Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 434620 times)

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #5880 on: November 15, 2020, 07:00:46 PM »
Illinois/Chicago has a "stay at home" recommendation.  Not an order, just advising people to stay at home unless you need to leave for essential reasons (work, food shopping, medical).  My family has been doing that for the last 8-9 months, so it's nothing new for us.  Though other trips to stores (hardware/pet store) are also essential to us.  I've done a lot of smaller projects around the house this year.

We bought my daughter some pet fish, our first family pet.  She's had an awful time over the last few months with remote learning for kindergarten and not being able to play with friends.  It's been a very solitary life for her, and we can't keep buying her toys every month.  So we're giving fish a try. 

Indoor dining is supposed to be closed.  Some restaurants are abiding by the order, others are directly flouting it. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5881 on: November 15, 2020, 07:04:09 PM »
Illinois/Chicago has a "stay at home" recommendation.  Not an order, just advising people to stay at home unless you need to leave for essential reasons (work, food shopping, medical).  My family has been doing that for the last 8-9 months, so it's nothing new for us.  Though other trips to stores (hardware/pet store) are also essential to us.  I've done a lot of smaller projects around the house this year.

We bought my daughter some pet fish, our first family pet.  She's had an awful time over the last few months with remote learning for kindergarten and not being able to play with friends.  It's been a very solitary life for her, and we can't keep buying her toys every month.  So we're giving fish a try. 

Indoor dining is supposed to be closed.  Some restaurants are abiding by the order, others are directly flouting it.

Rescheduled a date today for next Sunday due to a combination of no indoor dining + insane wind today. Damn you, covid!! It seems like places are gearing up for the winter with tents and heaters. I feel so bad for restaurants and clubs who have to figure out how to continue to stay alive, now in winter.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5882 on: November 15, 2020, 07:06:25 PM »

Our daughter wanted a cat; and when we nixed that, and bunny; and when we nixed that, a fish. We actually liked that idea, and got her a nice tank and let her pick out the decorations. She has really enjoyed it, and been very responsible in feeding it and helping me keep it clean.

With our kids we're lucky that one daughter is old enough to be able to connect with friends through some online apps, and the other is young enough to not understand what is going on. I think for kids in the Kindergarten range it would be the worst.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Grappler

« Reply #5883 on: November 15, 2020, 07:21:42 PM »

Our daughter wanted a cat; and when we nixed that, and bunny; and when we nixed that, a fish. We actually liked that idea, and got her a nice tank and let her pick out the decorations. She has really enjoyed it, and been very responsible in feeding it and helping me keep it clean.

With our kids we're lucky that one daughter is old enough to be able to connect with friends through some online apps, and the other is young enough to not understand what is going on. I think for kids in the Kindergarten range it would be the worst.

We did the same - my allergies prevent us from having a dog or cat.  I'm not fond of gerbils, hamsters or anything else that can get loose.  I had a fish tank when I was a kid, but haven't since.  We picked out a small, 3.5 gallon starter kit and I let her pick the decorations with a little guidance so the tank wouldn't be too cluttered.  Today we picked out 3 guppies.  The tank sits on her dresser and she'll be in charge of feeding the fish every day.  She was so excited, and it was nice to make her happy.

It's been a hard year for her.  She wants to play with her preschool friends, she wants to be in school for kindergarten and meeting new friends.  She wants to see her teachers.  We've kept the kids as close to home as possible, though she did summer camp with 5-7 other kids.  We see my parents and inlaws frequently, so she gets to see her grandparents and spend time with them.  But anything fun has been nixed - no malls, no museums, no zoos, no play-places (aside from outdoor parks). 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5884 on: November 15, 2020, 08:13:10 PM »
We bought our kids more stuff this year because we figured we were saving a lot of money on things we couldn't do and places we couldn't go to. We also let them play with a couple neighbors who we entrusted as part of our extended Covid family over the summer. That was the biggest life saver for us, having that interaction and getting out of the house, even if to just play in the cul-de-sac.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5885 on: November 15, 2020, 08:24:22 PM »
I feel for you guys with younger kids.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5886 on: November 16, 2020, 07:11:48 AM »

yeah... anyone in the elementary or secondary school system.  I couldn't imagine the shit show.  Very thankful to have adult aged children that are both in post-secondary programs that are able to adapt to 100% online.  Some challenges in that adaptation, but by-and-large, it seems to be working.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5887 on: November 16, 2020, 07:20:03 AM »

yeah... anyone in the elementary or secondary school system.  I couldn't imagine the shit show.  Very thankful to have adult aged children that are both in post-secondary programs that are able to adapt to 100% online.  Some challenges in that adaptation, but by-and-large, it seems to be working.

The other thing is I can't imagine juggling work schedules for this. It was enough of a nightmare when my kids were little and going to school.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5888 on: November 16, 2020, 07:26:20 AM »

The other thing is I can't imagine juggling work schedules for this. It was enough of a nightmare when my kids were little and going to school.

15 miles uphill in the snow, right?  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline emtee

« Reply #5889 on: November 16, 2020, 07:43:19 AM »
FL went from 4.6K to 10.1K new cases in one day. I strongly suspect Halloween parties and gatherings are the culprit.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5890 on: November 16, 2020, 08:28:44 AM »

It's fascinating the dichotomy, though.   My daughter - 19 and in her second year of college - is friggin' KILLING it.  Literally 4.0's.    It's basically given her the structure to make the right balance.   She has her "college fun" at night, but during the day - when I would have been day-drinking and playing marathon Set-Back games - she's studying.     My step-son - 12 and in 7th grade - hasn't learned a single thing since February.   My wife is holding out hope but I'm already gearing up for the parent/teacher conference where they tell us "he should repeat his grade".   I know this sounds like I'm just letting it happen; that couldn't be further from the truth, I'm just not going into it here.   But "shit show" doesn't even begin to cover how I'd describe it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5891 on: November 16, 2020, 09:02:14 AM »
The Moderna vaccine is apparantly 94% effective and doesn't require the frozen storage.  Some positive news today.

In the negative news, NJ's cases (like most of the US) are skyrocketing.  Last week they had bars and anything indoor shutdown at 10pm.  Today the governor announced no more the 25% capacity at any indoor event (religious gatherings) and no more than 10 people at indoor gatherings.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5892 on: November 16, 2020, 09:13:18 AM »

I'm just sad for my boys. They don't get to see their buddies.....their missing the 'experience' of being in school. It's such a bummer. As for academic, it's just a nightmare. I have two in middle school and one in 5th grade and while they are doing incredible at keeping up with the work given....the work itself is a fraction of what they 'should' be learning. The curriculum has been trimmed to such a basic minimum 'need to know' for the grade level that it's painfully clear they're not learning anymore....that it's just an effort to place them all in a 'knowledge holding pattern' of sorts. I know this is going on nation wide and all parents and students are dealing with it but it's frightening to think about the effect it's going to have moving forward.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5893 on: November 16, 2020, 09:23:29 AM »
The Moderna vaccine is apparantly 94% effective and doesn't require the frozen storage.  Some positive news today.

In the negative news, NJ's cases (like most of the US) are skyrocketing.  Last week they had bars and anything indoor shutdown at 10pm.  Today the governor announced no more the 25% capacity at any indoor event (religious gatherings) and no more than 10 people at indoor gatherings.

I'm convinced, it's because Thanksgiving is coming up and they don't want people to be Gathering, because they know they can't control us. But, they can scare us.... :lol

But yeah, Nothing surprising here. Of course the case numbers were going to go up. People are spending more time indoors, as it's colder, and standing in the long lines. People catching common colds, and getting more sick during the fall/winter times, is common. Putting that into logic though, Those that didn't bother getting tested before, and now feel more symptoms because of the cold, are finding out, they have covid-19. My question now is, how long does the antibodies last where it could be retriggered by catching the common cold? I ask this because if those people had Covid antibodies, it means they had it before, but never got tested due to not showing symptoms that are of any concern, until those symptoms were of concern.

That is one concern I really have with this. How many people never got tested because they don't see any concern for a cough or a slight itch in the throat, but since they did get tested now, are showing up positive now? Is this the reason numbers are higher?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5894 on: November 16, 2020, 09:40:29 AM »
The fact that the USA went from 10 million to 11 million cases in 6 days frightens the shit out of me. Wonder how long before we get a million in one day.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5895 on: November 16, 2020, 09:41:01 AM »
I went to the mall this weekend in search of a new jacket at the same store I bought one some years ago, was gonna be a real quick 10 minutes in and out because I do not fuck around. When I got there, you'd think there wasn't a pandemic, other than people wearing masks. Business as usual. Long lines, just socially distanced... clusters of people... people everywhere. Skeeved me out to the point where I got out of dodge real quick, came home, and took a hot shower. Bleh.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5896 on: November 16, 2020, 09:44:03 AM »
Was chatting with my orthopedic surgeon friend from college who lives in the middle of no where in NY state.  He said his small hospital's ICU is already full which means by state rules they have to shutdown a lot of things, including his own surgeries. 

I think the hospitals in NJ are mostly OK, but it is ticking up.  It's not quite the same as last April, but it's on trajectory to start getting really bad if people continue to gather, which we know is going to happen next week.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5897 on: November 16, 2020, 09:56:34 AM »
I went to the mall this weekend in search of a new jacket at the same store I bought one some years ago, was gonna be a real quick 10 minutes in and out because I do not fuck around. When I got there, you'd think there wasn't a pandemic, other than people wearing masks. Business as usual. Long lines, just socially distanced... clusters of people... people everywhere. Skeeved me out to the point where I got out of dodge real quick, came home, and took a hot shower. Bleh.

You can get Members Only jackets from Macy's Online, or Amazon.

:)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5898 on: November 16, 2020, 10:07:16 AM »
 :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5899 on: November 16, 2020, 10:07:58 AM »

I came home and just ordered some soap that smells like a campfire instead. And realized I had a brand new coat to break out for the winter anyway. Then I smoked a giant cigar and drank some Founders KBS. Still get skeeved out thinking about the mall people though.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5900 on: November 16, 2020, 10:14:58 AM »

I came home and just ordered some soap that smells like a campfire instead. And realized I had a brand new coat to break out for the winter anyway. Then I smoked a giant cigar and drank some Founders KBS. Still get skeeved out thinking about the mall people though.

You ordered Dr. Squatch Soap, didn't you?  :biggrin:

I actually am thinking about trying that....

Also, have you thought about trying John Petrucci's Beard product... :yarr

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5901 on: November 16, 2020, 10:17:18 AM »
I've thought about it but $40 for a bottle of beard oil is fucking ludicrous. Hard pass. Maybe the balm because it's more reasonably priced, though. Not Dr. Squatch although you're close; Outlaw Soaps. Hoping it's as good as I hear. $20 better be worth it, but I also love scented things and trying new bath products, so why not. I also hear it helps fight the rona. I heard that from myself

EDIT: nevermind I was looking at the wrong package, that was a combo deal; the products are reasonably priced! - only slightly higher than what I usually pay - but I'm fully stocked at the moment, so maaaybe in the future

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5902 on: November 16, 2020, 10:45:26 AM »

I am not falling for that youtube ad I constantly get  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5903 on: November 16, 2020, 12:17:21 PM »

I am not falling for that youtube ad I constantly get  :lol

That's why I don't want to buy it.  :lol

Their ads are hilarious though. I give them a  :tup for that.

At least, it's not Achievement Hunter and Me Undies.  :rollin

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5904 on: November 16, 2020, 01:17:21 PM »
"MeUndies, MeUndies, doo doo doo, cradle your balls in the winter of America's discontent, MeUndies~" - Bill Burr, every podcast

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5905 on: November 16, 2020, 01:23:38 PM »
"MeUndies, MeUndies, doo doo doo, cradle your balls in the winter of America's discontent, MeUndies~" - Bill Burr, every podcast

Lightspeed Brand Briefs

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #5906 on: November 16, 2020, 07:51:14 PM »
Illinois has just exploded with cases. My county, which was barely touched for the longest time is a nightmare. 7 day rolling positivity rate of 17%. That school district I mentioned earlier that is north of me and in my county, now has 118 staff and 458 students in quarantine. Just got a call from my son's district stating that all in school learning is off. Going all virtual now.

My manager called an all-hands this afternoon. Her and my director sat down and decided they are going against the company suggestion of 50% in office attendance as the main office is in Chicago which just started a month long stay-at-home suggestion. Told everyone to stay home and she is going to stop looking at attendance reports for in building people. She's not even going in.

I fear Turkey Day is only going to make things even worse than they already are.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5907 on: November 16, 2020, 09:26:41 PM »
Yeah IL is really bad. Like 10 times worse than when we actually had a stay at home order. Not sure why the hell nothing is being done this time other than closing indoor dining, which never should've been open in the first place.

Online Grappler

« Reply #5908 on: November 17, 2020, 05:40:48 AM »
I didn't realize you're from Illinois as well, Implode.

I've been commuting into downtown Chicago once a week since July.  My boss just gave me the OK to stay home until after Thanksgiving.  The Metra trains have been pretty empty, so I'm not bothered by going downtown, but it's a bit weird to leave the house knowing that so many people have been getting sick.  It would be different if i were spending 70-90 minutes in a crowded train car. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5909 on: November 17, 2020, 06:03:13 AM »
Yeah IL is really bad. Like 10 times worse than when we actually had a stay at home order. Not sure why the hell nothing is being done this time other than closing indoor dining, which never should've been open in the first place.

I don't get it either.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5910 on: November 17, 2020, 06:10:46 AM »
One thing I've noticed around here is that many restaurants are setting up tents outside...with sidings, being heated by propane heaters.

Can I ask a dumb question? How is this any safer than actually eating inside?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #5911 on: November 17, 2020, 06:23:51 AM »
I fear Turkey Day is only going to make things even worse than they already are.
USA has a huge disadvantage of having another holiday so close to Christmas. Europe shut down a few weeks ago in general and we mostly stand a chance of a "okay I guess seeing your family is okay now*, but don't have more than 10 people, bla bla" Christmas. If you guys don't curb it for Thanksgiving...

*unless you live outside of your home country, but who cares about us :yeahright we can only travel if we can save 10 days x 2 for quarantines in and out, most likely.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5912 on: November 17, 2020, 06:59:47 AM »
As much as I want to celebrate Thanksgiving with my parents an siblings, part of me wishes they'd just make us all stay home again. Announce it in a way that makes it clear that we're sacrificing Thanksgiving so we can save Christmas. That said, I'll be celebrating Thanksgiving with a smaller than normal crew as long as we're able to.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5913 on: November 17, 2020, 07:04:42 AM »
One thing I've noticed around here is that many restaurants are setting up tents outside...with sidings, being heated by propane heaters.

Nope, and in CA at least it shouldn't be done, though a huge swath of places are ignoring it.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5914 on: November 17, 2020, 07:29:17 AM »

It's not. But if a restaurant is only allowed to have 25%-50% capacity, and you could get closer to your pre-Covid numbers by expanding your footprint to an outside tent, I can see why they'd do that.