Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 435643 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #5845 on: November 12, 2020, 01:00:57 PM »
Going out to eat for the first time since rona hit the country on Sunday; sushi joint, already used to outdoor seating, but it's supposed to be cold, so I'm curious how this is gonna work, I wonder if they'll have a canopy or something.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5846 on: November 12, 2020, 03:05:43 PM »
Going out to eat for the first time since rona hit the country on Sunday; sushi joint, already used to outdoor seating, but it's supposed to be cold, so I'm curious how this is gonna work, I wonder if they'll have a canopy or something.

If this is with your girl, please don't spend the entire evening whining about the cold and wishing for a canopy.   :) :)  Do bring a jacket that can conveniently be put over her shoulders, though.  When given lemons, make lemonade!  :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5847 on: November 12, 2020, 03:07:02 PM »

If this is with your girl, please don't spend the entire evening whining about the cold and wishing for a canopy.   :) :)  Do bring a jacket that can conveniently be put over her shoulders, though.  When given lemons, make lemonade!  :)

It is, and I will take your advice! :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5848 on: November 12, 2020, 03:09:22 PM »

In all seriousness, good luck.  Just be you.  You'll be FINE.   Remember, SHE asked YOU, so she wants to be with you, the guy she's been texting with/DM'ing/smoke signals-ing with, whatever you friggin' kids do. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5849 on: November 12, 2020, 03:10:11 PM »

In all seriousness, good luck.  Just be you.  You'll be FINE.   Remember, SHE asked YOU, so she wants to be with you, the guy she's been texting with/DM'ing/smoke signals-ing with, whatever you friggin' kids do.

Appreciate it, brother. :hug:

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5850 on: November 13, 2020, 07:28:31 AM »
Just saw this on facebook...

https://loudwire.com/ticketmaster-covid-19-vaccination-negative-test/

Will be interesting how they can make this work without it being a clusterfuck, but maybe it will get some anti vaxxers to get the vaccine.

I can also see a lot of jobs requiring it to return to offices, same with schools.
Curious about the legality of stuff like this. I suspect lots of companies will try to have stipulations like this. In my opinion, a company has absolutely no right to know my medical status. I think it's questionable whether they have the right to take my temperature before I enter their building.

The legality of a number of things are certainly in question around COVID.  I can't tell you if it's "legal" for "x" to take your temperature; it probably depends a lot on the situation, including "x".  But I feel more comfortable saying they DO have the right to not let you in to their premises if certain criteria aren't met.  Again, depends on the premises (schools aren't the same as concert venues) but there's always going to be a decision point on this stuff. 
Oh yeah, I agree to a point. No shirt, no shoes, no service. No problem with that kind of external stuff being a factor in being allowed in a business. That can extend to masks now. It can also apply to certain types of behaviors like how you're treating staff and other customers. You can certainly be kicked out of a grocery store for taking a bite of an apple and putting it back for example. The thing is, those are all external things that anyone can readily observe. I'd have a huge problem if a store said it only served circumsized men, so either whip it out and prove it or provide a doctor's note. Or demanding to see a negative HIV test from the last 60 days before you can enter their store. Once you're being asked to provide private information that isn't openly apparent to everyone observing you, that's where the line is crossed to me. I have no idea what the legality of this kind of stuff is, but I suspect that the law will be bent if not broken for Covid related things for a while.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5851 on: November 13, 2020, 07:41:22 AM »
There is an announcement scheduled for today that is set to re-introduce restrictions that they're calling "safer-at-home" restrictions .

- Restaurants/Bars have to close to indoor service but can outdoor dine or carry out/drive thru
-  Businesses including gyms/churches reduced to 25% capacity (currently set at 50%)
-  Maximum gatherings set at 10 people (currently 49)
-  People strongly urged to work from home

St. Louis is seeing a pretty big uptick in cases....our kids school district has sent all the kids back virtual full time for the next two weeks based off of the percentage of students and teachers who've tested positive for covid. The superintendent said that 5% was her benchmark for individual schools and the district when considering shut downs. There had been couple schools that were shut down already but the numbers across the district grew as well so she shut it all down.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5852 on: November 13, 2020, 07:46:30 AM »
Restaurants and bars here in Sweden can't serve alcohol after 10 PM now. I wonder how many of them are going to close now, they're already having a tough time financially.

We are urged to start working from home again, and to take Covid tests at the slightest symptoms of a cold or a flu.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline H2

« Reply #5853 on: November 13, 2020, 07:52:51 AM »
There is an announcement scheduled for today that is set to re-introduce restrictions that they're calling "safer-at-home" restrictions .

- Restaurants/Bars have to close to indoor service but can outdoor dine or carry out/drive thru
-  Businesses including gyms/churches reduced to 25% capacity (currently set at 50%)

St. Louis is seeing a pretty big uptick in cases....our kids school district has sent all the kids back virtual full time for the next two weeks based off of the percentage of students and teachers who've tested positive for covid. The superintendent said that 5% was her benchmark for individual schools and the district when considering shut downs. There had been couple schools that were shut down already but the numbers across the district grew as well so she shut it all down.
Oh yeah, I forgot there's a fellow StLouisian here. We are getting an uptick. My uni has been doing a lot of moralistic badgering along these lines. I swear, if they close the gym...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5854 on: November 13, 2020, 08:19:56 AM »
Oh yeah, I agree to a point. No shirt, no shoes, no service. No problem with that kind of external stuff being a factor in being allowed in a business. That can extend to masks now. It can also apply to certain types of behaviors like how you're treating staff and other customers. You can certainly be kicked out of a grocery store for taking a bite of an apple and putting it back for example. The thing is, those are all external things that anyone can readily observe. I'd have a huge problem if a store said it only served circumsized men, so either whip it out and prove it or provide a doctor's note. Or demanding to see a negative HIV test from the last 60 days before you can enter their store. Once you're being asked to provide private information that isn't openly apparent to everyone observing you, that's where the line is crossed to me. I have no idea what the legality of this kind of stuff is, but I suspect that the law will be bent if not broken for Covid related things for a while.

Well, your foreskin isn't contagious, or a deadly disease, so I'm not sure that's the best analogy.  HIV - unless you're going to fuck your fellow Aldi shopper in the meat aisle, I don't see this as a growing concern.  Given how significant the public health issue is around COVID, I've got no problem in businesses expanding what they will accept and not accept from their clientele.  If they can dictate what's acceptable attire, I think they have the right to dictate what's acceptable vis-a-vis communicable deadly disease(s).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5855 on: November 13, 2020, 08:21:53 AM »

Oh yeah, I forgot there's a fellow StLouisian here. We are getting an uptick. My uni has been doing a lot of moralistic badgering along these lines. I swear, if they close the gym...

Or maybe they're just badgering in the hopes of keeping people from getting and/or spreading COVID??
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5856 on: November 13, 2020, 09:16:20 AM »

Or maybe they're just badgering in the hopes of keeping people from getting and/or spreading COVID??

I have mixed feelings about this kind of thing.  On one hand, it angers me to no end to see the government treating us like children and forcing things to lock down that don't need to be locked down as long as people take reasonable precautions and remain reasonably distant and safe.  Nothing has changed in that regard:  If you remain AT LEAST 6 feet apart and/or wear masks, avoid crowding, especially indoors, don't touch your face, and wash frequently, you will remain safe.  People and businesses are fully capable of doing these things and don't need to have the government inserting itself into our lives to force the issue by acting like mini-dictators.  But on the other hand...significant enough portions of the population continue to demonstrate by their behavior that they apparently do NOT understand how to be reasonably safe, so I guess we apparently DO need the government to force us to be more locked down than necessary because of the actions of a few.  smh
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5857 on: November 13, 2020, 09:20:04 AM »

Well, your foreskin isn't contagious, or a deadly disease, so I'm not sure that's the best analogy.  HIV - unless you're going to fuck your fellow Aldi shopper in the meat aisle, I don't see this as a growing concern.  Given how significant the public health issue is around COVID, I've got no problem in businesses expanding what they will accept and not accept from their clientele.  If they can dictate what's acceptable attire, I think they have the right to dictate what's acceptable vis-a-vis communicable deadly disease(s).

You've not seen my foreskin. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5858 on: November 13, 2020, 09:22:00 AM »

I was having a good Friday until this.  :rollin

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #5859 on: November 13, 2020, 09:23:33 AM »

B.J. Smegma of 13, The Cresent, Belmont?

Will you stand up, please.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5860 on: November 13, 2020, 09:24:01 AM »

I get that those aren't the best analogies. They weren't intended to be a perfect correlation, more just that all of those thing are private medical information that a store or business has zero right to know. I fear that this pandemic may be the end of private medical information and that it is going to be perfectly acceptable for a business to demand to know your medical status when it comes to any number of things in the name of safety.

My company requires anyone entering the building to take their temperature and they may not enter if it is above 99.5F or something like that. However, our legal group has determined that we as a company do not have the legal right to know what anyone's temperature is, so it's basically a self reporting thing. Scan yourself and be honest and leave if it's high. We even have shields on the scanner that on the wall so no one else around can read it. I went to a restaurant a few months ago that took my temperature and then said it out loud for everyone around to hear. It just feels like there is no guidance from anyone as to what's legal and acceptable. Honestly I think many people don't give a shit if it's legal or not. Screw the law, we're in a pandemic.

I personally think privacy is important and we shouldn't throw it out because of the pandemic. We definitely shouldn't ignore laws already in place regarding privacy of medical information. I wish there would be some guidance on a state and/or national level as to what its legal for businesses to ask for.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5861 on: November 13, 2020, 09:29:17 AM »
One of my best friends is a pediatrician and regularly tests kids and has positive patients.  Well this morning he got a positive results and while speaking to the mom, told her the whole family needs to quarantine for two weeks and she flipped out saying she wants to live her life.... and this is why we are here.  How long has this been going on? AND you still don't get it that you need to quarantine to stop the spread that you are carrying? I hate people sometimes.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5862 on: November 13, 2020, 09:52:49 AM »

I was having a good Friday until this.  :rollin

:metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5863 on: November 13, 2020, 10:01:40 AM »

:spitcoffee:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5864 on: November 13, 2020, 10:24:30 AM »
I fear that this pandemic may be the end of private medical information and that it is going to be perfectly acceptable for a business to demand to know your medical status when it comes to any number of things in the name of safety.

Fair, and I say let's fight those battles if/when they arise.  Fear of what *might* happen shouldn't excuse detrimental behaviour around what *is* happening.  That's just me though.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5865 on: November 13, 2020, 10:27:10 AM »
I fear that this pandemic may be the end of private medical information and that it is going to be perfectly acceptable for a business to demand to know your medical status when it comes to any number of things in the name of safety.

Fair, and I say let's fight those battles if/when they arise.  Fear of what *might* happen shouldn't excuse detrimental behaviour around what *is* happening.  That's just me though.
Agreed for the most part. I just think it's important to enforce current laws on privacy and not just accept that companies are going to illegally ask for information and we just need to accept it because we're in a pandemic.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5866 on: November 13, 2020, 10:29:26 AM »

Agreed for the most part. I just think it's important to enforce current laws on privacy and not just accept that companies are going to illegally ask for information and we just need to accept it because we're in a pandemic.

Maybe it's a US thing, but what law is being violated in asking for a proof of vaccine and/or positive COVID test (since this discussion started with that from TicketBastard?  <serious question>

Here in Canada, students can suspended from school for not having appropriate vaccines.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5867 on: November 13, 2020, 10:30:05 AM »
One of my best friends is a pediatrician and regularly tests kids and has positive patients.  Well this morning he got a positive results and while speaking to the mom, told her the whole family needs to quarantine for two weeks and she flipped out saying she wants to live her life.... and this is why we are here.  How long has this been going on? AND you still don't get it that you need to quarantine to stop the spread that you are carrying? I hate people sometimes.

It's the same everywhere.  People, generally speaking, are selfish.  It's human nature, and situations that cause mass strife like a pandemic or hurricane tend to exacerbate these selfish tendencies we have as humans.  In some ways, I think it's instinctual, especially in extreme circumstances like we are in now.  And make no mistake, we are entering a significantly bad period right now.  Yes, there are vaccines on the horizon but widespread distribution (never mind adoption rates that will very likely be south of 50% in the US) will be the beginning of the end of the covid-19 era, but things are going to get a hell of a lot worse before they get better and EVERYONE has a choice to make.  Be part of the problem, or be part of the solution. 

If you're walking around with your mask down below your nose and rolling your eyes at all the public health mitigation steps that are being strongly encouraged by infectious disease experts worldwide, then I have news for you:  You're not just part of the problem.  You ARE the problem.  That's not directed at anyone here, it's just my opinion.  I see people walking around in my gym no mask, they don't wipe anything down after they use it.  If that's you, then yeah, you are the problem.  It's a lack of common courtesy and respect for the people around you.  Fuck everyone else.  <--that mentality permeates American society and it's fucking nauseating.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5868 on: November 13, 2020, 10:35:33 AM »
+1000 to that

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5869 on: November 13, 2020, 10:36:16 AM »
To be fair there were a lot of assholes not wiping down the equipment at the gym pre-covid as well and I always hated those jackwagons

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5870 on: November 13, 2020, 10:54:42 AM »
To be fair there were a lot of assholes not wiping down the equipment at the gym pre-covid as well and I always hated those jackwagons

Sure, but now they KNOW for a FACT that there is a potentially DEADLY virus lurking everywhere they touch and breathe but I really don't think many of them are doing it maliciously, but it's two things:

1. Human nature says protect myself.  Full stop.
2. "This stuff happens to other people, not me!" mentality.

Offline H2

« Reply #5871 on: November 13, 2020, 11:11:11 AM »
Having been a member of a number of gyms, it's a gym norm a lot of places to wipe down equipment before you use it, not after. Kinda backwards, but that's just how the norms have shaken out over time. (Note: this is more true of weights than cardio machines.)

With COVID, though, my gym has been supplying tons of disposable wipes and it is a rule that one must wipe down ALL of their equipment.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5872 on: November 13, 2020, 11:28:24 AM »
Several months ago, I thought it was bad when Illinois was announcing a few thousand new cases.  In the last week, the cases have been 10,000+, 12,000+ and now today they announced over 15,000 new cases.   I've been reading that lines at the testing centers are so long, people are sitting in their cars and waiting 3-4 hours to get tested.  They're advising to show up 2 hours before it even opens!

This is just insane.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5873 on: November 14, 2020, 09:04:38 AM »
A co-worker, who sits about 10 feet from me albeit facing the other way, tested positive for COVID a few weeks ago and we all had to then work from home until we got tested and had a negative result.  No one else tested positive (only 20+ of us in our office, so anyone not being at work every day for two weeks would have been obvious :lol), but it was definitely a bit worrisome.  The testing wasn't bad - a swab up both nostrils for about 10 seconds that felt like an uncomfortable (very minor) tickle.  Several co-workers since have taken to wearing their masks all day even when sitting in their cubicles.  The requirement is that we have to wear them when in the office except when sitting at our desks. Feels like another "working at home for two months" phase is coming soon, which will suck as I would much rather be at the office.  I am more organized there and the process of getting up, showering and driving to work helps to wake me up and get me energized to work, as opposed to rolling out bed and starting work right then and there.  First world problems, I know.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5874 on: November 14, 2020, 12:51:50 PM »
Some some early shots of the Million Maga March...nary a mask in sight. Lots of aggresive shouting, zero social distancing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5875 on: November 15, 2020, 12:46:39 PM »
WA just banned indoor gatherings with people not within your household, unless everyone quarantines for two weeks and tests negative. I am not following other states. Any other state(s) have this level of a restriction?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5876 on: November 15, 2020, 12:51:42 PM »
WA just banned indoor gatherings with people not within your household, unless everyone quarantines for two weeks and tests negative. I am not following other states. Any other state(s) have this level of a restriction?

CA is doing it county by county...and most of them have moved into the most restrictive purple tier, which bans all indoor dining, most personal care services and the like. They've never really done that level outside of the actual SIP order back in March.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5877 on: November 15, 2020, 12:54:02 PM »
There was also a new wave of restrictions based on businesses and such, which seems in line with what I've seen in other areas. The private indoor gathering ban is just not something I've seen elsewhere.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5878 on: November 15, 2020, 03:02:06 PM »
Yeah, that's a new one to me as well. Surprised CA didn't come up with it first  :lol

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #5879 on: November 15, 2020, 03:37:58 PM »
Oregon as of this coming Wednesday is starting a two week “freeze” where any social gathering, indoor or outdoor, cannot exceed six people from more than two households. My bet is it’ll last longer since there’s already pretty significant push back before these further restrictions, especially outside of the main urban areas. One   news article written just a few hours after the announcement was made states a public official was already saying she’ll flout the order and gather as many family and friends as she can for Thanksgiving.

So, not as restrictive as WA, no. But much more than previously.