Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 429696 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #5320 on: September 15, 2020, 05:10:20 PM »
What I'm saying is that the mask actually covers your face. Does it stop everything? No. The face shield has a gigantic open area for any particles to sweep up into.

You aren't entirely wrong, but generally speaking, gravity eventually pulls things down.  I'm not trying to be facetious, but as I said earlier, the face shield is better than nothing - for both the wearer, and for others around.  Respiratory droplets exhaled by the wearer won't get as far as they would without it; most droplets from others will slam right into the shield like Wiley Coyote into the side of a mountain.

Yes, there's a risk some will slip past the goalie, but in that analogy, it's far easier to score into an empty net, than with someone (thing) blocking your way.

And then you touch those germs on that gigantic windshield in front of you. A genius device!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #5321 on: September 15, 2020, 08:02:17 PM »
What I'm saying is that the mask actually covers your face. Does it stop everything? No. The face shield has a gigantic open area for any particles to sweep up into.

You aren't entirely wrong, but generally speaking, gravity eventually pulls things down.  I'm not trying to be facetious, but as I said earlier, the face shield is better than nothing - for both the wearer, and for others around.  Respiratory droplets exhaled by the wearer won't get as far as they would without it; most droplets from others will slam right into the shield like Wiley Coyote into the side of a mountain.

Yes, there's a risk some will slip past the goalie, but in that analogy, it's far easier to score into an empty net, than with someone (thing) blocking your way.

And then you touch those germs on that gigantic windshield in front of you. A genius device!

but that's the same for the facemask, you're not supposed to touch it but that mask discipline is hard and I never do it perfectly either.

My understanding is that for facemasks to be as effective as can be, you're supposed to wash your hands before AND after putting it on at home before you leave.  Leave it on and never touch it while you're out and about and then wash your hands when you remove it, probably before and after as well.   If it's a reusuable cloth mask I bet you should wash it after every use too.

I never do any of that, I leave it in my car, put in on before going in somewhere and take it off when I get back in.   I don't switch them out and wash them very often.   I suppose in the end it's still better than not wearing it because if I'm infected and I don't know it then I'm not spreading as far as I would if I didn't have it on.

edit: to be clear I'm not saying you're not aware of this, I'm just musing on the subject.  :tup

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5322 on: September 15, 2020, 08:05:53 PM »
I had a vendor come in to work on a server yesterday, lets just say a large and older dude.  Guy seemed to not be able to wear his mask or wear it properly.  Either his nose was out or it was just off.  Had to tell him to put it on fully.  So ridiculous that you need to tell someone this when they come into your place of work and there's signs EVERYWHERE.  His excuse was he can't breathe and I literally heard him huffing and puffing likely becasue he is very overweight so just walking was enough to make him struggle breathing.  I'd say, it's better to just wear the face shield at that point.  But also, maybe, just maybe, it's time to look in the mirror and lose a few pounds so you can breathe fine even without a mask?  I really think this is why the US numbers are so high, we are such an unhealthy group of people here and that includes myself but at least I'm working on it.

The US health is really really bad. There are people though that are finally realizing what it is that is causing their health deficiency and are finding out all they needed was a simple change of their diets.

I read an interesting article about the start of processed foods and why they began making them in the first place. I can't find it now but this is a nice simple list that indicates when our food became unhealthy.

https://modernpioneermom.com/2012/07/05/processed-foods-history-1910s-to-1950s/

But, It would be wise to be considering changing your health if you're as bad as that guy.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline PetFish

« Reply #5323 on: September 15, 2020, 11:11:21 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5324 on: September 16, 2020, 03:32:59 AM »
I had a vendor come in to work on a server yesterday, lets just say a large and older dude.  Guy seemed to not be able to wear his mask or wear it properly.  Either his nose was out or it was just off.  Had to tell him to put it on fully.  So ridiculous that you need to tell someone this when they come into your place of work and there's signs EVERYWHERE.  His excuse was he can't breathe and I literally heard him huffing and puffing likely becasue he is very overweight so just walking was enough to make him struggle breathing.  I'd say, it's better to just wear the face shield at that point.  But also, maybe, just maybe, it's time to look in the mirror and lose a few pounds so you can breathe fine even without a mask?  I really think this is why the US numbers are so high, we are such an unhealthy group of people here and that includes myself but at least I'm working on it.

The reality is, the 'can't breathe' is just a mental thing.  I've seen far too many examples (anecdotal, but  I'm sure there are studies on this) that a mask doesn't actually impact the ability to bring oxygen into the body.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5325 on: September 16, 2020, 03:42:32 AM »
It surely is mildly annoying, especially to me since I wear glasses and they always go "foggy", but I don't see the need to be a huge crybaby about it given what's at stake. I suck it up and wear it, I can live with the mild annoyance of foggy glasses if that means I don't potentially infect someone who infects his elder grandma and kills her.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #5326 on: September 16, 2020, 04:06:03 AM »

And no one touches their masks?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5327 on: September 16, 2020, 05:51:49 AM »
Nope. Never. Clearly that is the takeaway from that post. Rolleyes.gif
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5328 on: September 16, 2020, 05:54:18 AM »
So it sounds like the best protection is a mask under the face shield. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5329 on: September 16, 2020, 06:34:23 AM »
With all the stress on masks, I saw virtually no attention placed on something equally important: STAYING FAR WAY.

Ok, this is not always possible, it's needless to say it. Call me immensely precautious to the point of paranoia, but I've spent two weeks in holiday, first in the mountains and then at the sea, and I'll be damned if I found someone, ANYBODY who would steer clear of me when I was approaching, I was always, ALWAYS the one taking the extra two steps on the side or stopping before a bottleneck passage to not be close to people.

As I said, I might be too much on the safe side of things, and it's not that 1.5 seconds nearby someone who isn't talking will give you the virus, but better safe than sorry. I make a point to never come close to anyone and I'll be damned if people care for it. I mean, I was standing in a SQUARE, and a couple passed very near me!!! you have the whole square for yourself, why the hell do you come so close to me?

Again, I know I might be exagerating in avoiding EVERYONE, ALL THE TIME, and I know just being two seconds nearby someone who isn't even talking isn't gonna kill you, but really, people, they asked you two things, wear a mask and avoid people if possible, maybe don't turn on the mysanthropy mode up to 11 but at the very least be mindful of passing very close to someone....?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #5330 on: September 16, 2020, 07:14:21 AM »
With all the stress on masks, I saw virtually no attention placed on something equally important: STAYING FAR WAY.

Ok, this is not always possible, it's needless to say it. Call me immensely precautious to the point of paranoia, but I've spent two weeks in holiday, first in the mountains and then at the sea, and I'll be damned if I found someone, ANYBODY who would steer clear of me when I was approaching, I was always, ALWAYS the one taking the extra two steps on the side or stopping before a bottleneck passage to not be close to people.

As I said, I might be too much on the safe side of things, and it's not that 1.5 seconds nearby someone who isn't talking will give you the virus, but better safe than sorry. I make a point to never come close to anyone and I'll be damned if people care for it. I mean, I was standing in a SQUARE, and a couple passed very near me!!! you have the whole square for yourself, why the hell do you come so close to me?

Again, I know I might be exagerating in avoiding EVERYONE, ALL THE TIME, and I know just being two seconds nearby someone who isn't even talking isn't gonna kill you, but really, people, they asked you two things, wear a mask and avoid people if possible, maybe don't turn on the mysanthropy mode up to 11 but at the very least be mindful of passing very close to someone....?

Aw man, I was having fun.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #5331 on: September 16, 2020, 07:17:34 AM »

The US health is really really bad. There are people though that are finally realizing what it is that is causing their health deficiency and are finding out all they needed was a simple change of their diets.

I read an interesting article about the start of processed foods and why they began making them in the first place. I can't find it now but this is a nice simple list that indicates when our food became unhealthy.

https://modernpioneermom.com/2012/07/05/processed-foods-history-1910s-to-1950s/

But, It would be wise to be considering changing your health if you're as bad as that guy.

You are exactly correct! This is why "clean" eating has become so popular. It's understanding what goes in the processed food you are buying or even the plastic tub you heat your food up and eat from the same plastic tub.

IMO one of the biggest crimes of the last century when the sugar industry paid off scientists to blame fat for all that is evil. It's too bad that the pandemic hit because it makes it a little more difficult to eat clean. https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/13/493739074/50-years-ago-sugar-industry-quietly-paid-scientists-to-point-blame-at-fat

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5332 on: September 16, 2020, 07:17:58 AM »
I, for one, wear my mask on my fly hole while I return the carts to corral 6 feet apart from one another.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5333 on: September 16, 2020, 07:22:21 AM »
you won the internets   :rollin
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5334 on: September 16, 2020, 07:36:52 AM »
I, for one, wear my mask on my fly hole while I return the carts to corral 6 feet apart from one another.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5335 on: September 16, 2020, 07:38:00 AM »
This may be better in another thread or in the P/R section, but the COVID-19 event has been a fascinating look at human psychology, and has really bolstered a lot of my ideas about society and the way our country (I can only speak of the U.S. here, since for obvious reasons I haven't been overseas in quite a while).   

I've become fiercely bipartisan (or a-partisan, if you will).  I am increasingly convinced that both "sides" in America are virtually interchangeable in terms of the human dynamics, we're just pointed in the opposite direction.  There is fierce advocacy to the points we agree with, and derision and even hate for those we don't.   Neither the right nor the left has any monopoly on these feelings, good or bad. 

One of the more universal truths I've started to see is how often it's the OTHER guy that has to adapt, adjust, and modify, but we seem to forget that FOR THEM, WE'RE the other guy.   I get it, the obvious answer is "but I'm right.   I have science/morals/common sense/an election win on my side!"; but I think we fail account for the ability of the other side, on almost any issue, to rationalize that the same or similar way.   We ALL, to a degree (and based on our prioritization of issues), presumably believe we're right to an extent.

I'm even more adamant about something I've said for years:  tend your own garden.  Make sure YOUR mask is solid, make sure YOU are distanced, and be ready willing and able to remove yourself from situations where YOUR space is encroached.  I remember not long ago that "you're fat!" was an epithet, and even when tied to things like exploding healthcare costs (CLEARLY a public issue) it was frowned on, but now that we're talking about masks, "you're fat!" is, what, science?   Truth?  Why wasn't it truth before when it was used AGAINST the platform you espoused?   

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being critical of any one person here, or any particular position.  For all I know, everyone here was saying "you're fat!" back when the ACA was being debated.   It's only an example.   (I happen to agree with those that say "too bad, so sad" to those that claim to not be able to wear a mask; if that's the case, remove yourself from the situation, don't make the entire group have to pay or compromise for your individuality.)   But I think it's probably a helpful exercise for all of us to sort of take a moment and ask how consistent we really are, and how much we're contributing to the dialogue or the dissension, and what does our position - and how we got there - really mean to the society as a whole, and the betterment of us as a group. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5336 on: September 16, 2020, 09:07:03 AM »
Well said Stads. I agree with much, but not all of it. One area I disagree is when the “other” side (for me) is basing decisions and actions that can (whether directly or indirectly) impact me on their own personal feelings, as opposed to facts.  Whether COVID, climate, economy, whatever. My stance is that decision making should be based on fact and evidence - particularly by those in positions of powers ... whose decisions have a great macro impact.

Offline emtee

« Reply #5337 on: September 16, 2020, 09:50:00 AM »
I would add to Stadlef's post...a couple more observations.

- We are amazingly adaptable beings.

- The overriding political/philosophical state of our country is: Opposition at any cost. Eventually this will be our downfall.

-Many people say we live in a post-truth era. In my view, this misses the mark. I'd say we have entered the multiple truth era, where, bolstered by technological manipulation of reality (deep fake videos for instance), dishonest and deceptive media, and a general uninformed populous, multiple people can observe a given incident, and every single one of them will observe their version of the truth. Unfortunately,  this exacerbates the opposition at all costs philosophy. Why concede or negotiate when you are 100% certain that your truth is the only truth?

p.s., sorry if this should be in the P/R area. It's just that Covid brought much of this to light.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5338 on: September 16, 2020, 10:14:56 AM »

Are you singing Friday while doing it?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5339 on: September 16, 2020, 11:19:42 AM »

Are you singing Friday while doing it?

I do.  But only on Tuesdays.  I am counterculture like that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5340 on: September 16, 2020, 11:49:46 AM »
I got hired for our version of the CDC for a function (part-time, voluntary) that basically amounts to interviewing corona patients and logging their data (for research/statistics), nationwide. I was approached/selected due to my background (work experience, degree) and decided to do it. Obviously I won't post anything about my activities, because everything I do will be strictly confidential and data will only be used in professional/official capacity. Not a career change or anything, it is in addition to my actual daytime job, about 8 hours a week for only three months. I soon will start the training procedure. I usually do voluntary work for the Red Cross, but because there are no events in my area for the rest of the year, I decided to dedicate my time to something else. That and some of my hobbies are also non-existent now, giving me a lot of extra free time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5341 on: September 16, 2020, 11:58:28 AM »
Well said Stads. I agree with much, but not all of it. One area I disagree is when the “other” side (for me) is basing decisions and actions that can (whether directly or indirectly) impact me on their own personal feelings, as opposed to facts.  Whether COVID, climate, economy, whatever. My stance is that decision making should be based on fact and evidence - particularly by those in positions of powers ... whose decisions have a great macro impact.

But bear with:  there's no monopoly on that.  For EVERY issue that a Liberal/Democrat can say "but...  they're basing their decisions on their own personal feelings, as opposed to facts!", I can show you an issue where a Conservative/Republican can say the exact same thing.  And the point is, BOTH sides in BOTH cases can rationalize their side.  So who decides?  There's no Ed Hocule to come in and throw a flag.  It all comes down to personal prioritization of issues.   I took a lot from that discussion with Shadow in the other thread over the last couple days.  We have been civil - and will be; I like the guy and would consider him at least a budding friend - but no mistake we disagree PROFOUNDLY on some key issues.   In contemplating our differences though, it really does boil down to "what do you prioritize?"   Neither one of us wants people to die unnecessarily (or at all).  Neither one of us wants people to be poor, to suffer, or to expend undue resources over issues - like skin color - that simply have zero impact on the variables in the equation.  But we prioritize certain things differently when two (or more) concepts conflict or collide.  I would offer that in the case where YOUR prioritization is on, I don't know, the science of aerosol transition, perhaps their prioritization is somewhere else.  How do we address that in a way that is inclusive, is civil, and welcomes compromise?  Because "you deplorable!/you libtard!" isn't working. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5342 on: September 16, 2020, 12:17:52 PM »
I got hired for our version of the CDC for a function (part-time, voluntary) that basically amounts to interviewing corona patients and logging their data (for research/statistics), nationwide. I was approached/selected due to my background (work experience, degree) and decided to do it. Obviously I won't post anything about my activities, because everything I do will be strictly confidential and data will only be used in professional/official capacity. Not a career change or anything, it is in addition to my actual daytime job, about 8 hours a week for only three months. I soon will start the training procedure. I usually do voluntary work for the Red Cross, but because there are no events in my area for the rest of the year, I decided to dedicate my time to something else. That and some of my hobbies are also non-existent now, giving me a lot of extra free time.

That's great man  :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5343 on: September 16, 2020, 12:47:56 PM »

But bear with:  there's no monopoly on that.  For EVERY issue that a Liberal/Democrat can say "but...  they're basing their decisions on their own personal feelings, as opposed to facts!", I can show you an issue where a Conservative/Republican can say the exact same thing.  And the point is, BOTH sides in BOTH cases can rationalize their side.  So who decides?  There's no Ed Hocule to come in and throw a flag.  It all comes down to personal prioritization of issues.   I took a lot from that discussion with Shadow in the other thread over the last couple days.  We have been civil - and will be; I like the guy and would consider him at least a budding friend - but no mistake we disagree PROFOUNDLY on some key issues.   In contemplating our differences though, it really does boil down to "what do you prioritize?"   Neither one of us wants people to die unnecessarily (or at all).  Neither one of us wants people to be poor, to suffer, or to expend undue resources over issues - like skin color - that simply have zero impact on the variables in the equation.  But we prioritize certain things differently when two (or more) concepts conflict or collide.  I would offer that in the case where YOUR prioritization is on, I don't know, the science of aerosol transition, perhaps their prioritization is somewhere else.  How do we address that in a way that is inclusive, is civil, and welcomes compromise?  Because "you deplorable!/you libtard!" isn't working.

Sounds like hate speech directed to bald people.  I ought to report you!  :lol

But yeah, you make completely legitimate points.  Matters of health and livelihood - both at a macro (the planet) and micro level (jingle.family) and several points in between - tend to get my prioritization of fact based decisions/actions.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #5344 on: September 16, 2020, 02:27:24 PM »
I cannot express how little I care about anything that's not getting concerts back.

Bars and restaurants open again? Whatever. I can get a haircut again? Thanks, I've been doing that at home just fine. I can shop clothes/cosmetics/other stuff in store? Meh. Some in-person classes/hobbies open again? I don't really do that. Gyms open? Big merp.

What kills me are the people going, bleep bloop, guess this is our new normal, everything's gone back to as normal as it can be, from now on we'll just live like this forever, minding the curve, working from home and studying online when it starts rising again and reopening when it doesn't. Excuse me, isn't there one large aspect of human living you're forgetting????

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5345 on: September 16, 2020, 02:52:06 PM »
I cannot express how little I care about anything that's not getting concerts back.

Bars and restaurants open again? Whatever. I can get a haircut again? Thanks, I've been doing that at home just fine. I can shop clothes/cosmetics/other stuff in store? Meh. Some in-person classes/hobbies open again? I don't really do that. Gyms open? Big merp.

What kills me are the people going, bleep bloop, guess this is our new normal, everything's gone back to as normal as it can be, from now on we'll just live like this forever, minding the curve, working from home and studying online when it starts rising again and reopening when it doesn't. Excuse me, isn't there one large aspect of human living you're forgetting????

It's really easy to switch this around on you though and say, "aren't there OTHER aspects of human living (that aren't concerts) you're forgetting?" Like, I want to get back to the gym, but meh. :/

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5346 on: September 16, 2020, 03:10:56 PM »

I really want to go back to concerts too, but honestly, the way the virus spreads... concerts will be the last thing to come back to normal.  It sucks big time, but its the reality. 

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5347 on: September 16, 2020, 03:26:34 PM »

I kind of 'feel' how you're describing, but I'm not thinking that way. Looking back at the past few generations, in the US and abroad, huge groups of people had to put life completely on hold for one reason or another and completely shut down. This was either because of great depressions, famines, dust bowls, world wars, other wars, scares about nuclear wars, etc.. Those people had it really fucking bad, and assuming they didn't die before it was over, they eventually got to do the stuff that got put on hold again. At least we still have internet and can go to grocery stores with 98% of their usual inventory. Hospitals are still supplied to handle practically everything. My garbage still gets picked up on time and water is making it to the tap. Amateur pornography has undergone a rapid evolution (seriously, it's kind of fascinating). Concerts will be back. As will dining in at restaurants, and gyrating oneself on strangers at a club. I guess I've just come to terms with this is being my life's (hopefully only) "shut down" period. It's pretty okay all things considered, especially when comparing it to something like a child in Poland in 1939, or any European during the Black Death. I suppose one could argue the Black Death was as bad as it was because they probably didn't shut down or wear masks, or wash their hands most likely. But now I'm rambling..

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5348 on: September 16, 2020, 03:30:30 PM »
You are looking at the positives.  I can attest from my own experience in these times, it's difficult to look at the positives.  But as you point out, they are there and maybe we should think of the glass half full, not half empty.... but I have to admit for myself, it's been difficult.  I have my health and my job, I really shouldn't be so depressed with the way things are, but I am.  Personally, I think I'd feel significantly better if I went to a concert as that was a way for me to really kind of let loose and gain positive vibes.  I actually think I'm going to try and hit up a drive in show in a couple weeks.  I just put in time for a 6 day vacation so I'm really hoping some time away and a concert will help.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5349 on: September 16, 2020, 04:28:09 PM »
I'm watching less news.  Seems to be helping quite a bit.  Got together with a small group of friends (8 total) for dinner and drinks over the weekend.  That was a blast.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5350 on: September 16, 2020, 08:45:12 PM »
I'm watching less news. 

The news on all fronts has been just brutal.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5351 on: September 17, 2020, 01:01:23 AM »
restaurants, and gyrating oneself on strangers at a club. I guess I've just come to terms with this is being my life's (hopefully only) "shut down" period. It's pretty okay all things considered, especially when comparing it to something like a child in Poland in 1939, or any European during the Black Death. I suppose one could argue the Black Death was as bad as it was because they probably didn't shut down or wear masks, or wash their hands most likely. But now I'm rambling..

I would agree with this, this year is a major shitstorm but I'd daresay that if there has to be a global pandemic, it's "nice" that it happens in a time where scientific knowledge and research is at the top of its game (one could always argue that, 100 or 200 years from now, these were primitive times because we didn't even find the cure for cancer however), and if you really have to be locked down, what better time than an era with internet, and the world's knowledge and entertainment at your tips?

Of course this varies from person to person - I'm one of the lucky ones, I work from home. Hell, I even save the subway monthly fare, so far I did not spend 250 euros on that. I know many people lost their job or couldn't do it and not get paid and that of course sucks immensely, it's just that on broad terms, aside from "never ever", this is the "best" - or least worst - time for a pandemic to happen.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #5352 on: September 17, 2020, 08:06:25 AM »
Like, I want to get back to the gym, but meh. :/
I'm not forgetting anything, the gym is open where I live. That one was easy to get back. I imagine group fitness has a looooooong way to go though.

I guess I've just come to terms with this is being my life's (hopefully only) "shut down" period.
This is my second one, as I was born straight into a state of non-normalcy because we had this kind of crap. It kind of kills me to not be able to be optimistic but I've learned that periods where life is objectively shit and there's absolutely no way out can stretch for years and years and years. There doesn't have to be a logical end. On top of this we could have another thing. And another thing. And things may never go back to normal.

Ugh, sorry. Now that I typed this out I do feel more normal.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5353 on: September 17, 2020, 10:26:25 AM »
This is my second one, as I was born straight into a state of non-normalcy because we had this kind of crap. It kind of kills me to not be able to be optimistic but I've learned that periods where life is objectively shit and there's absolutely no way out can stretch for years and years and years. There doesn't have to be a logical end. On top of this we could have another thing. And another thing. And things may never go back to normal.

Yep. Was born in 90s right after Soviet Union dissolved. My childhood was utter shit as we were at the edge of poverty, although probably still not as bad as yours. The situation hasn't improved until the 2000s.

I really hope all this goes away with an official vaccine available next year. In any case however, with my country the next thing might've already happened. With no intention of steering this into P/R discussion, considering the recent situation involving Navalny's poisoning and another round of sanctions coming from European Union against Russia I expect our currency to plummet down even more and the prices on everything to increase even further. Along with Covid it's honestly getting a little bit too much.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline emtee

« Reply #5354 on: September 17, 2020, 12:00:53 PM »
Got some uplifting news today. The company reinstated our merit increases AND will be giving us a bonus!

Nice little pat on the back for the six months of hell we have endured at this hospital. I'm grateful.