Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 435361 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #5775 on: November 09, 2020, 08:31:41 AM »
Some good news on the vaccine front today, Pfizer said its Covid-19 vaccine is 90% effective

And the bad news (although, maybe necessary) at 1pm today, the NJ governor said he's announcing new restrictions.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5776 on: November 09, 2020, 10:42:48 AM »
So my father-in-law has been in ICU for the last week with COVID, so that has sucked.  He finally got moved out of ICU yesterday, but he will probably remain hospitalized for at least a few more days.

My sister-in-law was also hospitalized with COVID last week (and double pneumonia), but she got to come home Saturday.

Both were treated with Remdesevir.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5777 on: November 09, 2020, 11:29:25 AM »
So my father-in-law has been in ICU for the last week with COVID, so that has sucked.  He finally got moved out of ICU yesterday, but he will probably remain hospitalized for at least a few more days.

My sister-in-law was also hospitalized with COVID last week (and double pneumonia), but she got to come home Saturday.

My god.  Prayers to you and your family.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5778 on: November 09, 2020, 11:31:02 AM »
Damn, that is terrible Hef, hope they can recover soon

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5779 on: November 09, 2020, 12:34:56 PM »
Thanks, guys.  Like I said, we are definitely in a better place now than we were a week ago.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5780 on: November 09, 2020, 12:47:49 PM »
Son of a bitch, man.  I'm glad things are 'better', but I'll bet that was brutal on you and your wife/daughter!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #5781 on: November 09, 2020, 12:57:59 PM »
Glad things are getting better, good lord.

My wife lost her grandmother to COVID last month. She was very old and already in failing health, but the virus is what did her in. She would still be here otherwise.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5782 on: November 09, 2020, 12:58:43 PM »
Son of a bitch, man.  I'm glad things are 'better', but I'll bet that was brutal on you and your wife/daughter!
There were definitely some scary moments.

I told my wife that her dad is too mean to die from this.  He is proving me right lol

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #5783 on: November 09, 2020, 12:59:33 PM »
That's brutal, Hef.  Glad things are looking up at this point, though.

Got my own considerations here as well.  A patient of mine that I treated last Monday canceled her appointment this afternoon as she tested positive for COVID.  Symptoms for her started last Friday, and the CDC (and thus my company's policies/guidelines) say that anyone that had close contact (which I'm a physical therapist, so "close contact" is unavoidable with most of my patients, especially since I'm treating her shoulder and she needs a lot of hands-on work) within 48 hours of symptom onset should get tested, so I'm outside of that window, thankfully.  I also was wearing the proper recommended protective equipment, and I cleanse my hands after each patient, so that also places things at lower risk.  My debate is do I get tested anyway, just in case, and thus run the risk of spending two weeks' worth, or more, of PTO that I really can't afford to do right now, or just monitor my own symptoms and let it ride for the next week and just be a bit more cautious than I normally am, since it's technically within advisement of the company and the CDC?

I'm not entirely sure what I should do. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5784 on: November 09, 2020, 01:01:05 PM »
Your company would make you take PTO if you got covid? That's terrible.

My wife lost her grandmother to COVID last month. She was very old and already in failing health, but the virus is what did her in. She would still be here otherwise.

Shit, sorry for your loss.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #5785 on: November 09, 2020, 01:08:09 PM »
Your company would make you take PTO if you got covid? That's terrible.

That's also something that I need to clarify with my supervisor.  I let him know about the potential exposure, and he basically defaulted to the policies I mentioned.  I'm guessing that since I fall outside of that specified 48 hour window that it'd be on me, but I don't know for sure.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #5786 on: November 09, 2020, 01:32:37 PM »
I posted awhile back that I thought that the virus was on our shores around October/November and that wifey and I were freakingly ill in August so I wondered if it could have been COVID?

Well talking to a friend today, he was sick in August that lasted on and off for a couple of months. I remember this well because he was an important resource on my project and he was always out. He tested negative for the flu and had all the classic symptoms but no loss taste or smell. The doctors gave him all kinds of Z-Pack and antibiotics but couldn't figure out what was going on. He thinks it was the covids.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5787 on: November 09, 2020, 01:47:53 PM »
Unbelievable that after all this time in the richest country on the entire planet and we are still in the worst shape of ANYONE else and it's not even close.  126K cases yesterday, an all-time high.  And those are just the ones we know about, some estimates say the actual caseload is somewhere between 3 and 5 times greater than what's reported in the media because we simply can't test everyone so thousands of cases are going undetected here because we fucking suck.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5788 on: November 09, 2020, 01:59:34 PM »
I forgot to post that both my youngest daughter and her husband (she's 30 and he's 32) have COVID and have been quarantined in their home with manageable symptoms. My son-in-law brought it home from work, where it's been rampaging through the company, roughly 10 days ago. Both are expected to be fine, but it's got me biting my nails in fear.

I haven't seen any of my children or grandchildren in person for more than a month.

I'm glad your family is improving, Hef. All my best.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5789 on: November 09, 2020, 02:05:23 PM »
My best friend probably has rona now, which, honestly, I'm surprised it's taken this long considering his nightly habits

One of my dad's friends showed up this morning, shook my hand, and then told me his sister was back at home now... quarantining after just getting released from the hospital with COVID. Thanks pal!!!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #5790 on: November 09, 2020, 02:08:12 PM »
Unbelievable that after all this time in the richest country on the entire planet and we are still in the worst shape of ANYONE else and it's not even close.  126K cases yesterday, an all-time high.  And those are just the ones we know about, some estimates say the actual caseload is somewhere between 3 and 5 times greater than what's reported in the media because we simply can't test everyone so thousands of cases are going undetected here because we fucking suck.

Our response to the covids should radically change in the coming months.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5791 on: November 09, 2020, 02:25:20 PM »
I forgot to post that both my youngest daughter and her husband (she's 30 and he's 32) have COVID and have been quarantined in their home with manageable symptoms. My son-in-law brought it home from work, where it's been rampaging through the company, roughly 10 days ago. Both are expected to be fine, but it's got me biting my nails in fear.

I haven't seen any of my children or grandchildren in person for more than a month.

Glad to hear they're doing 'well' with manageable symptoms......with our little scare last week with our oldest son it's brutal to think about when you're kids are involved.

And Hef....many prayers to your family that they both continue to heal and recover fully and quickly.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5792 on: November 09, 2020, 02:41:35 PM »

My sympathy and condolences for the loss...

But, and this isn't directly at you, it's about those people whom are very old and have failing health. "They would still be here"...Yes, they would, but we don't know for how long. I know some people that were very old, and in failing health, and succumbed, by dying in their sleep. That's the thing about the very old with failing health. It's why I say, to ask the older ones, how they feel about death and are they ready to accept it, because they are fragile, and even a small fall can end up being life threatening. It's a thing to ask, in the case of a sudden death, or illness, where they can't recover from because their organs, and immune system is just too old, that way you yourself can accept their position of death and dying, and be mentally and emotionally ready for when that day comes.

Actually, that could be said about anyone with a life-threatening illness.

"When we fear death, we stop living.

We like to feel invincible or immortal for that matter. But not thinking about death won’t make your life last forever. It takes guts to confront this vulnerable truth: the only sure thing is how uncertain life is.

We avoid thinking about death, yet we fear it in silence. Keeping the “what if I die tomorrow?” question present will free you from that worry that exists at a subconscious level."
https://liberationist.org/why-accepting-death-will-make-you-worry-less/

Covid-19 is making a lot of us, think about this topic and reflect upon it.

As cheesy, and unrealistic, it may be for some of you. I pray for people to be strong against the symptoms, and to be more healthier. That's including all the ones going through this on this board. Be strong, and don't give up. The mindset and will you have to live, can overcome many instances of facing Death. This is one of those fights.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5793 on: November 09, 2020, 02:43:49 PM »

Just asking but on what basis?

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5794 on: November 09, 2020, 02:49:16 PM »
That's brutal, Hef.  Glad things are looking up at this point, though.

Got my own considerations here as well.  A patient of mine that I treated last Monday canceled her appointment this afternoon as she tested positive for COVID.  Symptoms for her started last Friday, and the CDC (and thus my company's policies/guidelines) say that anyone that had close contact (which I'm a physical therapist, so "close contact" is unavoidable with most of my patients, especially since I'm treating her shoulder and she needs a lot of hands-on work) within 48 hours of symptom onset should get tested, so I'm outside of that window, thankfully.  I also was wearing the proper recommended protective equipment, and I cleanse my hands after each patient, so that also places things at lower risk.  My debate is do I get tested anyway, just in case, and thus run the risk of spending two weeks' worth, or more, of PTO that I really can't afford to do right now, or just monitor my own symptoms and let it ride for the next week and just be a bit more cautious than I normally am, since it's technically within advisement of the company and the CDC?

I'm not entirely sure what I should do.

At least you got that choice. We have to get mandatory tested, as someone got tested positive for it here. They showed mild symptoms.

The odd thing is though, the significant other, who was really sick earlier in the year, and diagnosed with a "stronger flu", tested negative for covid.

I haven't got it, and haven't felt any symptoms, other than my annual allergy sinus pressure. I got tested last week, was negative, and got tested again today.... :tdwn :tdwn

It wasn't as bad though, and was actually the least invasive out of all the ones I got. It all depends on the nurse that administers the test, though.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5795 on: November 09, 2020, 02:56:26 PM »
I actually had a sore throat this weekend, and it's already mostly gone today but I told myself if it got worse I should get tested just to put myself and everyone at work at ease. (I don't have any known exposure and hadn't done much of anything the last few weeks so I didn't really think I got the covid)  Luckily, like I said, I feel fine today, but I did do my initial search into getting tested if needed to.  I noticed CVS gives you a swab to do the test on yourself.  I've got to say, I think I'd have a hard time shoving that all the way up my nose and might actually need someone to do it for me  :lol  Looked like different places do things differently though so there were options to go into a doctors office. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5796 on: November 09, 2020, 03:00:13 PM »
I actually had a sore throat this weekend, and it's already mostly gone today but I told myself if it got worse I should get tested just to put myself and everyone at work at ease. (I don't have any known exposure and hadn't done much of anything the last few weeks so I didn't really think I got the covid)  Luckily, like I said, I feel fine today, but I did do my initial search into getting tested if needed to.  I noticed CVS gives you a swab to do the test on yourself.  I've got to say, I think I'd have a hard time shoving that all the way up my nose and might actually need someone to do it for me  :lol  Looked like different places do things differently though so there were options to go into a doctors office.

Oh yup, it's all different. I wouldn't trust doing the self-test myself, as I might not do it right. I thought it was required the test had to be administered by a nurse or health professional. Maybe, it's just my state.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5797 on: November 09, 2020, 03:02:23 PM »

Oh yup, it's all different. I wouldn't trust doing the self-test myself, as I might not do it right. I thought it was required the test had to be administered by a nurse or health professional. Maybe, it's just my state.

I asked my sister about it as she was recently positive and tested a couple times.  She said her husband did it himself but she had someone administer it for her.  I definitely didn't know until yesterday you had the option to do it yourself, I really would struggle with that if that were my only option.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5798 on: November 09, 2020, 03:05:38 PM »

I asked my sister about it as she was recently positive and tested a couple times.  She said her husband did it himself but she had someone administer it for her.  I definitely didn't know until yesterday you had the option to do it yourself, I really would struggle with that if that were my only option.

You saying that there are those tests, got me even more confused about this whole reaction thing.  :lol

That Covid-19 book I'm reading is helping to rationalize things a bit for me, and help me understand it in the broader viewpoint of Pandemics.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5799 on: November 09, 2020, 03:07:50 PM »

According to the web page listed in the OP of this very thread. USA is #1 in cases, but #16 in cases per million. #10 in deaths per million. So I guess it depends on how you look at it, but we certainly can't be proud of our response to the pandemic. Most of the countries who can be said to have it worse than us, don't have our wealth or resources.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5800 on: November 09, 2020, 03:11:11 PM »

According to the web page listed in the OP of this very thread. USA is #1 in cases, but #16 in cases per million. #10 in deaths per million. So I guess it depends on how you look at it, but we certainly can't be proud of our response to the pandemic. Most of the countries who can be said to have it worse than us, don't have our wealth or resources.

I could take the bolded statement literally, we are one of the most unhealthy countries and covid clearly doesn't go well for people who are already unhealthy so naturally we would be one of the worst if not the worst.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #5801 on: November 09, 2020, 03:17:50 PM »
Our CVS has an expanded minute clinic and they will not administer any tests inside, but you can self test thru the drive thru window.  Like others, I do not trust myself to self test.  I am sure I would hold back on how far to shove the swab up my nose.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5802 on: November 09, 2020, 08:29:03 PM »

There's no fucking way I could do that to myself.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5803 on: November 09, 2020, 09:43:23 PM »
My best friend probably has rona now, which, honestly, I'm surprised it's taken this long considering his nightly habits

One of my dad's friends showed up this morning, shook my hand, and then told me his sister was back at home now... quarantining after just getting released from the hospital with COVID. Thanks pal!!!

I guess my question is why is anyone shaking hands for any reason??  That’s the first and (IMO) most obvious thing to stop doing in a pandemic like this.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline emtee

« Reply #5804 on: November 10, 2020, 02:02:07 AM »

So sorry to hear.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5805 on: November 10, 2020, 08:02:57 AM »

Here's my source for cases and deaths per million.  Just over the summer and into early fall, we were No. 10 or 11 on cases per million, so we're improving on that metric*.   Not that we should be celebrating that other countries have more sick people per capita, but a little perspective is in order.   

And as for resources, also not a complete picture.   If you look at this list of "best Healthcare in the world", San Marino and Andorra are better than us, and Andorra has the most cases per million of ANY country in the world, San Marino fourteenth.  France, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Luxembourg... all better than us, and all either in the same bracket or above us on "cases per million".   By my count, I see four countries with BETTER healthcare than us, and higher than us on the "cases per million" list.  To be fair, that doesn't hold with this source, though we're still 11th, behind France and the UK among others.

For "deaths per million", we are right in front of the UK (who has way less CASES per million, which means more of their cases are resulting in death, percentage wise), and again, BEHIND several countries that have ostensibly better healthcare than we do.

It's all bad, don't misunderstand me, but grand pronouncements should reflect the actual numbers, in my opinion. 

*This is where we go to the P/R thread.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5806 on: November 10, 2020, 08:07:32 AM »
Biden's to-be coronavirus mandates sound great for cities but good f'ing luck enforcing those out in rural America or getting people to follow things like 'gatherings limited to one household.'
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5807 on: November 10, 2020, 08:37:24 AM »
Biden's to-be coronavirus mandates sound great for cities but good f'ing luck enforcing those out in rural America or getting people to follow things like 'gatherings limited to one household.'
What does gatherings limited to one household mean? My household doesn't gather. We just live here. I assume this basically means that no one may enter your home unless they live there, which sounds utterly ridiculous and impossible to enforce.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5808 on: November 10, 2020, 08:44:30 AM »
What does gatherings limited to one household mean? My household doesn't gather. We just live here. I assume this basically means that no one may enter your home unless they live there, which sounds utterly ridiculous and impossible to enforce.

It means you don't hold gatherings with other families. For example, if one household has two parents and two kids, they shouldn't have the two parents and their three kids from next door over for an event.

Of course other people can enter your home. If you need contracting work done, or some critter exterminated, those people can still come and go. If a relative needs to come by, that's fine. If you have to go watch a niece or nephew while your sibling works, that's fine. The objective is to prevent groups from intermingling with other groups for extended periods of time for things like parties, wedding celebrations, celebrations of life, and gender reveals (all things I've been invited to in the last 5-6 weeks).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5809 on: November 10, 2020, 08:52:14 AM »
I just hung out with 3 buddies last night and have been doing so every few days for the last few weeks. Fuck that. I think if you feel it's safe and the people around you aren't exposed, live your life.