Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 435037 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #8960 on: May 24, 2021, 07:03:39 AM »

Can someone approve me to post there, then???
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 06:34:11 AM by darkshade »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8961 on: May 24, 2021, 07:13:25 AM »
HAHAHA LMFAO.  This was from January/February 2020!!

This was a convenient pro-Trump meme that was floating around last July.

DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH PEOPLE!!!

:lmao:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8962 on: May 24, 2021, 07:14:18 AM »

My news sources have a slight liberal lean to them, and I don't recall seeing anything of the sort lately.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 10:12:47 AM by XJDenton »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #8963 on: May 24, 2021, 07:14:22 AM »

It's not pro-Trump, so much as it's highlighting how bad and uninformative and fear mongering the US media is. They lie, distort, distract, and keep the masses uninformed. The reaction is right, it's almost like you can't imagine those are the same media outlets spewing nonsense today.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8964 on: May 24, 2021, 07:15:29 AM »
1.  How would the Covid response have been/be different if there were no social media?

I'll cop to a bias right up front here, but I think it would have been far better.  I think that the information would have transmitted more slowly, but more accurately, and the accuracy would have largely cancelled out the slow.  I think the level of divisiveness would have been FAR less, and there would be a lot less "statements" being made through the compliance with the guidance.   I firmly believe that the social media does a lot to sort of "set" the expectation of how people should react.  Social media is all about conflict, and escalation, and "owning", and I think that aspect of the response would have been greatly suppressed.   (If you disagree, that's fine, but for one moment consider the difference between responding anonymously over a social media platform versus face-to-face in person.)

2.  How would the Covid response have been/be different if there had been no technology like Zoom, Uber Eats, Amazon.  No online work meeting platforms, no delivery services, no grocery/liquor/weed store pick up.

The response would have been FAR, FAR less effective.  We - humans (not "Republicans" or "Democrats) - have a tendency to get stale on things.  We saw as the COVID response went on that people's willingness to sacrifice waned over time; that would only have been worse if these services weren't there to cushion our sacrifice AND cushion the impact to those businesses greatly affected by the virus.  I'm thinking of all the more restaurants that would have gone out of business if they couldn't pivot to a take out model, and all the additional jobs that would have been lost had they closed.

3.  How would the Covid response have been/be different if North America had been more aware/concerned about Covid-19 in December 2019?

I don't think it would have been materially different in scope, it just might have started sooner.  That may have prevented some of the larger, early hotspots, such as those in Washington state and New York.  It would have potentially brought us the vaccines that much sooner as well. 

Offline darkshade

« Reply #8965 on: May 24, 2021, 07:16:39 AM »
1.  How would the Covid response have been/be different if there were no social media?

Well, take a look at the US in the late 1960s for your answer.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #8966 on: May 24, 2021, 07:19:21 AM »

My news sources have a slight liberal lean to them, and I don't recall seeing anything of the sort lately.

You should include news sources in your info diet that cover a more broad spectrum of politics. Left, right, "center", fringe.
Humans lie and deceive, doesn't matter who they support.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 10:11:16 AM by XJDenton »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #8967 on: May 24, 2021, 07:20:58 AM »

Are you saying those are faked news headlines???

Not sure you understand what 'meme' means.

Offline darkshade

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8969 on: May 24, 2021, 08:09:27 AM »

Are you saying those are faked news headlines???

Not sure you understand what 'meme' means.

Fair enough... it's not exactly pro-Trump, nor a meme.  But you drop it in here with no context or personal commentary like it's a current view of the media.  That's what I was talking about when I said "do your own research".  And if your point is to highlight media bias and how bad/uninformative they are, maybe that deserves a different thread if that's REALLY what you want to highlight and discuss.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Skeever

« Reply #8970 on: May 24, 2021, 08:28:52 AM »
Now that we are going out more, kid is in daycare, and so on, I'm discovering that my immune system is just totally rocked. I've had runny nose, itchy throat, coughing, and so on, for like a month now. I guess that's not too much different than it was before all of this and it is allergy season as well but I can't help but feel like I've gotten a rude awakening.

My allergies have been awful this spring - the pollenating season was later than usual.  But that is correct - my household went without even a cold for a full year.   The my daughter brought 2-3 colds home from school in a month after the school went back to full, in-person learning for 5 days a week and parents were back to shuffling their sniffling kids off to school.

Yeah I mean, we've done the same. The fact is, you have no choice. Unless a child has a temperature and at least 3 visible symptoms where I live, they can't be send home, even under the current precautions. So we're all sick, all the time. Hoping my immune system gets its ass back in gear soon because like you I had not been sick at all in over a year and suddenly having a cold was a lot tougher to deal with than I expected.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #8971 on: May 24, 2021, 08:30:50 AM »
*snip*
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 11:52:08 AM by Skeever »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8972 on: May 24, 2021, 10:13:08 AM »
Tap tap tap.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #8973 on: May 24, 2021, 12:14:31 PM »
Gramps finally got his second dose of the vaccine, I can finally relax a little more. Now waiting for my parents to get their first dose soon. It looks like I'll get mine around the end of this year at this pace.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8974 on: May 24, 2021, 12:28:06 PM »
NJ is removing the mask mandate on Friday

Offline Skeever

« Reply #8975 on: May 24, 2021, 12:51:12 PM »

Kinda unreal. Psychologically, I don't know if I'm ready. My wife hasn't been out in almost a year due to her being at risk, and I think it will be doubly tough for her as she is not even used to going out to the stores at all. Though I suppose there's nothing stopping anyone from wearing a mask if they still want to.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8976 on: May 24, 2021, 12:57:05 PM »

Kinda unreal. Psychologically, I don't know if I'm ready. My wife hasn't been out in almost a year due to her being at risk, and I think it will be doubly tough for her as she is not even used to going out to the stores at all. Though I suppose there's nothing stopping anyone from wearing a mask if they still want to.

I think it'll be weird, but I'm ready to take it off personally.  But you are right, nothing from stopping you from wearing it and also stores can still require it, plus it'll be required for public transportation. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8977 on: May 24, 2021, 01:21:11 PM »
The Wal Mart DC I work at is allowing those who have been vaccinated not to wear a mask if they want to.  It's crazy how many are not vaccinated yet.  I think there's a small % that are vaccinated and wearing masks freely here.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8978 on: May 24, 2021, 01:24:00 PM »
I haven't worn my mask indoors since the CDC made their announcement. If the business isn't explicitly stating I need to wear one, I don't intend to going forward. It was weird at first, but I adjusted quickly.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8979 on: May 24, 2021, 01:26:42 PM »
We started letting our vaccinated employee be without a masks at work. Very few have stopped wearing the mask. Most continue to wear them in public areas or when meeting with clients.

I continue to wear mine for now.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8980 on: May 24, 2021, 01:36:10 PM »
I have a funny feeling I'm going to be walking around with a mask around my wrist for the next few weeks.  :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8981 on: May 24, 2021, 01:37:57 PM »
Except for vacation days, I've been in the office every day since March 2020.  Some days, I'm the only one or one of only two.  It's an office that typically had about 20 people before last March.  There's one other guy who's here almost every day, and we have a few who are routinely here on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Others are sporadic, and there are about 5 of the 20 whom I haven't seen at all since last March.  Almost no one wears a mask in the office.  Most folks from other offices in the building wear masks in the common areas, but they've never been required.

We've had indoor dining here for a few months (following a short discontinuance from around Thanksgiving until late January I think).  Dodger Stadium will be at full capacity starting June 15 (I assume masks will still be required but probably won't be strictly enforced).  I think there's speculation that the Lakers/Clippers may be near or at full capacity if they make it deep into the playoffs.  My daughter is supposed to be on campus full time for her senior year starting in August.  Haven't heard anything about masks in grocery stores and such places.  Assume that will be required by the stores for at least a while after it is no longer required by law.

And yet I still see people driving in cars, by themselves, with the windows up, and wearing masks.  Utterly pointless.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8982 on: May 24, 2021, 02:01:40 PM »
And yet I still see people driving in cars, by themselves, with the windows up, and wearing masks.  Utterly pointless.

Saw someone last week in a convertible, top down, with mask on.  Whatever  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8983 on: May 24, 2021, 02:02:45 PM »

Saw someone last week in a convertible, top down, with mask on.  Whatever  :lol

Well, that's to keep the bugs out.  ;)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8984 on: May 24, 2021, 02:09:43 PM »
If I was out driving for Uber, I might keep a mask on without passengers in the car.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8985 on: May 24, 2021, 02:28:43 PM »

I've done it a couple of times when out running errands where I would have it on leaving one store, and had a short trip to somewhere else, and just couldn't be bothered to take it off in the car in between.  And I've done it a couple of other times just to deliberately troll anyone who might see and think "WHAT IS HE DOING?!  THAT IS UTTERLY POINTLESS!"  :lol

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8986 on: May 24, 2021, 02:32:21 PM »
The Wal Mart DC I work at is allowing those who have been vaccinated not to wear a mask if they want to.  It's crazy how many are not vaccinated yet.  I think there's a small % that are vaccinated and wearing masks freely here.

How is the company overseeing compliance? Do the employees have to show their card to not wear a mask?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8987 on: May 24, 2021, 02:34:13 PM »

I've done it a couple of times when out running errands where I would have it on leaving one store, and had a short trip to somewhere else, and just couldn't be bothered to take it off in the car in between.  And I've done it a couple of other times just to deliberately troll anyone who might see and think "WHAT IS HE DOING?!  THAT IS UTTERLY POINTLESS!"  :lol

Depending on when too: I have come out of Home Depot before, got in my truck and for whatever reason didn't take the mask off until I was out on the main road going home.  I never found the masks to be so onerous that I had to rip it off the second I got into the car.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8988 on: May 24, 2021, 02:35:37 PM »
Just to be clear, my example was of someone driving in the NJ turnpike, there's no stop and go shopping there.  That's legit long distance driving.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #8989 on: May 24, 2021, 02:38:17 PM »
also if one is to adher to strict mask protocols (which I don’t it’s too much of a hassle) my understanding is you’re supposed to wash your hands before putting it on (and after), go off to do all your errands and never touch your mask until you’re ready to take it off and wash your hands immediately.   Again I never do that I just keep one in the car,  put it on before going into a place and swap it out every couple days. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8990 on: May 24, 2021, 02:38:56 PM »

How is the company overseeing compliance? Do the employees have to show their card to not wear a mask?

The honor code. I don't think legally a company can ask.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #8991 on: May 24, 2021, 02:47:01 PM »

At my company we're going back to full occupancy and no mask required for vaccinated people.  100% honor system = no one will wear a mask, regardless of their vaccination status.

I mean who really believes that the people who are refusing to get vaccinated are going to actually honor such a system?  (protip: They Won't) 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8992 on: May 24, 2021, 02:49:16 PM »
I was just wondering. We go maskless for vaccinated associates next week. That means two more days for me in a mask.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #8993 on: May 24, 2021, 02:51:44 PM »
I was just wondering. We go maskless for vaccinated associates next week. That means two more days for me in a mask.

Yeah, and how many of those teenagers and 20-somethings that work there do you think give a single fuck about getting a vaccine?  1 or 2 out of every 10? 

But I'll bet they ALL come in with no masks starting on Tuesday. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8994 on: May 24, 2021, 03:05:53 PM »
Well, that's just it. But it's not really the teenagers' fault. Ultimately it's a choice their parents make. But there's plenty of adult associates that aren't vaxxed and will be maskless.

I know what's coming..no masks for everyone, but I was just curious how companies would manage compliance.