Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 435086 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #5495 on: October 09, 2020, 08:31:54 AM »
Not every activity has to be dangerous. Could be a great time to start reading some more. Exercise at home. Got a guitar sitting around? Pick it up. I know a lot of adults don't like to just sit around doing activities, but I mean, they're good for your mental health honestly especially in these sort of times. I'm almost 30 and I still color with markers and crayons when I want to seriously chill out. Just a thought.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #5496 on: October 09, 2020, 08:36:38 AM »
When I'm at home, I just feel guilty that I'm not at my computer doing something useful. It's always there, looking at me. :|

I'm not surprised people are out partying and being irresponsible. If I had any friends here (and if I wasn't worried about my husband ending up in the hospital with the virus because he's in a few risk groups), I'd see them all the time, and if we had concerts, I'd go. I'm lucky that the types of social entertainment that are still going on (house parties, bars and restaurants) aren't that easily available or appealing to me, otherwise I'd be out there being a drunk dumbass.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5497 on: October 09, 2020, 08:41:45 AM »
Living like this is pretty depressing. Every activity is just unsafe enough not to be worth the risk. The curve has been rising, then flat, then rising again all the time since I got back home, and my city is always the worst off. Not going anywhere except the store and the hiking spots I can reach on foot (because we're only encouraged to use public transport if we have to go to work) sucks, but I can't exactly do anything else in good conscience. With increased unemployment, people with much better resumes are out competing for the same dayjobs I am applying to, so there's only a very small chance I'll be able to actually get one. All of this should make me extra motivated to be productive and do something while I'm stuck at home until spring, but it's having the opposite effect on me.

I'm starting to get the blues and am definitely losing motivation. I started doing a lot of outdoor physical activity (lost 92lbs since last December) during Covid, and have played a shitload of golf this summer seeing as they were basically the only activities I could do. On my walk this morning (5:15 AM), the dog and I turned back after just a mile or so because I couldn't stop shivering. It's starting to get cold and I'm assuming this winter is going to end up being the most boring 3-4 months of my life, probably like that time I thought I had mono for a year. I hear you though on the not wanting to do anything even if it's open. The hobby shops around me are still racing, and will be continuing to do so inside once the cold fully sets in. I stopped by one of the tracks a few weeks ago, and the pits were packed to capacity with only 3 or 4 people wearing masks. I'm not playing that game. Fucking idiots if you ask me. I even emailed the owner and told him that I'd love to spend money down there and pay some race fees but won't be so long as there isn't a mask mandate. He responded by saying the mask mandate he had in place was keeping too many people away, and if he continued to enforce it, he'd have to shut down. I don't know if I believe him or not, but if he's telling the truth, that infuriates me. A bunch of fully grown men, congregating to play with remote control trucks, the majority of whom are hardcore gun owners and the outdoors type, throwing hissy fits about having to wear a mask inside the pits where people are basically on top of each other. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5498 on: October 09, 2020, 08:49:08 AM »
It's starting to get cold and I'm assuming this winter is going to end up being the most boring 3-4 months of my life, probably like that time I thought I had mono for a year. I hear you though on the not wanting to do anything even if it's open. The hobby shops around me are still racing, and will be continuing to do so inside once the cold fully sets in. I stopped by one of the tracks a few weeks ago, and the pits were packed to capacity with only 3 or 4 people wearing masks. I'm not playing that game.
Yeah. I used to go to debates/discussions at the local library to improve my language skills. Now it's like, great, I can go to a closed space with people talking at each other for hours, where we all convince each other we're safe because we're 1m apart and we all cleaned our hands on the way in. Not worth it, I can just stay inside and crack open my grammar book or watch content in my target language... for seven months straight now... and at least six to go until it's open air weather again... yay.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5499 on: October 09, 2020, 09:19:04 AM »
I've had the covid blues for a loooong time.  I still do, but taking a vacation and going somewhere (that was deemed safe) was a nice breathe of fresh air and made me feel much better internally. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5500 on: October 09, 2020, 10:59:25 AM »
Living like this is pretty depressing. Every activity is just unsafe enough not to be worth the risk. The curve has been rising, then flat, then rising again all the time since I got back home, and my city is always the worst off. Not going anywhere except the store and the hiking spots I can reach on foot (because we're only encouraged to use public transport if we have to go to work) sucks, but I can't exactly do anything else in good conscience. With increased unemployment, people with much better resumes are out competing for the same dayjobs I am applying to, so there's only a very small chance I'll be able to actually get one. All of this should make me extra motivated to be productive and do something while I'm stuck at home until spring, but it's having the opposite effect on me.

I know that for me, the tide is turning on that second sentence.   I have no problem being alone or staying home, but I realized around July or so that that's only because I have periodic bursts - concerts, work travel - where I'm NOT alone and I'm NOT home.   So now with those gone, the pressure is building. I'm not suggesting I'm going to Spring Break in Lauderdale or anything, but I'm disappointed in myself for how seriously I'm considering a flight to Dallas to see my kid or Florida.  That would just be stupid at this point, but I'm almost thinking it might be necessary. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5501 on: October 09, 2020, 11:01:10 AM »
Not every activity has to be dangerous. Could be a great time to start reading some more. Exercise at home. Got a guitar sitting around? Pick it up. I know a lot of adults don't like to just sit around doing activities, but I mean, they're good for your mental health honestly especially in these sort of times. I'm almost 30 and I still color with markers and crayons when I want to seriously chill out. Just a thought.

Both my daughters - 19 and 22 - get a TON of relief from those books with the intricate designs to be colored.  You know the ones I mean; not Bugs Bunny coloring books, but the ones that look like fractals almost? 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5502 on: October 09, 2020, 11:03:02 AM »
When I'm at home, I just feel guilty that I'm not at my computer doing something useful. It's always there, looking at me. :|

I'm not surprised people are out partying and being irresponsible. If I had any friends here (and if I wasn't worried about my husband ending up in the hospital with the virus because he's in a few risk groups), I'd see them all the time, and if we had concerts, I'd go. I'm lucky that the types of social entertainment that are still going on (house parties, bars and restaurants) aren't that easily available or appealing to me, otherwise I'd be out there being a drunk dumbass.

Kind of where I was going in my previous reply to you.  There's something to be said for periodic "dumbass" (drunk or not).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5503 on: October 09, 2020, 11:04:38 AM »

I'm starting to get the blues and am definitely losing motivation. I started doing a lot of outdoor physical activity (lost 92lbs since last December) during Covid, and have played a shitload of golf this summer seeing as they were basically the only activities I could do. On my walk this morning (5:15 AM), the dog and I turned back after just a mile or so because I couldn't stop shivering. It's starting to get cold and I'm assuming this winter is going to end up being the most boring 3-4 months of my life, probably like that time I thought I had mono for a year. I hear you though on the not wanting to do anything even if it's open. The hobby shops around me are still racing, and will be continuing to do so inside once the cold fully sets in. I stopped by one of the tracks a few weeks ago, and the pits were packed to capacity with only 3 or 4 people wearing masks. I'm not playing that game. Fucking idiots if you ask me. I even emailed the owner and told him that I'd love to spend money down there and pay some race fees but won't be so long as there isn't a mask mandate. He responded by saying the mask mandate he had in place was keeping too many people away, and if he continued to enforce it, he'd have to shut down. I don't know if I believe him or not, but if he's telling the truth, that infuriates me. A bunch of fully grown men, congregating to play with remote control trucks, the majority of whom are hardcore gun owners and the outdoors type, throwing hissy fits about having to wear a mask inside the pits where people are basically on top of each other.

WTF, bro.  That's world class.  SO happy for you; you should be proud. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5504 on: October 09, 2020, 11:39:31 AM »

WTF, bro.  That's world class.  SO happy for you; you should be proud.

It's been a trip. The major redeeming factor with doing it during Covid (couldn't have done it without being on lockdown) is that I haven't really needed to spend money upgrading any of my wardrobe. With literally no societal obligations of any kind or dates to be had, it doesn't matter that my jeans are 10 sizes too big. I did raid JC Penny for a bunch of new t-shirts and boxers, but that's it. No office attire. No button downs. No new pants. It's been great. Instead of having to buy new stuff every 30lbs or so, I'm just waiting until the very last minute before having to reintegrate into society.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5505 on: October 09, 2020, 11:58:17 AM »
I only have on pair of shorts that fit me, I bought them at the end of last summer before I went on vacation because I needed clothes that fit me, but didn't want to stock up because I didn't know what my belly would look like come this summer, but similarly since I didn't do anything this summer, I was able to get by on that same one pair of shorts for the summer.  I still need to get more clothes that fit me, but I'm in no rush.  I have enough for the two days I go into work and the one day I go out for groceries each week. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5506 on: October 09, 2020, 01:37:08 PM »
There's something to be said for periodic "dumbass" (drunk or not).
Hear hear. We're actually going to hop over by train to city we lived in from 2017 until Hell Year, to see 6 friends (three couples) at the end of the month. I'm mildly terrified at the prospect. But:

a) I can't crap my pants over walking into a train with a mask on, sitting down in closed cabin space with no one except the two of us and getting up after 8hrs! I'm more exposed while shopping for groceries.

b) Once that's done it's HIGHLY unlikely we'll get to socialize in person with anyone until this has blown over a bit. We barely know anyone here, and my husband's only meeting his new coworkers through Slack, so we're not gonna meet any new people either. If I'm gonna be living in indefinitely sad friendless zone, it would be cool to start counting down the days from the end of October, and not from when I got here.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5507 on: October 12, 2020, 05:37:15 PM »
A week after saying in here I wouldn't bother to get tested unless I knew I was exposed to Covid, I got tested yesterday. My kids caught a cold somewhere last week that got passed to me and I realized how much of a pain it is to have any Covid-like symptoms right now. I couldn't go into the office, my wife is pregnant and coming up on her due date in a couple weeks. It was just better to know one way or the other. Results came back negative today, which is good. Just a run of the mill cold.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5508 on: October 12, 2020, 06:34:14 PM »
A week after saying in here I wouldn't bother to get tested unless I knew I was exposed to Covid, I got tested yesterday. My kids caught a cold somewhere last week that got passed to me and I realized how much of a pain it is to have any Covid-like symptoms right now. I couldn't go into the office, my wife is pregnant and coming up on her due date in a couple weeks. It was just better to know one way or the other. Results came back negative today, which is good. Just a run of the mill cold.

Phew!  That must’ve been a huge relief!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5509 on: October 12, 2020, 08:10:02 PM »

Phew!  That must’ve been a huge relief!
I was pretty confident it was just a cold based on the symptoms I was having, but yeah I was glad. Thinking about trying to have a baby while also being contagious with Covid sounded like a nightmare.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5510 on: October 12, 2020, 08:27:59 PM »
I think if you're sick, you basically owe it to those around you to get a test. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5511 on: October 13, 2020, 04:24:09 AM »
We are doing badly, if our curve remains like this, an estimated 75% of regular healthcare could be shut down by the end of next month. New regulations will be announced this evening.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5512 on: October 13, 2020, 04:28:42 AM »
Italy is doing slightly better, and certainly better than France and Spain, but the curve is rising and so those regulations have already been implemented since yesterday: masks all the time while in the open, no school trips, bars and restaurant closing before and stopping standing service even sooner, no amateur sports (you know, buddies meeting up for soccer after work) and just a "strong reccomendation" to not have more than 6 people over for private parties.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5513 on: October 13, 2020, 07:20:47 AM »
I think if you're sick, you basically owe it to those around you to get a test. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

Agreed.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5514 on: October 13, 2020, 08:02:20 AM »
Numerous school districts in Wisconsin are going to virtual as our numbers are off the charts right now. Meanwhile the school district our kid is in, which started virtual, decided to go to the hybrid model last night.  :facepalm:
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5515 on: October 13, 2020, 08:35:36 AM »
Numerous school districts in Wisconsin are going to virtual as our numbers are off the charts right now. Meanwhile the school district our kid is in, which started virtual, decided to go to the hybrid model last night.  :facepalm:

I read Wisconsin is the new hot spot in the US.

In general, cases are pretty much rising all over the US.  Here in NJ, cases have been rising since Labor Day weekend, but deaths have stayed very low.  I understand the virus has mutated to be more contagious, but it may be less lethal as well.  At least that was a theory I read. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5516 on: October 13, 2020, 08:40:14 AM »

In general, cases are pretty much rising all over the US.  Here in NJ, cases have been rising since Labor Day weekend, but deaths have stayed very low.  I understand the virus has mutated to be more contagious, but it may be less lethal as well.  At least that was a theory I read.

It'd make sense for an organism like this. It's in Covid's interest to not rapidly kill everyone it infects. The less lethal and damaging it is, the better the chance it has to spread before its host dies or is treated in a hospital.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #5517 on: October 13, 2020, 08:40:49 AM »

That is HIGHLY doubtful. What's more likely is that medical personnel have gotten better at treating the virus. At the first of the year, it was trial and error but now that we have hard data to fall back on, the professionals know how to better treat patients.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5518 on: October 13, 2020, 08:42:11 AM »
Also, a lot of frail and old people have already died and those who didn't learn the lesson about masks, distance and hands hygiene. The (negative) news are stolen by idiot negationists, but come on, those are relatively few. The rest of the majority has learnt the lesson and they do take precautions.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5519 on: October 13, 2020, 08:48:39 AM »
Anecdotal, of course, but I feel like I'm hearing of more people that aren't even needing medical care.   My daughter and her two roommates didn't spend even one minute in a hospital or medical center, and yet all three were positive.

F Trump (am I doing that right?) but he's right about one point (albeit for wrong reasons):  by increasing our testing, we're identifying more instances of it, including those instances where people are asymptomatic.  These are NOT people that would have been screened out in March or April.   Now, don't misunderstand this, I think this is good overall, since it gives us a broader understanding of the virus, it's spread, and it's impact. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5520 on: October 13, 2020, 08:50:03 AM »

That is HIGHLY doubtful. What's more likely is that medical personnel have gotten better at treating the virus. At the first of the year, it was trial and error but now that we have hard data to fall back on, the professionals know how to better treat patients.

Maybe but most people infected aren't going to the hospital and even being treated so I'm not sure that's the sole reason for lower deaths right now, but it definitely helps.

Also, a lot of frail and old people have already died and those who didn't learn the lesson about masks, distance and hands hygiene. The (negative) news are stolen by idiot negationists, but come on, those are relatively few. The rest of the majority has learnt the lesson and they do take precautions.

I've thought this as well and have stated before here that I've thought it's possible the virus killed the most vulnerable already, but that's not proven or anything just a thought really.  I don't recall reading that anywhere where as I have read a few articles including one from Fauci who stated the virus has mutated to be more contagious.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5521 on: October 13, 2020, 08:55:23 AM »
Anecdotal, of course, but I feel like I'm hearing of more people that aren't even needing medical care.   My daughter and her two roommates didn't spend even one minute in a hospital or medical center, and yet all three were positive.

F Trump (am I doing that right?) but he's right about one point (albeit for wrong reasons):  by increasing our testing, we're identifying more instances of it, including those instances where people are asymptomatic.  These are NOT people that would have been screened out in March or April.   Now, don't misunderstand this, I think this is good overall, since it gives us a broader understanding of the virus, it's spread, and it's impact.

And the more granular data showing upticks, even among less at-risk people, allows regional governments to put more individualistic measures in place rather than blanketly applying restrictions everywhere. It gives us a much better view of where we need to focus our efforts.   

"My daughter and her two roommates didn't spend even one minute in a hospital or medical center, and yet all three were positive."

It seems like you get it, but I can't emphasize enough how important it is for us to know this information. If people can recover at home without medical facilities, that's great, but more importantly, those people are now staying home and not putting more susceptible people at risk because they're aware they are at the very least a carrier.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5522 on: October 13, 2020, 09:02:28 AM »
I'm 100% with you on that.   Without a test, without that boyfriend, my daughter would have UNKNOWINGLY (since she's not that kind of person; she's very much a "mask and distance" person) been potentially affecting those closest to her.   

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5523 on: October 13, 2020, 09:50:33 AM »
It seems like you get it, but I can't emphasize enough how important it is for us to know this information. If people can recover at home without medical facilities, that's great, but more importantly, those people are now staying home and not putting more susceptible people at risk because they're aware they are at the very least a carrier.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5524 on: October 13, 2020, 06:24:26 PM »
In order to encourage people to actually stay home, my workplace is basically giving you up to 2 weeks off without using your PTO if you have any Covid-like symptoms. You have to call this medical hotline number which we normally use when there are minor workplace injuries, but now they assess your symptoms and give you a low, moderate, or high risk of having Covid. If you are moderate or high, you get tested and stay home until your symptoms are gone regardless of whether you tested positive or not.

So a guy who works for me does the right thing and went home yesterday when he felt cold-like symptoms coming on. He calls the hotline this morning and they've changed their rating system and he's called low risk even though a week ago having any symptoms at all was considered at least moderate risk. So he can't some into work because he has symptoms, but he doesn't qualify for the extra paid time off because he's considered low risk. So now my HR person and me are trying to figure out how the heck to get this guy the extra paid time off that he deserves since the company won't let him come in. What a cluster... It feels like we're all just flying by the seat of our pants here.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5525 on: October 13, 2020, 06:46:34 PM »

Yup.  There was a pretty widespread outbreak at a college campus where a number of my friends have kids in dorms.  Many that we know firsthand, and many second-hand through the kids, got it.  But the school had them quarantine immediately, and they all ended up being fine themselves AND not spreading it further.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5526 on: October 15, 2020, 07:08:44 PM »
The two main hospitals in my town are no longer taking inpatient patients. It is bad in Wisconsin right now.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5527 on: October 15, 2020, 07:32:52 PM »
Numbers are up here in Illinois, too.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5528 on: October 16, 2020, 12:58:16 AM »
Europe isn't doing better either. Mini lockdowns and restrictions all over the place.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5529 on: October 16, 2020, 06:03:56 AM »
Europe isn't doing better either. Mini lockdowns and restrictions all over the place.

Here too.  Which is crazy, because people in the affected areas of the lockdown are just going to other jurisdictions to get into gyms and other businesses affected by the lockdown.   :facepalm: