Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 443098 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #8820 on: May 13, 2021, 08:01:14 PM »
Sooner or later we had to take this step. I'm excited for it but a little concerned it will lead to another surge.

Hoping for the best.

Exactly.  I'm hoping it works out well for the US... cuz it means good things on the horizon for us up here (I still maintain we're 2-3 months behind where your at with vaccine outcomes).

Also, jingle.kids got their first shots yesterday.  :fistpump:  By August sometime (at the latest) the jingle.family should be fully vax'd.

How old are your kids?

20 ... 21 in a few months.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8821 on: May 13, 2021, 09:31:58 PM »
I'm done, wife is done, and got 18 year old scheduled for his second, and 16 year old for his first.  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #8822 on: May 13, 2021, 11:46:00 PM »
Back to a previous conversation you and I were having Chad, research is backing up the British and Canadian approaches of having a longer gap between doses: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/may/14/delay-in-giving-second-jabs-of-pfizer-vaccine-improves-immunity

So not only does it allow more people to get their first jab quickly, it also likely improves the effectiveness of the vaccine.

Also I mentioned before that the UK has taken a risk-focused approach to the rollout, starting with the eldest and most vulnerable and then working down through the population. Completely makes sense to me and I've just got used to it, so it does just seem weird to me that young people in their teens and early 20s are already being vaccinated in north America.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8823 on: May 14, 2021, 04:42:04 AM »
Rich, in America we also cascaded from the elderly through the youth. The 65+ started in February here.  I think maybe the rollout started earlier.

Maybe the vaccine was approved earlier than in GB?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8824 on: May 14, 2021, 04:47:03 AM »
Back to a previous conversation you and I were having Chad, research is backing up the British and Canadian approaches of having a longer gap between doses: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/may/14/delay-in-giving-second-jabs-of-pfizer-vaccine-improves-immunity

So not only does it allow more people to get their first jab quickly, it also likely improves the effectiveness of the vaccine.

:tup :tup.

I think the US is able to get down to the 12-year old range because they have an abundance of supply.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8825 on: May 14, 2021, 07:57:34 AM »
Also I mentioned before that the UK has taken a risk-focused approach to the rollout, starting with the eldest and most vulnerable and then working down through the population. Completely makes sense to me and I've just got used to it, so it does just seem weird to me that young people in their teens and early 20s are already being vaccinated in north America.

I don't think it's reliable to look at vaccination rates on a national scale here.  It's just too state-controlled for that to be of any real analytical use.   My state - Connecticut - leads the nation in vaccination rates.   Over 70% of the population has at least one dose, and over 55% have two doses.  I can't find the cite, but I recall on the news not long ago, we're almost to or in the 90% bracket for over 65.    We're now wide open for 12-18 year olds.  It's the natural progression, if you ask me, and if you believe the higher end of Fauci's herd immunity predictions - 70% to 90% - then we NEED children to be vaccinated.   Something like 22% of the population is in that age bracket.

And by the way, not for nothing, but while I'm a HUGE fan of Fauci, and respect him immensely, this is not helping his - or the general - cause.  DO NOT claim "facts!" and "science!" then tailor your message to the narrative.  This undermines confidence and does NOTHING to convince those that are skeptical that what you say is objective truth. 

Offline Harmony

« Reply #8826 on: May 14, 2021, 08:39:32 AM »

And by the way, not for nothing, but while I'm a HUGE fan of Fauci, and respect him immensely, this is not helping his - or the general - cause.  DO NOT claim "facts!" and "science!" then tailor your message to the narrative.  This undermines confidence and does NOTHING to convince those that are skeptical that what you say is objective truth.

My response here is not meant to defend Fauci.  I too respect the man, especially when his career in total is taken into account.  But I think anyone who had been in the position he was in during this pandemic would've fallen into the same traps.  The problem isn't just about "facts!" and "science!" here.  Covid-19 as a virus is simply unlike any other virus we've had to deal with.  So "facts!" and "science!" are more difficult to gage because typical knowns are not knowns here.  It doesn't surprise me at all that herd immunity in this instance isn't going to look like herd immunity in measles or pertussis.  Kids, for example, just don't show as high of infection and mortality rates.  This is highly unusual.  And these factors around herd immunity are bound shift as vaccines are rolled out at different paces throughout the world and as differing variants come into play.

Fauci has undoubtedly been under enormous pressure.  Every word he utters is going to be parsed and scrutinized as though he were writing the 10 commandments.  And as much as doctors like to play god, he isn't one.  I myself have been highly critical of the way public health messaging has been put out there over the past 18 months.  What I'm seeing now seems to be an actual coming around to the "science" and "facts" and being driven less by political pressures.  And that's a good thing.  There is still plenty of time to fuck it up though.   :-\

FTR, this article from December you've linked by Dr. Vinay Prasad is one that I've read before.  I love Prasad's podcast, Plenary Sessions.  Prasad is one of the physicians who convinced me to look at issues like masks and school closures in a very different way and I respect him almost as much as I do Dr. Monica Gandhi.  However, yesterday on Twitter he posted a series of Tweets attacking a fellow physician who challenged him on various Covid topics over the past few months.  Prasad has been a vocal critic of Twitter wars and has long eschewed that platform as trash, many times threatening to quit himself, and being very critical of fellow doctor's who post there for "likes" and attention.  So I found his exchanges on that platform very troubling in light of what he has said before.  Perhaps his beef with the guy was legit, I don't know.  I didn't follow much of it.  But in one fell swoop everything I thought I knew about the guy shifted once I saw his behavior on Twitter.  Very sad to see this kind of behavior I would expect from high schoolers come from physicians, TBH.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8827 on: May 14, 2021, 08:41:37 AM »
My entire family is now vaccinated.

So of course, now that we can relatively safely go anywhere and do almost anything, we have the gas shortage to deal with.  Fuck me sideways.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8828 on: May 14, 2021, 09:01:17 AM »

My response here is not meant to defend Fauci.  I too respect the man, especially when his career in total is taken into account.  But I think anyone who had been in the position he was in during this pandemic would've fallen into the same traps.  The problem isn't just about "facts!" and "science!" here.  Covid-19 as a virus is simply unlike any other virus we've had to deal with.  So "facts!" and "science!" are more difficult to gage because typical knowns are not knowns here.  It doesn't surprise me at all that herd immunity in this instance isn't going to look like herd immunity in measles or pertussis.  Kids, for example, just don't show as high of infection and mortality rates.  This is highly unusual.  And these factors around herd immunity are bound shift as vaccines are rolled out at different paces throughout the world and as differing variants come into play.

Fauci has undoubtedly been under enormous pressure.  Every word he utters is going to be parsed and scrutinized as though he were writing the 10 commandments.  And as much as doctors like to play god, he isn't one.  I myself have been highly critical of the way public health messaging has been put out there over the past 18 months.  What I'm seeing now seems to be an actual coming around to the "science" and "facts" and being driven less by political pressures.  And that's a good thing.  There is still plenty of time to fuck it up though.   :-\

FTR, this article from December you've linked by Dr. Vinay Prasad is one that I've read before.  I love Prasad's podcast, Plenary Sessions.  Prasad is one of the physicians who convinced me to look at issues like masks and school closures in a very different way and I respect him almost as much as I do Dr. Monica Gandhi.  However, yesterday on Twitter he posted a series of Tweets attacking a fellow physician who challenged him on various Covid topics over the past few months.  Prasad has been a vocal critic of Twitter wars and has long eschewed that platform as trash, many times threatening to quit himself, and being very critical of fellow doctor's who post there for "likes" and attention.  So I found his exchanges on that platform very troubling in light of what he has said before.  Perhaps his beef with the guy was legit, I don't know.  I didn't follow much of it.  But in one fell swoop everything I thought I knew about the guy shifted once I saw his behavior on Twitter.  Very sad to see this kind of behavior I would expect from high schoolers come from physicians, TBH.

I'm pretty sure I don't disagree with you there.  There's certainly a lot of context to my comment.  I think I'm more saying "look, if one is going to put their faith in hard facts and hard science, do it, and if we're going to allow even our experts to tailor to the message, then we can't really fault others for either not taking it on faith, or doing their own parsing."

I've already said, I'm a fan of Fauci; he's a towering figure, no question.  But if one -  not me - is already looking for cracks in the expertise, that does nothing to close them for the skeptics.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8829 on: May 14, 2021, 09:24:05 AM »

So of course, now that we can relatively safely go anywhere and do almost anything, we have the gas shortage to deal with.  Fuck me sideways.

You guys are right in the thick of it too, my $4.30/gallon is looking pretty damn good right now...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8830 on: May 14, 2021, 09:46:05 AM »
I'm crying about $2.85 per gallon.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8831 on: May 14, 2021, 09:53:29 AM »
I remember paying $5.20+ when I was in college. My roommate had a heavily modified, supercharged Trans Am that got about 6.5mpg. He didn't drive for weeks  :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8832 on: May 14, 2021, 10:53:04 AM »

At the low point last year we got a bit below that. Granted I think here about a buck of it is taxes.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8833 on: May 14, 2021, 12:52:21 PM »

You guys are right in the thick of it too, my $4.30/gallon is looking pretty damn good right now...

F--- that.   Man.  I'm in CT, which taxes the CRAP out of stuff like gas, cigs, and liquor, and I filled the tank on my wife's car just last night with 93 octane for $3.39 (that means Massachusetts is likely about $3.19 or so).   

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #8834 on: May 14, 2021, 01:20:36 PM »
I paid 2.89/gallon to fill up my tank this morning

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8835 on: May 14, 2021, 01:23:43 PM »
I paid $3.10 eariler this week, saw some signs that show 3.05 to 3.15 driving today.  It seems there's not really much to worry about, long term, since the pipeline is back in operation.  I didn't see any lines or people trying to grab as much gas as possible at all this week in NJ, just a bit of a price increase.

I still remember the days of my first year driving with $0.99 per gallon.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8836 on: May 14, 2021, 02:08:48 PM »

At the low point last year we got a bit below that. Granted I think here about a buck of it is taxes.

As well as all that traffic.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8837 on: May 14, 2021, 02:13:27 PM »
I don't remember a ton of traffic on the SF side, but we were definitely in it one afternoon driving by the Oakland Coliseum.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8838 on: May 14, 2021, 08:42:16 PM »
I don't remember a ton of traffic on the SF side, but we were definitely in it one afternoon driving by the Oakland Coliseum.

That stretch of 880 by the Coliseum is the worst of it all in the area. I actively avoid it even though it's my shortest route to and from work.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8839 on: May 14, 2021, 08:52:16 PM »

That stretch of 880 by the Coliseum is the worst of it all in the area. I actively avoid it even though it's my shortest route to and from work.

My oldest son wanted to see the world's oldest lightbulb in Livermore, and then my youngest son just had to go see the Nike store in San Leandro.

I think that was the only time we really encountered traffic during our trip.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #8840 on: May 14, 2021, 10:10:39 PM »
Went into the office today for the first time in about 2 1/2 years so I could get a new laptop. Had lunch with my best friend who I had not seen since March of last year. That was at our friends funeral.

I didn't get all the people saying how it felt weird to be out and eat in a restaurant. Well, we both acknowledged that it felt weird and we have had lunch together probably hundreds of times over the years.

We're planning a summer get-together and cookout at his house so we can try to reconnect finally. Both our families are fully vaccinated so we aren't quite as worried.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8841 on: May 15, 2021, 12:26:23 AM »
Random post on FB...

"Just got my vax...now wandering around Rite Aid drawing dicks for Bill Gates.." :lol

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #8842 on: May 15, 2021, 07:47:37 AM »
Random post on FB...

"Just got my vax...now wandering around Rite Aid drawing dicks for Bill Gates.." :lol

Worthless fun fact - I went to and graduated in the same class as Melinda French-Gates. That is all....

Offline emtee

« Reply #8843 on: May 15, 2021, 04:35:53 PM »
Several places have lifted mask restrictions. Wal-Mart is one. The wife and I got a few supplies today...maskless. What a WEIRD feeling. 75% of the people were still wearing them. I swear, we felt like criminals or something. It's crazy how conditioned we've become. Gonna take a long time to feel normal without a mask.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8844 on: May 15, 2021, 04:36:33 PM »
Several places have lifted mask restrictions. Wal-Mart is one. The wife and I got a few supplies today...maskless. What a WEIRD feeling. 75% of the people were still wearing them. I swear, we felt like criminals or something. It's crazy how conditioned we've become. Gonna take a long time to feel normal without a mask.

Indeed! I see myself still wearing one inside places for a while but am adjusting to being outside without one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8845 on: May 15, 2021, 07:33:20 PM »
NJ has said they will wait a few weeks to lift the mandate, but funny how I saw someone I know on Facebook posted about not going to wear a mask and not being vaccinated and being "confused" by Biden's tweet. Then at the grocery store today, I saw one person (who I haven't seen in like forever) without a mask on in the store and guess who it was?  :lol I just avoided her and didn't say hi.  Who knows if she recognized me as it's been so long and I was masked, but I really didn't want to do a stop and chat regardless.  I kind of don't care about what people choose to do at this point, but just found it very ironic. 

Because the state still has the rule, I will follow, but I'm ready to unmask.  I've been mostly living my life like normal for a month now, other than the mask.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8846 on: May 15, 2021, 08:51:16 PM »
It's funny, I got my job at Whole Foods during the pandemic, and I'm wondering if I'll even recognize any of my coworkers mask less.  :lol

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #8847 on: May 16, 2021, 01:18:03 PM »
the US-Canada the border is still partially closed, only commercial trucks and essential travel is allowed but it will have to reopen eventually.  PBS newshour just did a rundown of the situation as it stands: https://youtu.be/42ta6VZu7vA

edit: transcript here https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/vaccinations-are-picking-up-is-it-time-to-reopen-the-us-canada-border?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=pbsofficial&utm_campaign=newshour&utm_content=1621188061

« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 01:29:58 PM by XeRocks81 »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8848 on: May 17, 2021, 09:36:06 AM »
The Wal Mart distribution center I work at and all others are telling employees tomorrow that those fully vaccinated can go maskless at work starting tomorrow.  My company is asking us to wear masks still until, they hash out our policy this week. They have to make a decision quick because I know damn well there will be friction.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8849 on: May 17, 2021, 09:47:22 AM »
My wife and I ate at a restaurant for the first time in over a year.  It was really weird.

Yesterday, I spent way too much time and way too much money at Barnes & Noble.  Everybody there was still masked, though.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #8850 on: May 18, 2021, 10:16:09 PM »
Say what you want about coincidences, but Senator Paul publicly exposing and linking Fauci to Wuhan last week for all to see and hear,
and then suddenly all these roll backs on mask policies come around right after, when we haven't gotten anywhere near the amount of vaccinations we were told we needed to start going back to normal, is a little bit odd..
and also "look! look at Israel blowing stuff up omgz!"
but that's none of my business.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8851 on: May 18, 2021, 11:36:06 PM »
I had an odd encounter today. Met my boss's FiL on a job site today, and he was a very gregarious man, and when introduced, we both did what men generally (at least prior to 2020) do in such a situation. We extended our hands to each other. We pulled back for a second in hesitancy, then both laughed, and awkwardly shook each other's hand. It was my first handshake in a year.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8852 on: May 19, 2021, 06:36:25 AM »
That's funny ... I precisely remember my last handshake.  It was the first week of March last year, and I'd just hosted a group of contacts from my customer to a quarterly review and dinner.  As we were all departing the restaurant, I shook the hand of my primary contact, and even thought 'hmmm... I probably shouldn't have done that'.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8854 on: May 19, 2021, 07:38:31 AM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careersandeducation/9-vaccinated-yankees-team-and-staff-tested-positive-for-covid-here-s-how-that-happens/ar-BB1gRTlF

To me, and as the article states, this actually shows that the vaccines work.  No one is really sick, 2 have mild illness the rest are asymptomatic and the ones with the mild cases likely were the spreaders.  It also, to me, builds a case of why just about everyone should get the vaccine because if you didn't and you were around the Yankees, you might have gotten very sick.