

But then after that, it gets tragic
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 10:11:51 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2020, 10:28:19 AM »
One episode into Waco on netflix. The whole david koresh Waco incident, but its told like a story, not like a documentary. Pretty decent

The best part was when Koresh was like "All you husbands, no more sex with your wifes. The burden of sex is on me. I'm having all the sex"  :rollin

I'm on the fence about watching it but I did hear that it wasn't all 'pro ATF'.......the Davidians are bad....government is good....crap that the public was fed. Which was surprising. But I don't know if I want to get riled up again recalling how a branch of our government outright slaughtered 90 people for no good reason.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2020, 10:39:11 AM »

I'm on the fence about watching it but I did hear that it wasn't all 'pro ATF'.......the Davidians are bad....government is good....crap that the public was fed. Which was surprising. But I don't know if I want to get riled up again recalling how a branch of our government outright slaughtered 90 people for no good reason.

Watch it. You won't hate it.

Scout's honor.

I watched it last week. It's presented really well. I thought about calling it quits after the first two episodes, but I'm glad I stuck it out. If anything, it was crazy seeing the event unfold from the perspective of being inside the compound. Any footage we've (I've) ever seen was from the outside.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2020, 11:06:34 AM »

Watch it. You won't hate it.

Scout's honor.

I watched it last week. It's presented really well. I thought about calling it quits after the first two episodes, but I'm glad I stuck it out. If anything, it was crazy seeing the event unfold from the perspective of being inside the compound. Any footage we've (I've) ever seen was from the outside.

:tup  I may give it a go then.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2020, 08:59:53 PM »
Space Force trailer.

So excited for this!

Oh man, I knew about Steve Carrell, but the rest of that cast looks great too :tup

I've circled back and added The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt to my current rotation, went through all of season 1 today. Quality show.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2020, 08:58:55 AM »
Space Force trailer.

So excited for this!

Saw the trailer last night and I am excited
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2020, 09:36:45 AM »
Dead To Me Season 2 is on Netflix NOW!  :tup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmU7ylnmn_M

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2020, 09:19:31 AM »
Just caught this by accident last night, watched all three episodes and haven't laughed that much in ages; real, belly-hurting laughs.

Middleditch & Schwartz, 100% improvised show, almost like a two-man play, based on an audience prompt, so each show is completely different.

https://youtu.be/2Vao8d50hzw

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2020, 09:22:17 AM »
I watched that special on Netflix. I thought it was great.

Nick Kroll and John Mulaney have a special on Netflix called Oh, Hello - On Broadway

I got a kick out of that one too.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2020, 09:32:53 AM »
I got through 5-10 min of Oh Hello and I didn't like it.

I love John Mulaney and, as of now, this might be the only thing I've seen from him that I didn't like. Though I'm not a Nick Kroll fan.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2020, 09:37:39 AM »
I've seen mentioned on Netflix a new mini series, Hollywood, about the golden age of the industry.... looks good, maybe if I run out of stuff to watch in this quarantine I'll give it a go, they're 7 episodes. The trailer is lenghty and gives a great idea of the show, perfect to judge if it's interesting for one's tastes or not.

Watching this, it's set after World War II and details the life of aspiring stars in the golden age of cinema... the atmosphere is very well done, but it's a bit dark, all the male protagonists either have to be gigolos for rich women, or give sexual favors to closeted homosexuals.  Basically a pre Weinstein situation, with men being the ones who are exploited.

As I wrote it's 7 episodes so after the first three I'll see it through, the story is interesting enough but the amount of sexual exploitation is depressing (and wouldn't have been any better or worse if women were the subject of it, of course).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2020, 12:17:25 PM »
I caught the new Jerry Seinfeld comedy special on Netflix, 23 Hours to Kill.

It's pretty good if you like him already, but I doubt it would make anyone start liking him that previously didn't.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2020, 12:30:57 PM »

I love John Mulaney and, as of now, this might be the only thing I've seen from him that I didn't like. Though I'm not a Nick Kroll fan.

I had a similar reaction to it. I think I like Kroll in small doses, like he was used in Parks and Rec. It's also probably why I haven't watched all of that animated show he has on Netflix while I've had no problem finishing the Bill Burr animated one.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2020, 12:34:39 PM »

I had a similar reaction to it. I think I like Kroll in small doses, like he was used in Parks and Rec. It's also probably why I haven't watched all of that animated show he has on Netflix while I've had no problem finishing the Bill Burr animated one.

F is For Family is one of the best animated shows I've ever watched. That show is excellent. I can't recommend it enough.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2020, 06:52:33 AM »
Trial by Media

Really liking this show. It goes into how the media plays into influencing how court cases play out and highlights big cases of the past.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2020, 10:24:12 AM »
Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich

Pretty good so far. 4 episodes total and it goes real deep into all the shady stuff that was going down.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2020, 10:24:54 AM »
Yo Gary. Did you watch Waco yet?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2020, 10:33:23 AM »

Not yet. I got side tracked by 'After Life' with Ricky Gervais. Really good show. Probably hop on Waco soon though.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2020, 10:40:45 AM »

Not yet. I got side tracked by 'After Life' with Ricky Gervais. Really good show. Probably hop on Waco soon though.

After Life was great. I was binging it and stopped with two episodes left. I was tired of feeling sad  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2020, 10:04:36 AM »

After Life was great. I was binging it and stopped with two episodes left. I was tired of feeling sad  :lol

Well....I started S2 last night and had a hard time getting through the first episode. They entirely threw out the first seasons progress/story. Suddenly he's back to square 1? I get grief and all that but at this point it's a little over the top. I'll probably try ep. 2 to see if it improves but if it's going to be more of the same then I'll kindly decline finishing S2.