Author Topic: Stuff on Netflix  (Read 41040 times)

Online faizoff

Re: Stuff on Netflix
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2020, 09:30:54 PM »
Finished season 1 of The Crown. Every episode I'm just amazed at the production value of every scene, it was touted as the most expensive show for Netflix when it started and it shows. The show itself is fantastic and dramatize history is always fun to watch. The score, the clothes, the sets, the cinematography are all breathtaking and really pull you in. The acting is what you'd expect for such a show with John Lithgow killing it as Churchill.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2020, 01:05:44 AM »
I finished yesterday season 4. Go all the way, it's a great show and makes you want to research whatever historical event is being discussed in an episode.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2020, 09:40:44 AM »
I love The Crown.  Every role is perfectly cast - the actors look so much like their real-life counterparts and the acting is so damn good.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2020, 09:43:59 AM »
I've never seen it but heard lots of good things.

We've been watching New Girl. Really makes me giggle, and is good for us and our teen kids.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2020, 10:04:16 AM »
Loved New Girl but got bored of it in later seasons, and finished it just to basically get rid of it.

Until you enjoy, I assume you'll enjoy it greatly. Go for it!!! it's real fun until the fun passes (everyone I guess will have their "nah, this is enough" moment with the show).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2020, 10:28:16 AM »
I'm surprised they made so many. Sounds like it wears thin.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2020, 12:47:36 PM »
Suff I'm Netflixing...

NORSEMEN - Better than expected. It's a sitcom about vikings... but with the care for detail that you'd get from the Vikings show itself. Comedy and historical accurancy, and even Wardruna music? the best of both worlds!
INTO THE NIGHT - Nothing out of this world but the premise - the sun for whatever reason is killing people and so a plane has to fly to stay always on the half of the planet where it's night - was interesting enough to give it a try. It's 6 episodes of 40 minutes so it's worth a try.
DIRK GENTLY - An absolutely wacky pseudo fantasy comedy with Frodo reluctantly becoming a sidekick to a "holistic detective" who is out to solve interdimensional crimes or whatever. Ah, it's easier to watch it than explain it, looks like a lot of fun for such a complete wackfest.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2020, 07:39:36 PM »
I honk King tried to pump Norsemen on me a while ago. I probably sound like a snob, but I just can’t get past overdubbing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2020, 01:03:06 AM »
I honk King tried to pump Norsemen on me a while ago. I probably sound like a snob, but I just can’t get past overdubbing.

It's a bilingual show; I've read that they shot all the scenes twice, first in norwegian, and then in english, so technically there's no dubbing, it's the actors themselves speaking english.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2020, 06:04:27 AM »

It's a bilingual show; I've read that they shot all the scenes twice, first in norwegian, and then in english, so technically there's no dubbing, it's the actors themselves speaking english.

No shit. I coulda swore the trailer I watched was dubbed. Might need to reconsider this.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2020, 07:58:33 PM »
I posted it elsewhere, but Queen's Gambit is an absolute must watch.

Just finished it. Fantastic little show. Loved it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2020, 11:39:46 PM »
Haunting of Bly manor

If you liked haunting of Hill house, then you might like this. Its by the same people and has the same vibe.

Just finished this. It definitely got better as the show progressed, though I was a little confused by the final scene.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2020, 11:42:22 PM »
Suff I'm Netflixing...

NORSEMEN - Better than expected. It's a sitcom about vikings... but with the care for detail that you'd get from the Vikings show itself. Comedy and historical accurancy, and even Wardruna music? the best of both worlds!
INTO THE NIGHT - Nothing out of this world but the premise - the sun for whatever reason is killing people and so a plane has to fly to stay always on the half of the planet where it's night - was interesting enough to give it a try. It's 6 episodes of 40 minutes so it's worth a try.
DIRK GENTLY - An absolutely wacky pseudo fantasy comedy with Frodo reluctantly becoming a sidekick to a "holistic detective" who is out to solve interdimensional crimes or whatever. Ah, it's easier to watch it than explain it, looks like a lot of fun for such a complete wackfest.

Dirk Gently is based on the Douglas Adams novels, which explains the wackfest aspect  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2020, 01:05:55 AM »
I just finished season 1 and it all brilliantly came together. Looking forward to season 2!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #119 on: December 13, 2020, 03:22:49 PM »
Finished Love & Anarchy. You know the game Truth or Dare, right? well, a consultant gets stuck in a game of dares with the young IT at the publishing house she starts to work, it's set in Sweden and on top of the married woman daring back and forth with the young kid you get a nice worldbuilding with all the characters of the publishing house... funny, quirky and sometimes NSFW. I enjoyed every minute and I even watched it in the original language (with english subtitles of course) for maximum immersion!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2020, 08:36:50 PM »

Fantastic show!  I loved the ending when she got out of the limo in Moscow and met all of the old guys playing chess.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline mike099

« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2020, 08:39:20 PM »

Great show!  I loved the ending when she went to meet the old guys playing chess on the streets in Moscow.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #122 on: December 31, 2020, 12:14:15 PM »
Just watched Death to 2020, a black humorish mockumentary about our favorite year in recent history.

It starts great with rapid fire dark jokes about various stuff happened in the world, but in the second half it gets dragged down by the whole discussion of the US elections. I mean, they just happened, and they come back to occupy a lot of time. The mockumentary lasts 70 minutes, if you cut 10 minutes from the elections stuff and bring it down to an hour, it would be more even.

Still, it was funny, if you like that kind of dry, black-ish humour. You got Samuel Jackson, Hugh Grant and Lisa Kudrow amog others playing fictional characters giving their opinions on the events of the year.

Offline mike099

« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2021, 09:10:28 PM »
Halt and Catch Fire

This is show about computer technology in the 1980’s.  The series is 4 seasons and flows well.

Online faizoff

« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2021, 12:51:17 AM »
Halt and Catch Fire

This is show about computer technology in the 1980’s.  The series is 4 seasons and flows well.

Just started watching this show. I'm on season 2 and it's great
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2021, 11:12:29 AM »
Just started Dead to Me.  Pretty good thus far.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: January 04, 2021, 09:15:52 PM »
The Queen's Gambit. 

Did the semi old fashioned one show a day (only seven episodes).

Five stars.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2021, 05:40:23 AM »
Just started Dead to Me.  Pretty good thus far.

Yeah, it's not bad.

I watched Equinox... weirdass supernatural mystery set in Denmark, not really worthwhile.

Also, I didn't really want to commit to it since there are many episodes, but I was intriguied by the premise of Designated Survivor and I started watching it, I expected a bit more of buildup to the premise (the US government being wiped out and a random designated survivor becoming president) but that was done away in the first 10 minutes  :lol but I get that the show is all about the aftermath, and not the frantic moments surrounding the attack.

I guess I'll stick with it until I'll get bored, the first two episodes were cool.

Online faizoff

« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2021, 01:51:54 AM »
Halt and Catch Fire

Just started watching this show. I'm on season 2 and it's great

Completed the series. I can't believe what an emotionally amazing show this was. The characters were fantastic and the last season was one of the best season of any show. It has potential to be in my top 10. The music and songs chosen throughout are spot on.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2021, 01:58:02 AM »
A good choice for a "filler" series (6 episodes of 20 minutes each) is "The history of swear words", hosted by Nicholas Cage. Every episode is dedicated to a specific swear word. It's not ROTFL levels of laughing, but there's a good chuckle here and there.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2021, 06:32:01 AM »
A good choice for a "filler" series (6 episodes of 20 minutes each) is "The history of swear words", hosted by Nicholas Cage. Every episode is dedicated to a specific swear word. It's not ROTFL levels of laughing, but there's a good chuckle here and there.

Currently watching, and Cage does a decent job playing up his Overactor persona.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2021, 11:35:41 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9t86v_JMG0

A lot of content coming to Netflix this year  :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #132 on: January 17, 2021, 12:15:24 PM »
I watched the documentary about the Night Stalker, four 45' episodes with inteviews with the detectives that hunted him.

It was interesting, the atmosphere of LA in the '80s, the contrast between the glamorous facade and the nightly terrors lurking behind it was portrayed quite well.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2021, 06:19:10 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9t86v_JMG0

A lot of content coming to Netflix this year  :corn

"A new movie every week". Wow.  Impressive.  I'm sure a bunch of them will be  :tup, and just as many  :tdwn

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2021, 02:18:11 PM »
I watched the documentary about the Night Stalker, four 45' episodes with inteviews with the detectives that hunted him.

It was interesting, the atmosphere of LA in the '80s, the contrast between the glamorous facade and the nightly terrors lurking behind it was portrayed quite well.

Just watched it. Really decent

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2021, 07:22:17 AM »
Crime scene the vanishing at the cecil hotel

Show that goes into the disappearance of a girl and the mystery and weird stuff surrounding it at a notorious LA hotel. Pretty interesting

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2021, 07:27:04 AM »
Just finished the two seasons of Mindhunter a week ago.  Really good series.

Looked for another drama/crime thriller type show and settled on The Sinner.  First season was pretty good, blew through that pretty quickly.  Taking a bit longer to get into season 2, but still decent.  Not as good character development in this show as there was on Mindhunter, but the first season of The Sinner, at least, was pretty interesting.  And it stars Bill Pullman as the main detective and he does a great job.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2021, 07:56:00 AM »
Seasons 1 and 2 of The Sinner were really cool.  I didn't get into season 3 when it aired on USA last year. 

I'm struggling to find things to watch on Netflix this week.  I've watched some movies, or started them and they just don't hold my interest.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #138 on: February 12, 2021, 10:19:31 PM »
Just saw The Grizzlies.

It's a must watch, especially if you're interested in the Innuit or into Lacrosse.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #139 on: February 13, 2021, 08:52:09 AM »
Crime scene the vanishing at the cecil hotel

Show that goes into the disappearance of a girl and the mystery and weird stuff surrounding it at a notorious LA hotel. Pretty interesting

Most likely explanation is that the girl was bipolar and she had a manic episode. Yeah, the "elevator mystery" is creepy and interesting but once you realize all the weird stuff can be explained with paranoia and a manic depressive episode of an ill person, the idea of watching a show trying to frame it as an intriguing mystery loses its charm.