Author Topic: Stuff on Netflix  (Read 41426 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Stuff on Netflix
« on: January 28, 2020, 06:30:08 AM »
Just wanted to make a Netflix specific thread since that's the main thing I use and I'm always seeing netflix specific stuff that I want to recommend, which don't really warrant a whole new dedicated thread.

First up, Killer inside, The mind of Aaron Hernandez

3 episode miniseries about the NFL Patriots player who was convicted of murder. Really good series and its definitely worth a watch.

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Stuff on Netflix
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 06:44:01 AM »
I just started You and two episodes in it looks good. It's about a stalker - charming enough to be "likeable", of course the brackets are gigantic and an hyperbole, stalkers are bad - who insinuates himself in the life of a girl he falls blindly in love with. You get his voiceover to explain his actions and his modus operandi.

On Netflix I also want to watch the three Dracula big episodes (90 minutes each).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online faizoff

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 06:45:58 AM »
I've been meaning to watch that Aaron Hernandez series, it's on my list.

Several years ago if this thread would've been made, we'd be talking about just 3 or 4 shows that are on Netflix. Now their content is huge and many of the main shows and movies warrant their own threads.

But this would be a good thread for all the little things on there that sometimes don't get attention.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 10:49:06 AM »
I'll always recommend Peaky Blinders. It is/was produced by the BBC but Netflix has the distribution rights. For those that might not know it's a show that follows a 1920s Irish gang in Birmingham England. The acting is solid, the storylines are mostly great (one season isn't as great), and the music is killer.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 11:08:17 AM »
That's on my to-watch list.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 11:44:57 AM »
I'll always recommend Peaky Blinders. It is/was produced by the BBC but Netflix has the distribution rights. For those that might not know it's a show that follows a 1920s Irish gang in Birmingham England. The acting is solid, the storylines are mostly great (one season isn't as great), and the music is killer.

Very good show. From what I've read there is no immediate plan to stop this show. They have several more seasons planned.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 03:56:15 PM »
Get on Ozark.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 10:03:56 PM »
Get on Ozark.

Yeah!  Season 3 release March 27th!! 
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 12:27:40 PM »
I got partway into season 2 of Peaky Blinders before my pre-Episode IX Star Wars re-watch led me to starting Clone Wars. Very much enjoyed it though.
Photobucket sucks.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 06:54:11 PM »

First up, Killer inside, The mind of Aaron Hernandez

Just finished watching this, wow, that was good, sd, emotional. it had everything!!!

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 09:28:21 AM »
"Don't F*ck With Cats". Excellent documentary series that's NOT what you would think it's about, judging by the title.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 09:35:35 AM »
"Don't F*ck With Cats". Excellent documentary series that's NOT what you would think it's about, judging by the title.

Yeah, that one was really good. It gets better and better as it goes on. Crazy stuff.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 08:23:33 AM »

Yeah, that one was really good. It gets better and better as it goes on. Crazy stuff.

I've never seen a documentary with an actual plot twist at the end, very clever.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 11:58:43 PM »

Right?! Insane. Maybe the weirdest/craziest true crime stories I’ve ever heard. And I watch/read ALOT of true crime.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2020, 09:51:50 AM »
Night on Earth

Basically, there's a narrator and they have super sensitive nighttime cameras to watch nature play out a night, in a bunch of different environments. Pretty interesting, and oddly relaxing.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2020, 12:20:41 PM »
Currently watching the second season of Sex Education.  Not great, but an ok series.

Waiting for Ozark and Better Call Saul :tup
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2020, 01:39:41 PM »
Currently watching the second season of Sex Education.  Not great, but an ok series.

I thought Sex Education was great. It's not a big drama or anything. It's really low key, but they have such great characters and the I feel the plots are all there to serve character development. Also Maeve is god damn sexy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2020, 01:45:15 PM »
Santa Clarita Diet is hilarious!
Timothy Olyphant has amazing comedic timing and Drew Barrymore is funny as shit as well. The whole cast is excellent. Nathan Fillion as a severed head is hysterical. If you like stupid comedy this show is for you!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2020, 01:47:22 PM »
Timothy Olyphant has amazing comedic timing and Drew Barrymore is funny as shit as well. The whole cast is excellent. Nathan Fillion as a severed head is hysterical. If you like stupid comedy this show is for you!

It's a fantastic show. Just fantastic. I'm glad it ended before it go terribly wrong, but I'm also sad it ended.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2020, 06:26:32 PM »

I thought Sex Education was great. It's not a big drama or anything. It's really low key, but they have such great characters and the I feel the plots are all there to serve character development. Also Maeve is god damn sexy.
The last episode of the second season was great.  That play and the costumes were awesome.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online faizoff

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2020, 08:23:17 PM »
In other major news for the Netflix viewing experience, you can now change settings to disable auto preview playback. That shit was annoying. I just want to read the description!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2020, 01:45:35 PM »

It's a fantastic show. Just fantastic. I'm glad it ended before it go terribly wrong, but I'm also sad it ended.
I hear you. Season 3 was definitely lackluster compared to the first 2.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2020, 04:41:24 AM »
Check out the Sam Dunn documentary, "ZZ Top, That Little Ol' Band From Texas".

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2020, 01:08:46 PM »

I watched that....Sam is always great, though I wish it focused more on the 80's era, when they blew up and became huge stars.

I'm just starting season 3 of The Crown, which has been really good.  Watched the first two seasons over the last two weeks.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2020, 07:41:06 AM »

I watched that....Sam is always great, though I wish it focused more on the 80's era, when they blew up and became huge stars.

How much time do they spend talking about the car.  And do they discuss the irony of the only non-bearded member being Frank Beard?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2020, 08:18:02 AM »

How much time do they spend talking about the car.  And do they discuss the irony of the only non-bearded member being Frank Beard?

The last 13-15 minutes of a 90-ish minute film talk about the car and the Eliminator singles and videos.  Most of the film is about how they met and developed their sound in the 70's.  It was a good film and I love Sam Dunn, but I love that 80's era so much. 

They did talk about Frank being the only non-bearded member.   :lol  I didn't know that he had extensive drug problems.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2020, 07:15:54 PM »
For anyone that liked Castlevania, there is now a season 3 that was just released. Its fairly decent

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2020, 06:34:36 AM »

The last 13-15 minutes of a 90-ish minute film talk about the car and the Eliminator singles and videos.  Most of the film is about how they met and developed their sound in the 70's.  It was a good film and I love Sam Dunn, but I love that 80's era so much. 
I like their more poppy hit singles from the 80s for sure, but their 70s stuff is fantastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2020, 11:13:52 AM »
Been watching 'The Chef Show' starring Jon Favreau and it's very entertaining if you like cooking shows! 30-minute per episode formula and he has some famous guests (several actors he has worked with etc) and all in all it's good stuff!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2020, 02:06:19 PM »
Been watching 'The Chef Show' starring Jon Favreau and it's very entertaining if you like cooking shows! 30-minute per episode formula and he has some famous guests (several actors he has worked with etc) and all in all it's good stuff!
It's on my list.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2020, 06:54:26 PM »

That 1st show with Bill Burr was hilarious. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2020, 10:51:57 AM »
Trials of Gabriel Fernandez

Sad, yet provocative and engaging. Story of child abuse.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2020, 01:11:46 PM »
I watched the season 2 opener of the Korean series Kingdom. Man, this series is just so well produced, how it is filmed and the sets remain amazing. I highly recommend the first season for those who haven't seen them.

Aside from zombies in an ancient eastern Asia, there is a lot of interesting political intrigue with plays for power that reminds me of Game of Thrones. And thus far everything seems connected and well written.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2020, 09:15:25 AM »
"Tiger King' is pretty crazy. Exploring the underworld of these roadside Tiger and Exotic animal 'zoos' and specifically a rift between a couple of them. I'm only two episodes in but it's pretty crazy.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2020, 01:33:26 PM »
Has anyone here watched 'Atypical'?  It's in its 3rd season now.  I've watched the first 2 seasons.  It's a show that centers around a dysfunctional family's autistic high school son.  Michael Rapaport and Jennifer Jason Leigh are the parents.  It's a good show with a lot of awkward, uncomfortable humor and a fair share of heart-warming stuff, too.  I'd highly recommend it.