Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 433782 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #8120 on: April 09, 2021, 08:13:48 AM »
All these talks about vaccine ingredients reminded me of a student that got people to sign a petition for banning water:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/501907/14-year-old-who-convinced-people-ban-dihydrogen-monoxide

Yup. The general populace in the US is woefully inadequately educated in the sciences, and are incapable of even beginning to comprehend the science behind vaccines. Them making a decision based on 'their own research', while their choice, is laughable at best. I have a cursory knowledge of the sciences, and a sprinkling of introductory college science courses at a respected institution, and still can't even begin to wrap my head around exactly what the mrna vaxx does.

I'm staying out of this discussion mostly, but I would like to (hopefully helpfully) point out to the group that "doing your research" doesn't mean starting from scratch entirely, and CAN just mean just collecting the consensus of the experts.   Otherwise I'm calling bullshit on every person here that is concerned about global warming, since I highly doubt that anyone has taken their own climate measurements over the last 200 years, studied them for patterns, done complete regression analyses, plugged them into climate models that were no doubt constructed - and tested, empirically - themselves?   I think not.  :) :) :)

There's a middle ground of understanding that I feel is necessary to be an informed populace.  Don't get me wrong, we as Americans generally fail even that standard, and majestically at that, but still.

But I do put faith in the scores of climate scientists who have done so. Again, just as your clients put faith in your legal skills, or my customers put faith in the fact that they're gonna get a bomb ass meal for their money. Nobody is an expert in everything, as much as a good deal of keyboard warriors like to pretend they are. Opinions aren't fact, and it takes an informed populace to differentiate the two, and a wise and humble populace to defer to the more informed ones in the cases of ignorance.

I'm sorry Lonestar, it doesn't sound it I know, but I was agreeing with you. I only used your post to reply to because you sort of broached the subject, but my comments were directed elsewhere.  This shouldn't be such a controversial topic; we do this all the time.   :)

Actually I did catch that, was just expanding on it. :lol

Buy those lotto tix Chad...

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #8121 on: April 09, 2021, 08:24:36 AM »
Also, let's be frank: "do your research" is never written on the internet by people who spent hours reading scientific papers and publications, attending conferences and the likes. 99 times out of 100 "do your research" is slang for "watching a crappy YouTube video that confirms what I have already decided I want to be true".

This.

And unfortunately I am very much inclined to believe we are headed for distaster in terms of climate change (long term). As a sidenote, I don't think you have to be a brilliant climate scientist to realise that in a world of finite resources you will hit a bottleneck eventually. Especially if we are removing the natural elements that act as buffers or recyclers/redistrubutors. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 08:42:49 AM by ErHaO »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8122 on: April 09, 2021, 08:27:35 AM »
:lol  Seems to be some confusion about the differences between an unknown substance injected into your arm and normal food that's eaten every day.  It was an honest yes or no question and all I get is a bunch of smartass, snarky fucking bullshit.  :\

Maybe when a dozen or so people respond in a similar way, the “smartass snarky bullshit” is in the question, not the responses?  Just sayin.

If you wanted legitimate dialogue, perhaps instead of dropping a troll-like grenade on the table, put some context behind the question? Especially given your current position on the pandemic and measures to combat it, surely you can comprehend that others might interpret your comment to be a little snarky itself.

Do you know the ingredients of every food and medication you ingest?

...or, alternatively, how about not being the self-proclaimed Question Police and not giving snarky, smartass responses to questions you subjectively do not deem worthy?

Geez, and I thought personal attacks were against rules.  Please indicate where I self proclaimed myself the "Question Police", or deemed someone's question 'not worthy'.  My point was that when 10 people see something a certain way, the 1 person who sees it differently is, generally speaking, the outlier.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #8123 on: April 09, 2021, 08:31:39 AM »
All these talks about vaccine ingredients reminded me of a student that got people to sign a petition for banning water:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/501907/14-year-old-who-convinced-people-ban-dihydrogen-monoxide

Yup. The general populace in the US is woefully inadequately educated in the sciences, and are incapable of even beginning to comprehend the science behind vaccines. Them making a decision based on 'their own research', while their choice, is laughable at best. I have a cursory knowledge of the sciences, and a sprinkling of introductory college science courses at a respected institution, and still can't even begin to wrap my head around exactly what the mrna vaxx does.

I'm staying out of this discussion mostly, but I would like to (hopefully helpfully) point out to the group that "doing your research" doesn't mean starting from scratch entirely, and CAN just mean just collecting the consensus of the experts.   Otherwise I'm calling bullshit on every person here that is concerned about global warming, since I highly doubt that anyone has taken their own climate measurements over the last 200 years, studied them for patterns, done complete regression analyses, plugged them into climate models that were no doubt constructed - and tested, empirically - themselves?   I think not.  :) :) :)

There's a middle ground of understanding that I feel is necessary to be an informed populace.  Don't get me wrong, we as Americans generally fail even that standard, and majestically at that, but still.

But I do put faith in the scores of climate scientists who have done so. Again, just as your clients put faith in your legal skills, or my customers put faith in the fact that they're gonna get a bomb ass meal for their money. Nobody is an expert in everything, as much as a good deal of keyboard warriors like to pretend they are. Opinions aren't fact, and it takes an informed populace to differentiate the two, and a wise and humble populace to defer to the more informed ones in the cases of ignorance.

Yet, you are having many experts saying one thing and everyone listening to one Man...Also, these experts are having trouble agreeing with stuff.

The point is even though you may trust them, doesn't mean other people do. Some people may even see that person as an enemy. Because that person may have done something horrible to that other person, while presenting you with a smile and acting kind. You would not know until they are exposed, it's what happens when people's favorite idol gets exposed as a horrible human being, just look at the headlines and shock.

Of course, no one can know everything. Or else, why would we need each other. But we individually still are capable of learning as much as we can.

I strive for this. It's not hard to learn how things work. It just takes times, patience, and effort. It's not easy, it's a lot of work, but you can learn It. People just choose not too. And feel contempt with what they know. That's fine, but some do not and feel that knowledge is power, which it really is. Because people flock to you as being the expert, and knowing this, you can easily tell the gullible anything and they'll believe it.

Also, let's be frank: "do your research" is never written on the internet by people who spent hours reading scientific papers and publications, attending conferences and the likes. 99 times out of 100 "do your research" is slang for "watching a crappy YouTube video that confirms what I have already decided I want to be true".

Well, that's not doing your research or Thinking For Yourself. Doing research means looking up vast sources, seeing what's common and what's not, it's what I was taught when I had to do research papers in school. To look at other sources, because this was the time when Wikipedia was getting known and students were plagarizing from there. The teachers actually knew because they looked it up themselves. I remember when plagarizing was big in our school.

These days, it's like people do not know how to think critically or even know how to research and not just trust and have faith in that one youtube video.

We've seen all the people that try and make stuff from cookbooks, and YouTube videos. What this here is, experience...

You can do all the research and have all the knowledge, but do you have the experience and wisdom. That's what an expert is for because they actually should have went out and did the actual thing they're discussing.the experts have wisdom from experience. The scientist actually did the study. If you want to know yourself, you can do it yourself. But do you have access to all the things you need, without going into college or universities?

Why do you need to go these accredited schools. What about those other cultures that do not have schools.

Anyways I digress...

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #8124 on: April 09, 2021, 08:33:02 AM »

This.

And unfortunately I am very much inclined to believe we are headed for distaster in terms of climate change (long term). As a sidenote, I don't think you don't have to be a brilliant climate scientist to realise that in a world of finite resources you will hit a bottleneck eventually. Especially if we are removing the natural elements that act as buffers or recyclers/redistrubutors.

We Natives knew this. Yet, our knowledge was deemed savage and unworthy of understanding.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8125 on: April 09, 2021, 01:15:30 PM »
Just got shot 1 of Pfizer. I feel bleh. You ever get a CAT scan get injected with that stuff that makes you feel lighted, gives you a weird taste, and then makes you feel like you just pissed yourself? That's how I feel minus the pee pants parts.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #8126 on: April 09, 2021, 01:23:30 PM »

Yet, you are having many experts saying one thing and everyone listening to one Man...Also, these experts are having trouble agreeing with stuff.

The point is even though you may trust them, doesn't mean other people do. Some people may even see that person as an enemy. Because that person may have done something horrible to that other person, while presenting you with a smile and acting kind. You would not know until they are exposed, it's what happens when people's favorite idol gets exposed as a horrible human being, just look at the headlines and shock.

Of course, no one can know everything. Or else, why would we need each other. But we individually still are capable of learning as much as we can.

I strive for this. It's not hard to learn how things work. It just takes times, patience, and effort. It's not easy, it's a lot of work, but you can learn It. People just choose not too. And feel contempt with what they know. That's fine, but some do not and feel that knowledge is power, which it really is. Because people flock to you as being the expert, and knowing this, you can easily tell the gullible anything and they'll believe it.

Well, that's not doing your research or Thinking For Yourself. Doing research means looking up vast sources, seeing what's common and what's not, it's what I was taught when I had to do research papers in school. To look at other sources, because this was the time when Wikipedia was getting known and students were plagarizing from there. The teachers actually knew because they looked it up themselves. I remember when plagarizing was big in our school.

These days, it's like people do not know how to think critically or even know how to research and not just trust and have faith in that one youtube video.

We've seen all the people that try and make stuff from cookbooks, and YouTube videos. What this here is, experience...

You can do all the research and have all the knowledge, but do you have the experience and wisdom. That's what an expert is for because they actually should have went out and did the actual thing they're discussing.the experts have wisdom from experience. The scientist actually did the study. If you want to know yourself, you can do it yourself. But do you have access to all the things you need, without going into college or universities?

Why do you need to go these accredited schools. What about those other cultures that do not have schools.

Anyways I digress...

That is some word salad that I can't make heads or tales of after reading it from beginning to end 3 times.   :lol

No offense, I just have no idea what you are talking about here, it's almost like you quoted one post while answering something completely different

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #8127 on: April 09, 2021, 02:00:01 PM »
With Illinois expanding to 16 and up next week, I just got my 17 year son signed up for his first Pfizer dose on the 22nd. My county has openings for all 3 vaccines so we have a nice choice. My 20 year old daughter will be signing up for the Moderna shot on the 26th or thereabouts. I've been vaxed since January and my wife is getting her 2nd Moderna soon. Getting closer to a fully vaxed house.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8128 on: April 09, 2021, 02:36:55 PM »
Congrats!  My wife, son, and I all got our second shot this week.  Our daughter is scheduled for both shots (that's how they do it in VA) and I think gets the first one Saturday.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8129 on: April 09, 2021, 03:20:18 PM »
NJ is set to open to everyone 16 and older on the 19th.  However, it seems if you can find an appointment, no one is asking questions anyway so get the shots if you can secure an appointment!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8130 on: April 09, 2021, 03:23:50 PM »
Just heard the J&J fuck up is going to cost CA 90%of their incoming supply in the week to come. This should be interesting.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #8131 on: April 09, 2021, 04:34:28 PM »

That is some word salad that I can't make heads or tales of after reading it from beginning to end 3 times.   :lol

No offense, I just have no idea what you are talking about here, it's almost like you quoted one post while answering something completely different

It's all good. I tend to do that, and my mind takes off, and one thing I need to learn how to control.  :lol

It's mainly, Trusting Experts, Wanting to gain Knowledge, and Thinking For Yourself, are what I am trying to convey about.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #8132 on: April 10, 2021, 10:01:04 AM »
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/gen-army-covid-vaccine-heard-begun-human-trials/story?id=76901332

my cousin Dom is a scientist who lives in Washington DC and is working on this project, looks promising!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8133 on: April 11, 2021, 05:51:52 AM »

It's all good. I tend to do that, and my mind takes off, and one thing I need to learn how to control.  :lol

It's mainly, Trusting Experts, Wanting to gain Knowledge, and Thinking For Yourself, are what I am trying to convey about.

:tup

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8134 on: April 11, 2021, 06:26:32 AM »
This time of year I get pretty stuffed up with allergies and if you were standing in front of me listening to me talk you'd think I've got a cold or worse, Covid-19 by the way I sound.  People at my office were giving me dirty looks because they thought I might be infected with the 'rona.

Had to go get a PCR test and post the negative results on the outside of the door to my office so I could prove to everyone that I'm not contagious.  At first I was kind of pissed that people wouldn't just take my word for it, but I guess people are just doubtful and suspicious by nature  :|

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8135 on: April 11, 2021, 07:59:38 AM »
This time of year I get pretty stuffed up with allergies and if you were standing in front of me listening to me talk you'd think I've got a cold or worse, Covid-19 by the way I sound.  People at my office were giving me dirty looks because they thought I might be infected with the 'rona.

Had to go get a PCR test and post the negative results on the outside of the door to my office so I could prove to everyone that I'm not contagious.  At first I was kind of pissed that people wouldn't just take my word for it, but I guess people are just doubtful and suspicious by nature  :|

I remember this time last year when the allergies were kicking my ass, and I was waking up every day frantically taking my temp because how shitty I felt made me paranoid I had the rona.

Now that I'm fully vaxxed, I'm just pissed it's allergy season again  :lol

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8136 on: April 11, 2021, 04:12:57 PM »
Just got my first dose (Pfizer) and I'm in the waiting area. Curious to see what side effects may occur. My arm has been hurting for the last few weeks so I'm kind of used to that at this point.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8137 on: April 11, 2021, 04:26:43 PM »
Just got my first dose (Pfizer) and I'm in the waiting area. Curious to see what side effects may occur. My arm has been hurting for the last few weeks so I'm kind of used to that at this point.

My arm was mildly sore and the night of I was more tired than usual. That was it for me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #8138 on: April 11, 2021, 04:27:41 PM »

I got a pretty sore arm next day, then headache in the afternoon, better on day two today. Stay hydrated, i was bad with
h that
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8139 on: April 11, 2021, 05:08:50 PM »
Thanks! Yeah I heard about the hydration thing so I'm going to be pounding water as much as possible.

Online faizoff

« Reply #8140 on: April 11, 2021, 09:49:42 PM »
I did have some mild allergy symptoms the other day, though nothing like what I usually get. Same with my daughter, hasn't had to take any allergy medicine.

I got my 2nd shot of Pfizer today, so far only a sore arm. 1st dose also was the same. My wife's 2nd shot put her in bed for the whole day with really bad body aches, fever, chills, but it recovered in a day. Curious how I'm going to be when I wake up tomorrow.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8141 on: April 12, 2021, 07:14:31 AM »
I felt fine the day of my first shot (Thursday), but I felt like ass all weekend.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online faizoff

« Reply #8142 on: April 12, 2021, 08:04:34 AM »
Yeah I'm starting to feel the aches all over today, still not debilitating though.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8143 on: April 12, 2021, 08:11:36 AM »
I felt fine the day of my first shot (Thursday), but I felt like ass all weekend.

Were you just gassed.  That's how I felt.  No energy at all.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8144 on: April 12, 2021, 08:20:25 AM »
The day after getting shot #1, I felt super hungover without the headache. For the few hours immediately after getting the shot, it kind of felt like that feeling after being injected with dye for a CAT scan. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8145 on: April 12, 2021, 09:18:48 AM »

Were you just gassed.  That's how I felt.  No energy at all.
Mostly, yeah.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8146 on: April 12, 2021, 09:51:55 AM »
I started fevering about 16 hours after my 2nd shot.  Then chills and body aches.  I'd say half was through day 2 is when I felt normal again.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online faizoff

« Reply #8147 on: April 12, 2021, 10:11:00 AM »
Yeah I'm starting to feel the aches all over today, still not debilitating though.

And here we go... intensity increasing by the minute.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #8148 on: April 12, 2021, 10:24:19 AM »

Good luck man. Hopefully it won't be too intense.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8149 on: April 12, 2021, 12:03:36 PM »
Just got home from my 3 hour round trip to Atlantic City to get vaccinated.  J&J so only one shot for me.  Feel fine now but I'll have to report back tomorrow as I assume things will kick in over night. Both of my parents had no side effects from J&J so I'm hoping I've got the good genes, but who knows how this works. 

Must say, the AC state mega site was pretty smooth operation.  National Guard running the show, my appointment was around lunch time so it took a solid 20 minutes to get inside after temp checks and check in.  No ID needed to be shown, no questions asked.  They marked my name and gave me a wrist band designating which shot (pfizer or j&J were the options) and 5 minutes after signing in I was in the post shot waiting area.  Tons of people in/out of there which was highly encouraging to see.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #8150 on: April 12, 2021, 01:02:05 PM »
2 hours until Moderna shot #2 goes into my arm :JayOctavarium:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online faizoff

« Reply #8151 on: April 12, 2021, 07:16:42 PM »

Good luck man. Hopefully it won't be too intense.

Thanks! It actually went faster than I thought, had an afternoon nap and feel a lot better. I was prepared to head into the night with the aches and soreness but it's subsiding now and I'd say I'm at 80%.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8152 on: April 12, 2021, 08:32:09 PM »
What the fuck...where the fuck is my button man??!?!?!!??

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #8153 on: April 13, 2021, 12:27:58 AM »
What the fuck...where the fuck is my button man??!?!?!!??

Right? No button or even a sticker for me. Just a dumb card with my name, birthday, and numbers on it.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online faizoff

« Reply #8154 on: April 13, 2021, 06:04:52 AM »
Interesting that J&J is on pause in the US now while CDC and FDA review the 6 blood clots cases from about 7 million doses administered.
Astra Zeneca's trajectory was similar where in Europe they administered 34 million doses and had 222 known cases of blood clots.