Author Topic: Kobe Bryant died  (Read 13133 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Kobe Bryant died
« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2020, 08:31:04 AM »
Well, we know one thing for sure.  Visibility was bad.  That is reason enough not to fly.  Outside of that is just the normal risks and dangers of flying.  Whoever decided to fly that day was just adding risk and danger.  You're right Stad, they all knew the inherent risks or should have anyway.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2020, 09:49:18 AM »
Seems to me that SNA (I believe their departure airport) is a good ways from Topanga where they got socked in. While they still needed to know the weather for their entire flight, it might have changed en route, or been reported as less severe. Moreover, the intention might well have been to skirt around the fog until ATC requirements (the long hold before transitioning BUR) changed things up. I'm sticking with my original premise that taking off and attempting the flight wasn't unreasonable. Flying into a fog bank over hilly terrain was negligent under the circumstances.

I'm also not ruling out inflight medical emergency. The loss of radio contact along with the strange dive at the end seems a little out of place from the working theory.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2020, 10:34:56 AM »
I always say, better safe than sorry, but that is a good point Barto about loss of radio contact.  I didn't consider that scenario.  Very much a possibility.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #143 on: February 04, 2020, 05:48:10 PM »
This may not be a good comparison, but think of the times you have driven somewhere in a torrential downpour or a bad snow storm or when there were tornado warnings.  It's easy to think, "I will be extra careful and all will be okay," and 999 times out of 1,000, it will be okay, but all it takes is that 1 time. 

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2020, 08:59:18 PM »
I remember explaining to a younger friend of mine one time about why he was a dad. He was touting the efficacy of pulling out as being something like 99.x% and in a matter of like ten seconds I asked him how often he and the baby mama were fuckin and over what length of time and immediately mentally calculated that they'd fucked their way past the threshold where that 99.x% efficacy could be expected to hold up.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #145 on: February 05, 2020, 08:23:05 AM »
Bear in mind, too, that the human brain is provably bad at assessing and categorizing risk.   We cavalierly do things all the time that are far more risky than things we plan and meticulously execute as if they are "dangerous". 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2020, 08:05:04 PM »
This should get the lawsuits rolling.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7951253/Charter-company-owned-Kobe-Bryants-helicopter-suspends-flights-tragic-crash.html

Well, you called it.

Kobe Bryant's widow sued the owner of the helicopter that crashed in fog and killed the former Los Angeles Lakers star and their 13-year-old daughter last month as she publicly mourned their deaths Monday in an emotional public ceremony.

The wrongful death lawsuit filed by Vanessa Bryant in Los Angeles Superior Court on Monday said the pilot was careless and negligent by flying in cloudy conditions Jan. 26 and should have aborted the flight that killed all nine people aboard.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: February 25, 2020, 04:20:47 PM »
The Celebration of Life they held yesterday at Staples center was pretty heartwarming. Vanessa, Jordan, and Shaq all spoke from the heart and there were a lot of tears.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2022, 05:42:48 AM »
Vanessa and others won a multimillion lawsuit yesterday.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2022, 09:01:35 AM »
Vanessa and others won a multimillion lawsuit yesterday.
I think that was just for asshole cop selling cellphone pictures of the mangled corpses. Glad she won, and that cop was almost certainly shitcanned within days of the incident (that's a huge no-no and an area where cops get very little cover). I'm guessing the charter company et al settled their cases a long time ago.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #150 on: August 25, 2022, 10:39:21 AM »
Damn!  I heard about the photos but how did a cop get a hold of them?  I thought only NTSB investigators could take photos.  ???

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #151 on: August 25, 2022, 10:48:05 AM »
Could the cops have responded first, or would NTSB been on the scene before them?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #152 on: August 25, 2022, 11:14:33 AM »
I'm sure that cops and other first responders would have been first on the scene.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: August 25, 2022, 11:32:53 AM »
My, little, understanding was the cop was on the scene and took the pics.  Glad they won the lawsuit, that is so screwed up.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2022, 11:37:14 AM »
I wish cops had to have insurance that'd pay these settlements out. Sucks the taxpayer is on the hook for $16M because of this asshole's actions.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2022, 12:38:49 PM »
Damn!  I heard about the photos but how did a cop get a hold of them?  I thought only NTSB investigators could take photos.  ???
In theory that's correct, and the NTSB and FAA have very strict procedures in place to protect privacy. Cops do too, but they're also not supposed to be snapping pictures of dead celebrities. This guy was just an asshole, and probably an unemployed one now, at that.

Johnny will almost certainly be first on the scene, second to civvies if it happens in a populated area. Even in a place like Los Angeles the NTSB is going to be a couple of hours out. Members of a go-team will get texts within minutes, but they still have to meet up, prepare, make a game plan, etc.
E.F. Benson

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2022, 01:33:54 PM »
Sucks the taxpayer is on the hook for $16M because of this asshole's actions.

Which is less than 5 cents per capita
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2022, 04:33:55 PM »
In theory that's correct, and the NTSB and FAA have very strict procedures in place to protect privacy. Cops do too, but they're also not supposed to be snapping pictures of dead celebrities. This guy was just an asshole, and probably an unemployed one now, at that.

Johnny will almost certainly be first on the scene, second to civvies if it happens in a populated area. Even in a place like Los Angeles the NTSB is going to be a couple of hours out. Members of a go-team will get texts within minutes, but they still have to meet up, prepare, make a game plan, etc.

I'd think something like that would be a prosecutable offense.  Just losing his job seems rather lenient.