Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 439646 times)

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #770 on: March 13, 2020, 10:26:03 AM »
Imagine if we had this much paranoia every normal flu season. There's a fine line between concern and paranoia.

20,000 have already died from the flu, but the media didn't fearmonger that statistic.

Bingo.  And I get why some are pushing back on people making comparisons with the flu--yes, there are key differences.  But the point is to contextualize the numbers, and it is staggering how many simply don't have/understand that context.

True, but then what is the appropriate response?  Coronavirus can easily be seen as killing 20k....maybe even more.
So which is the appropriate response to a virus killing 20k?  Is it the "apathy" like we have to the Flu, or the "panic" like we have with a new strain?
I guess it should be a bit more and less for both.I get there will be more "panic" with a new and unknown virus, as we don't know how bad it might get.
This is nothing new....it happens all the time with new threats, both medical and non.

Perhaps a stronger response to the Flu is needed, and less panic for Coronavirus.  Maybe a stronger reaction/plan to Flu yearly would have us better prepared for the Coronavirus.  IMO 20k being killed by flu being "normal" is just as bad as a "panic" with a very similar virus.

EDIT: and now that I am 50, just recovering from surgery, with an elderly Mom who recently had a stroke....the effects of something like the Flu or Coronavirus, have a bit of a new meaning to me nowadays.  I couldn't give a fuck about the flu in my 20's or 30's.....inconvenience maybe in my 40's.....but now I can see where it could be devastating for some, and I feel that I need to think about others than just myself....hence me taking this a bit more seriously, and actually taking some precautions these past couple years.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 10:32:04 AM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #771 on: March 13, 2020, 10:39:09 AM »
Should we take some precautions here on DTF for members who get it? Like a surgical mask over their avatar pic or something?

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #772 on: March 13, 2020, 10:42:16 AM »
Should we take some precautions here on DTF for members who get it? Like a surgical mask over their avatar pic or something?

I've been saying we should quarantine Nick from the rest of the forum for years  :biggrin:
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #773 on: March 13, 2020, 10:43:04 AM »
My hand is in my pocket right now.  Does that help? 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #774 on: March 13, 2020, 10:44:45 AM »
Imagine if we had this much paranoia every normal flu season. There's a fine line between concern and paranoia.

20,000 have already died from the flu, but the media didn't fearmonger that statistic.

Bingo.  And I get why some are pushing back on people making comparisons with the flu--yes, there are key differences.  But the point is to contextualize the numbers, and it is staggering how many simply don't have/understand that context.

True, but then what is the appropriate response?  Coronavirus can easily be seen as killing 20k....maybe even more.
So which is the appropriate response to a virus killing 20k?  Is it the "apathy" like we have to the Flu, or the "panic" like we have with a new strain?
I guess it should be a bit more and less for both.I get there will be more "panic" with a new and unknown virus, as we don't know how bad it might get.
This is nothing new....it happens all the time with new threats, both medical and non.

Perhaps a stronger response to the Flu is needed, and less panic for Coronavirus.  Maybe a stronger reaction/plan to Flu yearly would have us better prepared for the Coronavirus.  IMO 20k being killed by flu being "normal" is just as bad as a "panic" with a very similar virus.

EDIT: and now that I am 50, just recovering from surgery, with an elderly Mom who recently had a stroke....the effects of something like the Flu or Coronavirus, have a bit of a new meaning to me nowadays.  I couldn't give a fuck about the flu in my 20's or 30's.....inconvenience maybe in my 40's.....but now I can see where it could be devastating for some, and I feel that I need to think about others than just myself....hence me taking this a bit more seriously, and actually taking some precautions these past couple years.

I think this article helps to contextualize the numbers.

https://nebraska.tv/news/local/health-officials-the-flu-is-still-the-greatest-threat-to-us

"GRAND ISLAND, Neb. — Local health departments are staying alert of the Coronavirus but they say the flu is still a big concern. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) the flu resulted in millions of illnesses and thousands of deaths annually since 2010.

"Last year, there were 35-million people who had symptoms of flu in the United States, so Influenza or flu as we commonly call it is by far a greater threat to us right now than the Coronavirus," Health Director for the Central District health Department, Teresa Anderson said.

Each season is different for the flu. For the 2019-2020 season, Anderson said people 48 and younger are most affected, even getting to the point they need to be hospitalized. She said the flu season normally begins in Fall but says going into February it's not too late to get a flu vaccination.

"We're still seeing a fair number of flu cases in our community and we're not nearing the end of the season," said Anderson.

Anderson said the flu numbers vary year-to-year depending on the severity of the virus and whether it's a good match with the vaccine. She said there are measures that health officials can do for people to not get sick.

"And a big part of it depends on how we as citizens protect ourselves, so if we have a year where folks are not getting immunized, we're going to see more flu, if we have a community where nobody is washing their hands then you're going to see more viruses in general," said Anderson.

By practicing a few simple rules at home, you can keep your family safe and prevent the flu from spreading.

"What seems to work best is good hand-washing techniques, staying as home when you're sick, covering your mouth when you cough or sneeze and getting enough rest, exercise, eating right, all those things that keep us healthy will help us through this and come out at the other end, healthier," said Anderson.

As for the Coronavirus, Anderson said local health departments in Nebraska are working together to be prepared."
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #775 on: March 13, 2020, 10:45:51 AM »
What about the psychological effects this is having on people? I am personally feeling such a sense of doom right now and I'm trying to overcome it. I put on a good face around my daughter who is 19 and is a bit freaked out. My wife also seems to be silently dealing with this internally.
I also fear losing my job over this. I work in a local flooring store and my boss has already talked about the thought of closing. She is panicking because a lot of her accounts are schools and no work is being done.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 01:41:43 PM by Tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #776 on: March 13, 2020, 10:56:52 AM »

Honestly, there isn't an easy answer.  The article DoubleAgent posted is helpful, IMO.  It should help us ask questions.  It isn't just about "convenience"--the point is that being more conscious of "social distance," more frequent and thorough handwashing, etc., NEED to be more at the forefront of our minds, not just because of COVID-19, but for other strains of related colds and flus, and other illnesses altogether.  And while more drastic measures MAY sometimes be called for, we just need to be careful and contextualize, is all I'm saying.  Please don't think I'm just brushing the situation aside.  I'm not (I am personally involved in decisions being made right now for several organizations I am involved with to shut things down and take other precautions that I think ARE justified).  But the reality is, societies simply canNOT afford to shut down for every potential threat.  It isn't just the economic inconvenience.  Take Tick's post for example:
I also fear losing my job over this. I work in a local flooring store and my boss has already talked about the thought of closing. She is panicking because a lot of her accounts are schools and no work is being done.

This isn't simply about convenience, or "oh no! The corporation isn't going to make its profit margins!"  It is about real people suddenly not being able to work.  What is the ripple effect of sudden mass unemployment?  That has far-reaching consequences that ripple out and create more problems, which in turn create more problems.  We just need to be careful, that's all.  It's just not as simple as "This is going to kill us all if the government does not make us all isolate from one another immediately." 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #777 on: March 13, 2020, 10:57:45 AM »
For example, it is not out of the question that we will reach a point that we don't only have a yearly cold and flu season, but also a corona one.
Corona viruses are already very prevalent, with a large portion of viruses we call "colds" actually being corona viruses. It just happens that this one manifests itself more as a respiratory thing than the typical nasal congestion from a cold.

Yes, you are right. Though corona viruses make up about 12% of the common cold cases (still, that means it is very common).

But I was talking about this strain, which has so many similar properties to the flu that there are concerns variations of it can become a more frequent thing. Especially as more and more people are getting it, which increases risks for mutated forms.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #778 on: March 13, 2020, 11:00:16 AM »
What about the psychological effects is having on people? I am personally feeling such a sense of doom right now and I'm trying to overcome it. I put on a good face around my daughter who is 19 and is a bit freaked out. My wife also seems to be silently dealing with this internally.

Oh man, that is the pits.  I hope everything turns out alright for you.  I think you bring up a good point about the psychological/emotional impact.  That may very well turn out being worse than the virus itself.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #779 on: March 13, 2020, 11:01:04 AM »

Honestly, there isn't an easy answer.  The article DoubleAgent posted is helpful, IMO.  It should help us ask questions.  It isn't just about "convenience"--the point is that being more conscious of "social distance," more frequent and thorough handwashing, etc., NEED to be more at the forefront of our minds, not just because of COVID-19, but for other strains of related colds and flus, and other illnesses altogether.  And while more drastic measures MAY sometimes be called for, we just need to be careful and contextualize, is all I'm saying.  Please don't think I'm just brushing the situation aside.  I'm not (I am personally involved in decisions being made right now for several organizations I am involved with to shut things down and take other precautions that I think ARE justified).  But the reality is, societies simply canNOT afford to shut down for every potential threat.  It isn't just the economic inconvenience.  Take Tick's post for example:

This isn't simply about convenience, or "oh no! The corporation isn't going to make its profit margins!"  It is about real people suddenly not being able to work.  What is the ripple effect of sudden mass unemployment?  That has far-reaching consequences that ripple out and create more problems, which in turn create more problems.  We just need to be careful, that's all.  It's just not as simple as "This is going to kill us all if the government does not make us all isolate from one another immediately."

We really are in agreement.  More attention to appropriate behaviors for Flu, better preparation and response by Govt, and less panic now seem to be the logical response.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #780 on: March 13, 2020, 11:03:28 AM »
We really are in agreement. 

Yeah, I mean it's often really hard to figure out somebody's tone in a written response, but I'm more just discussing and talking out my own thoughts than disagreeing with what you are saying at this point.  And it is helping crystalize my own thoughts on the matter.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #781 on: March 13, 2020, 11:31:42 AM »
What about the psychological effects is having on people? I am personally feeling such a sense of doom right now and I'm trying to overcome it. I put on a good face around my daughter who is 19 and is a bit freaked out. My wife also seems to be silently dealing with this internally.

Hey man, stay frosty.  I lost not only my job a few years ago, but my entire career.  I panicked when even a furniture store wouldn’t hire me cause I was overqualified.  I ended up waiting tables at fucking Cheesecake Factory until I started an entry level cold-calling gig in a new industry.  Nothing is scarier than not being able to support your Family.  I get it 100%.
But you need to stay cool, and be frosty so you can react appropriately if something happens.... cause it Hasn’t yet.... just in your head.  This will not last, schools will not stay closed forever.  But if you do lose your job, you CANT lose your head.  You will survive.
I have been through what you are only fearing, and it sucks, but it won’t kill you bro.  Stay frosty and PM me if you need to talk.  I know we disagree a lot here, but I don’t ever want anyone i know, even on a message board, to feel what I felt.  The panic and hopelessness.  So we can chat anytime if you need some perspective........(Perspective helps: When I was feeling at the bottom, I had coffee with a Father whose two kids my wife taught at school, and he is pretty connected in the area....was hoping for maybe a lead on a job, and I started to unload with my sense of hopelessness....and he says, "yeah, I get it man...last night my kids came in crying, and I just didn't know what to say"....and I then remebered his wife fucking recently died from brain cancer.  Fuck Me.  Instantly realized he would likely trade placed with me in an instant.  The guy is LOADED but lost his wife.  PERSPECTIVE.  I buckled down and started waiting fucking tables at 46 yrs old to support my family.  Things are WAY better now.  Got a great new career.).....  just stay frosty, for you And your Fam.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 11:44:01 AM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #782 on: March 13, 2020, 11:39:14 AM »
Eric, would you suggest that he stay frosty?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #783 on: March 13, 2020, 11:42:07 AM »
Unrelated to my current cold, the company has stated everyone work from home effective Monday unless you need to be at work -  globally.  My job does require me to be there and I share an office with my coworker.  We just had a team meeting and they want the two of us to rotate so we aren't in the office together starting monday it is him, then I work Tuesday and there goes the rotation with the expectation the other is online and helping as they can from home (aka playing video games and monitoring the work chat).

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #784 on: March 13, 2020, 11:46:26 AM »

Normally I would laugh at that, except (even though I am pretty sure Tick and I don't get along cyber wise) I can't help but feel empathy for him.
I have felt what he is feeling right now and it is downright scary.  I had someone give me perspective and it helped.  I want to do that for him.  So far his fears are not realized yet, so yes...stay FROSTY.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online Adami

« Reply #785 on: March 13, 2020, 11:53:21 AM »

Normally I would laugh at that, except (even though I am pretty sure Tick and I don't get along cyber wise) I can't help but feel empathy for him.
I have felt what he is feeling right now and it is downright scary.  I had someone give me perspective and it helped.  I want to do that for him.  So far his fears are not realized yet, so yes...stay FROSTY.

Oh your advice, while not usually super helpful (though very well intended, and could be helpful) is spot on. I just liked how often you said frosty. Not a word I see or hear often in this context.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #786 on: March 13, 2020, 11:59:42 AM »

Oh your advice, while not usually super helpful (though very well intended, and could be helpful) is spot on. I just liked how often you said frosty. Not a word I see or hear often in this context.

Maybe an 80's reference from Top Gun or maybe Aliens.  It was what that Father said to me.  It means to stay cool, calm, and collected in the face of pants-shitting adversity....and keep a cool outer demeanor because not only are your Family looking at you for strength and guidance, but it will help you recover and find a new opportunity if needed.

And I didn't realize you thought my advice is "not usually super helpful".  I didn't even think I gave much advice here...much less it being not helpful.
 Perhaps I need to re-evaluate.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 12:07:16 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online Adami

« Reply #787 on: March 13, 2020, 12:07:21 PM »

Maybe an 80's reference from Top Gun or something.  It was what that Father said to me.  It means to stay cool, calm, and collected in the face of pants-shitting adversity....and keep a cool outer demeanor because not only are your Family looking at you for strength and guidance, but it will help you recover and find a new opportunity if needed.

And I didn't realize you thought my advice is "not usually super helpful".  I didn't even think I gave much advice here...much less it being not helpful.

It's not personal. But, I'll tell you from a ton of experience, if anxiety is high, logic stops mattering. You spoke very logically and were 100% correct. I have no idea how anxious Tick is feeling. If it's reasonably moderate and such, it'll help. If the anxiety is a bit more? Logic tends to just not work as well. Nothing to do with you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #788 on: March 13, 2020, 12:15:23 PM »

Maybe an 80's reference from Top Gun or something.  It was what that Father said to me.  It means to stay cool, calm, and collected in the face of pants-shitting adversity....and keep a cool outer demeanor because not only are your Family looking at you for strength and guidance, but it will help you recover and find a new opportunity if needed.

It's not personal. But, I'll tell you from a ton of experience, if anxiety is high, logic stops mattering. You spoke very logically and were 100% correct. I have no idea how anxious Tick is feeling. If it's reasonably moderate and such, it'll help. If the anxiety is a bit more? Logic tends to just not work as well. Nothing to do with you.

Oh I get that 100%....because I was there and felt it.  I even experienced what Tick is only fearing, and it was brutal.  Sometimes a bit of perspective acts as a small splash of cold water on the face.....even if it is small....and allow the fog of panic to thin just a bit, so some logic can enter.  Even a little perspective can help you stay a little FROSTY, which can help.

I actually LOST my job and career.  That perspective might help Tick.  Just like Someone losing their WIFE helped me gain a bit of perspective when I lost a JOB.
I just felt bad that Tick was feeling some of what I felt.  I can still feel it today.  I use it actually.  When things arent going well, I remember that panic at the pit of my stomach, and I find perspective.  I just felt the need to reach out and offer help to someone feeling that same way.

Anyway, sorry about the derailment....back to the virus that ends humanity.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #789 on: March 13, 2020, 12:18:38 PM »
Seems to me that the law of averages suggests that a couple of celebrities are going to croak because of this. We can hope for politicians rather than actors and musicians, but I don't think viruses care much for the arts. And the truth is that a whole lot of the people we love and admire on this forum are getting on up in years. It'll be interesting to see how Americans react if Tom Hanks or some such person dies as a result of this. I think it'll really hammer home a respect for these sorts of things.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: March 13, 2020, 12:37:42 PM »
Seems to me that the law of averages suggests that a couple of celebrities are going to croak because of this. We can hope for politicians rather than actors and musicians, but I don't think viruses care much for the arts. And the truth is that a whole lot of the people we love and admire on this forum are getting on up in years. It'll be interesting to see how Americans react if Tom Hanks or some such person dies as a result of this. I think it'll really hammer home a respect for these sorts of things.

Not if Trump dies and honestly, he seems like he could have it from the people he's interacted with plus him denying taking a test yet others say he did (I heard this on CNN this afternoon).  But otherwise, yea I agree that we will eventually see people known and famous die from this.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #791 on: March 13, 2020, 12:46:59 PM »
Only a few more minutes before the current occupant goes in front of the cameras and will blame Obama for this mess.  All this in spite of having months to be more proactive, calling it all a hoax, and stating a while back that there were only fifteen affected here, and that the numbers were going down.  :facepalm:
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #792 on: March 13, 2020, 12:52:29 PM »

Hey man, stay frosty.  I lost not only my job a few years ago, but my entire career.  I panicked when even a furniture store wouldn’t hire me cause I was overqualified.  I ended up waiting tables at fucking Cheesecake Factory until I started an entry level cold-calling gig in a new industry.  Nothing is scarier than not being able to support your Family.  I get it 100%.
But you need to stay cool, and be frosty so you can react appropriately if something happens.... cause it Hasn’t yet.... just in your head.  This will not last, schools will not stay closed forever.  But if you do lose your job, you CANT lose your head.  You will survive.
I have been through what you are only fearing, and it sucks, but it won’t kill you bro.  Stay frosty and PM me if you need to talk.  I know we disagree a lot here, but I don’t ever want anyone i know, even on a message board, to feel what I felt.  The panic and hopelessness.  So we can chat anytime if you need some perspective........(Perspective helps: When I was feeling at the bottom, I had coffee with a Father whose two kids my wife taught at school, and he is pretty connected in the area....was hoping for maybe a lead on a job, and I started to unload with my sense of hopelessness....and he says, "yeah, I get it man...last night my kids came in crying, and I just didn't know what to say"....and I then remebered his wife fucking recently died from brain cancer.  Fuck Me.  Instantly realized he would likely trade placed with me in an instant.  The guy is LOADED but lost his wife.  PERSPECTIVE.  I buckled down and started waiting fucking tables at 46 yrs old to support my family.  Things are WAY better now.  Got a great new career.).....  just stay frosty, for you And your Fam.
Eric, I do appreciate this. I keep trying to remember that whatever happens I will overcome it. Its definitely an internal struggle at the moment. Yes, we do tend to go at each other so I appreciate your sincerity.
I will try and stay frosty! ;)

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #793 on: March 13, 2020, 12:56:50 PM »
 lol

Eric, I do appreciate this. I keep trying to remember that whatever happens I will overcome it. Its definitely an internal struggle at the moment. Yes, we do tend to go at each other so I appreciate your sincerity.
I will try and stay frosty! ;)

:tup
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Lethean

« Reply #794 on: March 13, 2020, 12:58:18 PM »
I hope this situation does indeed cause both governments and individuals to make some permanent changes to be better prepared for something like this in the future. 

But for those implying, or just thinking, that this is no big deal and is just like the flu, I have to disagree.  It's more infectious than the flu, and more people die from it or get extremely sick from it.  That doesn't mean the flu is no big deal, and as someone else pointed out, we should be taking that more seriously too. 

But I think there's a reason why events are being cancelled and people are being told to stay home and not gather.  And that reason isn't just panic.  Else we would have done it for other health scares in the past.  People were scared about SARS.  Schools and events didn't shut down across the world. A lot of money is indeed being lost here.  Money that no one wants to lose.  If this was just like the flu, the NBA season would still be happening, for example.  So yes - don't run around declaring that the end is near, but stay home and away from people to the extent you can.  That's not panic - that's good sense.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: March 13, 2020, 01:11:10 PM »
I'm a pretty patient, pragmatic guy when it comes to this stuff.  Not much panic - though I did cancel the trip to my parents "out of an abundance of caution" - and I don't get too bent with other people's reactions.  But....

The run at the grocery stores makes me laugh and not in a good way.   If you live in a house with electricity and running water, on what theory do you need bottled water?   On what theory do you need a month of paper towels?  If we ever did get to the point of mass quarantine, where do you think all those paper towels are going to go?  You're far better off going into your closet and taking out all those Winger, Warrant and Ratt t-shirts that a) don't fit you and b) you're never going to wear again, and using them as reusable, washable rags.  Else you're going to have a pile of trash in your front yard that will double down on the potential for viral/bacterial impact. 

My news did a piece on the local stores and showed a Costco with an entire wall of shelving bone empty, and I paused the TV and asked my wife: have you EVER been to a Costco that had an entire wall of goods that was the same thing?  What, were these people buying swivel chairs in bulk?   For Pete's sake; the one thing that SHOULD be ran on was the one thing I didn't see in any of the over-flowing carts moving out of the stores:  canned goods.   Everything else is in one form or another, a sign of panic.   (One cart they showed had three bundles of toilet paper and five or six bags of potato chips.  I literally put my head in my hands at that point.)
Me and my siblings all chatted and agreed not to go visit our 84 year old Dad so we don't pose a risk to him.  Funny you mention the bottled water thing.  Me and the wife were grocery shopping yesterday and were like... "Do we really need bottled water?"  I mean, we have a few cases always in the garage but what are the odds of the water and electric plants going down?  I would say with a possible mortality rate of less than 2% the odds of that happening are slim.  Back to the grocery store, I was surprised to see just about everything flying off shelves.  Except canned goods... :lol  Which REALLY makes no sense to me. 

So we had our first confirmed case at our refinery and they quarantined the whole crew on that unit,  I think 6 guys total.  They're rolling out contingency plans to deal with reduced staffing to keep the refinery operating.  On the Semi-positive side my company stock is low AF (Lowest I've ever seen) so I'm buyin!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #796 on: March 13, 2020, 01:14:45 PM »
Well - and I'm earning my iconoclast stripes here for sure - it is panic in the sense that it's a more extreme response in lieu of what should have or could have been more measured responses.   

I've said this before; we're (collective) great at the grand gestures, but we suck at the smaller things.  If more of us did take it seriously, and acted as if we took it seriously, we'd be better off. 

Trump's taking a lot of heat, rightfully, but there are far too many stories - here and across the globe - of citizens that aren't listening to those that are metaphorically yelling over the President.  I'm struck by the woman who didn't feel well, made the call to the local health authorities, was told to act a certain way and refused to listen.  She bullied her way to getting a test, was negative, and thereby denied someone else the chance to have a test that WAS more in line with the protocols.   AS WRONG AS IT IS, we can't really complain about the message coming from the top if we're not going to follow it anyway unless and until it is forced on us by these mass cancellations. 

One thing I heard that I liked:  "We each might want to start acting like we already have it." 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #797 on: March 13, 2020, 01:15:20 PM »
*frosty*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #798 on: March 13, 2020, 01:18:01 PM »
One thing I heard that I liked:  "We each might want to start acting like we already have it."

Well, yes and no.  "Yes" in terms of engaging in behaviors that would minimize and almost eliminate the risk of anyone around me getting it.  "No" in terms of, if I actually had it, I would stay home and isolate until given the green light.  But life does not go on hold like that for a hypothetical.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #799 on: March 13, 2020, 01:23:37 PM »
I just heard on Dr. Oz that 60% of Americans may get this virus. That seems like an alarming number of people.

Online Adami

« Reply #800 on: March 13, 2020, 01:25:38 PM »
I just heard on Dr. Oz that 60% of Americans may get this virus. That seems like an alarming number of people.

The numbers we have currently (at least in Murica) can't be close to accurate. The difficulty in getting an actual test is pretty insane. My friend (in LA) has a sister who went to the emergency room for Covid symptoms and they just gave her antibiotics and sent her home, no test or anything. There's a rumor (no idea how accurate it is) that they aren't trying too hard (or at least weren't) to make tests readily available because high numbers would make Trump look bad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #801 on: March 13, 2020, 01:26:40 PM »
From a CNN article

AMC Theatres announced on Friday that they are proactively reducing the maximum capacity of each of its theaters by at least 50%, according to a press release.

Beginning Saturday through April 30, the movie theater chain will cap ticket sales for each of its theatre’s auditoriums to an amount equal to 50% of the normal seating capacity.

Adam Aron, CEO and President of AMC Theatres, said “with this action, we are facilitating the ‘social distance’ between guests who still want to see movies on a big screen.”

The company is also enhancing its cleaning protocols by cleaning “hightouch” point areas at least once per hour, the company said.

Personally this is like a dream come true for me. Going to a movie theater gives me an ulcer (figuratively speaking). Too bad absolutely NOTHING looks interesting!  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Adami

« Reply #802 on: March 13, 2020, 01:32:58 PM »
National Emergency in Murica!

Does this mean every night is purge night?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #803 on: March 13, 2020, 01:34:03 PM »

The numbers we have currently (at least in Murica) can't be close to accurate. The difficulty in getting an actual test is pretty insane. My friend (in LA) has a sister who went to the emergency room for Covid symptoms and they just gave her antibiotics and sent her home, no test or anything. There's a rumor (no idea how accurate it is) that they aren't trying too hard (or at least weren't) to make tests readily available because high numbers would make Trump look bad.

Wait what, what healthcare professional gives antibiotics for flu like symptoms?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #804 on: March 13, 2020, 01:36:21 PM »
EDIT: my mistake, misinterpreted words.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"