Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 442420 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1190 on: March 18, 2020, 03:31:37 PM »
Anyone else feel an almost compulsive desire to go get take out from local restaurants? I also want to go gey take out growlers from a couple local breweries I like. These places are going to go under within a couple months if this continues. I don't frequent these place often normally, but I want to more now.

Yeah, I been thinking of doing takeout / delivery at least once a week.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1191 on: March 18, 2020, 03:34:41 PM »
A friend of mine runs a Mexican restaurant with a drive thru so I still continue to patronize his business and get shrimp tacos while I'm still in my car :2metal:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1192 on: March 18, 2020, 03:35:27 PM »
I've been on a diet so eating out is not something I want to do, but yes, I've considered ordering some pizza from one of my favorite spots and freezing what I don't eat (I'm only one person, ordering a pie would be too much for me plus totally against my diet).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1193 on: March 18, 2020, 03:39:40 PM »
It's my family's plan to get take-out once a week from our favorite local establishments.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1194 on: March 18, 2020, 03:40:22 PM »
Donnie just called it the Chinese Virus on twitter. :facepalm:

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1195 on: March 18, 2020, 04:03:05 PM »

Who's Donnie precious? 

I'm surprised no one's called it A-2 Hong Kong Flu yet (cause u no, Hong Kong's in China)... I figured SK would be getting more love from people seeing that he predicted this in the 70's and early 80's.  Baby won't you tell me if you think you caaaann... Baaaaby can you dig yo maaaann.

On a serious note, what's everyone think of the 14-45 day time frame of slowing the spread?  I'm not talking bout talking heads and news articles, I'm talking about people on the ground experiencing it.  Can I be the a-hole and ask if anyone thinks the US is over-reacting just a bit?  Not the social distancing as that's understandable and agreeable, I'm talking about the closures and the panic buying that follows with the closures.  People see Nordstrom's and Victoria's Secret closed and they go by toilet paper and spam.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1196 on: March 18, 2020, 04:16:10 PM »

Who's Donnie precious? 

I'm surprised no one's called it A-2 Hong Kong Flu yet (cause u no, Hong Kong's in China)... I figured SK would be getting more love from people seeing that he predicted this in the 70's and early 80's.  Baby won't you tell me if you think you caaaann... Baaaaby can you dig yo maaaann.

On a serious note, what's everyone think of the 14-45 day time frame of slowing the spread?  I'm not talking bout talking heads and news articles, I'm talking about people on the ground experiencing it.  Can I be the a-hole and ask if anyone thinks the US is over-reacting just a bit?  Not the social distancing as that's understandable and agreeable, I'm talking about the closures and the panic buying that follows with the closures.  People see Nordstrom's and Victoria's Secret closed and they go by toilet paper and spam.

People with some anecdotal cases won't have the same overview as entire agencies that have access to patient data. Furthermore, diabetes seems to be one of the risk factors for developing serious illness and the US is leading in that regard.

There is a reason why some countries went into a total lockdown, it is because their hospitals were full and people are dying. None of these governments would self impose such massive economical damage if it was not absolutely necessary.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1197 on: March 18, 2020, 04:25:57 PM »
You know, I've given a lot of thought to this virus. I've looked at not only how it's impacting the world. but also how it's impacting my personal life. I've landed on a position that might seem controversial. I don't want to insult anyone here, or rub anyone the wrong way, but I just can't say this in a super PC way.

But this Covid thing?

Not a fan. Not a fan at all.

In fact....it's kind of pissing me off.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1198 on: March 18, 2020, 04:29:43 PM »
There were 29 deaths in Italy at the end of February from this.  There were 475 today, bringing the total to 2978, and they'll pass China tomorrow. 
I would not assume the numbers coming out of China are accurate.

I don't think anyone is.  I wouldn't be surprised if many that were dragged out of their homes and put in self isolation rooms didn't eventually disappear as well.

Deplorable.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1199 on: March 18, 2020, 04:42:16 PM »
But this Covid thing?

Not a fan. Not a fan at all.

In fact....it's kind of pissing me off.

Yup, just got home and my summer concert pass to my local shed arrived.  Makes me so upset that this may not even happen.  I should be filled with joy for getting this, access to over 30 of the biggest tours this summer and yet I'm all wondering if I can even get my money back if the summer doesn't happen as expected.  Of course there is life and death to worry about, but we've all got our things that are impacted.

Online Adami

« Reply #1200 on: March 18, 2020, 06:05:16 PM »
Dave's completely right. But, and this is more to embellish on one of his points, it does more than simply distract, it creates people defending him.

His language is brilliantly vague. Is there anything overtly racist about what he said? Nope! And he knows that most people only consider overt racism as legit racism, where everything else is largely fine.

Obviously if he had called it a chink virus or something, we wouldn't even be debating this. Or if he said the Wuhan virus, to be honest. But he did neither, he specifically said Chinese. And yes, if anyone studies psychology or social psychology for just a few hours, you will see that racism/prejudice CAN in fact be inspired and flamed by these kinds of things. It happens all the time by various leaders in different contexts. And you can sweep it away as "well those people doing racist things were already racist to begin with" and you'd be partially right. We're ALL racist to some degree, or prejudice to some degree. Under certain circumstances, almost everyone can turn. So he's not making people racist. Not at all. He's giving it credence, or legitimacy. And, for a lot of people, that's enough to have big impacts. Racial attacks against Asians have risen dramatically since the virus started. Is Trump responsible for any of it? Nope! But he's giving it some inspiration, some legitimacy, some egging on. If I do that, it makes no difference because who cares about me? But Trump can speak to every single 350 million Americans (at least the ones able to hear/read/see him) and serves as the highest law of the land. That matters...a lot. You can say it does not, but you'd be wrong. It's the same reason why if a head Rabbi or a head Priest or Imam or what have you preaches racially based things, many of his follows will act on those things without being directly told to.

But that's besides the point. His language is brilliant, as I said. Because of its ambiguity. Because of it's grayness. So now you'll have people like me, who actually have to deal with the results on the ground by helping Asian clients, and people who see things a little differently. The result is you have people, like Stadler and others, who do NOT like Trump at all, but are more than happy to defend him in these cases because of that ambiguity. I am confident that if Trump said "Chinese immigrants are trying to kill all of you with this virus!" then Stadler and such would not defend him at all. So instead of focusing on how badly this was handled, Trump now has people strongly defending him, even if they hate him. That's brilliant. It also, as Dave pointed out, emboldens people like Trump. So, on that note, this will be the last thing I say on the racism aspect of it, unless something huge happens. I made my points, others have made theirs, and I have nothing else to offer. Luckily this virus is making the world such a fun place that I doubt we'll run out of things to discuss.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1201 on: March 18, 2020, 06:37:56 PM »
This virus, and the political implications surrounding it, are of course linked. But I think this topic is significant enough to warrant two separate threads.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

« Reply #1202 on: March 18, 2020, 06:40:25 PM »
This virus, and the political implications surrounding it, are of course linked. But I think this topic is significant enough to warrant two separate threads.

Well said. I’d be happy to keep the pr stuff in the pr thread from here on. My bad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1203 on: March 18, 2020, 07:46:58 PM »
I'll turn the direction of this thread back to usual "fun" general discussions regarding a topic we all know.....

So I went to a couple of stores to get some stuff (like some desserts and some side dishes like mac n cheese).  Thankfully, those weren't as sold out as say toilet paper, water, medicine, etc.  That's not the point I want to make though.  With a lot of people coming to convenient stores more frequently in light of these events, it leaves more shopping carts lying all over the parking lot.....  I always think of you guys when I see shopping carts lying around.  Carts were just piling to even occupied parking spots.  Just plain yikes, but not as yikes as what we are seeing in this epidemic.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1204 on: March 18, 2020, 07:50:14 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1205 on: March 18, 2020, 08:03:23 PM »
#Coronacarts
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: March 18, 2020, 08:16:27 PM »
Put your god damn cart away, Tim.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1207 on: March 18, 2020, 08:24:25 PM »
 :lol

I ran out to the Target right near where I work today to grab some stuff, I got a cart and wiped it down for the first time in my life and then didn't touch my face until I got back to work and used sanitizer. I've never been so germophibic in my life but that's where we are.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #1208 on: March 18, 2020, 08:35:15 PM »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1209 on: March 18, 2020, 08:53:02 PM »

I ran out to the Target right near where I work today to grab some stuff, I got a cart and wiped it down for the first time in my life and then didn't touch my face until I got back to work and used sanitizer. I've never been so germophibic in my life but that's where we are.

No kidding....same here. I mean, before all this I considered myself good at personal hygiene....washing hands etc etc....but man, I don't think I've ever washed my hands so much in my life.  :lol  Like, after ANY and EVERY interaction with a physical object I'm scrubbing  :lol   
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1210 on: March 18, 2020, 09:02:08 PM »

This is my life. I use paper towels to open doors.

WTH!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1211 on: March 18, 2020, 09:10:55 PM »
I do have to go on (2) job site visits tomorrow. Some of you know that I'm a Project Manager for Health Care projects....so all my job sites are in hospitals. One visit is in a pretty rural hospital about 1-1/2 away so I'm not real 'worried' about that one. But my other stop is at a very busy city hospital. Our System has protocols in place but still....I'm going to be one foot door opening fool tomorrow and my hands are going to fall off from the amount of hand sanitizer I'm going to lather up in every forty seconds.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Random Access Sloth
« Reply #1212 on: March 18, 2020, 09:44:32 PM »
I work as a courier for a medical laboratory. It's been an interesting couple of weeks. I've had to handle some test specimens for COVID-19, and a resident at one of my daily stops was actually diagnosed with Coronavirus. Currently there's I think 77 confirmed cases here in Richmond, with surely more to come.

I'm wearing a face mask everywhere I go, and I'm using plenty of hand sanitizer(I always do, but now more than usual) Pretty much everywhere I go I have to do a quick health screening before I can enter the building. Just a temperature check and the usual questions "Are you experiencing any symptoms? Have you been out of the country within the last month? etc. etc." Some places just flat out won't let you enter.

Minor inconveniences, but things are only gonna get worse from here on out. On the bright side, my job certainly isn't going anywhere.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1213 on: March 18, 2020, 10:28:38 PM »

This is my life. I use paper towels to open doors.

WTH!

I saw a lady in the grocery store using two of those plastic triangle flower bags over her hands to push her cart. If it wouldn't have been in really bad taste I would've taken a picture cause it was fucking hysterical.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1214 on: March 18, 2020, 10:44:12 PM »
I’m lucky to have a wife with a great job so over the past 10 years I’ve been a stay at home dad working part time.  I currently work at a sporting goods store and after work tonight I came home to my wife in tears. She flat out said “I don’t want you to go to work anymore.”

Wisconsin enacted a shutdown of all bars/restaurants on Tuesday and says any gatherings of 10 or more are not allowed with the caveat retail stores can remain open because “large numbers of people are present but generally are not within arms length of one another for more than 10 minutes”.  My employer emphatically sent an email out today underlining and italicizing “this does not affect us.” 

With spring sports, and most likely a lot of summer sports getting cancelled, the only thing we’re currently selling is fire arms and ammunition, because certain people are freaking out.

I told my wife I’m calling the store in the morning and telling them I don’t feel comfortable coming into the store anymore. My wife and son come first. If they fire me, they fire me.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1215 on: March 18, 2020, 10:46:35 PM »
I have to take my wife to the hospital for an outpatient procedure tomorrow. They called today and gave her the lowdown on how things will work.

We both have to have valid photo ID's.
They are going to ask us a whole series of questions related to the virus.
We have to social distance from each other the whole time we are there.
I can wait in the car?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Screw that. There's an office building about 5 minutes from there where most of IT is housed and it is where I sat for several years before moving to a building closer to home. A coworker was actually at the building today and said he was literally the only person in the entire building. His whole family is home so is finds working from home impossible. He joked he was actually practicing social distancing since the building was empty. I may pay him a visit to kill some time.

Such a weird world we are living in right now. Oh, I might go on a hunt for the most precious commodity, toilet paper.

beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1216 on: March 19, 2020, 03:20:51 AM »
This sucks.

This is a photo of the army carrying coffins outside of the Bergamo province (one of the most hit), because there is no more room in the cemeteries and they need to be cremated elsewhere.

I live attached to Milan but I have my social life in that province, where I know a lot of people from various concerts. So far none of my friends had an immediate relative afflicted (at least that I know of), but the situation there is beyond tragic, nothing like this ever happened since World War II.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #1217 on: March 19, 2020, 05:49:36 AM »
I guess I'll join in...

Although I completely agree with the idea of staying home in isolation to ride this out,
all the social media posts stating to "stay home, people" is slightly irritating.
I'm a Machinist and work in a large manufacturing firm. Of the 2000 employees at my work,
about 1500 are office workers so they are now working from home.
The rest of us HAVE to go to work. Until the plant shuts down temporarily, I still have to go to work.
So all these actors, entertainers, and workingfromhomers can chill and stop making me feel like a POS. ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1218 on: March 19, 2020, 06:13:35 AM »
I guess I'll join in...

Although I completely agree with the idea of staying home in isolation to ride this out,
all the social media posts stating to "stay home, people" is slightly irritating.
I'm a Machinist and work in a large manufacturing firm. Of the 2000 employees at my work,
The rest of us HAVE to go to work. Until the plant shuts down temporarily, I still have to go to work.
So all these actors, entertainers, and workingfromhomers can chill and stop making me feel like a POS. ;)

So I was ranting on this last night and I wasn't sure where to post it...but Lady Gaga posted that she is self quarantining.Really? Who fucking cares. Do you have it? Are there doctors orders?
No, so how about shutting the fuck up? You're staying home in your well stocked mansion and riding it out. Self quarantining….fuck you!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1219 on: March 19, 2020, 06:15:08 AM »
Not directed at anyone, just a reminder that while hand sanitizer is good (or perhaps more accurately, better than nothing) soap/water is a far greater defense against this virus.  Wherever possible peeps, hand wash.  Also, we luckily had a large box of surgical gloves on hand.  When I pumped gas the other day, I used a glove.  Same is going to be the case with any grocery carts, door handling, etc...  The idea of keeping some kind of towel handy (paper or otherwise), or just wearing gloves in the case of touching anything in public is not a bad one.  I'm trying to figure out what I can keep on hand for the instances (few as they may be for the coming weeks/months) of making a purchase that I can't just 'tap', and have to touch a POS keypad.  Honestly, I've been grabbing a random receipt from my wallet to put between my fingertip and the keypad.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #1220 on: March 19, 2020, 06:16:09 AM »
I guess I'll join in...

So I was ranting on this last night and I wasn't sure where to post it...but Lady Gaga posted that she is self quarantining.Really? Who fucking cares. Do you have it? Are there doctors orders?
No, so how about shutting the fuck up? You're staying home in your well stocked mansion and riding it out. Self quarantining….fuck you!

Woah dude, chill.

There are TONS of super impressionable people who might decide to self-quarantine because their favorite celebrities are advocating for it like this. I doubt she's saying "look it's SOOO easy to do so no one should ever complain" she's just saying she's doing it and taking it seriously. Have a pretzel, go hug a baby elephant or something and breathe bro.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1221 on: March 19, 2020, 06:17:12 AM »
I guess I'll join in...

Really, you're gonna waste your energy on that? Her fans probably care, man.

As for people complaining about going to work - suck it up, buttercups (that's meant with love)! Not everybody can just not go to work. In fact I'd say you're lucky to be able to continue working when so many people are out of work or have completely lost their jobs. I know several people whose bosses literally just said "better go try to file unemployment or get a job at Amazon."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1222 on: March 19, 2020, 06:20:24 AM »

Woah dude, chill.

There are TONS of super impressionable people who might decide to self-quarantine because their favorite celebrities are advocating for it like this. I doubt she's saying "look it's SOOO easy to do so no one should ever complain" she's just saying she's doing it and taking it seriously. Have a pretzel, go hug a baby elephant or something and breathe bro.

Really, you're gonna waste your energy on that? Her fans probably care, man.

Wow, tag team beatdown! :lol :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1223 on: March 19, 2020, 06:21:35 AM »

Online Adami

« Reply #1224 on: March 19, 2020, 06:21:57 AM »
Yes, but it's a beat down from at least 6 feat away, so you should be cool.
fanticide.bandcamp.com