Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 435727 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #4200 on: July 02, 2020, 12:56:11 PM »
First bumps are better anyway.

A friend's brother, who I see like 3 times a year, is one of those guys who feels the need to squeeze your hand as hard as he can every time he shakes it. Does that to everyone.  Dude probably has small genitals.  :lol :lol

Kitchens have been doing fist bumps for years, and now we've progressed to the elbow bump.

See, this I don't understand - everyone sneezes into the inside of their elbow, right?  I'd prefer that no one's elbow gets anywhere close to me.

The easy solution there is for everyone to now sneeze into their own crotch instead of their elbow. That way if anyone tries to pecker slap ya, the joke’s on them since they’ll get your sneeze all over their hand.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4201 on: July 02, 2020, 12:57:49 PM »
If I could do that Kev Id be in another profession.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4202 on: July 02, 2020, 01:04:51 PM »
Kev, I laughed WAAAY too hardly that!   :rollin
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline emtee

« Reply #4203 on: July 02, 2020, 01:43:17 PM »
We surpassed the 10,000 new case per day mark in Florida.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #4204 on: July 02, 2020, 01:50:49 PM »

SMH at our State.  I’m a transplant here (orig NY then VT) and this state Is really embarrassing at times.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4205 on: July 02, 2020, 01:52:23 PM »

SMH at our State.  I’m a transplant here (orig NY then VT) and this state Is really embarrassing at times.

I wonder the age breakdown on who was affected in FLA?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4206 on: July 02, 2020, 01:54:32 PM »
As someone who partially grew up in Florida, I will say that if the state fell into the ocean, I'd be okay with that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4207 on: July 02, 2020, 02:06:16 PM »
Kev, I laughed WAAAY too hardly that!   :rollin

Ha!  :hat

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #4208 on: July 02, 2020, 02:10:56 PM »
As someone who partially grew up in Florida, I will say that if the state fell into the ocean, I'd be okay with that.

Well that explains a lot.  You’re a native Florida Man.
As a transplant from NY and VT, the native FL Man is easy to identify.   
Usually by the size of the lift kit on his pickup and the “ballsack” hanging off the tow hitch.  ;)
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4209 on: July 02, 2020, 05:04:18 PM »
So they told me 48 hrs for the results. I call back today and they tell me it'll be 7-10 business days. With the long weekend, I'm guessing I'll know by the following Monday.

Shit, by that time, if I'm sick and symptomatic, I'll be feeling it, right?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4210 on: July 02, 2020, 05:10:58 PM »
I has a new hire who was supposed to come in last Thursday for orientation call me that day and told me he was in contact with someone with covid.

Friday he went for the test.  Yesterday the results came back negative.  I still can't bring him in for orientation until next Friday. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4211 on: July 02, 2020, 05:16:01 PM »
Ok hopefully I'll know before the end of next week. Still does nothing towards saving my 4 day weekend. I'm not going anywhere as long as I may be positive.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4213 on: July 03, 2020, 05:46:46 AM »
I suspect that getting people to stay home and out of social situations is the best way to stop the spread rather than masks. Though of course masks help, not trying to argue that. During the stay at home orders here, well less than half of people wore masks when they were out shopping for groceries and at the stores we were allowed to go to. But nearly everyone just stayed home instead of socializing. The stores that were open were just as busy as they always were, if not more so at times. Now that the stay at home orders are done, there are plenty of people acting like they can throw parties and get together with larger groups of people. These are situations where virtually  no one wears masks. Or maintains distancing. It wasn't until we saw this type of gathering pick up again that we saw cases pick up. Really the only other change is outdoor seating at restaurants, which I don't think anyone has ever claimed in a huge source of spread. Now, depending on the store, I see half to 3/4s of people wearing masks. So more masks in public are being worn but cases are still going up. As much as I don't want it to be the case, I think we need to stop the socializing again and just get back to essential business. Even if "essential" is a little broader than it was before to allow almost every business to be open is some capacity. It doesn't seem to me that going to a store is a big spreader, even without masks, given what we saw during the stay at home orders. It's when people let their guard down with family or friends that I suspect we're seeing most of the spread. I know it's virtually impossible to figure out where everyone is catching it, but it would be very enlightening to get more data on it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4214 on: July 03, 2020, 05:57:04 AM »
I suspect that getting people to stay home and out of social situations is the best way to stop the spread rather than masks. Though of course masks help, not trying to argue that.

I've seen described this situation as a ship trying to navigate safely between two very steep and dangerous cliffs. One is the cliff of bad health, and the other one is the cliff of social and economical collapse. If you steer too much away from the bad health (lock everything and everyone down), you're gonna go crash on the economical cliff. And if you steer too away from this second cliff, and let everyone go around, you're gonna crash back into the bad health one with tons of infected people.

Since there's a fine balance to thread, and locking people up forever does not leave a civilization to come back to, we have to go around somehow, and that's how masks and staying apart from people help.

I also agree with you that, it's psychologically inevitable, we let our guard down when we're with families and friends. I'm still in touch with people from high school, we had a reunion at a bar, and I felt uneasy at the idea of being the only one wearing a mask. It happened enough time ago that by now I'm sure I wasn't infected, but still I was a bit at unease.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4215 on: July 03, 2020, 06:48:11 AM »
I agree that there's a fine balance. It seemed people were pretty willing to stay home for a couple months there. I'm not sure if they'll be as willing the second time around if it comes. For the reason so stated above, I don't think masks alone are going to be enough, unless we can get people to wear them anytime they're around people who aren't in their immediate family. I just don't see that happening.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4216 on: July 03, 2020, 09:01:41 AM »
...I don't think masks alone are going to be enough, unless we can get people to wear them anytime they're around people who aren't in their immediate family. I just don't see that happening.

And that is what is baffling to me.  There just isn't a good reason to not use them, other than the small minority of cases where people have a legitimate health reason for not doing so (severe anxiety or legitimate phobia of having something on their faces, or extreme respiratory problems that dictate that masks or other impediments to breathing are a no-no, for example).  But that VERY small minority of the population can mitigate the spread in other ways (socially distancing at ALL times; those with respiratory issues unfortunately just not going out at all).  For the vast majority, there is no reason to not heed the advise of the medical community.  I find it pretty inexcusable to not comply.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #4217 on: July 03, 2020, 09:18:08 AM »
...I don't think masks alone are going to be enough, unless we can get people to wear them anytime they're around people who aren't in their immediate family. I just don't see that happening.

And that is what is baffling to me.  There just isn't a good reason to not use them, other than the small minority of cases where people have a legitimate health reason for not doing so (severe anxiety or legitimate phobia of having something on their faces, or extreme respiratory problems that dictate that masks or other impediments to breathing are a no-no, for example).  But that VERY small minority of the population can mitigate the spread in other ways (socially distancing at ALL times; those with respiratory issues unfortunately just not going out at all).  For the vast majority, there is no reason to not heed the advise of the medical community.  I find it pretty inexcusable to not comply.

My body my choice. You're free to stay home if you're afraid of a virus that has a 99% survival rate.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4218 on: July 03, 2020, 09:20:07 AM »

My body my choice. You're free to stay home if you're afraid of a virus that has a 99% survival rate.

Except we're talking about an infectious disease that doesn't care about you or any of the rest of us, my friend. "Your choice" is a selfish one that has potential to affect others, particularly with that callous attitude
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4219 on: July 03, 2020, 09:35:41 AM »

This comment makes me sick to my stomach. Can you please reconsider the impact your ‘choice’ has on the people around you?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #4220 on: July 03, 2020, 09:40:13 AM »
Once again. You're free to stay home if you're afraid of a virus that has a 99% survival rate.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4221 on: July 03, 2020, 09:44:31 AM »
Once again. You're free to stay home if you're afraid of a virus that has a 99% survival rate.

You do realize that judging a virus only by its mortality rate, without taking in consideration anything else, is useless, right? well, rethorical question, you obviously don't.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4222 on: July 03, 2020, 09:44:55 AM »
Have you contemplated what a 99% survival actually means? Especially for a virus no one has any natural immunity to?

You're recklessly endangering people for seemingly no other reason than the fact that you can and it makes you feel 'badass' to do so.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4223 on: July 03, 2020, 09:47:53 AM »

Yeah I'll just stay home and not get groceries, or gas, or go to work and deal with the public, or you could take 2 seconds to put on a mask when you go into a public space and continue going about your life and enjoying all the freedoms that we all still have (assuming you live in the USA), bruh
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Adami

« Reply #4224 on: July 03, 2020, 09:53:01 AM »

Yeah I'll just stay home and not get groceries, or gas, or go to work and deal with the public, or you could take 2 seconds to put on a mask when you go into a public space and continue going about your life and enjoying all the freedoms that we all still have (assuming you live in the USA), bruh

This coming from a guy who still brushes his teeth? Psht.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4225 on: July 03, 2020, 09:53:51 AM »

This coming from a guy who still brushes his teeth? Psht.

:lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4226 on: July 03, 2020, 09:55:01 AM »
Wait, I think he is trying to imply that a 99% survival rate is a POSITIVE thing? This is either some kind of troll or someone you simply cannot argue with.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #4227 on: July 03, 2020, 09:57:47 AM »
Wait, I think he is trying to imply that a 99% survival rate is a POSITIVE thing? This is either some kind of troll or someone you simply cannot argue with.

How is it not positive?

You are right though. I'm just posting my opinions. I have no desire to argue.

Online Adami

« Reply #4228 on: July 03, 2020, 09:59:10 AM »

How is it not positive?

I have no idea if you mean world-wide or just America? But apparently it's a 1-2% mortality rate, which...worldwide, would be a bit more than 150,000,000 dead.

Let's not get too hung up on %
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4229 on: July 03, 2020, 10:00:24 AM »
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4230 on: July 03, 2020, 10:04:18 AM »

I'm speaking more about social situations hanging with a friends or family in private places, not in public. I see no chance at all that people (even those that wear them 100% of the time in public) start wearing masks when they hang with their parents, or their closest half dozen friends, or their siblings. I can almost guarantee you that there is more spread from casual social gatherings than at the grocery store or Target, even without masks in those places (see my original post about cases going down even with low mask usage during the stay at home orders). This is why I see mask mandates not likely being terribly effective. Not because masks can't be effective, but because they won't be used in the situations when you're at highest risk.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4231 on: July 03, 2020, 10:09:53 AM »
I have a heart condition.   I hate wearing a mask in public but I do because I know I am at risk.  I think of my dad who is at risk going through lung cancer right now.  I think people forget just because you are in good health and if you caught the virus it would be like the flu but for others around us, it could be deadly.

Am I tired of this, hell yeah I am but I still wear them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4232 on: July 03, 2020, 10:11:00 AM »

I'm speaking more about social situations hanging with a friends or family in private places, not in public. I see no chance at all that people (even those that wear them 100% of the time in public) start wearing masks when they hang with their parents, or their closest half dozen friends, or their siblings. I can almost guarantee you that there is more spread from casual social gatherings than at the grocery store or Target, even without masks in those places (see my original post about cases going down even with low mask usage during the stay at home orders). This is why I see mask mandates not likely being terribly effective. Not because masks can't be effective, but because they won't be used in the situations when you're at highest risk.

I follow you.  And I still think what I said applies.  I don't really understand why people cannot either stay at least 6 feet apart or wear a mask in those situations. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #4233 on: July 03, 2020, 10:12:12 AM »

How is it not positive?

I have no idea if you mean world-wide or just America? But apparently it's a 1-2% mortality rate, which...worldwide, would be a bit more than 150,000,000 dead.

Let's not get too hung up on %

I'm pro abortion. Never really had that "all life is precious" mindset.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4234 on: July 03, 2020, 10:14:15 AM »
I follow you.  And I still think what I said applies.  I don't really understand why people cannot either stay at least 6 feet apart or wear a mask in those situations. 

Of course they can, I just think most people relax and don't think about that kind of stuff when they're with the people they care most about. It's just not a natural thing to consider. Plus people want something resembling normal life in all of this, and they can find it in small groups like that.