Author Topic: Stuff on Netflix  (Read 41541 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Stuff on Netflix
« Reply #280 on: December 14, 2022, 06:33:24 PM »
Warrior Nun has been cancelled by NETFLIX   I just finished up S2 last week....it was a nice follow up to S1 but I can see where they'd cancel it. While it was entertaining the story struggled a bit. I can see where they were trying to take it for a potential S3 but nonetheless it won't matter.

Typical. Guess I’ll delete that from My List.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #281 on: December 16, 2022, 09:53:37 PM »
I've just about lost my patience with Netflix. I pretty much don't bother with any new shows there because I know they won't make it past a season. At least, the kind of shows I like won't. I want to cancel it but not sure my family would go for it. They dropped to the bottom for me, for the most part.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #282 on: December 16, 2022, 10:01:24 PM »
I've just about lost my patience with Netflix. I pretty much don't bother with any new shows there because I know they won't make it past a season. At least, the kind of shows I like won't. I want to cancel it but not sure my family would go for it. They dropped to the bottom for me, for the most part.

Same feeling here. It’s incredibly frustrating
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: December 17, 2022, 05:04:32 AM »

Same feeling here. It’s incredibly frustrating

I find myself waiting for something to have a lot of 'buzz', or 3+ seasons behind it before jumping in to anything new.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline faizoff

« Reply #284 on: December 19, 2022, 07:19:58 AM »
Is anyone else watching 1899?  It's pretty damn good.  Titanic meets X-Files.  You should definitely check it out.  2 thumbs up and I'm only 3/4 of the way through the end of the season.

Yes, I watched it and enjoyed it. Bit of a mind bender.

If you haven’t watched Dark, I can't recommend that show highly enough. It’s by the same creators of 1899. Dark is my favourite ever Netflix produced show.

Watched the first episode last night.....would have watched more but I started late. It's certainly intriguing and has that 'feel' like Dark did. Looking forward to getting a few episodes under the belt the next couple days.

Through five episodes…..I’m enjoying it….yet, while it has that ‘Dark’ feel and atmosphere it’s not quite ‘Dark’ level. But it is interesting

Watched the first episode last night, it was a great start. Love the setting and atmosphere. Different from 'Dark' but definitely interesting.

Finished this one up. I'll start by saying I did like it...it was interesting and I like those types of shows/movies. My issue with it is that the closing 3 or 4 episodes get REAL convoluted and they just start going all 'LOST' on us and adding elements to the story at lightning speed. Wasn't bad at all and I'm hoping for a second season.

I finished it last night and get what you're saying about the lightning speed reveals and new elements. I semi-agree, they could've spaced it out a bit more but at the same time I really enjoyed them. I think the last episode was great and ending it the way they did was really cool.

I want more of this show already and the show creators have said they have a 3 season arc already planned and know how to end things. I really hope they do get those 2 seasons but am not holding my breath. Even if they don't I'm content with just the one season. overall I really enjoyed it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #285 on: January 02, 2023, 04:30:49 PM »
1899 cancelled by Netflix  ::)

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: January 02, 2023, 05:51:03 PM »

Wow….couldn’t even give it a S2 huh? That blows……what a waste of time that was then.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #287 on: January 02, 2023, 07:04:54 PM »
I want more of this show already and the show creators have said they have a 3 season arc already planned and know how to end things. I really hope they do get those 2 seasons but am not holding my breath. Even if they don't I'm content with just the one season. overall I really enjoyed it.

Good thing I was already bracing for the cancellation.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #288 on: January 03, 2023, 12:52:26 PM »

Wow….couldn’t even give it a S2 huh? That blows……what a waste of time that was then.

I just started watching that and I read yesterday of the cancellation four episodes in, meh.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #289 on: January 03, 2023, 01:48:27 PM »
That blows.

I refuse to start a show on Netflix at this point unless it's already concluded. I'm tired of being burned. All they're going to be left with one day is a graveyard of unfinished content.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: January 03, 2023, 02:15:42 PM »
My friend was just recommending 1899 to me and my gf and I were going to start watching it soon.  Oh well, not going to bother now. 

And yeah, I don't understand investing in a show like that just to cut it.  Maybe another studio will pick it up? 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: January 03, 2023, 04:21:44 PM »
That blows.

I refuse to start a show on Netflix at this point unless it's already concluded. I'm tired of being burned. All they're going to be left with one day is a graveyard of unfinished content.

I'll jump in if there's 2-3 seasons completed, and enough general buzz that gives it a good indication it won't be cancelled on a cliffhanger.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #292 on: January 03, 2023, 04:24:28 PM »
Shame they didn't invest in it further. Was an interesting, imperfect show.

Restarted Netflix over the break to watch Glass Onion, which I enjoyed.

Just started watching Wednesday on Netflix on my son's recommendation. V funny. Not a fan of the Addams Fam at all but was really amused by the little I've seen so far.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #293 on: January 03, 2023, 07:37:32 PM »
Started a 4 episode show called Inside Man.  Really good first episode.

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: January 04, 2023, 07:08:36 AM »
I read people buzzing about 1899 and how it good it was and I said, the only way I am gonna watch this is IF there are enough seasons already on the platform. Good thing I held up. My brother shares his Netflix account with me, that's the only reason why I still (from time to time) watch something on there. I wouldn't pay for a service that's known for cancelling their best stuff ALWAYS (not always but you know what I mean)

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: January 04, 2023, 07:13:12 AM »

What's odd is that NETFLIX came to them after the success of 'Dark' and signed them to a deal. This was their first project under that deal and they've said it was a three season arc....why not at minimum let a S2 happen?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: January 04, 2023, 08:16:20 AM »

What's odd is that NETFLIX came to them after the success of 'Dark' and signed them to a deal. This was their first project under that deal and they've said it was a three season arc....why not at minimum let a S2 happen?

Yeah, I don't get that.  Also, people like myself who only just heard of the show.  I didn't even see it on the netflix new shows list until last weekend. It's like they didn't even give it a chance.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #297 on: January 04, 2023, 05:12:41 PM »
If you ignore the last few minutes of the final episode of 1899, it works as a one season show. :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #298 on: January 04, 2023, 05:44:09 PM »
On episode 3 of Treason with Charlie Cox. Good show, but it's weird watching him act after seeing him as daredevil for so long, I keep thinking he's still blind.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: January 04, 2023, 07:11:19 PM »
On episode 3 of Treason with Charlie Cox. Good show, but it's weird watching him act after seeing him as daredevil for so long, I keep thinking he's still blind.

Yeah, I’m wanting to watch that one, but it will be a little odd.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #300 on: January 05, 2023, 06:13:43 AM »
So we just got Netflix again just so we could catch Glass Onion and a couple others that are available on there - Red Notice, Uncharted, and I forget what else. All pretty entertaining flicks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: January 05, 2023, 01:13:40 PM »

Yeah, I don't get that.  Also, people like myself who only just heard of the show.  I didn't even see it on the netflix new shows list until last weekend. It's like they didn't even give it a chance.

Found this article that tried to explain the cancellation of 1899....

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/real-reason-why-netflix-keeps-163348321.html

excerpt:

To solve the puzzle of 1899’s cancellation it is necessary to look beyond aesthetics and dig into the numbers. Because while subscribers watched a pretty whopping 257 million hours of 1899, a mere 32 per cent made it through the entire eight-episode season (according to figures by UK data analytics company Digital i). Compare that with the 80 per cent who completed the mega-hit Squid Game, the 73 per cent who got through Heartstopper or the 60 per cent who binged steampunk animation Arcane, and it’s no mystery that 1899 found itself in the danger zone.

had completion rates matter to Netflix more than top-of-the-line viewing figures was recently confirmed by Sandman author Neil Gaiman. He urged devotees of the Netflix adaptation of the series to make sure they watched all the way through. Sandman was expensive to make, he said. The more people binged to the end, the better the odds of a Netflix renewal.

“They are looking at completion rates,” he said. “So people watching it at their own pace [i.e. not bingeing immediately] don’t show up.”

The biggest mystery of all is why Netflix is so obsessed with completion rates. One theory is that viewers who watch a series all the way through are more likely to renew their subscription – which is all Netflix ultimately cares about. Critical buzz and a place in the water-cooler conversation are fine. Yet the bottom line is that it’s all about a) audiences continuing to pay for their Netflix fix every month and b) attracting new subscribers.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #302 on: January 05, 2023, 02:32:00 PM »
I read that but there have been some shows that got cancelled pretty much right after release like the live action Cowboy Bebop. I think the cancellation announcement came a few days after release. Plus if people are like me, other than one or two shows I take ages to complete shows and season once they drop.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: January 05, 2023, 02:36:50 PM »
I read that but there have been some shows that got cancelled pretty much right after release like the live action Cowboy Bebop. I think the cancellation announcement came a few days after release. Plus if people are like me, other than one or two shows I take ages to complete shows and season once they drop.

Yeah....and I think that article says they actually told them in December a couple weeks after the series released that they were cancelling it....so...it's doubtful that anything could have saved that show.

I think I'm just going to do what Chad does and the show is going to have to have at least three seasons in the bank for me to start watching it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: January 05, 2023, 02:57:56 PM »
On the surface, completion % seems like a good metric.  But if it's not given time for people who don't binge watch, that's not fair.  I say this as someone who is not a binge watcher (usually). 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: January 05, 2023, 04:08:51 PM »
On the surface, completion % seems like a good metric.  But if it's not given time for people who don't binge watch, that's not fair.  I say this as someone who is not a binge watcher (usually).

Agreed. I’m a binge watcher……if you have episodes stacked up I’ll hammer them out. I’ll typically get through an 8-10 episode season in two or three nights

Not everyone can or will do that. I’d say 4-5 months is a fair timeline to gauge

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #306 on: January 05, 2023, 04:36:25 PM »
I watch one episode per day, sometimes two, and I consider that a "binge".

Everyone has their own habits and there's not a right way to enjoy entertainment, one does whatever they want to do in their own free time, but I consider very weird and also very unfair giving too much importance (in the context of deciding which shows get to continue and which not) only to people who watch 47 episodes in a row during a weekend.

I mean, how much can you even actually get and absorb during a binge watch? there's only so much you can memorize of the whole story, without the time to reflect upon it. Of course not all shows are similar and I think Emily in Paris is way more "bingeable" than 1899, where part of the fun is reflecting upon the mindfuckery you just seen and maybe discuss it online.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: January 06, 2023, 04:53:59 AM »
Sorry, but that theory seems like horseshit to me.  If 1000 people watched something, and 1000 people finished it, then the completion rate is 100%, but who cares because so few people watched it.  Also, maybe the author wants to take a stab at why Sense8 was cancelled then.

I'm not saying completion rate doesn't matter, but there are other variables at play.  Also, by cancelling a show, they're outright having a direct impact on that completion rate - for those that haven't finished it, why bother now?  For those of us that never started it, well, we sure as shit aren't going to complete it now either.

I can't see this as anything other than the 'instant gratification' of society today.  If something isn't a success out of the gate for Netflix, it's at risk.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: January 06, 2023, 08:40:20 AM »
I'm sure there's other stats they take into account.

I wonder if they track who watches the trailer and then doesn't watch the show.  I did this for 1899 for example. We were going to eventually watch it, but the trailer didn't really get either of us interested.  But when a friend recommended it the next day (ironically), we figured we should give it a shot.  Not going to now.  But makes me wonder if I became a stat in that regard. 

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: January 06, 2023, 10:59:43 AM »
Sorry, but that theory seems like horseshit to me.  If 1000 people watched something, and 1000 people finished it, then the completion rate is 100%, but who cares because so few people watched it.  Also, maybe the author wants to take a stab at why Sense8 was cancelled then.

I'm not saying completion rate doesn't matter, but there are other variables at play.  Also, by cancelling a show, they're outright having a direct impact on that completion rate - for those that haven't finished it, why bother now?  For those of us that never started it, well, we sure as shit aren't going to complete it now either.

I can't see this as anything other than the 'instant gratification' of society today.  If something isn't a success out of the gate for Netflix, it's at risk.

On the other hand, if 2/3 of people who start the series quit halfway through, that's probably a good indication that they won't be watching season 2.  It's not the only metric they use, but I can see why it's important.  My only real issue is that they are looking at a fairly short window.  I was watching Sandman with my family, and we deliberately restricted our viewing to 2 episodes just so we wouldn't burn through it so fast.  So, we were watching the whole series at a steady clip, but Netflix probably didn't include us in the "completion" numbers because we took too long to get there.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #310 on: January 14, 2023, 08:56:05 AM »
I'm halfway through seeing Kaleidoscope, heist series told in a non linear way (the order of the episodes is not linear, but every single episode is).

Looks fun and promising, also the cast gives us an occasion to see an unsuspecting meth dealer against an high ranking nazi officer, so it's gonna be fun seeing those two villains pitched against each other  :D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: January 14, 2023, 02:59:40 PM »
I'm halfway through seeing Kaleidoscope, heist series told in a non linear way (the order of the episodes is not linear, but every single episode is).

Looks fun and promising, also the cast gives us an occasion to see an unsuspecting meth dealer against an high ranking nazi officer, so it's gonna be fun seeing those two villains pitched against each other  :D

Is that the one with Giancarlo Esposito in one episode?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #312 on: January 14, 2023, 04:49:28 PM »
One episode? he's top billed and he's the protagonist. Not the stand-alone protagonist, it's an ensemble cast after all, but he's definitively the main character.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: January 14, 2023, 08:22:17 PM »
One episode? he's top billed and he's the protagonist. Not the stand-alone protagonist, it's an ensemble cast after all, but he's definitively the main character.
. When I first saw the trailer a few weeks back, I checked IMDB, and he was only listed for 1 episode. I’m quite glad to see he’s the main protagonist.  I was figuring his character was killed quickly, and they were just using him as a ‘draw’ of sorts. Now I’m more intrigued.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #314 on: January 15, 2023, 06:04:55 PM »
Don't know who's into cooking competition shows, but Pressure Cooker is fun as hell. No host, all challenges are delivered by a kitchen printer, which is the cause of ptsd to many a chef. And while having plenty of drama, unlike most shows where half the competition are fucking hacks, all these chefs are absolute nails in the kitchen.