Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 429782 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #6055 on: November 24, 2020, 07:52:28 AM »
I found myself in the hospital last Thursday after complications from a routine surgery the Monday before it. They are flooded with Covid patients right now. One of my nurses was telling me about a husband and wife who died there just a few days earlier. They were in their 70s, been married over 40 years, and they both caught it at a 120 person wedding they went to at the beginning of the month.   

I get the economy and all that, and I'm certain we can keep a lot of it running at near-full capacity if people would just stop being selfish assholes, but there are certain industries that are just too risky to allow operating as they do, IMO. Wedding venues is one of those. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6056 on: November 24, 2020, 08:15:36 AM »
I'm not sure why I just thought of this.  Probably because I'm getting old and feeble.

But I was thinking about families going to seeing Grandma and Grandpa for Thanksgiving and possibly giving them COVID.  Obviously that would be stupid and irresponsible.  But it's not the same for us, because this is our daughter.  Then I realized Holy shit, we're the old people that she's visiting and possibly giving COVID!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #6057 on: November 24, 2020, 08:23:25 AM »
I'm not sure why I just thought of this.  Probably because I'm getting old and feeble.

But I was thinking about families going to seeing Grandma and Grandpa for Thanksgiving and possibly giving them COVID.  Obviously that would be stupid and irresponsible.  But it's not the same for us, because this is our daughter.  Then I realized Holy shit, we're the old people that she's visiting and possibly giving COVID!
I posted before that I traveled home in the middle of March. Now, this was back when we thought travel was SO contagious, I was practically counting on catching it while waiting for my connecting flight on the airport. But when you have to go somewhere, you have to go. I think there's ways to be careful while still being in the same household - you hear of all these cases where someone was infected but their housemates were not. For the next 10-14 days, you guys can air your home, she can stay in a separate room, you can be at a distance from each other, have different meal times and she can also wear a mask indoors.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6058 on: November 24, 2020, 08:51:03 AM »
I get the economy and all that, and I'm certain we can keep a lot of it running at near-full capacity if people would just stop being selfish assholes, but there are certain industries that are just too risky to allow operating as they do, IMO. Wedding venues is one of those.

That's the maddening thing about all of this. The 'non essential' industries like wedding venues are just going to have to either weather the storm or go extinct. There is no 'right' or guarantee that 'your' business has the right to survive. That was my complaint about the bailouts that our government handed (and hands) out. It's BS. you either survive or you don't.....History is wrought with companies/businesses that just didn't make it for whatever reason. Covid should be no different. Yes it sucks.....but....for the lack of a better phrase.....it is what it is.

IMO this is where our leadership from the top to the bottom across the board federally and locally has failed.  In my mind this pandemic should have been a simple thing for ALL leaders to have rallied the American public around.....the fact it was politicized is just sad. And thus, we're in a position as a country now where....for the lack of a better phrase....we're kind of getting what we deserve.

That's not to say that we truly 'deserve' it or that the people dying 'deserve' it.....it's an indictment on our leadership as a whole and how they've ALL failed us. None of them are innocent R or D because they've both used this pandemic for political gains/reasons.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6059 on: November 24, 2020, 09:00:04 AM »
...you hear of all these cases where someone was infected but their housemates were not. For the next 10-14 days, you guys can air your home, she can stay in a separate room, you can be at a distance from each other, have different meal times and she can also wear a mask indoors.

This.  Get her tested as soon as she gets home.  While she is there, have her distance, and make sure you guys are hand washing constantly, keeping the place well ventilated, avoiding touching faces, and, even though it is inconvenient (to say the least), I would say to wear masks when in relatively close proximity until her results come back.  Even assuming the worst case that she is infected, the odds of transmission are still VERY much in your favor if you guys do those things, Orbert.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #6060 on: November 24, 2020, 09:06:26 AM »
It's very hard for me to reconcile the lack of common sense going on, mainly within my wife's family. Speaking personally, are family falls into the category of those who, shall we say, skew their views based on proselytization, and the backlash we are receiving for choosing our own safety over what they consider "family respect" is ridiculous. She is being treated as though she is divorcing her family, dragging them through the mud, and shitting on them simply by choosing safety over family gathering. I fully support her, and am proud of her strength in her own choices and the decisions for our family. And if one would make the argument that it's their choice to get together and they have to face their consequences, that's fine, but we deserve to have our decisions respected.

Vent over.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6061 on: November 24, 2020, 09:11:54 AM »

That's the maddening thing about all of this. The 'non essential' industries like wedding venues are just going to have to either weather the storm or go extinct. There is no 'right' or guarantee that 'your' business has the right to survive. That was my complaint about the bailouts that our government handed (and hands) out. It's BS. you either survive or you don't.....History is wrought with companies/businesses that just didn't make it for whatever reason. Covid should be no different. Yes it sucks.....but....for the lack of a better phrase.....it is what it is.

IMO this is where our leadership from the top to the bottom across the board federally and locally has failed.  In my mind this pandemic should have been a simple thing for ALL leaders to have rallied the American public around.....the fact it was politicized is just sad. And thus, we're in a position as a country now where....for the lack of a better phrase....we're kind of getting what we deserve.

That's not to say that we truly 'deserve' it or that the people dying 'deserve' it.....it's an indictment on our leadership as a whole and how they've ALL failed us. None of them are innocent R or D because they've both used this pandemic for political gains/reasons.

I know this is going to sound like picking nits, but where I struggle is not the industries.  You don't have to be a greedy capitalist pig to want to work and make your payroll.  It's the PEOPLE using them that are the problem.   Home Depot - or even a wedding facility - can stay open in degrees, safely.  But the people... why would you subject 120 people to your egomaniacal folly (i.e. a wedding) in this environment?    I'm not a big speculator, so I'm not going to presuppose if anyone said "take your masks off for the photos" or anything like that, but it's not beyond reasonable to think that happened.   

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6062 on: November 24, 2020, 09:23:47 AM »

I know this is going to sound like picking nits, but where I struggle is not the industries.  You don't have to be a greedy capitalist pig to want to work and make your payroll.  It's the PEOPLE using them that are the problem.   Home Depot - or even a wedding facility - can stay open in degrees, safely.  But the people... why would you subject 120 people to your egomaniacal folly (i.e. a wedding) in this environment?    I'm not a big speculator, so I'm not going to presuppose if anyone said "take your masks off for the photos" or anything like that, but it's not beyond reasonable to think that happened.

Very true. Just last week my wife and I told a neighbor that 'no'......we would not be going to Top Golf for her husbands surprise 40th birthday party, of which there were a good 30-40 invited....on top of just the crowd of people that would most likely be there.

I 'get' that 40 is a big deal and all....but we were just kind of baffled at the invitation? It's pretty obvious that across the nation people are 'done' with the whole thing even in the face of this virus not being anywhere close to being 'done' with us.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #6063 on: November 24, 2020, 09:29:44 AM »
My wife's sister's birthday is Thanksgiving Day. She is taking it as a personal affront that we are not attending their gathering. Apparently, "We'd prefer to miss this birthday so we can be alive for future birthdays" is not sufficient reasoning to her.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6064 on: November 24, 2020, 09:31:23 AM »
My wife's sister's birthday is Thanksgiving Day. She is taking it as a personal affront that we are not attending their gathering. Apparently, "We'd prefer to miss this birthday so we can be alive for future birthdays" is not sufficient reasoning to her.

Women, am I right?! :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6065 on: November 24, 2020, 09:34:51 AM »
Well my Dr friend had a mom yelling at him because HE ruined Thanksgiving by their son testing positive and his guidance was to not gather with anyone for Thanksgiving.   :facepalm:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6066 on: November 24, 2020, 09:37:49 AM »

Very true. Just last week my wife and I told a neighbor that 'no'......we would not be going to Top Golf for her husbands surprise 40th birthday party, of which there were a good 30-40 invited....on top of just the crowd of people that would most likely be there.

I 'get' that 40 is a big deal and all....but we were just kind of baffled at the invitation? It's pretty obvious that across the nation people are 'done' with the whole thing even in the face of this virus not being anywhere close to being 'done' with us.

Just want to point out that I wasn't referring to business owners who are worried about going under as "assholes". I was referring more to the general population who are do nothing to even attempt to slow down the spread... people like this:

People in Florida 3 days ago:

Then there are the people like this, who joyously take pride in their selfishness and stupidity:
https://old.reddit.com/r/iamatotalpieceofshit/comments/k036ld/this_is_what_makes_americans_look_like_idiots/

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6067 on: November 24, 2020, 09:40:07 AM »
Man Thanksgiving is one of the lamest holidays anyway. People getting mad about it makes me laugh  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6068 on: November 24, 2020, 10:06:34 AM »

:clap:
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6069 on: November 24, 2020, 10:08:27 AM »
I found myself in the hospital last Thursday after complications from a routine surgery the Monday before it. They are flooded with Covid patients right now. One of my nurses was telling me about a husband and wife who died there just a few days earlier. They were in their 70s, been married over 40 years, and they both caught it at a 120 person wedding they went to at the beginning of the month.   

Boy, ain't that gonna be a happy anniversary for the couple from now until the end of their own time!  #shakemygoddamnedhead

mrs.jingle turns 50 in Feb.  It'll be a home-cooked dinner for four that night.  Nothing extraordinary, not going anywhere, not doing anything ... which is kind of a shame, but as Drew said, we'd very much like to have 40 more birthdays to enjoy, see our kids into adulthead, maybe some grandkids etc...  We can postpone one "special number' b-day celebration in order to not put any of that at risk.

To steal and repeat this from GD chat:

I hate people.  I really do.

Quoted this because it needs to be repeated, over and over again.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6070 on: November 24, 2020, 10:10:09 AM »
Just out of curiosity though, what democrats have been posting messages to their citizens like: 

... as his state is calling in the national guard to handle the overflow of corpses from the morgues

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6071 on: November 24, 2020, 10:15:02 AM »

Yes, So how do you feel about not having your daughter over, for fear, that YOU may catch it? And what are you doing to not catch it?

Did anyone bother asking those Old people you guys are concerned about these types of questions? I sure would have, and asked them straight up, Are you afraid of dying, right now? If so and if not, why so? And you'll find out it's all personal. And it's all their own Personal Risk they are taking when they walk out that door. Our chances of dying increase with age, and don't get better, unless we as young adults, don't do the things that will make our bodies increase those odds.

That's why I applaud Gmillers post about "We're getting what we deserved" Because that is a damn true statement. And a hard one to take. Because look at our food and look at our health, what caused us to have our odds of death increase to high numbers?

Instead of worrying about that old man, Why not ask him, how he feels about this. Obviously, he doesn't care about dying as he should know those odds of him dying are high. But he needs to live, he needs to eat, he needs to shit, he needs his meds to continue risking his life.

Out of respect, I wear my mask while I am out. But, if you are high risk, and are out and about when you shouldn't be if you are worried about dying from covid, I am going to assume you understand those odds when you walk out that door.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6072 on: November 24, 2020, 10:18:58 AM »
I'd hazard a guess that the last words out of the old couple Chino referenced were not "that wedding sure was worth dying for".
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #6073 on: November 24, 2020, 10:34:02 AM »
I follow our County's FB page and the following was posted by a lady (posted last week):

I kicked COVIDS ass....almost. Spoiler...This post is meant to scare you.   Just because your husband, or friend, or coworker had mild symptoms does not mean that will be your fate! My first update I knew I was dealing with a virus 7-10 days, I got this, no biggie. Week two my fevers started getting higher, the aches and pains and chills were awful. I felt like I was suffocating just laying in bed. I stopped eating, still pushed fluids as much as possible. I ended up in the ER twice this past week from lethargy and extreme weakness. The protocol was always the same. My heartbeat was erratic, and breathing was fast and painful so they would push fluids, steroids, pain meds, through an IV, run an EKG and of course X-rays. I’m FINALLY feeling better, fever free for a full 24 hours. I still feel like I’m suffocating, I take a steroid before i even attempt to get up, and I also carry a rescue inhaler. My physician said to allow for up to a month of complete recovery, but THANK GOD I should not see any lasting effects. My X-rays look good. I’ve cried more than I ever have in my life just for the simple fact your independence is snatched completely from you. I missed my first born nephews wedding today. I asked the ER why they wouldn’t keep me and their reply was we have 25 more COVID patients with your symptoms that need this bed after you. Stay safe, it’s going to be a long winter.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6074 on: November 24, 2020, 10:36:07 AM »

If no one goes, they should get the hint. And if they don't, then send them an invitation to your "online zoom meeting unfriending party" for them.  :biggrin:

I don't find that baffling,  I would just be, "these guys are nuts, but I'm not going to that."

I just feel people are making a big deal about simple things like your example, because of FEAR. When all you have to do is "I am not doing that, you nuts", and hope they snap, and if not, then don't bother with them until the pandemic passes. If they unfriend you, then so be it. At least you are showing, you still wanted to keep that friendship. That's how you make it not about you, but about them, and hold true to your standards. Maybe, it's actually, letting it weed itself out. Self-sowing all the negative people and energy you don't need in your life.

I understand we are all worried about this Virus. But, why should I be worried, if I am not likely going to die. The ones who should be rightfully worried are those that will die from it. Those are the people we should be listening to. What is scary, is how unhealthy we have become due to our own self-indulgence of processed foods, due to our urgent/instant sense of lifestyle.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6075 on: November 24, 2020, 10:42:53 AM »
Well my Dr friend had a mom yelling at him because HE ruined Thanksgiving by their son testing positive and his guidance was to not gather with anyone for Thanksgiving.   :facepalm:

You like almost have to tell them in a different way. Something like "Do you have any family members with any of these health problems?", then list those that are vulnerable to the virus, and then if they respond with "Yes" and begin listing the family members that have those conditions, respond with "If you want to spend any time with them this Christmas, I would highly suggest, you keep little donny boy here at home."

These people need those hard truths told to them to understand, and comprehend, what is being told to them. Even at that, they won't grasp that. It's sad actually, that these people can't comprehend this. Why, can't they comprehend it, you know.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6076 on: November 24, 2020, 10:46:43 AM »

Just want to point out that I wasn't referring to business owners who are worried about going under as "assholes". I was referring more to the general population who are do nothing to even attempt to slow down the spread... people like this:

People in Florida 3 days ago:

Then there are the people like this, who joyously take pride in their selfishness and stupidity:
https://old.reddit.com/r/iamatotalpieceofshit/comments/k036ld/this_is_what_makes_americans_look_like_idiots/

Collectively, people are selfish and stupid, unaware of what they are doing in/to Nature. That's fact.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6077 on: November 24, 2020, 10:47:29 AM »
I understand we are all worried about this Virus. But, why should I be worried, if I am not likely going to die. The ones who should be rightfully worried are those that will die from it. Those are the people we should be listening to. What is scary, is how unhealthy we have become due to our own self-indulgence of processed foods, due to our urgent/instant sense of lifestyle.

You answered your own question, my guy. Focusing on unhealthy diets should be a general concern but it shouldn't be your core focus of this pandemic. You should be concerned about being asymptomatic unbeknownst to you and giving it to one of those people that could die from it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6078 on: November 24, 2020, 10:54:57 AM »
I follow our County's FB page and the following was posted by a lady (posted last week):

I kicked COVIDS ass....almost. Spoiler...This post is meant to scare you.   Just because your husband, or friend, or coworker had mild symptoms does not mean that will be your fate! My first update I knew I was dealing with a virus 7-10 days, I got this, no biggie. Week two my fevers started getting higher, the aches and pains and chills were awful. I felt like I was suffocating just laying in bed. I stopped eating, still pushed fluids as much as possible. I ended up in the ER twice this past week from lethargy and extreme weakness. The protocol was always the same. My heartbeat was erratic, and breathing was fast and painful so they would push fluids, steroids, pain meds, through an IV, run an EKG and of course X-rays. I’m FINALLY feeling better, fever free for a full 24 hours. I still feel like I’m suffocating, I take a steroid before i even attempt to get up, and I also carry a rescue inhaler. My physician said to allow for up to a month of complete recovery, but THANK GOD I should not see any lasting effects. My X-rays look good. I’ve cried more than I ever have in my life just for the simple fact your independence is snatched completely from you. I missed my first born nephews wedding today. I asked the ER why they wouldn’t keep me and their reply was we have 25 more COVID patients with your symptoms that need this bed after you. Stay safe, it’s going to be a long winter.

To the bolded: Yes, exactly why this is personal. If you know your body, you should know where you may stand if you were to get these symptoms, and should know those that do get those symptoms are pretty bad in health. So, if you do get those symptoms, you probably are in that bad of health, but don't know it, because you haven't went to the doctors for an annual check up.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6079 on: November 24, 2020, 11:00:19 AM »

To the bolded: Yes, exactly why this is personal. If you know your body, you should know where you may stand if you were to get these symptoms, and should know those that do get those symptoms are pretty bad in health. So, if you do get those symptoms, you probably are in that bad of health, but don't know it, because you haven't went to the doctors for an annual check up.

It didn't kill Donald Trump or Chirs Christie, yet it's killed otherwise 100% healthy teenagers. You could "know your body" all you want, but it's clear that doesn't mean dick, unless I'm wrong and somehow missing Trump and Christie's bodies as being the pinnacle of human health.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6080 on: November 24, 2020, 11:03:22 AM »

You answered your own question, my guy. Focusing on unhealthy diets should be a general concern but it shouldn't be your core focus of this pandemic. You should be concerned about being asymptomatic unbeknownst to you and giving it to one of those people that could die from it.

Yeah, stay away from me. I may pass it on to you. But, why are you here in front of me, if you are so worried about me passing it onto you. Shouldn't you be in a bubble?  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6081 on: November 24, 2020, 11:30:02 AM »
I'd hazard a guess that the last words out of the old couple Chino referenced were not "that wedding sure was worth dying for".

Technically, you are probably right.  But at the same time, I think the way you framed it is probably completely wrong.  Yeah, in retrospect, I'm sure most people probably wouldn't say "[specific event] was worth dying for."  But there are a good many people out there who do responsibly make their own risk assessment, realizing that as long as they take certain precautions, the odds are still overwhelmingly in their favor, but that there is still an inherent risk, and choose to prioritize living their lives with a certain level of social interaction over living their lives in isolation.  There are far too many variables in that equation to assume you know what somebody is thinking, and to be able to cast valid judgment on their decisions.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6082 on: November 24, 2020, 11:39:56 AM »

Technically, you are probably right.  But at the same time, I think the way you framed it is probably completely wrong.  Yeah, in retrospect, I'm sure most people probably wouldn't say "[specific event] was worth dying for."  But there are a good many people out there who do responsibly make their own risk assessment, realizing that as long as they take certain precautions, the odds are still overwhelmingly in their favor, but that there is still an inherent risk, and choose to prioritize living their lives with a certain level of social interaction over living their lives in isolation.  There are far too many variables in that equation to assume you know what somebody is thinking, and to be able to cast valid judgment on their decisions.

I agree but can I trust the others to do so.  That is where I see the real danger.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6083 on: November 24, 2020, 07:35:32 PM »

It didn't kill Donald Trump or Chirs Christie, yet it's killed otherwise 100% healthy teenagers. You could "know your body" all you want, but it's clear that doesn't mean dick, unless I'm wrong and somehow missing Trump and Christie's bodies as being the pinnacle of human health.

Trump and Christie have access to significantly better access to top health care.  Christie also had it bad from my understand (I still am not sure how bad Trump's was).   I do wonder if those teens were 100% healthy. It's possible, but VERY rare for young 100% healthy people to die.  However, it doesn't change the fact that this virus effects people differently and that it is possible to die from this regardless of what you think your personal health is.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6084 on: November 24, 2020, 08:05:58 PM »

To some degree, I can see where you're coming from.  Like, if I get t-boned on the way to pick up groceries, that's hardly worth dying for.  But in a global pandemic that has an incredibly higher rate of mortality for the elderly, to put oneself in such a high risk situation reeks of 'non-believer' ... imo.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6085 on: November 24, 2020, 09:57:03 PM »

Is anyone, really 100% healthy?

And who the hell mentioned Trump or Christie? You brought them up yourself.

I haven't gone to the doctors, but I know darn well, I likely have some sort of health problem, with the way I have been drinking and smoking. Yet, here I am, still going out to live my life, as much as possible, and doing my best to stay away from Old People. But it's hard when those old people are out there, So If I can get it and am in no worry, I am sure they aren't. I am for damned sure, more unhealthy and more susceptible to getting it, than most of you are. Most of you, i'm sure have nothing to worry about. Unless, you do have something you are unaware about...Which I am sure I do.

In other words. To me, I feel it's too complicated and too personal of a virus, to be blaming people for not doing what the health people suggest should be done. It's not like it's smallpox, now that is scary.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #6086 on: November 25, 2020, 06:41:12 AM »

Is anyone, really 100% healthy?

And who the hell mentioned Trump or Christie? You brought them up yourself.

I haven't gone to the doctors, but I know darn well, I likely have some sort of health problem, with the way I have been drinking and smoking. Yet, here I am, still going out to live my life, as much as possible, and doing my best to stay away from Old People. But it's hard when those old people are out there, So If I can get it and am in no worry, I am sure they aren't. I am for damned sure, more unhealthy and more susceptible to getting it, than most of you are. Most of you, i'm sure have nothing to worry about. Unless, you do have something you are unaware about...Which I am sure I do.

In other words. To me, I feel it's too complicated and too personal of a virus, to be blaming people for not doing what the health people suggest should be done. It's not like it's smallpox, now that is scary.

No offense but how you "feel" is irrelevant.  What's relevant are the facts.  And the facts are:

1. we have cured smallpox, so your comparison is, frankly, absurd.
2. Anyone who isn't doing what the health officials and doctors are saying is the best way(s) to prevent the spread of this thing are part of the problem.

Those are unmitigated facts.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6087 on: November 25, 2020, 07:45:23 AM »
Well hold on now. If that's all it takes - "follow what the people up top say" and you aren't part of the problem - then people who weren't wearing masks early on were doing a good thing, because Fauci first said you didn't need masks before backtracking and saying the exact opposite. Not because of a concern for individuals' health, but so that hospitals wouldn't lose out on mask supplies, which I think was a shitty thing to say and do because it undermined public trust in health officials. So I don't think that is, respectfully, a be-all-end-all argument. Unmitigated? I don't think so.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6088 on: November 25, 2020, 07:53:51 AM »
Do you think he was influenced by the elected officials to make those statements at the time?  Or that the more they learned they adjusted?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6089 on: November 25, 2020, 07:55:05 AM »
Well hold on now. If that's all it takes - "follow what the people up top say" and you aren't part of the problem - then people who weren't wearing masks early on were doing a good thing, because Fauci first said you didn't need masks before backtracking and saying the exact opposite. Not because of a concern for individuals' health, but so that hospitals wouldn't lose out on mask supplies, which I think was a shitty thing to say and do because it undermined public trust in health officials. So I don't think that is, respectfully, a be-all-end-all argument. Unmitigated? I don't think so.

Not saying you're right or wrong, and I guess it could still be open to interpretation, but here are Facui's words on the matter:

https://www.businessinsider.com/fauci-doesnt-regret-advising-against-masks-early-in-pandemic-2020-7