Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 429684 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #5670 on: October 29, 2020, 09:23:12 AM »
I guess I'm seeing three major issues not getting better anytime soon, with very real potential of getting worse for more than a couple of years.

COVID / Pandemic itself
Gov't debt and economic issues related to ^
Climate disasters

Societal divide is a biggie too.  And that's just what we know about right now.

Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, it's just how I sees it.

cram beat me, but other than the pandemic, these same problems were happening 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 etc.... years ago. There are a lot of problems out there in the world. There have always been divides. You're right to worry, but absolutely none of this is new or unique to right now. There are a hundred thousands other viruses, worse than this coronavirus, out there waiting for us. This ain't shit.

True, but how many of those decades weren't easily described "sucky" for a huge amount of people? There is a difference between "oh no the world is ending" and "well, this sucks". And that offcourse depends on where you live and what your socioeconomic status is. Something not being unique doesn't mean it will be fine, in my opinion.

Look, I will probably be fine and all, but I personally know people still struggling with the aftermath of the 2008 financial crisis. And hell, there are entire nations still trying to recover from that, more than a decade later.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5671 on: October 29, 2020, 09:28:41 AM »
I guess I'm seeing three major issues not getting better anytime soon, with very real potential of getting worse for more than a couple of years.

COVID / Pandemic itself
Climate disasters

cram beat me, but other than the pandemic, these same problems were happening 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 etc.... years ago. There are a lot of problems out there in the world. There have always been divides. You're right to worry, but absolutely none of this is new or unique to right now. There are a hundred thousands other viruses, worse than this coronavirus, out there waiting for us. This ain't shit.

True, but how many of those decades weren't easily described "sucky" for a huge amount of people? There is a difference between "oh no the world is ending" and "well, this sucks". And that offcourse depends on where you live and what your socioeconomic status is. Something not being unique doesn't mean it will be fine, in my opinion.

Look, I will probably be fine and all, but I personally know people still struggling with the aftermath of the 2008 financial crisis. And hell, there are entire nations still trying to recover from that, more than a decade later.

Right. But this all just goes back to pessimistic vs optimistic viewpoints. There will never not be a shortage of things to make someone think the world is a dumpster fire or that it's ending or that it's just plain shitty. That doesn't mean it's TRUE, and that doesn't mean the next 10 years can be predicted because of one freak event. Now if the Big Kahuna asteroid hits the planet, you could make a solid prediction for the next 10 years. But we could assume the next 10 years are 'going to be shit' because of a potential 8 years of democrat rule. We could assume the next 10 years are 'going to be shit' because North Korea is still a thing. We could assume the next 10 years are 'going to be shit' because of potential conflicts with China. NONE OF THAT HAS TO DO WITH CORONAVIRUS.

There will ALWAYS be people in shitty situations, there will ALWAYS be people struggling to survive. That doesn't really have anything to do, however, with the point that you can't predict the next 10 years based on one event that really gives NO indicators as to what will happen in any part of the world throughout the decade. In less than a year we nearly have vaccines ready, we have already severely upped our treatment game, it's just silly to act like the sky is falling. Humanity has faced FAR WORSE than covid and not even that long ago.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5672 on: October 29, 2020, 09:58:42 AM »
Of course not, we have science, resources, and vaccines. During the Black Plague they had ignorance and superstition, and they held religious processions that only spread the plague even more, and killed black cats which were natural predators of the rats carrying the diseases.

Even though this time around we did EAT the animals carrying the disease, so live and learn I guess?

So why all the panic? Are we all just waiting for the year to end so we can get the yearly number to compare the data?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5673 on: October 29, 2020, 10:18:37 AM »

COVID / Pandemic itself
Climate disasters

Exactly, way more to prioritize once, they can get Covid under control. I don't know what they mean by "control", because it's a living thing.

Is it just something we're gonna have to adapt to, and develop protection from over time.

Reminds me of Futurama, when Fry reintroduces the common cold to New New York, as it has been "cured".  The only solution, is to hurl New New York into the sun (they were out of phiranas)....That is until Fry remembers entering a science project and the winners project was a common cold virus he grew, and got launched into space. The crew gets it and the professor makes a vaccine. Saving New New York...

Moral is...Even if we do find a "cure", something can come along and reintroduce the Virus.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5674 on: October 29, 2020, 12:24:16 PM »
For clarity... I did not mean to imply that the planet was going to be all Children of Men until December 31st, 2029.  And I didn't limit the reasons to be solely from teh COVID - though, my first two points were b/c of it.  And for the most part, I'm a glass-half-full kinda guy.  I just think there are going to be a lot of lingering and persistent problems stemming from COVID, added on top of the other problems that seem to be escalating at break neck speed... well, that's the reason my optimism isn't overflowing.

And yeah, I have watched The Social Dilemma.  Fascinatingly scary stuff.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #5675 on: October 29, 2020, 12:56:11 PM »
Exactly, way more to prioritize once, they can get Covid under control. I don't know what they mean by "control", because it's a living thing.

Is it just something we're gonna have to adapt to, and develop protection from over time.

Reminds me of Futurama, when Fry reintroduces the common cold to New New York, as it has been "cured".  The only solution, is to hurl New New York into the sun (they were out of phiranas)....That is until Fry remembers entering a science project and the winners project was a common cold virus he grew, and got launched into space. The crew gets it and the professor makes a vaccine. Saving New New York...

Moral is...Even if we do find a "cure", something can come along and reintroduce the Virus.

If only our current problems requires a solution that shoots a rocket that has a giant ball of garbage.  That would be interesting to endure.

Offline emtee

« Reply #5676 on: October 29, 2020, 01:01:44 PM »
This thread is going to be 1,000 pages long before the thing that would not die....dies.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5677 on: October 29, 2020, 02:13:35 PM »
I'm a glass-half-full kinda guy.

I think your account has been hacked.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5678 on: October 29, 2020, 02:55:01 PM »

If only our current problems requires a solution that shoots a rocket that has a giant ball of garbage.  That would be interesting to endure.

But, remember, If you're not a productive member of society and get a career chip installed, you'll be hurled by cannon...Into the Sun. (Now that made me question the bums in Futurama...Is it a career?  :rollin )

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5679 on: October 29, 2020, 05:00:17 PM »

COVID / Pandemic itself
Climate disasters

Right. But this all just goes back to pessimistic vs optimistic viewpoints. There will never not be a shortage of things to make someone think the world is a dumpster fire or that it's ending or that it's just plain shitty. That doesn't mean it's TRUE, and that doesn't mean the next 10 years can be predicted because of one freak event. Now if the Big Kahuna asteroid hits the planet, you could make a solid prediction for the next 10 years. But we could assume the next 10 years are 'going to be shit' because of a potential 8 years of democrat rule. We could assume the next 10 years are 'going to be shit' because North Korea is still a thing. We could assume the next 10 years are 'going to be shit' because of potential conflicts with China. NONE OF THAT HAS TO DO WITH CORONAVIRUS.

There will ALWAYS be people in shitty situations, there will ALWAYS be people struggling to survive. That doesn't really have anything to do, however, with the point that you can't predict the next 10 years based on one event that really gives NO indicators as to what will happen in any part of the world throughout the decade. In less than a year we nearly have vaccines ready, we have already severely upped our treatment game, it's just silly to act like the sky is falling. Humanity has faced FAR WORSE than covid and not even that long ago.

I don't really disagree in context of the entire world and all of it's disasters. In my day to day life I am definitely not being very pessimistic or anything, but I do think on average the coming decade or so will likely be shittier than the ones I experienced before it due to this crisis. It for sure is the worst crisis I have witnessed over here in my life thus far. Hence me using the "shitty" description. Also keep in mind this is in the context of living in a country with one of the highest average living standards of the world.

So no, I absolutely don't mean that day to day life will for sure be bad for everyone or something. I just feel there will be quite some additional challenges for a lot of my loved ones/friends that will linger for a longer time. Never have I known so many people without work and it is kind of scary to be honest. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5680 on: October 30, 2020, 07:23:28 AM »
Some of this is perception, though; we (humans) fear the unknown.   Think back to the late 60's, early 70's, and think how many songs reference or talk about the "shadow of the mushroom cloud".  It was before my time, but certainly my parents remember "air raid drills" where you heard the siren and you ducked under the desk.   Here in the northeast, there are numerous sites we call "Nike sites", Cold War era early-warning missile sites that are now parks, and softball fields and daycare centers.  Some of that seems paranoid and excessive now.

Every decade is, to some degree or another, better than the one that came before and worse than the one that came before.  There have been books written on the metamorphosis from the Summer Of Love in '67, to the dark days of the early 70's (Vietnam, the post-script of the killing of King and Bobby Kennedy, the breakup of the Beatles)...

I'm not arguing with anyone here, I'm just saying that some of it is impossible to really get a handle on while you're in the middle of it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5681 on: October 30, 2020, 09:09:45 AM »
Well, technology and civil rights have always gradually advanced, and probably 50-100 years from now people will look back at our era and think we were backward assholes for reasons that, to us, appear completely normal and rational. A random thought, the other day on Reddit someone asked "You suddenly wake up in 1950, what do you do?".... so many replies were along the lines of "I'm black, guess I'm screwed".  As bad are social tensions right now, slavery is history and there was a black president in the USA. Maybe the first openly gay USA president has already been born, who knows.

For all we know, people in 2100 will think "Those people of 100 years ago are lucky, they got a pandemic that, sure, was serious and deadly, but they got over it in less than three years. We have actually seen the ice caps melt away and now there are millions and millions of people running away from inhabitable zones and these mass migrations are bringing the whole world to the brink of another global war".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5682 on: October 30, 2020, 09:22:23 AM »
A cousin in his late 60s died a week ago.  Hadn't taken the best care of himself over the years, and he was an anti-masker.  Cie la vie.

One of my twin nieces has C-19......for the second time!

She finally regained most of her endurance after two months, went back to work part time, and in less than two weeks.....

She does 'music therapy', so some of her 'clients' and situations could be considered higher risk.  We do wonder if she thought she was immune having had it before, and was a bit more care free in precautions taken.

Reading recent comments, when the 'Futurama' posts were made, I thought to myself along the lines of 'just think of the genius who would think of reducing your chances of contacting it by 600%, and it's not some potion or ray gun or odd ball diet, but wearing a simple mask, washing hands, and standing apart'. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5683 on: October 30, 2020, 10:22:32 AM »
Well, technology and civil rights have always gradually advanced, and probably 50-100 years from now people will look back at our era and think we were backward assholes for reasons that, to us, appear completely normal and rational. A random thought, the other day on Reddit someone asked "You suddenly wake up in 1950, what do you do?".... so many replies were along the lines of "I'm black, guess I'm screwed".  As bad are social tensions right now, slavery is history and there was a black president in the USA. Maybe the first openly gay USA president has already been born, who knows.

For all we know, people in 2100 will think "Those people of 100 years ago are lucky, they got a pandemic that, sure, was serious and deadly, but they got over it in less than three years. We have actually seen the ice caps melt away and now there are millions and millions of people running away from inhabitable zones and these mass migrations are bringing the whole world to the brink of another global war".

Honestly?   I am 100% being serious here, but I feel it's similar odds that someone will wake up in 2112 and be just as likely to say "wow, those fuckers in 2020, with the social media; how could they NOT see that was going to destroy their society?" as they will "wow, those fuckers in 2020, with the COVID; how could they NOT see that was going to destroy their society?"

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5684 on: October 30, 2020, 02:31:33 PM »

Honestly?   I am 100% being serious here, but I feel it's similar odds that someone will wake up in 2112 and be just as likely to say "wow, those fuckers in 2020, with the social media; how could they NOT see that was going to destroy their society?" as they will "wow, those fuckers in 2020, with the COVID; how could they NOT see that was going to destroy their society?"

We need someone to assume control.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5685 on: October 30, 2020, 03:13:04 PM »
ATTENTION ALL PLANETS OF THE SOLAR FEDERATION!!!

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5686 on: October 30, 2020, 06:46:41 PM »
My aunt's funeral was today.  She died of non-COVID reasons last weekend, but it was the first time the majority of my extended family was in the same place for a very long time.  The church required masks, and everyone wore one, even outside when in close quarters.  The church also had hand sanitizer up the wazoo, and we were all given some before taking communion.  We were also  required to sign in for potential contract tracing purposes.  There was plenty of room in the church for those that did not want to sit close to anyone.  I was really impressed by how the church handled things.

My cousin from Wisconsin was exposed earlier this week and has tested negative, but is still supposed to be "in quarantine."  He bowed out of being a pallbearer and remained socially distant, which was nice.  I was pallbearer along with my dad and brother, and three other extended family members.  I hugged my mom and one or two cousins, but that's all.  It was strange to be around everyone and not be as close as you normally would be. 

It was good to see some family members that I rarely see and the "normal" activity was a nice change of pace, despite the COVID requirements and the sad reason for having to be there. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5687 on: October 30, 2020, 06:51:22 PM »
My aunt's funeral was today. 

Sorry to hear that, Grap.

A cousin in his late 60s died a week ago.  Hadn't taken the best care of himself over the years, and he was an anti-masker.  Cie la vie.

One of my twin nieces has C-19......for the second time!

She finally regained most of her endurance after two months, went back to work part time, and in less than two weeks.....

Damn, Joe! WTF??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5688 on: October 30, 2020, 07:18:16 PM »
Grapper, sounds like everyone, from the church to the guests, handled everything with grace and reason. If only the country could take a lesson....
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5689 on: November 02, 2020, 01:45:48 PM »
We'll be locked down again here in the states within...60 days at the outside.  No way they can just let this thing run wild all winter, we'll have half a million people dead by spring.

Restaurants, gyms, hair and nail salons, etc..all going to be closing down again in the US.  It's not a matter of "if" but more a matter of "when"

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #5690 on: November 02, 2020, 02:06:15 PM »
The spike in our county is out of sight! Our CIO says work from home where possible and masks are required if you leave your cube or office. We had our first death in IT. People are just not taking it seriously and I think it's from opening up the schools.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5691 on: November 02, 2020, 02:09:38 PM »
The spike in our county is out of sight! Our CIO says work from home where possible and masks are required if you leave your cube or office. We had our first death in IT. People are just not taking it seriously and I think it's from opening up the schools.

There's plenty of blame to lay on the adults as well. My FB and IG feeds this past weekend were filled with fully grown adults (many 40+) who just had to hit the bars and breweries dressed up in costumes for Halloween. I've seen pictures from bars that you would have thought were from Halloween last year given the lack of masks and how shoulder-to-shoulder everyone was. It's kind of infuriating.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5692 on: November 02, 2020, 02:27:36 PM »

I shared an article here before and here it is again, it's the only thing I've seen showing data on school openings and it suggests that it is NOT the reason for spreading of covid.  https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/10/schools-arent-superspreaders/616669/

I think that most of the places that are open, are only open because they can follow guidelines and when the guidelines are followed, the spread is greatly slowed down.  That's my opinion.  It seems most spread are from people indoors who live together (and therefor, don't social distance).  But obviously it only takes one person to not follow guidelines and bring the disease home to spread. 

We'll be locked down again here in the states within...60 days at the outside.  No way they can just let this thing run wild all winter, we'll have half a million people dead by spring.

Restaurants, gyms, hair and nail salons, etc..all going to be closing down again in the US.  It's not a matter of "if" but more a matter of "when"

I don't see it happening unless the hospitalizations are reaching a breaking point again.  If they do, we'll be shut down for sure, but I'm not seeing the data personally that shows hospitals across the US reaching that point to require a shutdown.  It seems most cases lead to people just staying home to recover.  My little sister, husband, and children all got COVID from the step son getting it from the step father and then brought it into my sisters home.  The child had a fever for 10 days, everyone else had more mild symptoms, and they've all tested negative as of last week. 

Of course, with a potential change in leadership, we could also see a different approach in 2021.  Who knows really.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5693 on: November 02, 2020, 02:47:40 PM »
I don't see it happening unless the hospitalizations are reaching a breaking point again.  If they do, we'll be shut down for sure, but I'm not seeing the data personally that shows hospitals across the US reaching that point to require a shutdown.  It seems most cases lead to people just staying home to recover.  My little sister, husband, and children all got COVID from the step son getting it from the step father and then brought it into my sisters home.  The child had a fever for 10 days, everyone else had more mild symptoms, and they've all tested negative as of last week. 

This. The 'shut down' was never intended for people not to contract covid-19.....it was to try and limit the infections so the hospitals weren't over run. I know 9 people who've had it in the past few weeks and it was just as Marc mentioned.....stay quarantined....recover and then your back on your way. The 220K+ deaths from this are horrible and I truly feel for those families but in large those deaths were all covid mixed with other health complications. It's a RARE instance that it's covid and only covid that's killing you. The vulnerable would still need to protect themselves and those who know they're going to come in contact with that subset of the population have a responsibility as well....but shutting down the country and economy again is the wrong answer.

A mask mandate for everyone.....stern social distancing precautions and a focus on hygiene would do the trick. An outright shut down like we saw before just isn't necessary. Perhaps Biden can relay the importance of the masks and precautions better than trump and 'lead' us to just take the basic measures which most projections show would do the trick in slowing the spread to a very low rate.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5694 on: November 02, 2020, 03:25:39 PM »
I agree, a nationwide shutdown (anywhere - US, Canada, Europe...) only addresses the physical distancing part of the equation.  Better contact tracing is necessary.  This thing is spreading in the Northern Hemisphere because we're indoors more.  Mask up, mother-fuckers!!  Don't fucking socialize like it's 1999!!  We had a politician in my region go to a family reunion at an indoor banquet hall, and the ass-clown posted pictures on FB.  40+ people posing for a group photo, huddled together and not a single mask.  What the fuck are people not getting.  Sure, hospital treatments are getting better, but case counts are thru the roof.  It's only a matter of math and time before the deaths follow.

It's going to take human actions to limit the spread of this.  Reminder everyone... the virus doesn't travel on it's own.  We're the ones that fucking move it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5695 on: November 02, 2020, 03:33:10 PM »
I agree, a nationwide shutdown (anywhere - US, Canada, Europe...) only addresses the physical distancing part of the equation.  Better contact tracing is necessary. 

Well, but the two things are correlated - everybody's on lockdown, cases go down, hospitals can breathe (as gmillerdrake pointed out) AND you can do contact tracing which is impossible with 20K cases every day. With the number of infections low, you can trace everything.

Insight is.... well, 2020, but I think that this summer the virus should have been killed. I know, people needed to get out, the economy needed to start again and so the tourism industry, but maybe it would have been better to completely sacrifice this summer with closed borders everywhere, and hunting down every single infection until the number was brought down to 0.

I've read an interview of an italian man working in Melbourne, he said that the governor promised the end of the lockdown with 0 cases, and when there was 5 cases in a town of 5 millions people, he still wouldn't lift the lockdown. He lifted it when they finally reached zero.

Of course this is a case by case scenario, but setting aside the most difficult thing of it all - the right balance between safety and people making a living - as I said I trully wish we had sacrificed the entire summer with no holidays and no trips (It seems that a new strain of the virus originated in Spain and was brought all around Europe thanks to the holidays) just to get rid of it once and for all.

A mask mandate for everyone.....stern social distancing precautions and a focus on hygiene would do the trick. An outright shut down like we saw before just isn't necessary. Perhaps Biden can relay the importance of the masks and precautions better than trump and 'lead' us to just take the basic measures which most projections show would do the trick in slowing the spread to a very low rate.

To understand the equation "Respiratory disease > it comes from the mouth > cover your mouth" you don't need a good president. You need two goddamn working braincells.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 03:41:13 PM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5696 on: November 02, 2020, 03:43:39 PM »
if this thing didn't get under control when everyone was pissing themselves and the weather was getting warm, it sure is not getting under control during flu season and cold weather

RIP bars/restaurants/concert venues/basically all live entertainment
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5697 on: November 02, 2020, 04:05:21 PM »
So here's a fun quandry:  My daughter is currently away at college and will be coming home for Thanksgiving.  Unlike many families that are opting to not get together for the holidays at all, we don't really have much choice because the college is closing down from two days before Thanksgiving until after New Year's.  The rest of the semester will be remote only.  The idea is that they don't want everyone going home and then bringing all the germs back with them.  Which is fucking stupid because if that's the idea, then they shouldn't have opened in the fall in the first place.  But this is what we have.

She was home for a while in the spring, which made me nervous but we got through it, and she went back for the summer.  But now that the numbers are up, higher than ever before, this is downright scary.

Our house is not huge.  It's not like I can close off a wing of the house and confine her to it for 10 days or 14 days or whatever it's supposed to be.  I'm trying to figure out the logistics of even trying to reduce exposure (because every little bit helps, right?) while she's living in the same house.  Make her stay in her room as much as possible?  Buy a few of those heavy-duty air purifiers and run them 24/7?

I'm open to suggestions.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5698 on: November 02, 2020, 05:28:00 PM »
Just read an article a bit ago (and of course, can't find it now) that was suggesting even wearing a mask in your own home if someone might have been exposed.  Sounds shitty, but there's a suggestion for you or maybe she can just get a test?  Put your mind at ease.

For me, it looks like I'll be spending Thanksgiving alone.  My parents want me to come to Florida but I don't think so.  My sister will be driving down with my nieces after Thanksgiving and staying at my parents for awhile as my older sister and her husband are still down there.  Which means almost all of my family will be in Florida for Christmas and they want me to fly down.  I'm contemplating it.  My friends keep sharing articles with me showing that flying is fairly safe these days.  I've just been really good with following guidelines.  I want concerts back, I want to do my part to get us all there sooner, but I do not want to spend Christmas alone as well.  I told them to wait and see after the election, who knows what's going to happen in this country.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5699 on: November 02, 2020, 05:35:38 PM »
If I'm wrong, it's on me, because I was cooking at the time, but I'm pretty sure my governor recommended masks at home for the Thanksgiving meal, except while eating and drinking.   That's whack.   If you're not wearing a mask at Walmart, what are the odds you're wearing one in your living room? 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5700 on: November 02, 2020, 06:00:12 PM »
So here's a fun quandry:  My daughter is currently away at college and will be coming home for Thanksgiving.  Unlike many families that are opting to not get together for the holidays at all, we don't really have much choice because the college is closing down from two days before Thanksgiving until after New Year's.  The rest of the semester will be remote only.  The idea is that they don't want everyone going home and then bringing all the germs back with them.  Which is fucking stupid because if that's the idea, then they shouldn't have opened in the fall in the first place.  But this is what we have.

She was home for a while in the spring, which made me nervous but we got through it, and she went back for the summer.  But now that the numbers are up, higher than ever before, this is downright scary.

Our house is not huge.  It's not like I can close off a wing of the house and confine her to it for 10 days or 14 days or whatever it's supposed to be.  I'm trying to figure out the logistics of even trying to reduce exposure (because every little bit helps, right?) while she's living in the same house.  Make her stay in her room as much as possible?  Buy a few of those heavy-duty air purifiers and run them 24/7?

I'm open to suggestions.

Can you take her for a test? Just to clear everyone's minds?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5701 on: November 02, 2020, 06:08:10 PM »
Orbert, I would address with her what her two weeks prior to coming home would look like. Who will she be interacting with, will they be wearing masks... basically stuff I consider prior to associating with anyone. My dad is retired and doesn't go anywhere other than for groceries and home improvement stores, and always wears a mask. My mom works at an ob/gyn clinic and they are fully decked out in PPE. Otherwise they do not go anywhere or see anyone, other than us, so I am not thinking twice about driving to their house for Thanksgiving. 

Insight is.... well, 2020, but I think that this summer the virus should have been killed. I know, people needed to get out, the economy needed to start again and so the tourism industry, but maybe it would have been better to completely sacrifice this summer with closed borders everywhere, and hunting down every single infection until the number was brought down to 0.

I don't remotely understand how viruses and such work, but wouldn't that require every single person on the planet not leaving their homes, meaning no manufacturing, no farming, no food distribution, no mail... literally everyone never crossing their threshold for a period of several weeks? There is no other way this virus could be" killed."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5702 on: November 02, 2020, 06:17:27 PM »
Orbert, I would address with her what her two weeks prior to coming home would look like. Who will she be interacting with, will they be wearing masks... basically stuff I consider prior to associating with anyone.

Yeah that's a good idea. Remind her that whatever she has, she's bringing home.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5703 on: November 02, 2020, 06:24:31 PM »
Both Sweden and the UK are rapidly increasing in rates. I'm increasingly pessimistic about being able to travel home for Christmas this year (even if I could, my parents are late 60s, I'm not going to subject them to the increased risk of catching it by travelling through an airport at christmas). Will be my first Christmas alone if it turns out that way...
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5704 on: November 02, 2020, 08:52:16 PM »
Orbert, I would address with her what her two weeks prior to coming home would look like. Who will she be interacting with, will they be wearing masks... basically stuff I consider prior to associating with anyone.

Yeah that's a good idea. Remind her that whatever she has, she's bringing home.

I like that.  She can at least minimize her chances of exposure prior to coming home, which in turn minimizes her chances of bringing anything home with her.  And my employer is offerring free testing for employees and family members.  I still have to read up on what's required, but here's the catch.  She's flying in from a state which our state has on its "risk list" or whatever you call it.  If she flies in, she's supposed to self-quarrantine at home for 14 days.  Does that mean she's not supposed to leave the house even for testing?

And if we take her for a test, I'm sure there's at least a basic questionnaire and it will come out that she just flew in from Virginia, and didn't stay home for 14 days.  What does that mean?  Does she go to jail?  Get a fine?  Because it doesn't make any sense to me to wait 14 days to take the test.  By then, we'll know.