Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 429701 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #5985 on: November 18, 2020, 03:28:36 PM »
HUMANS BAD! Faith in humanity, like, totes lost!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5986 on: November 18, 2020, 04:36:14 PM »
Back in the day. Stupidity and Curiousness would get you killed, and all anyone would do is shrug and say, "Well, they should've known better"  or "I told them, but they didn't believe me, and had to see for themselves."

I know I'm not wrong.  :biggrin:    The world is full of selfish fucking morons who don't give two shits about anything other than themselves.   Knowing this makes my life a lot less frustrating.  Basically, lower your expectations and you won't be constantly disappointed in people.  I used to expect people to treat me the same way I treat them, but I've learned over and over and over and over and over and over and over again and again and again and again and again and again that NO ONE reciprocates.   Ever.  And if they DO it's because they have an agenda.  Cynical?  Yep.  And I live a better life as a result because I am NEVER disappointed with anyone because I don't expect squat from anyone. 

You know what I learned. Expectations are the cause for a lot of people's disappointment and grief.

So, so true.  I am rarely disappointed because I expect the worst from everyone.  It's kind of a sad commentary on our society that I live my life this way and experience very few surprises these days because I expect the worst from everyone.  It's not intended to reflect negatively on everyone around me.  It's intended to protect myself, to shield myself from constant disappointment, which is what my life was for a long time because I always expected people to think the way I think, which is to default to kindness and sharing.  To be more interested in giving than in receiving.  I spent the first half of my life being a taker.  Being that person that everyone crosses the street to avoid when they see them coming.  Being that person who makes the older version of me into a much more emotionally and socially cautious person.  It's too bad I can't jump in a time machine and go tell that fucking idiot 19-year-old version of myself what the real deal is, but we all play the hand we're dealt, not the hand we wish we had.

Great words there. I too wish I could tell my teenage self these things. But everyone wishes they can change the past, so why reflect upon it. As Rafiki from The Lion King says when he wacks Simba on the noggin, "Doesn't matter, its in the past."

I like how you said that "We are played the hand we're dealt, not the hand we want." That is true. We sometimes get a hand we have no choice but to fold. But, then after we get a hand we can put all our chips in.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5987 on: November 18, 2020, 04:42:23 PM »
   I don't expect the customer service team at Apple to suck and be horrible people.  I expect them to be professionals; but if they aren't it's not personal, it's not about me, and I have no standing to demand anything else.  There are a LOT of people who love to play the metaphorical "do you know who I AM?!?" card.   

I respond back..."Obviously not, or else, I'd be groveling like these people"

I expect The Apple Team to hire people who are skilled in Apple product knowledge of software and repair. That's expected of a company that is pushing a product you use. I would want them to have basic knowledge of how to fix it, because I sure as hell don't.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5988 on: November 18, 2020, 04:55:36 PM »
No worries, I don't take it as arguing at all.  I don't know.  I guess you'd have to walk a few miles in my hush puppies to get a better sense of where I'm coming from with this and I'm probably not doing a great job of expressing it.  I'm really not a pessimistic person.  This recent election is a great example of my positive outlook.  Most of my friends on social media were freaking the fuck out about the election because they were all convinced that they were not going to like the outcome.  I remained very confident in what the outcome would be and I was positively bursting with optimism throughout the entire 2020 election cycle.  And in the end, although I was wrong about the margins, I was right about the outcome, even though the "expect the worst from everyone" philosophy was still there, I thought people with my worldview would rise to this occasion and they did, in an historic way too. 

Since I have low expectations, and when people do things collectively that are beneficial for all of humanity, it gives me a sense of "Alright..." in a good way, like a feeling of joy for all of us as a collective human species.

So I don't want to leave everyone with the impression that I am this totally constantly negative person who spews nothing but anger and resentment.  Not at all.  In fact, since I gave up expecting anything good from anyone my life has improved dramatically.  To put it in the simplest terms I guess you could say I just don't give a fuck anymore.  I don't need to convince anyone that I'm right, wrong or indifferent about anything because I stopped caring what other people think.  The freedom this mindset offers is very refreshing. 

You may have noticed I steer clear of the politics forums now.  I have about as much interest in arguing about politics as I do in shoving a catheter up my urethra.  Such a colossal waste of time and effort that was.  It was one of the best things I ever did for myself.

I totally understand that view you are describing. the "I don't give a fuck" mindset. It's like, I am looking out for what is best for myself, and if you don't like it, well too bad, This is helping me better myself and be a better human being. Only "The Self" Knows itself, and not "The Other". "The Other" can never know everything about "The Self".

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5989 on: November 19, 2020, 06:44:40 AM »
No worries, I don't take it as arguing at all.  I don't know.  I guess you'd have to walk a few miles in my hush puppies to get a better sense of where I'm coming from with this and I'm probably not doing a great job of expressing it.  I'm really not a pessimistic person.  This recent election is a great example of my positive outlook.  Most of my friends on social media were freaking the fuck out about the election because they were all convinced that they were not going to like the outcome.  I remained very confident in what the outcome would be and I was positively bursting with optimism throughout the entire 2020 election cycle.  And in the end, although I was wrong about the margins, I was right about the outcome, even though the "expect the worst from everyone" philosophy was still there, I thought people with my worldview would rise to this occasion and they did, in an historic way too. 

So I don't want to leave everyone with the impression that I am this totally constantly negative person who spews nothing but anger and resentment.  Not at all.  In fact, since I gave up expecting anything good from anyone my life has improved dramatically.  To put it in the simplest terms I guess you could say I just don't give a fuck anymore.  I don't need to convince anyone that I'm right, wrong or indifferent about anything because I stopped caring what other people think.  The freedom this mindset offers is very refreshing. 

You may have noticed I steer clear of the politics forums now.  I have about as much interest in arguing about politics as I do in shoving a catheter up my urethra.  Such a colossal waste of time and effort that was.  It was one of the best things I ever did for myself.

I appreciate your honesty.  My response is offered for others to contemplate, but I think I've come to a similar - not identical - place but in a very different way (and it's not for everyone, just look in the P/R area for proof of that).

I saw you wrote this:  "Most of my friends on social media were freaking the fuck out about the election because they were all convinced that they were not going to like the outcome." and "I thought people with my worldview would rise to this occasion and they did, in an historic way too." 

I struggle to equate that mindset - not saying you are wrong, simply saying I struggle with it - with this, which I agree with deeply:  "We are played the hand we're dealt, not the hand we want."    They are not really compatible, at least as I see it.  I believe I'm a good person, with good intentions, who cares about other people.   Yet - just to use your example, not to make this about politics - I don't see the election outcome in the same metaphysical way you do.  It's not the product of an optimistic worldview.  It was a different kind of disaster.   So something - or someone - is wrong.  I don't think it's as easy as "you are", or "I am", so how do we reconcile that?   And I've sort of chosen to separate the emotional out of it.   There is no "right" or "wrong" in that sense of the word.  THERE CAN'T BE; it's illogical, because both states can't coexist.

We - and the people that think like us - do not exist in a vacuum.  The world is CHOCK FULL of people that think differently from me AND that thing differently from each other.  There's not two sides, one right and one wrong.  There are 20, 30, 40, 50, maybe more, maybe 1,000's of sides, each with elements of objective right and subjective maybe (could be right, could be wrong, sometimes both in context) and we have to allow for that.   I can't - psychologically - view the world as simply "worst case"; I'm not wired that way, so I have sort of been pushed in the corner of removing the emotion from it.  It's not easy, especially when most of the people around you not only haven't, but have no interest in doing that, but it is what it is.  I have traded momentary bouts of doubt and anxiety for a far more comprehensive sort of peace that I never really had before.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5990 on: November 19, 2020, 11:16:13 AM »
Forum lacks a "like" button but that was a quality post  :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5991 on: November 19, 2020, 12:06:14 PM »
I had a old work colleague, and current FB friend post this.  He posted quite a number of months about about participating in a trial, so I'm fully confident this is 100% legit.

Pfizer Vaccine Public Service Announcement (my version):
Based on the side effects after the injections, I’m 100% certain I received the Pfizer COVID vaccine and not the placebo as part of the trial. Here’s what I’ll say (which aligns with what most are reporting)...
- 1st injection, no big deal. Injection site pain is MUCH worse and lasts longer than any other shot I’ve ever had, but it didn’t disrupt my day.
- 2nd injection produced some notable unpleasantness, but it was gone the next day. I had the same level of injection site pain as the 1st shot, but that night was no fun AT ALL. Entire body ached, and I suffered chills (1st time in my life) as well as sweating. Had a very difficult time sleeping. But in the morning, I was fine. Basically a 24 hour impact without really disrupting anything (whatever “work” it is that I do didn’t change).
Regardless of the side effects, they were nowhere near bad enough to dissuade me from doing it over and over again if that’s what it takes. I continue with all the same precautions that I did before (including always wearing a mask when in proximity to others), but my mind is much more at ease. I like that! I wish <wife> and <child> could have gotten it, too. We will keep up our vigilance until it’s widely available. We’re not letting our guards down.
With 95% efficacy reported, this appears to be a game changer, so get in line as soon as it’s available to you! I suggest that you don’t fret about the side effects. I’ve had PLENTY of hangovers that were much more miserable and lasted longer 😖🤣🍺
Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming

Still not sure I'll be "lining up" out of the gate.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5992 on: November 19, 2020, 12:10:53 PM »
I'm not worried about the short term side effects, if it's shown that it works, I'll get it when available.  I'll believe the science and do my part, I want to go back to concerts sooner than later.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5993 on: November 19, 2020, 12:12:59 PM »
I'll just wait and see how this plays out before I go rushing out
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5994 on: November 19, 2020, 12:36:41 PM »
I had a old work colleague, and current FB friend post this.  He posted quite a number of months about about participating in a trial, so I'm fully confident this is 100% legit.

Pfizer Vaccine Public Service Announcement (my version):
Based on the side effects after the injections, I’m 100% certain I received the Pfizer COVID vaccine and not the placebo as part of the trial. Here’s what I’ll say (which aligns with what most are reporting)...
- 1st injection, no big deal. Injection site pain is MUCH worse and lasts longer than any other shot I’ve ever had, but it didn’t disrupt my day.
- 2nd injection produced some notable unpleasantness, but it was gone the next day. I had the same level of injection site pain as the 1st shot, but that night was no fun AT ALL. Entire body ached, and I suffered chills (1st time in my life) as well as sweating. Had a very difficult time sleeping. But in the morning, I was fine. Basically a 24 hour impact without really disrupting anything (whatever “work” it is that I do didn’t change).
Regardless of the side effects, they were nowhere near bad enough to dissuade me from doing it over and over again if that’s what it takes. I continue with all the same precautions that I did before (including always wearing a mask when in proximity to others), but my mind is much more at ease. I like that! I wish <wife> and <child> could have gotten it, too. We will keep up our vigilance until it’s widely available. We’re not letting our guards down.
With 95% efficacy reported, this appears to be a game changer, so get in line as soon as it’s available to you! I suggest that you don’t fret about the side effects. I’ve had PLENTY of hangovers that were much more miserable and lasted longer 😖🤣🍺
Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming

Still not sure I'll be "lining up" out of the gate.

"Whatever "work" it is that I do"?  That's something a pimp would say.   :) :) :)

In any event, I'm in.  I'll be first in line if need be.   I like Cram's attitude:  I'll believe the science and do my part.   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5995 on: November 19, 2020, 12:38:16 PM »
I'm high risk so yeah, I'll be first to get the shot.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5996 on: November 19, 2020, 12:41:36 PM »
I'll just wait and see how this plays out before I go rushing out

I'm not falling into the high risk group, so I think based on that I'll have no option other than to wait and see as the most needed will get it first and I'm also guessing the military will get it.  While no one is going to know long term effects anytime soon, I think we are going to find that these are extremely safe.

I just wonder what types of situations are going to require you to get vaccinated.  Such as a job, or going to school, or going to a concert.  Certain scenarios may force people to get it sooner than they'd like I'd imagine. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5997 on: November 19, 2020, 12:54:51 PM »
I'm certain it's safe, I'm just not tryna be first in line to get shot up

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5998 on: November 19, 2020, 01:12:03 PM »
I'll suck the vaccine out of a random man's cock if it'll get us back to normal.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5999 on: November 19, 2020, 01:12:48 PM »
I'll suck the vaccine out of a random man's cock if it'll get us back to normal.

This is the second time I have heard you would pledge to suck cock for something now

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6000 on: November 19, 2020, 01:15:25 PM »

You rang?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6001 on: November 19, 2020, 01:17:32 PM »
This got awkward quick  :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6002 on: November 19, 2020, 01:17:58 PM »

Hold on, Bob Saget's character from Half Baked is calling....
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #6003 on: November 19, 2020, 01:40:51 PM »

Was this you? ;)

(Don't worry TAC - we don't expect you to understand.)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6004 on: November 19, 2020, 01:42:42 PM »
Even when talking about sucking a dick, it all ends up about Tim.  How poetic.  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6005 on: November 19, 2020, 01:42:56 PM »
 :rollin

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #6006 on: November 19, 2020, 01:46:16 PM »

This is the second time I have heard you would pledge to suck cock for something now

Work in a restaurant, it happens daily.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6007 on: November 19, 2020, 01:49:48 PM »

Sucking cock?!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6008 on: November 19, 2020, 01:50:56 PM »

Sucking cock?!

This is where the special sauce comes from

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6009 on: November 19, 2020, 01:52:42 PM »
It's the fastest way to stir 3 pots.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6010 on: November 19, 2020, 02:14:48 PM »
Wow; step away for an hour or two and all hell breaks loose!   :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6011 on: November 19, 2020, 02:16:02 PM »
It's all Tim's Fault.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6012 on: November 19, 2020, 02:16:52 PM »
 :facepalm: :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #6013 on: November 19, 2020, 02:31:31 PM »
Enter thread expecting serious discussion, get :corn

I'm 28, unemployed and in picture perfect health so I expect to be somewhere in the fifth or sixth wave of vaccination. If only I could get switched with some out of shape geezer (none here) who says they wanna wait and see :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #6014 on: November 19, 2020, 02:32:17 PM »
It's the fastest way to stir 3 pots.

Maybe toss a salad while you’re at it?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #6015 on: November 19, 2020, 03:29:34 PM »

Sucking cock?!

In the old days, yes lol.

Apologies for the entertaining derailment. It's Tim's fault of course

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6016 on: November 19, 2020, 03:43:43 PM »
Well, at least nobody blamed Canada!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6017 on: November 19, 2020, 03:45:11 PM »
They're not really a real country anyways.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6018 on: November 19, 2020, 03:50:14 PM »
They're not really a real country anyways.

*must resist highly inappropriate comment ...*  :biggrin:

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6019 on: November 19, 2020, 03:53:25 PM »
Enter thread expecting serious discussion, get :corn

I'm 28, unemployed and in picture perfect health so I expect to be somewhere in the fifth or sixth wave of vaccination. If only I could get switched with some out of shape geezer (none here) who says they wanna wait and see :lol

I could tie this comment in with the recent ones on this page.....but I might get banned!   :D
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!