Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 433907 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #6125 on: November 27, 2020, 10:26:38 AM »
In this case and in many cases, they are sent to a rehab center before going home. I think that's big business not wanting people's stays at hospitals too long which is where they should be.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6126 on: November 27, 2020, 01:47:27 PM »
Ugh.  My best friend's wife lost her mother overnight.  Complications with blo0d clots while battling cancer.  They took her arm last week but they couldn't stop the blood clots in her lungs.  I'm heartbroken for them.

Damn, sorry to hear that, man.  :( :(

Thanks Kev.  It's tough to swallow as she was sent to a rehab center to be sent home for hospice but covid even stunted the family from being there when she passed away.  We will make a very quick stop at the wake and that hurts.  Can't hang with my friends in their time of need.

I hear ya.  That definitely sucks big time. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6127 on: November 27, 2020, 03:08:42 PM »
Ugh.  My best friend's wife lost her mother overnight.  Complications with blo0d clots while battling cancer.  They took her arm last week but they couldn't stop the blood clots in her lungs.  I'm heartbroken for them.

Damn, sorry to hear that, man.  :( :(

Thanks Kev.  It's tough to swallow as she was sent to a rehab center to be sent home for hospice but covid even stunted the family from being there when she passed away.  We will make a very quick stop at the wake and that hurts.  Can't hang with my friends in their time of need.

Damn, sorry to hear this.  It's so tough right now to deal with these situations and there's really nothing you can do about it. 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6128 on: November 27, 2020, 08:20:40 PM »
Along the lines of good news/bad news....

We have lost a few acquaintances and dear friends.  Amongst the list of things we could not do this year, was to go up to Detroit and watch the ceremony of Lou Whitaker's jersey retirement ceremony at 'Tiger' Stadium in August.  My wife's Uncle Gene, THE smartest and one of the nicest men I have ever met, who was just a joy to be around, made me feel like a forever part of the family, went into a senior home last week.  We never got that 'last' visit, and will never see him again.  And won't be at any type of ceremony.

My wife....after breaking her ankle, then spending 12+ hours in the emergency waiting area, doctor's area, xrays, etc.....had her surgery today.  After all of last weekend, plus the doctor's visit for a physical and then different office for bloodwork on Tuesday, my colonoscopy the day after the elections, emergency dental visit the week after................she tested negative today !!!  Woot. frickin' woot !!!  Which means the same for me. 

The stress and trying to sleep on the couch with my phone on while I get umpteen spam calls a day has been a pain, but damn...time for a beer or six and some good slumbers. <yes, that's semi selfish, but who isn't?>
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6129 on: November 28, 2020, 04:51:52 AM »
Think of it as a reward for getting thru a brutal 3-week stretch.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6130 on: December 03, 2020, 06:21:09 AM »
I'm still seeing a lot of people using the line "the only reason there's more cases now is because we're testing much more frequently". I guess that's true to an extent, but the US broke 3000 deaths in a day yesterday, a new record, with more than 100,000 being hospitalized from it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6131 on: December 03, 2020, 07:16:15 AM »
I'm still seeing a lot of people using the line "the only reason there's more cases now is because we're testing much more frequently". I guess that's true to an extent, but the US broke 3000 deaths in a day yesterday, a new record, with more than 100,000 being hospitalized from it.

It's a contributor, but it's not the only reason.  My daughter had it, and the only way she knew was the test.  She literally did not have one symptom (not even loss of taste/smell) and her roommate who had it, her only symptom WAS the loss of taste/smell. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6132 on: December 03, 2020, 07:39:44 AM »
For all this talk of COVID ravaging the country I sure have not seen any change whatsoever in life around these parts. Another day I'm glad to not live in a city or metropolitan area I suppose
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6133 on: December 03, 2020, 07:55:50 AM »
I'm just hoping we only have the winter to deal with this before the vaccines roll out and we see the spread slow down.  There's been a lot of positive news about these vaccines being available real soon and with a good chance of a significant portion of the US population having it available to them in a few more months. 

I really do feel like there's a good chance that we are nearing the end of the pandemic.  If people can just keep being good with this, it could probably save a significant amount of lives before it's too late, but there's already such a "tired of this" attitude of many.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6134 on: December 03, 2020, 08:04:15 AM »
Oh, and if anyone asks, I'm a 78 year old doctor that lives in a nursing home.   :tup

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #6135 on: December 03, 2020, 08:13:43 AM »
Norway says they plan on beginning to vaccinate "the most of us" during late summer, if everything works out. Obviously I'm thrilled with the fastest ever vaccine rollout, but god I'm going to be so bored. What are the chances that the virus mutates into something with the mortality of the common flu by then? :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6136 on: December 03, 2020, 08:58:32 AM »
Cases are one thing (to Bill's point... we simply know about a lot more that weren't known about in the first wave).  It's the hospitalizations and deaths that are the concerning.  Here in Ontario, hospitalizations are up 140%, and ICU admittance is up 140% since the summer.  That's the truly worrisome part.

Cases are a leading indicator of trends and problems; hospitalizations/deaths are the lagging indicators.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #6137 on: December 03, 2020, 09:32:49 AM »
Norway says they plan on beginning to vaccinate "the most of us" during late summer, if everything works out.

Curiously Finland's tentative plan is quite a bit quicker. Healthcare and eldercare staff would get it in January, and risk groups would be vaccinated by March. The rest would have their turn after that via public healthcare distribution.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6138 on: December 03, 2020, 09:34:32 AM »
Oh, and if anyone asks, I'm a 78 year old doctor that lives in a nursing home.   :tup

Wow! You don’t look a day over 73.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6139 on: December 03, 2020, 09:35:18 AM »

And don't feel a day over 71.   :)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6140 on: December 03, 2020, 09:36:01 AM »

Having met him, I can buy 78.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6141 on: December 03, 2020, 09:36:19 AM »

Oh I do! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6142 on: December 03, 2020, 09:42:04 AM »

Oh I do! :lol

Are we talking about your pop culture/tech knowledge?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6143 on: December 03, 2020, 09:52:33 AM »
Cases are one thing (to Bill's point... we simply know about a lot more that weren't known about in the first wave).  It's the hospitalizations and deaths that are the concerning.  Here in Ontario, hospitalizations are up 140%, and ICU admittance is up 140% since the summer.  That's the truly worrisome part.

Cases are a leading indicator of trends and problems; hospitalizations/deaths are the lagging indicators.

Don't forget, Pnuemonia and Flu are also high as well during this season.  Are these Hospitalizations all Covid-19, or are they just counting whomever is admitted into the hospital?

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6144 on: December 03, 2020, 10:01:25 AM »

With the current amount of daily deaths compared to the first peak(s), it is very likely that the amount of cases about 2-4 weeks ago (death lag) was higher, let alone the testing numbers that followed.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6145 on: December 03, 2020, 10:04:58 AM »

Don't forget, Pnuemonia and Flu are also high as well during this season.  Are these Hospitalizations all Covid-19, or are they just counting whomever is admitted into the hospital?

Specific to COVID.  And it's just in the last month ... NOT since the summer:

Over the past month, however, Ontario has experienced a 100 per cent increase in COVID-19 patients who require hospitalization. On Nov. 2, 328 novel coronavirus patients were admitted to hospitals in the province -- today that number stands at 656.

Intensive care units have also experienced a dramatic 144 per cent surge in COVID-19 patients over the same period -- going up from 75 patients on Nov. 2 to 183 patients on Dec 2.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6146 on: December 03, 2020, 10:09:07 AM »
What's the "novel" mean with "novel coronavirus"? 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6147 on: December 03, 2020, 10:45:44 AM »
What's the "novel" mean with "novel coronavirus"?

New.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #6148 on: December 03, 2020, 11:16:09 AM »
It's gone from bad to worse here in Missouri. I work in IT supporting the department of health and we had a townhall yesterday and they gave a covid update. We had 4K covid cases in March - we have 110K now. The graph they showed from month to month was flat out stunning! Now I realize we have better capability to test now then we did back in March but that doesn't tell the entire story. Missouri's health care system is now feeling the squeeze and this is a small State. 

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #6149 on: December 03, 2020, 11:23:44 AM »
Maryland has been extremely fortunate, and diligent, with regards to the pandemic, but we have suffered, too. There's no place that hasn't. The governor's weekly pressers keep the state updated and I believe he's doing all he can at that executive level to help and mitigate. Tuesday, he announced, with his voice audibly breaking, that we had lost a one-year-old boy to COVID. He had to take a moment to compose himself before continuing. It's gut-wrenching.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6150 on: December 03, 2020, 11:27:25 AM »
I saw that press conference.  Yeah, it was tough to see him say that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #6151 on: December 03, 2020, 11:31:34 AM »
I saw that press conference.  Yeah, it was tough to see him say that.

Tough to see, tough to hear, unthinkable to imagine.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6152 on: December 03, 2020, 12:02:24 PM »
I'm just hoping we only have the winter to deal with this before the vaccines roll out and we see the spread slow down.  There's been a lot of positive news about these vaccines being available real soon and with a good chance of a significant portion of the US population having it available to them in a few more months. 

I really do feel like there's a good chance that we are nearing the end of the pandemic.  If people can just keep being good with this, it could probably save a significant amount of lives before it's too late, but there's already such a "tired of this" attitude of many.

When I typed this earlier I was trying to find the article to link, here it is:  https://www.yahoo.com/news/operation-warp-speeds-top-scientist-194606363.html

Moncef Slaoui, the top scientist advising the US government's Operation Warp Speed, predicted that more than 100 million Americans would be vaccinated against COVID-19 within the next 100 days.

Slaoui said 20 million Americans should be immunized in December, then 30 million more in January and 50 million in February.

By the end of February, "we will have potentially immunized 100 million people, which is really more or less the size of the significant at-risk population: the elderly, the healthcare workers, the first-line workers, people with comorbidities," Slaoui said.

This is why I'm starting to feel optimistic about coming out of the winter and things starting to come back to normal.  Between people naturally immune, those who recovered, and those who get vaccinated, by May we might have a majority of the population with some form of immunity.  I don't expect covid to go anywhere, it's here to stay, but there's legit reason to think we could get out of this state of so many sick and dying from it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6153 on: December 03, 2020, 01:45:02 PM »
California being put under a stay at home order, regionally based on hospital capacity. Not as strict as March, but pretty tight.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6154 on: December 04, 2020, 10:20:52 AM »
My Mom called me last night saying she really wants me to be in Florida for Christmas.  Said it was worth the risk due to mental health and most of my family is already down there (both sisters drove down already).  So I booked a flight today to go down with my sisters husband (who has already recovered from covid a couple months ago) and then to fly back solo and he will stay there longer and drive back with my sister at some future date.  I just hope this isn't set up to be like one of the stories you'll hear on the news.  I think I'll be getting tested before the flight to be safe as well and of course follow all precautions.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6155 on: December 04, 2020, 10:21:55 AM »
Good luck Marc. Might want to get tested after being in that tin sardine can with wings, too.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6156 on: December 04, 2020, 10:37:09 AM »
My Mom called me last night saying she really wants me to be in Florida for Christmas.  Said it was worth the risk due to mental health and most of my family is already down there (both sisters drove down already).  So I booked a flight today to go down with my sisters husband (who has already recovered from covid a couple months ago) and then to fly back solo and he will stay there longer and drive back with my sister at some future date.  I just hope this isn't set up to be like one of the stories you'll hear on the news.  I think I'll be getting tested before the flight to be safe as well and of course follow all precautions.

My in-laws travelled to Texas for a funeral a few months ago.  They were fine.  The plane was packed, but everyone wore masks throughout the flight.  If you keep a mask on and social distance where you can, like in the airport terminal, you should be ok. 

My brother has been over at my house a number of times.  He has asthma, and has been very cautious throughout the whole pandemic.  Any time he is inside with us, he keeps his mask on and sits farther away from everyone.  So if you're concerned about being indoors with them, just keep your mask on while you're inside and around your family. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6157 on: December 04, 2020, 10:41:31 AM »
My dad is staying home in Michigan, as opposed to the condo in Florida, for the first time in nearly 30 years.  He usually spends winters in F-L-A.  He's 89, getting kinda tired, and says he's honestly okay not dealing with the trip down and back.  He's basically been hanging out alone in his apartment since lockdown, leaving only to go to doctor's appointments and the occassional shopping trip, but if he went to Florida it would be the same thing, since the condo place down there is all locked down.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6158 on: December 04, 2020, 10:52:31 AM »

My in-laws travelled to Texas for a funeral a few months ago.  They were fine.  The plane was packed, but everyone wore masks throughout the flight.  If you keep a mask on and social distance where you can, like in the airport terminal, you should be ok. 

My brother has been over at my house a number of times.  He has asthma, and has been very cautious throughout the whole pandemic.  Any time he is inside with us, he keeps his mask on and sits farther away from everyone.  So if you're concerned about being indoors with them, just keep your mask on while you're inside and around your family.

That's cool.  I've been largely staying home because in my (limited) experience, it's "everyone shows up in masks" and then 20 minutes later all the masks are hanging out of pockets or whatever, and it all goes to hell pretty quick.   It takes discipline to maintain the protections.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6159 on: December 04, 2020, 10:58:59 AM »

That's cool.  I've been largely staying home because in my (limited) experience, it's "everyone shows up in masks" and then 20 minutes later all the masks are hanging out of pockets or whatever, and it all goes to hell pretty quick.   It takes discipline to maintain the protections.

Well, it's my house.  So my wife, me, and the kids aren't wearing masks.  My mom and dad aren't.  So he just keeps his mask on and sits 4-6 feet away.  He was here for my son's birthday and spent 3 hours with us, just keeping his mask on.  Whatever makes him comfortable works for me.