Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 429719 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Coronavirus
« on: January 26, 2020, 05:32:15 AM »
Thoughts on the Coronavirus?

How serious is it and how bad do you think it could get? Does it have potential to be a Spanish flu situation, or more of a SARS situation?

EDIT BY BOSK1:  I am putting this link here in the OP so people can find it to track cases:  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 12:13:18 PM by bosk1 »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 05:36:04 AM »
All I know is if I hear "Baby Can You Dig Your Man" on the radio I am packing my shit and getting out.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 08:56:21 AM »
don't drink Corona's so I think I'm good.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 09:31:24 AM »
All I know is if I hear "Baby Can You Dig Your Man" on the radio I am packing my shit and getting out.

Captain Trips definitely crossed my mind as well  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 10:34:22 AM »
If at all it shows the definitive globalization of the world, for better (in some cases) or worse (such as this one).

I mean...
"There's been this outrbreak in China"
"Mh, sucks, at least China is far away and we're in no immed""BREAKING NEWS, POSSIBLE CASES IN AUSTRALIA AND EUROPE".

Geez.

The population of the cities being on lockdown amounts the population of Italy. Or, if you prefer, the population of California AND Florida combined. That's crazy.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 12:55:38 PM »
First suspected case in toronto this morning.

I think this will be like SARS - very scary for a short period of time,but much ado about nothing in the long run
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 01:01:13 PM »
What's scary is how this became a thing in that market place in China. WTF is going on over there and worse when China covers a lot of it up to not make public how bad it really is.  I think in the end, people will continue to die from it but I'm not sure how bad globally it will be as people will rush to contain it as we've seen with other deadly virus'.  Just stay safe everyone who is traveling through airports.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 01:05:20 PM »

Is containment even a realistic possibility at this point (as MirrorMask referenced) if something that serious happens? Where do we "get out" to?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 01:39:31 PM »
There has to be more than 2000 cases. Many more. There's no way it would've already spread on every continent otherwise. The reported spread and confirmed cases pattern is almost exactly the same as when swine flu broke out in Mexico.

Even among publicly confirmed cases the mortality rate isn't any higher than seasonal flu, so for the time being it's not a serious concern as long as mortality stays down.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 01:40:52 PM »
I still can't get past the fact that 35 million people in China are under quarantine.

Think about being quarantined in your home town.  Every public place shut down.  No end in sight.  Hospitals so over-run that they are fast tracking the building of more hospitals.

Imagine being a hospital employee, an EMT, a police officer - meaning you are in the middle of it almost 24/7.

Those thoughts are almost scarier (to me) than the virus itself.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 01:51:59 PM »
Just a zoomed out perspective...50,000 people in the US die from the flu, and nobody bats an eye...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 05:50:59 AM »
Just a zoomed out perspective...50,000 people in the US die from the flu, and nobody bats an eye...

Yeah, but something like 80% of those deaths are the elderly. So the flu only kills 10,000, healthy/young people in the US annually. We lose more people to that in car accidents by Jan 4 of a new year, so the flu statistic is kind of moot. The difference with what's going on in China is this is a rapidly spreading, deadly disease that has already overwhelmed Chinese resources, and the rate of infected could continue to increase exponentially. 18 cities are now under quarantine, and Chinese New Year has been postponed by the government, who's telling people to stay in their homes. China has said 81 people are no confirmed dead, and something tells me that number might be low-balled a bit. We know what we're dealing with in regards to the flu. We don't really know what we're dealing with here.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 07:32:31 AM »
I think the panicmode for these type of situations is actually a good thing. Even if it ends up being not that big a threat, no chances should be taken. When a non/poorly -treatable potentially lethal pathogen gets the opportunity to spread globally it can be devastating. Research has shown that there is a possibility of such viruses to arise. And some people I know tend to forget how vulnerable we are in absence of effective vaccines or antiviral compounds (or antibiotics in case of bacteria). Pathogens have devastated human populations in the past and that can happen again.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 07:52:09 AM »
There was a scare here in Sweden today with two possible cases of the Corona virus, but tests showed that it wasn't this virus.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 07:56:13 AM »

Is containment even a realistic possibility at this point (as MirrorMask referenced) if something that serious happens? Where do we "get out" to?

Nebraska, obviously.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 08:31:13 AM »

Nebraska, obviously.

Not Las Vegas?
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 08:59:06 AM »
You guys can come to my house. I'll make brisket.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 09:08:41 AM »
I live in Nebraska so logically I'm not as concerned.  ;D

Seriously though, I believe that the human population count is the root cause of climate change. There are just too many damn people living on this planet. We are due for a pretty drastic health event that helps cull the human population. Maybe this is it maybe it won't be. At some point the planet will wipe out a large amount of humans to right the ship.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 09:17:42 AM »
I live in Nebraska so logically I'm not as concerned.  ;D

Seriously though, I believe that the human population count is the root cause of climate change. There are just too many damn people living on this planet. We are due for a pretty drastic health event that helps cull the human population. Maybe this is it maybe it won't be. At some point the planet will wipe out a large amount of humans to right the ship.

Children of Men type of shit?  I can't say I disagree with you.  I already commented that in the climate change thread that the planet was fighting back (thru climate).  Maybe thru disease as well now.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 10:34:40 AM »
I can't be the only one who's been playing a lot of Plague, Inc. recently, right?

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 10:52:39 AM »

Nebraska, obviously.

Mayhap so... mayhap so.  Can you dig it?  :lol  Maybe this situation will give SK another idea.

Contagion came to mind too... this mirrors the movie plot a bit in the early stages.  What's making me pay attention is the possibility of being contagious during incubation, the wide range of incubation estimates (BBC story said 1-day or up to 14-days), and the quick mutation possibilities.  That could be why the numbers of infected are climbing so fast.  Two possible cases in Virginia also caught my eye...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 11:39:25 AM by vtgrad »
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 12:10:14 PM »
I can't be the only one who's been playing a lot of Plague, Inc. recently, right?

I played it two times, the first time I didn't do much, the second time I wiped the earth. Nothing much to do after that  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2020, 02:56:34 PM »
So does the Corona Virus blend with Lymes disease???

Seriously though, like someone mentioned it's probably a good thing if there's a little panic.  Might make folks take some extra precautions.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2020, 03:03:05 PM »
When I first saw the name at a glance and didn't read it properly, I thought it was a dinosaur or something.  That's my contribution to the thread.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2020, 12:01:14 PM »
So does the Corona Virus blend with Lymes disease??
:lol

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2020, 12:23:23 PM »
Horror scenario: imagine an outbreak like this in North Korea.

People dying like flies, they are not equipped to deal with it and they stubbornly refuse to ask for help. Maybe out of spite Kim Fat Jun sends a fake defector over to South Korea to infect them. Eventually when the disease is mowing down people worse than the plague they cave in and ask help to China or Russia, and they don't even know how to begin to contain the virus.

Geez, let's hope nothing bad happens over there, considering that with all the wacky nuclear tests they're having, one day they might accidentally create Godzilla.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2020, 01:15:54 PM »
China and possibly Russia would come to NK's rescue without hesitation.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2020, 01:16:56 PM »
Horror scenario: imagine an outbreak like this in North Korea.

People dying like flies, they are not equipped to deal with it and they stubbornly refuse to ask for help. Maybe out of spite Kim Fat Jun sends a fake defector over to South Korea to infect them. Eventually when the disease is mowing down people worse than the plague they cave in and ask help to China or Russia, and they don't even know how to begin to contain the virus.

Geez, let's hope nothing bad happens over there, considering that with all the wacky nuclear tests they're having, one day they might accidentally create Godzilla.

They don't let anyone out of the country. It would be a devastating event for the North Korean people but it would hardly affect the rest of the world.
And I do think China is downplaying how serious this is. They were forced to admit it after some time but if they had been able to contain it without much buss I'm pretty sure the world would have never known about this new virus.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2020, 01:21:54 PM »
One confirmed 40 miles from where I live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2020, 01:22:44 PM »
One confirmed 40 miles from where I live.

Where? I know two people in CT were getting checked out at Yale.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2020, 02:03:08 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2020, 02:43:41 PM »
I heard on an alternative news outlet that the number of sick in China was more like 90,000 not 2,000 like what's being reported by the government.  I don't know how much truth there is in that, I guess we'll have to wait and see how it behaves in western countries to know how bad it really is.  (thank God for a free press)

This is a little conspiracy theoryish, but there are also some saying that it came from a government run infectious diseases lab instead of from animals.

Of course there's no way to tell if any of this is true.

But, still not even close to the numbers of the flu every year.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2020, 03:45:23 PM »
Search "Event 201" and read the first webpage and the explanation of the exercise; this took place last October in NYC.  Take from it what you will and form your own opinions.  Little unsettling that this exercise was modeled after a Novel Corona Virus/SARS.  They've issued a statement about nCoV and the similarities to the exercise.

Those hospitals that they're building in WuHan look to be very basic and quite large for 4,409 confirmed cases (4,474 confirmed globally by Johns Hopkins...).

Take care of yourself and your family King... just use good judgment.

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2020, 05:46:41 PM »
My wife works at a hospital so it's a plus.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2020, 08:57:26 AM »
First case confirmed in Finland, a Chinese tourist from Wuhan.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.