Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 429773 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1645 on: March 25, 2020, 09:43:23 PM »
I keep seeing articles on news sites about going hiking and for walks etc. too. Like... it's baffling  :lol

I imagine there is some psychological aspect to this.... if you tell people "Never leave the house," they are going to say "F--- that pal, you can't keep me from leaving my home!" Whereas they say "Stay home, but feel free to take a walk," people will think Fine, I don't mind staying home as long as it is ok if I go out for a walk."

I bet going for a walk will be beneficial for many people too during this crisis, keeping them bringing out their inner Jack Torrence.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1646 on: March 25, 2020, 10:44:01 PM »
I was getting a little stir crazy and decided to go for a walk after work (I work from home) yesterday.  It was fucking snowing out.

In other news, our guitarist David is in the ICU with confirmed COVID-19.  Pneumonia, with both respiratory and cardiac issues.  He's critical but stable.  Fuck.  We had a band practice two weeks ago tonight, before the official lockdown here in Illinois, but after we should've known better.  If the incubation period is "5 to 14 days" then there's a chance that he picked it up after I saw him last.  Yeah, right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1647 on: March 26, 2020, 04:45:24 AM »
I was getting a little stir crazy and decided to go for a walk after work (I work from home) yesterday.  It was fucking snowing out.

In other news, our guitarist David is in the ICU with confirmed COVID-19.  Pneumonia, with both respiratory and cardiac issues.  He's critical but stable.  Fuck.  We had a band practice two weeks ago tonight, before the official lockdown here in Illinois, but after we should've known better.  If the incubation period is "5 to 14 days" then there's a chance that he picked it up after I saw him last.  Yeah, right.

I'm very sorry for your band mate, Orbert. I'm also hoping you will be well.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1648 on: March 26, 2020, 05:14:50 AM »
Is it just me or does there seem to be an inordinate number of celebrities that have tested positive for Covid-19 compared to the relatively low number of confirmed cases nationwide in the US? I suspect they're using their celebrity status to get tested when the average person wouldn't. Which makes me think that the actual number of cases is woefully under counted. That probably means that the vast majority of cases are minor and falling under the radar. Which is both good and bad.

I've always been very curious what the actual death rate from the virus is. I suspect it's far lower than many estimates (Wuhan China said it was 1.4% of confirmed symptomatic cases, but who knows how many minor or non-symptomatic cases there were that were never identified). Not to say that even 0.5% isn't scary high given how rapidly it spreads and can overwhelm medical care. Crazy times. We'll probably never know the full truth and will have to wait for the dust to settle before we get most of the info.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1649 on: March 26, 2020, 05:23:23 AM »
I'm trying to maintain perspective. Like, I'm not lying when I say I haven't even encountered a person with the flu all winter long. So i feel pretty safe about still going to my gym. Still only 2 cases in my county. Orb, I hope you don't have it!!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1650 on: March 26, 2020, 05:23:56 AM »
In Italy we know that many top football teams got tested, so yeah, I assume that it's the same everywhere, if you can pay, you get the test. And we even have public healthcare, so it's not that the citizens pay directly for the tests here, but regardless of how the sanitary system works, I would not be surprised at all that celebrities / rich / powerful people get ASAP a test.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1651 on: March 26, 2020, 05:50:01 AM »
Scary news coming from The States! :(

Here in Finland we are approaching 1000 confirmed cases and latest death toll is 5 I think. Among the infected is our former President, UN Diplomat and ambassador, and a Nobel Peace Prize owner Martti Ahtisaari. :(

Our capital region is now being quarantined and cut off from the rest of the country. Luckily I don't live around Helsinki.

Stay safe everyone! :metal

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1652 on: March 26, 2020, 05:50:54 AM »

That's awful.  I hope he does well.  I'm coming down with a cold and have a sore, scratchy throat.  I was absolutely panicked yesterday (getting only 10 hours of sleep total over the last two nights didn't help, since my kids won't sleep in), but calmed down after I saw a map of official cases in Lake County, and there are very few, if any, in my community.  It at least settled my panic and I realized that I had some nasal congestion, so I'm pretty sure it's just a cold.  All I can do is see what develops - I've barely been anywhere in the last week and a half.  A couple of takeout places and my orthopedic doctor for a quick follow-up.  So I'm pretty sure I haven't picked up the coronavirus.

Hang in there!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1653 on: March 26, 2020, 05:55:45 AM »

Yeah, it sounds like NYC and other major population hubs are going to be getting hit really hard in the next couple weeks before things hopefully get better as a result of people staying home. But we'll see. It'll be interesting to see how this affects people's desire to live in major cities in the future.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #1654 on: March 26, 2020, 05:57:53 AM »
Is it just me or does there seem to be an inordinate number of celebrities that have tested positive for Covid-19 compared to the relatively low number of confirmed cases nationwide in the US? I suspect they're using their celebrity status to get tested when the average person wouldn't. Which makes me think that the actual number of cases is woefully under counted. That probably means that the vast majority of cases are minor and falling under the radar. Which is both good and bad.

Yep.  The one that clinches it for me is that deaths are about 3x recovered cases...for something with 1-2% mortality.  That leads me to think that only the most severe are getting tested (allowing that recovery may take a longer time than a death).  My back-of-the-envelope guess is that we are under-reporting by a factor of 10.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1655 on: March 26, 2020, 06:15:32 AM »
My back-of-the-envelope guess is that we are under-reporting by a factor of 10.
That's been my assumption as well, but that's not based on anything other than my gut. Which is both promising (the death and severe case rate likely much lower than what is being reported) and scary (that so many people are unknowingly spreading it).

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1656 on: March 26, 2020, 06:46:01 AM »

Yep.  The one that clinches it for me is that deaths are about 3x recovered cases...for something with 1-2% mortality.  That leads me to think that only the most severe are getting tested (allowing that recovery may take a longer time than a death).  My back-of-the-envelope guess is that we are under-reporting by a factor of 10.

At least.  The data from Wuhan revealed that (at one point early on) they were under-reporting confirmed cases from actual cases by 26x.

Bob... hoping/praying the best for you man.

Sadly, and I heard this very early on, a medical professional in Canada predicted that at some point, it will only be one degree of separation of knowing someone who dies from COVID.  IE, at a minimum, everyone will know someone who knows someone who died from this.  Welp.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1657 on: March 26, 2020, 06:56:03 AM »

Yeah, it sounds like NYC and other major population hubs are going to be getting hit really hard in the next couple weeks before things hopefully get better as a result of people staying home. But we'll see. It'll be interesting to see how this affects people's desire to live in major cities in the future.

1) a good number of people are not staying home here. Just yesterday Mayor of NYC announced he is removing Basketball hoops from certain courts and possibly closing parks/playgrounds around the city because people are not following Social Distancing. I mentioned a few times how I've been walking to work because buses are still packed. (Timed myself today, fast paced walk took me 3 Mastodon songs and 2 Gojira songs, 42 minutes in total).

2) I don't know about other people, but I've been wanting to move out of NYC for a while. I even had plans to check out some places in the west coast in June (probably won't happen).

Also, I was reading an article yesterday how a lot of places are under-counting the number of COVID related death. Some die before they can be diagnosed, others are simply being counted as something else. Even the 17 year old from LA is being counted as something else (for now).

https://abc7ny.com/health/boys-death-no-longer-counted-among-la-countys-coronavirus-total/6049274/
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1658 on: March 26, 2020, 07:45:43 AM »
Also, I was reading an article yesterday how a lot of places are under-counting the number of COVID related death. Some die before they can be diagnosed, others are simply being counted as something else. Even the 17 year old from LA is being counted as something else (for now).
This raises the question though of how to count deaths. If a person with heart disease dies of heart failure while they had Covid-19, did they die of Covid-19 or did they die of heart disease? Does it matter if a person dies of Covid-19 versus dying with Covid-19?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1659 on: March 26, 2020, 08:00:10 AM »
That's an interesting question.  When David was first admitted to the hospital, the diagnosis was pneumonia.  But apparently that's something that can be caused by the virus, which doesn't completely make sense to me.  Pneumonia is a bacterial infection, COVID-19 is a virus.

It's kinda like AIDS in that sense.  You don't die from AIDS; you die because AIDS destroyed your immune system, allowing you to die from pneumonia or something else that you might otherwise have been able to fight off.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1660 on: March 26, 2020, 08:00:24 AM »
Sadly, and I heard this very early on, a medical professional in Canada predicted that at some point, it will only be one degree of separation of knowing someone who dies from COVID.  IE, at a minimum, everyone will know someone who knows someone who died from this.  Welp.

Isn't this a little misleading in the age of social media? I know I'm not the only one connected to people all across the country or even the globe. "I know someone who knows someone who has died from this" as an indicator of "o lawd death he comin for us all" is a bit overly fearful don'tcha think? I live in BFE, America and am friends with people in Japan, South Africa, Norway, Russia, the list goes on. Perspective.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1661 on: March 26, 2020, 08:01:57 AM »

Isn't this a little misleading in the age of social media? I know I'm not the only one connected to people all across the country or even the globe. "I know someone who knows someone who has died from this" as an indicator of "o lawd death he comin for us all" is a bit overly fearful don'tcha think?

Makes total sense. 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1662 on: March 26, 2020, 08:02:30 AM »

I agree that number of cases is way under counted because of the absolute poor job in our initial response to the crisis. But for now, I am going to give celebrities a break and here's why, a good number of politicians, actors and sports figures do a great deal of traveling and are in close quarters with others whether it be ball games or the awards season (Grammy/Oscar). These are all in very population dense cities so it makes sense that they are high risk and would need to be tested and tracked.
I live in a small town in Mid-Missouri having moved here from Dallas, TX 2 years ago and for the first time, I can actually say that I am glad I am living here and not in Dallas TX.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1663 on: March 26, 2020, 08:02:50 AM »
It's kinda like AIDS in that sense.  You don't die from AIDS; you die because AIDS destroyed your immune system, allowing you to die from pneumonia or something else that you might otherwise have been able to fight off.

I was just about to post the same example. Freddie Mercury died of pneumonia in the end. But only because AIDS destroyed his immune system to the point that a pneumonia resulted fatal.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #1664 on: March 26, 2020, 08:04:02 AM »
That's an interesting question.  When David was first admitted to the hospital, the diagnosis was pneumonia.  But apparently that's something that can be caused by the virus, which doesn't completely make sense to me.  Pneumonia is a bacterial infection, COVID-19 is a virus.

That's exactly it, pneumonia is very opportunistic, and a severe COVID-19 infection creates that opportunity.

Isn't this a little misleading in the age of social media? I know I'm not the only one connected to people all across the country or even the globe. "I know someone who knows someone who has died from this" as an indicator of "o lawd death he comin for us all" is a bit overly fearful don'tcha think? I live in BFE, America and am friends with people in Japan, South Africa, Norway, Russia, the list goes on. Perspective.

Assume 2% mortality, assume 50% of the population.  Do you know 100 people? If so, you're likely to know someone who dies.  All the more so if you know someone who is uniquely vulnerable (you know anyone who is in their mid-60s or older, is diabetic, or is severely overweight).
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1665 on: March 26, 2020, 08:05:56 AM »
Here in Finland we are approaching 1000 confirmed cases and latest death toll is 5 I think.

The amount of daily confirmed cases seems to have flatlined to about 75-90 for now. I read that as the epidemic having not gained much momentum outside the capital region.

Meanwhile in Sweden the death toll peaked to 66 (out of about 2800 confirmed cases)
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1666 on: March 26, 2020, 08:07:39 AM »

Assume 2% mortality, assume 50% of the population.  Do you know 100 people? If so, you're likely to know someone who dies.  All the more so if you know someone who is uniquely vulnerable (you know anyone who is in their mid-60s or older, is diabetic, or is severely overweight).

That's assuming we all live in equally populated areas with equal rates of infection and transmission, with the same rates of death on top of that. I know hundreds of people. I don't know a single person who's said they've been infected with the virus, so I can't say this hypothetical premise is a very constructive thought exercise. Again, perspective. Life isn't a video game; my place of living is simply not going to experience the same level of outbreak as New York City if we continue to follow good hygiene and avoid mass gatherings. Not saying people aren't going to die but when we take 'averages' and apply them to every single person like it's an accurate measurement of the upcoming tragedy, I just don't think that jibes. And I hate that I have to say this every time but please do not mistake my stance here as being flippant and unconcerned.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1667 on: March 26, 2020, 08:08:07 AM »
Orbert, pneumonia can have both bacterial and viral underlying causes.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1668 on: March 26, 2020, 08:13:15 AM »
Orbert, pneumonia can have both bacterial and viral underlying causes.

True, a few years back my mom got pneumonia which they first tried to treat with antibiotics thinking it was bacterial.  When she got worse, they determined in was viral and she was hospitalized for 3 weeks.  There is no treatment for viral pneumonia, only supportive care.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1669 on: March 26, 2020, 08:16:17 AM »
The more you know.

I have a friend from back home who also has COVID-19, confirmed.  He plays on a team, they had a meet a few weeks ago, and he is now one of at least 28 people (!) diagnosed with it.  That was on Tuesday.  He's been posting regular updates on Facebook, partly because he doesn't have a lot else to do right now, and partly because it's of great interest to me and presumably others to follow his journey through this.

They all know each other in the league, and have been sharing stories.  Of the 28, all are still alive (as of Tuesday) although three were in ICU.  He collected everyone's symptoms and posted them all, just so people could have a one-stop source of testamonials to compare and contrast.  Also, I've now read all of these first-hand accounts and when I start having symptoms, I have some idea of what it might or might not be.  Everyone gets the dry cough.  Not all the time, just once in a while, along with the low grade fever.  After three days, it seems to ease off, but then comes back with a vengeance with more "flu-like" symptoms.  Body aches, mostly in the back and lower back area.  Some get the body aches pretty bad, some not at all, most somewhere in between.  The rest of the symptoms vary more.  Some also have congestion and/or runny nose, some don't.  It's also possible that these people also happened to catch a cold at the same time.  Anyway, you get the idea.  I'm not sure how much it will help to know all this once I start showing symptoms, but I'm someone who likes to know things, so at least I'll have a little more peace of mind.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1670 on: March 26, 2020, 09:14:36 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KPbJ0-DxTc

Coronavirus Rhapsody. This actually made me smile  :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1671 on: March 26, 2020, 09:47:57 AM »
It at least settled my panic and I realized that I had some nasal congestion, so I'm pretty sure it's just a cold.

Dude, not to further alarm you, but coronavirus IS a cold.  If you are having cold symptoms, you should start immediately treating it is if it is coronavirus, and completely isolate.

Orbert, read this:  https://www.inogen.com/blog/12-signs-cold-may-pneumonia/ 
Pneumonia is almost always caused by a virus or a bacterial infection. Viral pneumonia often begins as a cold or the flu, then develops into pneumonia. Symptoms of pneumonia caused by a virus come on more gradually and are usually milder than bacterial pneumonia. Bacterial pneumonia often occurs after a viral illness, but comes from common bacteria (usually streptococcus pneumoniae or mycoplasma pneumonia) that the body is unable to fight off because the previous illness lowered the immune system.

I'm trying to maintain perspective. Like, I'm not lying when I say I haven't even encountered a person with the flu all winter long. So i feel pretty safe about still going to my gym. Still only 2 cases in my county. Orb, I hope you don't have it!!
Dude, I'm not trying to get on your case, but honestly, other than an ER, a gym sounds like perhaps THE most likely place to pick it up.  I would be rethinking my decision to go if I were in your shoes.  I get that you live in a rural area with no reported cases.  But you have been following along and know how long it takes for symptoms to manifest in someone who may be carrying.  Stay healthy, man! 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline H2

« Reply #1672 on: March 26, 2020, 09:52:08 AM »
Gym = hot humid environment, everyone touching everything, lots of perspiration and exhalation and inhalation...

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1673 on: March 26, 2020, 09:56:28 AM »
Quarantine Positive Motivational Update for Today: crime is 75% down in Italy since lockdown.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1674 on: March 26, 2020, 10:07:31 AM »
499, 541 global cases at this very moment - Italy still to report, so the globe will crest 1/2 million today.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1675 on: March 26, 2020, 10:10:41 AM »
499, 541 global cases at this very moment - Italy still to report, so the globe will crest 1/2 million today.

Indeed, we just "defended" our second place of cases from the USA, and we're "attempting" to dethrone China from the top.

Which hopefully won't happen today, but likely tomorrow or the day after tomorrow at best. We're gonna become the nation with most cases in the world. Eventually, and just by the sheer difference in population size, the "leadership" will pass to the USA.

Also Spain is doing very bad (and very quickly, the earliest other nations with cases were Germany and France), the worst after Italy in Europe, poor them.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1676 on: March 26, 2020, 10:15:53 AM »
It at least settled my panic and I realized that I had some nasal congestion, so I'm pretty sure it's just a cold.

Dude, not to further alarm you, but coronavirus IS a cold.  If you are having cold symptoms, you should start immediately treating it is if it is coronavirus, and completely isolate.

I am, I haven't left the house since this came on yesterday afternoon.  I haven't seen anyone but my immediately family since the symptoms started.  It's just me, my wife and kids.  I'm not going to shut myself in a room in the house for 14 days though.  My kids are 2 and 4 and it just isn't going to work.  I have to be dad and keep life as normal as possible for them. 

Plus, if I did have the big bug, they're already exposed just by living here.  So it is what it is, and I see what develops.   My family has had a cold for 4 weeks now, since well before any confirmed cases were in my state.  We can't kick it, it just keeps coming back.  So all I can do is throw my arms up in the air and see what happens.  If I get a fever, then I've hit the jackpot. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1677 on: March 26, 2020, 10:16:34 AM »

Orbert, read this:  https://www.inogen.com/blog/12-signs-cold-may-pneumonia/ 
Pneumonia is almost always caused by a virus or a bacterial infection. Viral pneumonia often begins as a cold or the flu, then develops into pneumonia. Symptoms of pneumonia caused by a virus come on more gradually and are usually milder than bacterial pneumonia. Bacterial pneumonia often occurs after a viral illness, but comes from common bacteria (usually streptococcus pneumoniae or mycoplasma pneumonia) that the body is unable to fight off because the previous illness lowered the immune system.

Good to know.  I think I "learned" that pneumonia could be either bacterial or viral some time ago, but it just didn't stick.  Somehow I had it in my head that pneumonia is a specific condition caused by bacteria.  Like so many other things, it's a whole category of conditions with different causes.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1678 on: March 26, 2020, 10:25:32 AM »

Indeed, we just "defended" our second place of cases from the USA, and we're "attempting" to dethrone China from the top.

Which hopefully won't happen today, but likely tomorrow or the day after tomorrow at best. We're gonna become the nation with most cases in the world. Eventually, and just by the sheer difference in population size, the "leadership" will pass to the USA.

Also Spain is doing very bad (and very quickly, the earliest other nations with cases were Germany and France), the worst after Italy in Europe, poor them.

At this rate, US will take the #1 spot by the end of the day or early tomorrow morning and Italy will take China's spot by tomorrow as well.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1679 on: March 26, 2020, 10:25:38 AM »

A lot of countries looking at Italy, hoping they aren't next.  I'm glad your reported new cases have slowly been declining in the past couple of days, but man that death toll is scary.
Here in the UK we've slowly see it rising, The reaction from the our Government has been a tad slow and I suspect the only reason we aren't shooting up like a lot of big mainland Europe countries is we are an Island.  We are mostly under lockdown now, although not as stringent as other places (I'm still at work, because I can't work from home - but I suspect next week they'll force all non essential businesses to close).

Looks like the shite is really hitting the fan in the USA.  From the outside Trump is coming across awful, really awful - hopefully he'll step it up.   Cliche' but Stay Safe everyone.