Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 435353 times)

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #5740 on: November 05, 2020, 02:40:06 AM »
...and I realize someone posted an article where children were unlikely to spread the virus but I still have my doubts. The mayor of our town told me the other day that half of the grade/middle school kids are home because they tested positive.

Our national institute of health just released epidemiological statistics from grade schools' autumn term so far.

Exposed pupils: 11 819
Positive cases*: 127

Exposed staff: 1 608
Positive cases*: 24

* From sources of exposure, presumably tested after showing symptoms
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5741 on: November 05, 2020, 04:36:08 AM »
...and I realize someone posted an article where children were unlikely to spread the virus but I still have my doubts. The mayor of our town told me the other day that half of the grade/middle school kids are home because they tested positive.

Our national institute of health just released epidemiological statistics from grade schools' autumn term so far.

Exposed pupils: 11 819
Positive cases*: 127

Exposed staff: 1 608
Positive cases*: 24

* From sources of exposure, presumably tested after showing symptoms
I am hugely skeptical that it isn't schools driving the recent spikes. Minnesota hovered around 6000 active cases all summer long through Memorial Day and 4th of July festivities, through massive protests over George Floyd. None of those things caused a noticeable increase in cases. Starting around Sep 1st, there has been a steady incline in the number of active cases where the active cases are more than double what they were over the summer. I don't know what else changed other than schools starting up again. It's not like all Minnesotans suddenly said "fuck it... I don't give a shit anymore and I'm doing whatever the hell I want." The weather didn't get bad until October, so it's not like being driven indoors caused it. I simply cant see what else it could have been besides schools and colleges starting up again with at least some in-person learning.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5742 on: November 05, 2020, 05:27:31 AM »
IMO, it's an overall movement back inside.  Many businesses tried to bring some people back to offices (even at reduced rates), and the general return of some business - retail, hospitality, recreation, restaurants etc...  Add in to that personal gatherings, and it's simply allowing the virus to be spread more rapidly/easily indoors.  On the latter, think about it ... if, for example, the local mandate is no more than 50 people gatherings in large indoor spaces, people might just stretch that to 60 people.  If it's 10 in your home, what's the big deal if you've got 12 people over.  Then there's all the people who just say fuckit, and don't follow anything, people who have given up on caring, and people who just get sloppy (I know I fall into that category occasionally... forgetting to keep 6 feet between me and the next person at the Costco cashier belt).

That, that ... that's what I think.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #5743 on: November 05, 2020, 06:44:26 AM »
IMO, it's an overall movement back inside.

Indeed. Some sources have said the virus would thrive better when temperatures get cooler and the moisture goes down, but I'm not that sure (would play well with the George Floyd thing though). It was the same in Finland: barely any cases in the summer, and the increase started once autumn weather kicked in and people were indoors more.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 06:50:51 AM by Luoto »

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #5744 on: November 05, 2020, 07:12:59 AM »
IMO, it's an overall movement back inside.

Indeed. Some sources have said the virus would thrive better when temperatures get cooler and the moisture goes down, but I'm not that sure (would play well with the George Floyd thing though). It was the same in Finland: barely any cases in the summer, and the increase started once autumn weather kicked in and people were indoors more.

To add to this, I am first going to trade the term "thrive" to "easily transmissible". Yes, the cooler weather will drive people indoors but that means the heater comes on and the air becomes drier thus allowing your spittle to be more easily transmissible. And when you couple that with the air vents in your office probably not being cleaned maybe ever, it's a recipe for disaster.

On a side note, I just found out that more people in IT are being told to quarantine because they have been in contact with my bosses husband. End user support is one job that requires human interaction so no telling how many have been infected. Now I have to get creative with my projects because I count on them on my projects and they're not around.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5745 on: November 05, 2020, 07:55:28 AM »
Beginning of September also aligns with Labor Day and when indoor dining opened back up here in NJ (in limited capacity).  It seemed a lot of people just got more loose once September hit and we had to start being indoors more and also after a pretty calm summer from Covid.

I think the timing also aligns with the mutation of the virus that is generally seen to be more contagious. 

That's not to say I don't think schools are spreading it either, there's definitely spread there too.  I just think it's a combo of lots of things, not just schools.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5746 on: November 05, 2020, 08:11:35 AM »
I can only speak for my area.   From my perspective, it's school, but not DIRECTLY school.  I know my daughter got it by being back to college, but I don't see how she wouldn't have been exposed even if she was home with her friends.   I think "Labor Day/School" coincided with a general relaxing of things - here in Connecticut we started to transition into a Phase 3 reopening (restaurants could increase capacity to I think 50% inside, for example) - so I think it's more complicated.   My stepson is on a hybrid schedule - two days from home, two days in school, and a flex day in between - and I think there's only been one case in his school (a middle school). 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 10:40:04 AM by Stadler »

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #5747 on: November 05, 2020, 09:56:58 AM »
So beginning Monday our school system is going virtual until December 3rd.

The following was reported:
As of Wednesday morning, the district had 300 quarantined individuals among students and staff, with 273 being close contacts and about 25 who have tested positive for COVID-19.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5748 on: November 05, 2020, 10:54:38 AM »
100,000+ new cases in the US yesterday.  The highest daily number of infections since the pandemic began.  Everything is going to be closed down again in a few weeks they can't just let it run wild

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #5749 on: November 05, 2020, 12:26:52 PM »
Denmark is about to kill 15 million minks because of a mutation that spread to humans, and they fear it might make future vaccines ineffective. Seven municipalities now have strict restrictions in order to prevent it from spreading. However, scientists and experts have labeled the vaccine-escape story as strange and even "idiotic", because initial reports about the mutation indicate that it likely wouldn't be significant enough to affect vaccines. The finding has also not been properly evaluated scientifically.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 12:34:43 PM by Luoto »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5750 on: November 05, 2020, 12:34:37 PM »
100,000+ new cases in the US yesterday.  The highest daily number of infections since the pandemic began.  Everything is going to be closed down again in a few weeks they can't just let it run wild

USA #1! USA #1! USA #1! USA #1! USA #1! USA #1!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5751 on: November 05, 2020, 12:49:47 PM »
Denmark is about to kill 15 million minks because of a mutation that spread to humans, and they fear it might make future vaccines ineffective. Seven municipalities now have strict restrictions in order to prevent it from spreading. However, scientists and experts have labeled the vaccine-escape story as strange and even "idiotic", because initial reports about the mutation indicate that it likely wouldn't be significant enough to affect vaccines. The finding has also not been properly evaluated scientifically.

From what I've read is that the current mutation isn't that great, but if you let that propagate through a few generations of 15M minks, you could have something that our vaccines do nothing against. We're attempting to prevent that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5752 on: November 05, 2020, 12:56:06 PM »

From what I've read is that the current mutation isn't that great, but if you let that propagate through a few generations of 15M minks, you could have something that our vaccines do nothing against. We're attempting to prevent that.

Geeze, poor Minks.  That is a sad story to hear. Ugh, fuck this virus.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #5753 on: November 05, 2020, 12:58:52 PM »

That would be a reasonable argument, but the additional restrictions in Jylland seem exaggerated.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5754 on: November 05, 2020, 12:59:19 PM »

Iran #1!!!  USA #2!!!

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5755 on: November 05, 2020, 01:10:33 PM »

Iran #1!!!  USA #2!!!

Sit back down, Steve Harvey. Who let you off the set??
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5756 on: November 05, 2020, 02:00:48 PM »
Guess the whole 'going to dissappear on Nov 4th' theory can be laid to rest, and we can firmly conclude everyone pushing said theory months ago as a complete fucking moron.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5757 on: November 05, 2020, 02:03:01 PM »
Guess the whole 'going to dissappear on Nov 4th' theory can be laid to rest, and we can firmly conclude everyone pushing said theory months ago as a complete fucking moron.

Hey now, the election aint over yet!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5758 on: November 05, 2020, 02:04:19 PM »

Rona or Trump? Either way, who the hell was putting stock in those predictions? Stupid.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5759 on: November 05, 2020, 03:17:39 PM »

Rona or Trump? Either way, who the hell was putting stock in those predictions? Stupid.

Rona obviously, but one good side effect of Donnie dragging his hopefully eventual loss out is that he has less time to shamelessly rape the country and the white house for every dime possible. Shit, I wouldn't put it past him to steal the silverware and china on his way out.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5760 on: November 05, 2020, 03:27:33 PM »

Rona obviously, but one good side effect of Donnie dragging his hopefully eventual loss out is that he has less time to shamelessly rape the country and the white house for every dime possible. Shit, I wouldn't put it past him to steal the silverware and china on his way out.

To be fair, when I got shitcanned from a job I really liked, I stole a few of those large red Coca Cola plastic cups from the back warehouse, especially cause I cleaned the whole bitch  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5761 on: November 05, 2020, 03:55:59 PM »
Had a mild scare in the gmillerdrake house. My 14 year old has a stuffed up/runny nose....blocked up sinus's and was complaining his ear hurt. This was on the heels of learning our Church's youth leader and his wife tested positive for covid. Two of my sons were in their presence Sunday at services. So, my wife just ran him to the pediatrician and they did a rapid test that came back negative....he just has a severe ear infection. Never been so happy for my kid to be suffering from an ear infection  :lol

I felt for him though because all he kept saying is that he couldn't live with himself if he knew he gave someone Covid  :'( 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #5762 on: November 05, 2020, 04:19:20 PM »
Had a mild scare in the gmillerdrake house. My 14 year old has a stuffed up/runny nose....blocked up sinus's and was complaining his ear hurt. This was on the heels of learning our Church's youth leader and his wife tested positive for covid. Two of my sons were in their presence Sunday at services. So, my wife just ran him to the pediatrician and they did a rapid test that came back negative....he just has a severe ear infection. Never been so happy for my kid to be suffering from an ear infection  :lol

I felt for him though because all he kept saying is that he couldn't live with himself if he knew he gave someone Covid  :'(

Just curious, are they continuing church and youth activities and are they wearing masks?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5763 on: November 05, 2020, 04:23:36 PM »

Just curious, are they continuing church and youth activities and are they wearing masks?

Yes. It’s mandatory masks and we only allow 20% in person capacity. (200) people or so. The aisles are broken out to where there’s an open aisle of chairs between each populated aisle.....and all the youth are masked and socially distanced as well. It’s pretty strict compared to what I’ve heard about elsewhere.

In fact, we were minutes away from our Wednesday night service last night when we heard about them testing positive so we had the building cleared out and just did all virtual
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5764 on: November 05, 2020, 04:34:29 PM »

These are fur farms to mass produce and export fur. These animals were already poor to be honest. And they were going to be killed either way, because their fur is the product.

Over here we already had several major covid outbreaks in the remaining mink fur farms, also with the result of killing them. Also very large numbers. (Mink fur farms became illegal here, but we are in a transitory period where those remaining are still allowed to operate).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5765 on: November 05, 2020, 04:49:36 PM »

These are fur farms to mass produce and export fur. These animals were already poor to be honest. And they were going to be killed either way, because their fur is the product.

Over here we already had several major covid outbreaks in the remaining mink fur farms, also with the result of killing them. Also very large numbers. (Mink fur farms became illegal here, but we are in a transitory period where those remaining are still allowed to operate).

Hey, I am a meat eater.  I don't really have a huge issue in consumption of animals, but I'm not a fan of using them for fashion, nor just the idea of a mass killing like this due to the circumstances. I understand it but it just sucks.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5766 on: November 05, 2020, 06:52:37 PM »

Hey, I am a meat eater.  I don't really have a huge issue in consumption of animals, but I'm not a fan of using them for fashion, nor just the idea of a mass killing like this due to the circumstances. I understand it but it just sucks.

Yeah, that is true.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5767 on: November 06, 2020, 07:47:56 AM »
I personally don't see what's wrong with using animals for their furs/skins. We use them for other parts of their body. We test chemicals on the poor things. *shrug*

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5768 on: November 06, 2020, 07:50:52 AM »
I personally don't see what's wrong with using animals for their furs/skins. We use them for other parts of their body. We test chemicals on the poor things. *shrug*
I have a bit of a problem with them being only used for their skins, but if the rest of them gets used for something as well (pet food, Taco Bell meat, etc) I don't have a problem with it. There's leather all over the place from the cows we eat and very few people are bothered by that.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5769 on: November 06, 2020, 08:01:34 AM »

My only remark was that these animals were already suffering and dying either way, so that to me there seemed little difference for the animals themselves.

It isn't my intention to delve into the whole meat/testing/hunting/whatnot discussion, which is not really suited for this thread. And that discussion will vary a whole lot between countries, due to differing regulations and living conditions of animals between different sectors.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5770 on: November 06, 2020, 02:27:20 PM »
My recent 'transmission flush' is over.  TMI perhaps, but they found four polyps again, but already received the results of them being benign.  Woot!  Woot!

The sad small world of C19:  a woman I have worked with and become great friends with for the past two years at a HS food pantry tested positive today.  As well as her husband.  My wife and I and this couple have often dined together, including two times in the past two months outdoors.  They went to a wedding with 50 guests in DC on Saturday.  Yes, they wore masks, but there are plenty of pix of various people with them down, and then those people with others. 

She also had a colonoscopy.... the day after mine.....by the same doctor!!!!  That office closed its doors this afternoon. 

She is not doing so well, her husband worse.  That's what worried me the most regarding my procedure.  Yes, all the staff wore masks, but I didn't during the procedure.  To think if she'd been scheduled an hour before me........

And we hit yet another new high in cases, and the death count remains above 1K daily.  More college football games cancelled, high schools who begged to restart their seasons having to cancel......it's the same old story, same old song and dance....and this round is going to be worse than the original.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #5771 on: November 06, 2020, 02:31:32 PM »
Yup - another colleague tested positive today and people in IT especially end user support are dropping like flies.  :(

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #5772 on: November 07, 2020, 10:36:55 AM »
All I have to say is - WHAT A RELIEF!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5773 on: November 07, 2020, 10:38:34 AM »
All I have to say is - WHAT A RELIEF!!

Plop plop; fizz fizz...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5774 on: November 08, 2020, 07:57:22 AM »
I have a bit of a problem with them being only used for their skins, but if the rest of them gets used for something as well (pet food, Taco Bell meat, etc) I don't have a problem with it. There's leather all over the place from the cows we eat and very few people are bothered by that.

!!!

:)