Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 429634 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1680 on: March 26, 2020, 10:37:16 AM »
It at least settled my panic and I realized that I had some nasal congestion, so I'm pretty sure it's just a cold.

Dude, not to further alarm you, but coronavirus IS a cold.  If you are having cold symptoms, you should start immediately treating it is if it is coronavirus, and completely isolate.

I am, I haven't left the house since this came on yesterday afternoon.  I haven't seen anyone but my immediately family since the symptoms started.  It's just me, my wife and kids.  I'm not going to shut myself in a room in the house for 14 days though.  My kids are 2 and 4 and it just isn't going to work.  I have to be dad and keep life as normal as possible for them. 

Plus, if I did have the big bug, they're already exposed just by living here.  So it is what it is, and I see what develops.   My family has had a cold for 4 weeks now, since well before any confirmed cases were in my state.  We can't kick it, it just keeps coming back.  So all I can do is throw my arms up in the air and see what happens.  If I get a fever, then I've hit the jackpot. 

Aw, man.  Hoping for the best for you.  Hope you can stay positive.  I know it must be hard at times. :hug:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1681 on: March 26, 2020, 10:39:18 AM »
I'm trying to maintain perspective. Like, I'm not lying when I say I haven't even encountered a person with the flu all winter long. So i feel pretty safe about still going to my gym. Still only 2 cases in my county. Orb, I hope you don't have it!!
Dude, I'm not trying to get on your case, but honestly, other than an ER, a gym sounds like perhaps THE most likely place to pick it up.  I would be rethinking my decision to go if I were in your shoes.  I get that you live in a rural area with no reported cases.  But you have been following along and know how long it takes for symptoms to manifest in someone who may be carrying.  Stay healthy, man!

No, I get that, and I appreciate the concern. On a daily basis, I'm re-evaluating my options for what to do every day when I leave work whether it's for lunch or when I get off at 5. In fact, shortly after posting what you quoted from me, I checked the local news for central Illinois and 4 more cases were reported in the nearby city of Champaign (it was 2 for about a week, then 4 for a few days, and as of today it doubled). So, taking into consideration the fact that plenty more people likely have it and aren't getting tested/won't be tested/4 more of my friends are on lockdown with the cold/flu/potentially COVID-19 themselves, I'm now putting off the gym for the foreseeable future. The deck of cards routine is kicking my ass well enough as it is. :) The only reason I trusted this gym more than anywhere else is due to the low traffic, the incredible amount of discipline I've seen from the rest of the regular members over the last 9 years, and the sheer amount of disinfectant and Lysol in the place at any given moment. Obviously yeah there's a chance I could get it there but I 100% honestly believe I'm much more at risk at my day job, and I haven't even encountered anybody with the flu over the last 7 months, which makes me less anxious than I otherwise would be.

That's a lot of words to say that I agree with and appreciate what you're saying, but here's my two cents (times ten).  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1682 on: March 26, 2020, 10:41:59 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KPbJ0-DxTc

Coronavirus Rhapsody. This actually made me smile  :)

That was really great!  Thanks for sharing.  It's nice to get a little laughter at a time like this.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1683 on: March 26, 2020, 10:43:43 AM »
It at least settled my panic and I realized that I had some nasal congestion, so I'm pretty sure it's just a cold.

Dude, not to further alarm you, but coronavirus IS a cold.  If you are having cold symptoms, you should start immediately treating it is if it is coronavirus, and completely isolate.

I am, I haven't left the house since this came on yesterday afternoon.  I haven't seen anyone but my immediately family since the symptoms started.  It's just me, my wife and kids.  I'm not going to shut myself in a room in the house for 14 days though.  My kids are 2 and 4 and it just isn't going to work.  I have to be dad and keep life as normal as possible for them. 

Plus, if I did have the big bug, they're already exposed just by living here.  So it is what it is, and I see what develops.   My family has had a cold for 4 weeks now, since well before any confirmed cases were in my state.  We can't kick it, it just keeps coming back.  So all I can do is throw my arms up in the air and see what happens.  If I get a fever, then I've hit the jackpot. 

Aw, man.  Hoping for the best for you.  Hope you can stay positive.  I know it must be hard at times. :hug:

Virtual hug!  I'm not too worried.  Just have to wait and see.  So far, it just feels like a regular cold coming on. 

Edit:  Spoke to my primary care physician.  They think it's just an upper respiratory virus and/or possible strep throat.  It doesn't really feel like the usual strep throat/sore throat, but I get a Z-pack anyways.  They weren't concerned in the slightest about me having coronavirus by my description of the few symptoms I have and I wouldn't qualify to get tested.

It's amazing that the sniffles or a sore throat can put you in a panic or make you question any illness, especially by reading all sorts of things and opinions online.  Better to be safe and check with your doctor. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 12:31:10 PM by Grappler »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1684 on: March 26, 2020, 12:05:12 PM »
Most of the places will be closed here come Saturday, and all the non-essential businesses are to be closed for the next week. Haven't seen the official statement from our workplace yet, but rumours are we'll spend the whole next week in self-isolation with no one coming to work. That'll be at least nine days of total self-isolation for me, starting this Saturday until next Sunday (and possibly more depending on what government decides).

My PS4 (with Detroit: Become Human, Horizon: Zero Dawn and The Last of Us included in the package) arrived to my doorstep today and I stacked up on veggies and booze (already have lots of frozen food) on my way back home from work, and not going to lie, I'm really looking forward to this.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1685 on: March 26, 2020, 01:48:05 PM »
I finished HZD about a month ago.  Loved it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1686 on: March 26, 2020, 01:58:46 PM »
As of 5pm tomorrow, my county will be in a "stay at home" status.  Only essential businesses to remain open.

Guess who works for an essential business?

:justjen
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1687 on: March 26, 2020, 02:10:02 PM »
Everyone? Cuz that's what it seems like here in Minnesota. I swear I don't know a single person who's not considered essential.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1688 on: March 26, 2020, 02:15:35 PM »
I got kicked out of the building for being there too long today for work  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1689 on: March 26, 2020, 02:19:42 PM »
Everyone? Cuz that's what it seems like here in Minnesota. I swear I don't know a single person who's not considered essential.

I won't say the city - though I know one person here who lives nearby, and many of us enjoy a band that has ties to it - but someone on a staff call today said that in that city, basically florists are the only business where there has been no exceptions to the "non-essential business" designation.  Meaning, every other industry has some percentage of it's businesses deemed to be "essential".   I don't know if that is factually true or not, but the point is, "essential" is a matter of discretion.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1690 on: March 26, 2020, 02:25:45 PM »
When Illinois announced the SIP thing on Friday/Saturday, they said 'please note this is optional participation.'

Clearly nobody GAF this week because everybody's back to normal. Even the foot traffic at my job has increased. People: reaffirming that a collective short attention span is one of our biggest flaws
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1691 on: March 26, 2020, 02:26:25 PM »
The list of essential business in NJ is like a page long.  And on my drive home just now I was surprised to see so many cars on the road.  More than last week which is a bit concerning.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #1692 on: March 26, 2020, 03:03:23 PM »
Yep. MN stay at home order seems pretty loosey goosey. Restaurants are still doing take out/deliver.
I honestly don’t think much changed with the Governor order

My best friend is a receptionist at a law firm and that’s considered “essential”.

I’ve been working from home the past two weeks (I work in E-comm) and our business is losing about $100k per day because of lost sales. Ouch. And that’s BEFORE we had to completely shut down order fulfillment starting Friday with the shut down order.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1693 on: March 26, 2020, 03:29:01 PM »

Here in NY the only businesses that seem affected are clothing stores and some electronic stores. Everything else is opened.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1694 on: March 26, 2020, 03:37:09 PM »
The whole idea of "essential" is so open-ended that it's basically useless.  It's because Americans would never stand for a complete and proper shutdown as in Italy and other countries.  Over there, the government orders you to stay home, and cops will bust you if you're out.  Here, yeah we really would like the whole Coronavirus thing to go away, but a total lockdown would be so inconvenient, so we half-ass it.  The result will be that we take 10 times as long to beat it, if we ever do.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1695 on: March 26, 2020, 03:45:34 PM »
The whole idea of "essential" is so open-ended that it's basically useless.  It's because Americans would never stand for a complete and proper shutdown as in Italy and other countries.  Over there, the government orders you to stay home, and cops will bust you if you're out.  Here, yeah we really would like the whole Coronavirus thing to go away, but a total lockdown would be so inconvenient, so we half-ass it.  The result will be that we take 10 times as long to beat it, if we ever do.

If things continue to get worse (which is expected), it needs to happen in the US.  Part of me feels like this is all part of the plan though, a slow cut down on things until we get to the point of everything stops.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1696 on: March 26, 2020, 03:47:48 PM »

If things continue to get worse (which is expected), it needs to happen in the US.  Part of me feels like this is all part of the plan though, a slow cut down on things until we get to the point of everything stops.

I don't think it'll even happen. Not until people drop like flies everywhere. Especially out in rural counties and fully rural states, there's no way those people are going to just go "oh okay" and stop. Americans just don't give up, man.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1697 on: March 26, 2020, 03:51:19 PM »
It's a fine line, because so many things truly are essential - everything connected to the supply chain of food; production and delivery of utilities; waste collection; Insurance providers; call centres for pretty much everything; government services and support; internet providers; healthcare; emergency services (fire, police, ambulatory); IT departments of every industry trying to stay operational; banking infrastructure; many manufacturing and distribution companies connected to any/all of the above (especially, healthcare); tow trucks/mechanics.

Seems like 1/2 the fuckin world really is essential.  And then when 1/2 of the other 1/2 that isn't, acts like they are or should be ... well, we don't really change much, do we?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: March 26, 2020, 03:56:27 PM »

I don't think it'll even happen. Not until people drop like flies everywhere. Especially out in rural counties and fully rural states, there's no way those people are going to just go "oh okay" and stop. Americans just don't give up, man.

I doubt Trump would do that on a national scale, but I can see NY for example doubling down on staying home.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1699 on: March 26, 2020, 03:58:43 PM »

I wish it were like you said over here (Italy). We took almost a month and a plethora of increasingly strict governmental acts before reaching total lockdown. And still right now, while people - and doctors -  are literally dropping like flies, factories won't close, exceptions become rules, and the south of the country (where hospitals are fifty years behind acceptable) is still basically ignoring instructions. The "logic" is the same everywhere: "I'm young and healthy, my area is low density, I can manage".

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1700 on: March 26, 2020, 04:56:36 PM »
Working from home for a month and have a temporary set up in my granddaughters room when she stays with us.  She asked my wife why my office could not be in our bedroom.  Five year old kids are so honest.

After staying home a month, I asked my boss to try and convince the Controller to let us work from home 3 days a week. The commute is awful and we have the technology.  Let us use it!
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1701 on: March 26, 2020, 05:34:28 PM »

What is everything though? Should grocery stores close? Do we start growing our own crops?

The list of essential business in NJ is like a page long. 

1 page? Pfft ours is 14.

https://1y4yclbm79aqghpm1xoezrdw-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/FINAL-WA-Essential-Critical-Infrastructure-Workers-03.23.2020.pdf
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1702 on: March 26, 2020, 05:36:48 PM »
I'm really surprised how loosely it's being taken elsewhere. Here in the SF Bay Area, it's grocery, mail, pet, gas, mechanic, drug, hardware and other related stuff, and utilities and such. Walmart and Target sneak by because groceries. All the starbucks are either closed or drive through only (except the ones at grocery stores which is odd). Rush hour traffic looks like a Sunday afternoon, it's quite disturbing tbh. As soon as we can get the morons to stop congregating on beaches and stuff, we should be good.

Coyotes were spotted on the streets of San Francisco...

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1703 on: March 26, 2020, 05:38:10 PM »

What is everything though? Should grocery stores close? Do we start growing our own crops?

1 page? Pfft ours is 14.

https://1y4yclbm79aqghpm1xoezrdw-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/FINAL-WA-Essential-Critical-Infrastructure-Workers-03.23.2020.pdf

So out of curiosity, using that document as an example, what jobs on that list does people think would be deemed non-essential? 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1704 on: March 26, 2020, 05:44:08 PM »

1 page? Pfft ours is 14.

:lol I don't expect EVERYTHING to shut down, but I could see where cops are out and about making sure people aren't lingering around.  If the Mayor of NYC is taking down basketball nets, the next logical step seems to be to actually enforce people from unnecessarily going out.  Which it seems other parts of the world have done. 

I have a friend who has non stop been sharing videos and talking about being out and about... I keep wondering why?  Just go home, he's got no work now but just stay home instead of driving around going to stores and different parks.  I think some people have a real hard time just sitting still, I get it, we are a country half with ADD.  Including myself, I'm glad I've been getting to go out to work and leave my house, but I am trying really hard not to make unnecessary trips and it must be 100x harder for people with family or living with others. 

also, that coyote is awesome but my same friend shared the huge drive through line at the starbucks.  I get it that it's social distancing by everyone using the drive through and I'm sure the worker is being clean with their process but why?  Why are you at starbucks, coffee can be made at home.  This is why I start to feel like it will need to be forced to stay home if things don't get better.  They might and this all might be moot.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1705 on: March 26, 2020, 05:47:40 PM »
I wasn't attempting to use the list as a commentary, I just thought it insightful to see it was spelled out in detail (for my state)*. I would really like to see the numbers of employees who qualify under each line item and then determine what percentage it is of all the employed people of the state.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1706 on: March 26, 2020, 06:46:48 PM »
This came in the mail today. This is not a joke (though I have no agenda in posting it; I just thought it was interesting):

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1707 on: March 26, 2020, 07:37:11 PM »
I was fully expecting it to say something along the lines of "go to church on Easter", or "be ready to return to work in mid-April.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1708 on: March 26, 2020, 08:19:42 PM »
So I was watching this video...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/lifestyle/why-experts-say-healthy-people-should-stop-wearing-masks/vi-BB11I73k

How does everyone feel about wearing a mask in public?

A lot of people in the store are wearing one. One question I have is where are they getting them?

The experts seem to side on masks don't really protect you from getting a virus, but may help stop the spread if you're infected. I try and steer clear of everyone in the store when at all possible, but I view people that are wearing a mask as HAVING IT, and I steer way clear of them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1709 on: March 26, 2020, 08:50:20 PM »
I'd wear a mask if I had a supply already and had to go out.  It's pretty clear that wearing a mask does help if you don't act like it's suddenly made you invincible.  It reduces the risk, it doesn't eliminate it, so you still have to wash your hands and try not to get too close to other people.

But since we don't have enough, I'm not going to try to get some now.  Health care workers need whatever stock we have.  Maybe one day when all this is over, I'll try to get some for future pandemics.

We should probably start manufacturing more of them to increase that stock pile and have enough for civilians too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1710 on: March 26, 2020, 08:57:55 PM »
I've seen people wearing scarves, bandanas, pulled up turtle necks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1711 on: March 26, 2020, 09:13:56 PM »
We have plenty of respirators and particle masks at the shop. I took a couple for home use in the event that the fan gets ruined (props to Stadler for that wonderful turn of phrase).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1712 on: March 26, 2020, 09:41:01 PM »
I never thought I would be a "Mask Wearer" but a co-worker gave me one of his N95s today, he had some extra and thought I might be doing some attic work. Turned out I didn't so I have a brand new mask to keep at my side.

And yes, I am adding the ruined fan phrase to my repertoire.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1713 on: March 26, 2020, 09:45:16 PM »
You know what's weird?  I bought a big box of N95 masks over a year ago when my step son and wife were going to clean out the garage (there had been some animals in there, so I bought something better than standard dust masks)....and then we forgot that we had only used a couple.   So I have nearly a full big box.   

I thought about donating them, but then someone said that since the box is open and the wrapper is undone, I can't.   So I guess I'm the proud owner of some extras. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1714 on: March 27, 2020, 05:40:58 AM »
So... Boris Johnson, UK prime minister, who had some days ago the idea of "let everyone get the virus, we'll develop herd immunity"..... tested positive for Covid-19.

Whopsie.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!