Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 433818 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1925 on: April 01, 2020, 08:54:14 AM »
ErHaO, I had the exact same symptoms, only a lot less 'extreme', so to speak. I don't ever really get ill from a regular cold, so I didn't really have any problems at all. My girlfriend's immune system is not as good and she was more ill. She also had the shortness of breath and loss of taste and smell; symptoms that are supposedly typical of this virus. Without being tested, she's pretty sure she's had the coronavirus, which would basically mean that I've had it as well. I was feeling more tired than usual and had had a cold, nothing too serious, then after a few days of feeling better I suddenly got this extreme headache. There's no way to know for sure, though it would be quite good to know if I've had it and that it didn't affect me a lot.

---

Regarding the situation in the Netherlands; I get the feeling our healthcare system is very different from that of other European countries (mainly countries like Italy & Spain), where the goal is to heal basically everybody as soon as possible. Our healthcare system, or maybe our society, is more focused on quality of living, rather than stretching out a life when there's barely any chance for recovery. We're also not prone to place everybody who enters a hospital on the Intensive Care immediately. From what I gathered - and this may be wrong -  is that in Italy, elderly people who already have a lower chance at survival, are put on the Intensive Care beds, essentially filling up places that now can not be used for younger folk, who then die as well. The death toll actually goes up if you try your best to save people with little chance, by not having the resources to aid those with a higher chance to survive. Sounds pretty terrible to type stuff like that out, but in these situations, I think the health care's goal should not be about saving everybody, because that's impossible - it should be about healing as many people as possible and, harsh as it sounds, this includes not using all your resources on people who are going to die anyway.

^ I don't know if that came across in the right way and I truly do not mean to offend anyone with it. I am not a healthcare worker (teacher here), but I have many friends that are. The situation in our hospitals right now is not nice, but the way our healthcare is organised - like I said, quality of life before prolongation - has actually made the situation more managable here as far as I can tell.

I have a friend who is a doctor and is currently being trained to be a backup for coronavirus cases when things get worse. He told me that they are putting a system in place called triage, in case things get out of control. They will evaluate cases and put them in one of four categories: Green, Yellow, Red, Black. Green is not serious, Yellow is non urgent but requires attention, Red needs urgent attention and Black has no chance. They will prioritize Red-Yellow-Green-Black. I understand this is how war hospitals work and while it does sound a bit harsh, I think it is the best way to save the biggest amount of people.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1926 on: April 01, 2020, 08:57:17 AM »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1927 on: April 01, 2020, 09:41:14 AM »
Well, the beer distributor my younger brother works for (I forgot his title, but he runs this area) is declaring bankruptcy on the 15th this month, so he will be out of a job.  Ugh.

that sucks. I seen articles that because of COVID, liquor sales have gone up nation wide.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1928 on: April 01, 2020, 10:04:21 AM »
Well, the beer distributor my younger brother works for (I forgot his title, but he runs this area) is declaring bankruptcy on the 15th this month, so he will be out of a job.  Ugh.

that sucks. I seen articles that because of COVID, liquor sales have gone up nation wide.

I saw a piece yesterday that they've gone up 40% here in the SF Bay Area.

Kev, does the distributor only serve restaurants and bars?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1929 on: April 01, 2020, 10:33:20 AM »

Kev, does the distributor only serve restaurants and bars?

No, but based on what he has told me before, I think they were struggling a little bit already, and this was the final nail in their coffin, from the looks of it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1930 on: April 01, 2020, 11:02:36 AM »
I live in a smaller town called Sequim...

No way, I knew you lived in the PNW somewhere, just didn't know where.

The city I'm in literally sent out a statement via email and Facebook telling people to mind their own business and stop calling 911 because people are leaving their homes.

WA has set up a website where you can report "violators," businesses who are open who shouldn't be, and some cities have sites where you can report people who are gathering it large groups.
Yep, I've lived in Sequim all my life. I was born in California but moved up here in 1972 when I was two months old. I grew up on a farm and never had the desire to move away. It's a very nice corner of the earth, beach to the north, mountians to the south.
 If life ever returns to normal and a band like DT ever returns to Seattle, we should meet up before the show. I've only met one person from DT forums so far and that was jammindude,  who is a awesome person!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1931 on: April 01, 2020, 11:03:32 AM »
That R.E.M. song keeps popping into my head.  :omg:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1932 on: April 01, 2020, 12:22:09 PM »
Shiny Happy People?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1933 on: April 01, 2020, 12:54:03 PM »
Shiny Happy People?

7 Chinese Bros?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1934 on: April 01, 2020, 12:59:18 PM »

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1935 on: April 01, 2020, 01:45:38 PM »
"It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" :neverusethis:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1936 on: April 01, 2020, 02:19:00 PM »
Welp.

GF and I have had some symptoms (hers worse than mine). Elevated temperature, some coughing. She's had some breathing issues. She went to go get screened.... Doctor won't test her, but said there is a chance, as we've been exposed (my GF's clients did a lot of traveling abroad before the lock down, plus we were still dealing with our bowling league up until 2 weeks ago.)

So now we are both on a 2 week quarantine.

Doesn't change too much. We've already been keeping our interactions with people to a minimum. But still...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1937 on: April 01, 2020, 02:52:22 PM »
Welp.

GF and I have had some symptoms (hers worse than mine). Elevated temperature, some coughing. She's had some breathing issues. She went to go get screened.... Doctor won't test her, but said there is a chance, as we've been exposed (my GF's clients did a lot of traveling abroad before the lock down, plus we were still dealing with our bowling league up until 2 weeks ago.)

Doesn't change too much. We've already been keeping our interactions with people to a minimum. But still...

Sorry to hear that Jay O.  Hope it turns out to be nothing.  I'm assuming you and GF live together?  Did the Doc say why he wouldn't do the test?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1938 on: April 01, 2020, 03:39:38 PM »
Sorry Jay, stay low and stay safe.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1939 on: April 01, 2020, 04:43:34 PM »
Welp.

Sorry to hear that Jay O.  Hope it turns out to be nothing.  I'm assuming you and GF live together?  Did the Doc say why he wouldn't do the test?

We do live together.

They tested the person in front of her at the "drive thru" site. I'm assuming it's due to to there being very few tests available, and the lack of severe symptoms on her part.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1940 on: April 01, 2020, 05:05:37 PM »
Fuck, that blows man.  :tdwn  If you have been Corona'd, I hope it's a mild case.  Those seem to suck ass too, but at least you won't be fighting for hospital space.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1941 on: April 01, 2020, 05:16:44 PM »
At this point, I figure everyone is going to be exposed to it at some point.  It's so fucking contagious, and there's no way around the fact that you do need to leave the house at least once in a while to get food and meds.  Sure, you can take every precaution.  Masks, disinfect everything, sterile practices, etc.  Are we all going to keep this up for the next two months, six months, a year or more?  The "experts" say we're at least a year away from a vaccine or cure.

I just hope that when I get it, it's not too bad.  I know three people personally who have it now, all my age give or take a few years.  Two are still in the hospital, and one never went in.  He stayed home with a postive diagnosis, but his symptoms never got worse than "a regular flu".  Some people never show symptoms at all.  Life is a crapshoot.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1942 on: April 01, 2020, 05:46:33 PM »
My sister shared to our family group chat a video from their balcony in Manhattan of the people cheering at 7pm for the medical workers change of shift as ambulances drive down an empty 2nd Ave. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1943 on: April 01, 2020, 05:49:25 PM »
I really hope every single person doesn't get it.  If we stay at home for whatever the recommended amount turns out to be, at least maybe there will be a lot less of it spreading around.  Maybe we'll have to have several rounds of this; I've read a few health experts speculating that might be the case.  But I agree - we can hope for a mild case if we do get it.  And if we have to be hospitalized, hopefully the longer we've held out, the more likely they'll have equipment and not be overwhelmed.  And maybe have more treatment options.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1944 on: April 01, 2020, 05:56:09 PM »
They need to test everyone at some point IMO.  There's no reason to do rounds of this if a significant amount of the population actually has or had it.  There's more talk about this being around much longer than we realized and more research is showing 25-50% of infected people have no symptoms which means there's no way to tell who is walking around with it feeling normal without testing everyone.  Even now, only the most extreme symptomatic people are getting tested in the US. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1945 on: April 01, 2020, 06:23:03 PM »
more research is showing 25-50% of infected people have no symptoms

See, that's what I'm talking about.  Someone upthread (sorry, I don't remember who) suggested that I already have it, and my "non-dry" cough and slightly stuffy nose is all the symptoms I'm gonna see.  Hell, if 25-50% of infected people show no symptoms at all, I can always hope to be one of them.

What I can't imagine doing is spending the next year or so living like this.  Maybe I'll change my mind, maybe some credible evidence could come out that they're close to a cure if we just hang on another month or so, something like that.  I don't know.  No one knows.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1946 on: April 01, 2020, 06:25:50 PM »
Saw MP post about this.

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/adam-schlesinger-coronavirus-dead-dies-1203552130/

Guy from Fountains of Wayne died from the virus.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1947 on: April 01, 2020, 07:16:08 PM »
Fuck, that blows man.  :tdwn  If you have been Corona'd, I hope it's a mild case.  Those seem to suck ass too, but at least you won't be fighting for hospital space.

We both feel fine, very very minor symptoms. So if it is Corona, hoping it stays like this.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1948 on: April 01, 2020, 08:48:19 PM »
Hope it stays like that as well, take care brother.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1949 on: April 01, 2020, 09:05:18 PM »
So to close out the first day of April, the World-o-meter has it at 935k cases (77k new ones today), so we'll be hitting 1M WW cases tomorrow.  April 2nd.  I posted on March 23rd when we were at 276k worldwide cases we'd be at 1M by the 1st week in April.  Fuck I did not want the math to be right.  The math also says it's only 3 more weeks until it's 10M cases world wide.

I know the Sam Jackson thing was cute and lol-worthy and all, but seriously... STAY THE FUCK HOME (unless you're "essential").
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1950 on: April 01, 2020, 09:16:38 PM »
So to close out the first day of April, the World-o-meter has it at 935k cases (77k new ones today), so we'll be hitting 1M WW cases tomorrow.  April 2nd.  I posted on March 23rd when we were at 276k worldwide cases we'd be at 1M by the 1st week in April.  Fuck I did not want the math to be right.  The math also says it's only 3 more weeks until it's 10M cases world wide.

I know the Sam Jackson thing was cute and lol-worthy and all, but seriously... STAY THE FUCK HOME (unless you're "essential").

Not gonna lie, I’m considering walking out of my job because I don’t feel comfortable anymore. Too much.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1951 on: April 01, 2020, 09:58:30 PM »
Not gonna lie, I’m considering walking out of my job because I don’t feel comfortable anymore. Too much.

I am waiting for this tipping point to hit, where people are walking off the job for concerns over their safety. It's started to happen this week.

I went and got take-out from two of our favorite local places this week. I know they didn't have to be there, but are doing so for their livelihood, and I want to pay them back for it, even if it's only $10 worth of phad thai.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1952 on: April 02, 2020, 01:02:28 AM »
Sure, you can take every precaution.  Masks, disinfect everything, sterile practices, etc.

Don't forget gloves of any kind. Don't touch anything that everyone touches such as doorknobs, gates, handrails etc.... masks are ok, but also not touching things exposed to the public and used by everyone can help.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1953 on: April 02, 2020, 06:23:50 AM »

I am waiting for this tipping point to hit, where people are walking off the job for concerns over their safety. It's started to happen this week.

This has happened at my wife's work. She works at an independent/assisted living facility and there are a lot of people that decided they weren't working.

My wife's doctor has kept her home for the last two weeks as she has an auto immune disease.

Where I work, I feel like the longer this goes, at some point there's going to be a "giant sucking sound" of employees dropping off.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1954 on: April 02, 2020, 06:32:28 AM »
My company did really well in our 2020 fiscal year, which just ended in March. We're due to get 125% of our bonus percentage as a result (about 19% bonus for me). We're a medical device company, so there shouldn't be much of a slowdown due to the virus outbreak. But I have this terrible feeling they aren't going to give us our bonuses at the end of May as scheduled because our stock is down like everyone else's and due to the uncertain future. I can see them coming up with some excuse. It won't make or break me, but it's a nice chunk of change that I'm really depending on to fund some known future expenses and to beef up my emergency fund just in case I need it. I really hope I'm wrong and they'll go out as scheduled, but I'm nervous.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #1955 on: April 02, 2020, 06:46:28 AM »
My company did really well in our 2020 fiscal year, which just ended in March. We're due to get 125% of our bonus percentage as a result (about 19% bonus for me). We're a medical device company, so there shouldn't be much of a slowdown due to the virus outbreak. But I have this terrible feeling they aren't going to give us our bonuses at the end of May as scheduled because our stock is down like everyone else's and due to the uncertain future. I can see them coming up with some excuse. It won't make or break me, but it's a nice chunk of change that I'm really depending on to fund some known future expenses and to beef up my emergency fund just in case I need it. I really hope I'm wrong and they'll go out as scheduled, but I'm nervous.

My immediate guess would be that they won't mess with this.  That would be an excellent way to destroy all employee good will, and there would be a flood of people running to new jobs on the other side of this (plus, those staying would not be very motivated).  Employers of highly-skilled workers are generally on a shorter leash with jerking around their employees, because they are toast if they do that...both with the exodus of current employees and inability to recruit new employees when word gets around.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1956 on: April 02, 2020, 06:50:30 AM »

This has happened at my wife's work. She works at an independent/assisted living facility and there are a lot of people that decided they weren't working.

My wife's doctor has kept her home for the last two weeks as she has an auto immune disease.

Where I work, I feel like the longer this goes, at some point there's going to be a "giant sucking sound" of employees dropping off.

It's stuff like this that makes things even scarier.  If/when any 'essential' workers pass their tipping point of feeling at too much risk, then what are we in store for?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1957 on: April 02, 2020, 06:50:35 AM »

My immediate guess would be that they won't mess with this.  That would be an excellent way to destroy all employee good will, and there would be a flood of people running to new jobs on the other side of this (plus, those staying would not be very motivated).  Employers of highly-skilled workers are generally on a shorter leash with jerking around their employees, because they are toast if they do that...both with the exodus of current employees and inability to recruit new employees when word gets around.
I think you're probably correct. I guess I hadn't thought of it from that point of view. Medical device companies appear to be hiring through all of this, especially those that are directly involved with products that are used to fight the virus. So it wouldn't be too difficult for people to leave even now.

It's stuff like this that makes things even scarier.  If/when any 'essential' workers pass their tipping point of feeling at too much risk, then what are we in store for?
There will be others willing to take their place if it's a simple job like checking people out or stocking shelves at the grocery store. People will become more and more desperate as they are out of work and many will be willing to work despite the risks. Skilled labor type jobs will be harder to replace though. I'm sure this will happen to some extent unless more safeguards are put in place.

My company is still running at full and almost everyone needs to be in the office due to the hands-on nature of their jobs. I wouldn't be surprised if they went to a split shift type of situation to reduce the number of people in the office at the same time. Also wouldn't be surprised if they implement a temperature check before entering the building. Sadly, I think it will take someone in the office getting the virus before they get too serious about it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 06:55:58 AM by lordxizor »

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1958 on: April 02, 2020, 06:52:46 AM »

I'm pretty sure this happened in my area, just on a smaller scale.  We have a great local pizza shop with 6 locations in various suburbs.  They closed 5 of the locations due to "staffing problems" a week ago.  Our location stayed open.

They put an ad out on Facebook that they were hiring, and a handful of days later, announced that the locations are re-opening tomorrow.  I wouldn't doubt that a lot of the employees said that they weren't coming in anymore, so they had to close and re-staff 5 locations. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1959 on: April 02, 2020, 07:56:05 AM »
Did you guys see this story? A train engineer purposely derailed a train at full speed with the intent of ramming it into the USS Mercy docked at the Port of Los Angeles with the intent of bringing attention to the govt's hidden agenda...

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bronsonstocking/2020/04/01/man-arrested-after-derailing-train-to-attack-usns-mercy-hospital-ship-docked-in-los-angeles-n2566182

I'd suspect as this event really starts to drag on in the coming months, more people are going to become unglued in this manner.

On the positive side of the news, my unemployment got approved and a check was dispersed :)