Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 442693 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #875 on: March 14, 2020, 04:54:27 PM »
The more I read that article, the more upset it got me. This is from the article:

In early February, as headlines announced the coronavirus’ spread in China, Colvin spotted a chance to capitalize. A nearby liquidation firm was selling 2,000 “pandemic packs,” leftovers from a defunct company. Each came with 50 face masks, four small bottles of hand sanitizer and a thermometer. The price was $5 a pack. Colvin haggled it to $3.50 and bought them all.

He quickly sold all 2,000 of the 50-packs of masks on eBay, pricing them from $40 to $50 each, and sometimes higher. He declined to disclose his profit on the record but said it was substantial.

I get it that in 2020, this is something that people do. We see it with event tickets, new products, videos games, I get it, but it doesn’t make it any less annoying when it happens.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #876 on: March 14, 2020, 05:09:26 PM »
Took a nap, woke up at 5, waaaay too lazy at this point to even consider cooking, so I went to the Chinese restaurant a couple minutes from home. Never seen it empty at 6 on a Saturday before. The radio wasn't playing music for the first time I've noticed, instead it was loud public announcements about coronavirus :/ But, I have delicious food, so...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #877 on: March 14, 2020, 05:12:07 PM »
R.I.P. Kattlecox
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #878 on: March 14, 2020, 05:13:45 PM »
Who is Kattlecox?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: March 14, 2020, 05:17:45 PM »
R.I.P. Kattlecox

That's what the ladies call me. :heybaby:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Adami

« Reply #880 on: March 14, 2020, 05:20:30 PM »
R.I.P. Kattlecox

I figured you should go out on a high note.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: March 14, 2020, 05:22:01 PM »
R.I.P. Kattlecox

I figured you should go out on a high note.

Well, I'll be high, at least.  :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #882 on: March 15, 2020, 12:46:04 AM »
Yea TP and sanitizer have been non-existent north of L.A. for a week now.  Now food is starting to get thin.

This thing has shut down all pro sports.  It's gonna be a depressing few weeks at least. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #883 on: March 15, 2020, 08:23:43 AM »
Who is Kattlecox?
Sounds like Bull to me!........

;D

Offline JLa

« Reply #884 on: March 15, 2020, 08:46:52 AM »
@MirrorMask

The biggest paper in Norway published a message thread yesterday, supposedly between a Norwegian doctor and an Italian friend / colleague. In the chat, the Italian doctor told horrific things such as they were running out of equipment, most doctors are probably sick too, and that they had no chance to treat everybody. They had to make hard decisions on who to help and who to leave to die.

Does the Italian press publish similar stories?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #885 on: March 15, 2020, 08:53:16 AM »
The same thing was mentioned in Dutch newspapers. It’s a hospital’s worst nightmare.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #886 on: March 15, 2020, 09:01:02 AM »
Hoboken in NJ has a curfew in place. NYC cases quadruple since Wednesday.

My job is letting most staff work remotely, the rest of the staff will alternate days they work, I am expected to be there every day.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline JLa

« Reply #887 on: March 15, 2020, 09:06:48 AM »
The same thing was mentioned in Dutch newspapers. It’s a hospital’s worst nightmare.
It worries me a lot. The stories are from Northern Italy. Not some third world country with minimal resources. But from an area with excellent hospitals.

Norway can dig out an extra 800-1200 intensive care beds. Nationwide.

It's not gonna be enough.

If I was religious I'd start praying. But I'm not, so I stay home and hope for the best.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: March 15, 2020, 09:28:51 AM »
What's sad too, a lot of people are going to die alone without their loved ones by their side because of travel restrictions  :(

Online Adami

« Reply #889 on: March 15, 2020, 09:33:54 AM »
What's sad too, a lot of people are going to die alone without their loved ones by their side because of travel restrictions  :(

I had that thought too. My mom is almost 70 and in Israel. If something were to happen to her, I’d have to be in quarantine for 2 weeks after I get there before being able to see her.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #890 on: March 15, 2020, 09:43:43 AM »
The biggest paper in Norway published a message thread yesterday, supposedly between a Norwegian doctor and an Italian friend / colleague. In the chat, the Italian doctor told horrific things such as they were running out of equipment, most doctors are probably sick too, and that they had no chance to treat everybody. They had to make hard decisions on who to help and who to leave to die.

The situation is indeed dire, and the space in the hospital is quickly running out, even though no one has officially said that "We'll decide on who to give up". Even though when spaces are full, they kinda have to decide who to admit and who leave out...

New intensive care structures are being build in a desperate race against time (that's where people with breathing issues gets intubated), to be able to accomodate everyone, but it's a difficult battle.

The news here are mainly a war bulletin - reporting on everything that's going on, it's on social media that you can find stories from the "front lines" so to speak, and some are absolutely horrifying (in the province of Bergamo, 30 minutes away from Milan, the situation is very dramatic and the death toll is insanely high).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline JLa

« Reply #891 on: March 15, 2020, 09:57:57 AM »
 :(

I will link the conversation below, in case anyone is interested. Warning, this is scary reading.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Offline Lethean

« Reply #892 on: March 15, 2020, 10:15:53 AM »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #893 on: March 15, 2020, 10:22:24 AM »
I realized my family is pretty lucky to be working in the fields we do. My wife is a teacher, still being paid while off work, and thus able to stay at home with our kids. And I am in residential remodeling so will be working as long as the lumberyard and Home Depot are open. I only get paid for hours worked, so my ability to work is important to our family. I now recognize the importance of school closures, though I was against it earlier. I feel for the families who are either not bringing in an income, or struggling to find childcare so they are able to work.

As others have said, if you can help out a friend, family member, or a neighbor in any way, please do so. I know we need to practice SOCIAL DISTANCING but if you can run to the grocery store for someone, or watch someone's kids for a day so they can work, give it a consideration.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #894 on: March 15, 2020, 10:44:28 AM »

Yes it does, when the source isn't anonymous. The dinner-time newscasts are pretty tough every evening, but there's little use hiding the facts; almost everyone has a friend / relative / connection working in a hospital, and the reports are the same (inside the most critical areas): "we are running out of room and approaching the point of no return".

The press is being unusually straightforward. I guess a) it's become impossible to hide what's really happening. b) You REALLY have to make people realise that ignoring appropriate conduct leads to medical system failure which leads to, well , everybody knows what.

There's absolutely no evidence that what's happening right here is gonna happen elsewhere, nor that it won't. No one knows. Please, do what is sensible to do when you don't know: be prudent, help those in need, and follow instructions.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #895 on: March 15, 2020, 11:04:04 AM »
Schools closed, all restaurants, hotels and cafés closed, starting tomorrow and lasting at least three weeks.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #896 on: March 15, 2020, 11:55:36 AM »
After Chicago saw a night of partying in bars, clubs and restaurants for the St. Patrick's Day holiday weekend, the city just imposed restrictions on any business that sells alcohol:

1.  Establishments must limit their capacity to 50% of their standard capacity
2.  Establishments that sell alcohol must limit their capacity to 100 patrons.

I'm working from home, but naturally, my boss wants me to come in one day this week to handle paperwork and process checks and "remain flexible".  He plans to be in the office daily until he's told not to come in.  Whatever.  At least I don't have to go in 4 out of 5 days.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #897 on: March 15, 2020, 01:09:24 PM »
So the US has no clear directions on what to do?
Squ

Online Adami

« Reply #898 on: March 15, 2020, 01:12:00 PM »

We're gonna do the best stuff, you're not gonna believe it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #899 on: March 15, 2020, 02:15:13 PM »
After Chicago saw a night of partying in bars, clubs and restaurants for the St. Patrick's Day holiday weekend, the city just imposed restrictions on any business that sells alcohol:

I'm working from home, but naturally, my boss wants me to come in one day this week to handle paperwork and process checks and "remain flexible".  He plans to be in the office daily until he's told not to come in.  Whatever.  At least I don't have to go in 4 out of 5 days.

But wait, Devin Nunes is telling me to go out to a restaurant or bar with the family. I'm so confused.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/its-a-great-time-to-go-out-california-republican-devin-nunes-talks-about-life-amid-the-coronavirus-pandemic-2020-03-15?mod=MW_article_top_stories
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #900 on: March 15, 2020, 03:04:01 PM »
That's pretty much par for the course here in 'Murica....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #901 on: March 15, 2020, 03:52:07 PM »
""

I don't even know what to say to this. Is this real?
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline JLa

« Reply #902 on: March 15, 2020, 04:13:29 PM »
""

I don't even know what to say to this. Is this real?

Most likely yes. Northern Italy.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #903 on: March 15, 2020, 06:21:33 PM »
CDC COVID page:

"CDC recommends that for the next 8 weeks, organizers cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 people or more throughout the U.S"

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/large-events/mass-gatherings-ready-for-covid-19.html
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #904 on: March 15, 2020, 06:50:58 PM »

And now, all restaurants and bars are closed to patrons for at least 2 weeks. Drive-thru's and pickup service will remain open, but no going inside and eating anywhere here in Illinois.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #905 on: March 15, 2020, 06:54:38 PM »
I don't know how I feel about these laws closing restaurants and such. I might change my mind if I gave it some more thought, but on the surface I don't like it.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #906 on: March 15, 2020, 06:57:17 PM »
Bars in Cali just closed.  Restaurants limited.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #907 on: March 15, 2020, 06:59:40 PM »
I don't know how I feel about these laws closing restaurants and such. I might change my mind if I gave it some more thought, but on the surface I don't like it.

On one level I agree with this, but on another, people are fucking stupid enough to be going out to bars and fast food places in the first place, so I see why it's necessary.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #908 on: March 15, 2020, 07:15:48 PM »
What's wrong with goign through a fast-food joint? Aren't places encouraged to offer drive-thru/pick-up/delivery to help them stay afloat?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #909 on: March 15, 2020, 07:27:30 PM »
I'm not really talking about people using the drive through. Although even there, you do run a risk since the employees in fast food places are coming to work whether or not they're sick because they're not getting paid otherwise.