Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 435767 times)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #4165 on: July 01, 2020, 05:40:28 PM »
I keep getting emails from things like museums, libraries, and movie theaters talking about their plans to open soon. I always want to reply in a fake southern accent "y'all realize they're gonna shut this all down again soon, right?"

I know they need to continue their plans to reopen, in some cases their very survival depends on it. But it seems like the writing is on the wall that more stay at home orders are coming for most states.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4166 on: July 01, 2020, 06:21:00 PM »
it was weird walking in with a mask and everyone just kind of like "take that off and shake my hand" ugh.  I did it and felt uncomfortable

Cram, I would be one of those people you are talking about.

My wife's fucking sister wouldn't even pose with our son on his graduation day, never mind wearing a mask outdoors the entire time we were talking to them.

But she came.  That should mean something.  She could have just stayed home and probably been a lot more comfortable.  But she came - if that means wearing a mask all day and not getting too close to people, so be it. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4167 on: July 01, 2020, 06:33:15 PM »
So I don't want to paint her in a bad light. She has been an amazing aunt to my kids. Amazing.

But it goes to show that people are losing their minds.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4168 on: July 01, 2020, 06:52:46 PM »
How does it show that?  I was a little worried that maybe I made an assumption, and she only went because her own kid was graduating.  And maybe she hadn't been such a great aunt.  But she has.  doesn't seem like a sign of a person that's losing her mind at all. Seems like someone who is trying to keep herself and others healthy, while also still being really supportive.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4169 on: July 01, 2020, 07:02:55 PM »
How does it show that?  I was a little worried that maybe I made an assumption, and she only went because her own kid was graduating.  And maybe she hadn't been such a great aunt.  But she has.  doesn't seem like a sign of a person that's losing her mind at all. Seems like someone who is trying to keep herself and others healthy, while also still being really supportive.

So I mentioned a few posts ago that I tried to make a post and scrapped it twice because I wasn't happy with how it was worded. But one of the points I was going to make was that taking the cautious or safe position will never be wrong.

I don't know how to explain it but we were out side, and well, I was disappointed.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4170 on: July 01, 2020, 07:12:48 PM »
I have mixed feelings about handshakes. Sometimes I feel they are appropriate and welcome, other times I just want to say hello and lift my hand in acknowledgment.

I have been out shopping for work almost once a day the past couple of weeks and can count on one hand the number of mask-less shoppers I've seen.

Just got an email from our school district saying there will be some sort of hybrid in-school/at-home plan in the fall. There are a ton of working families who are going to be struggling with this, us included.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4171 on: July 01, 2020, 07:34:36 PM »

So I mentioned a few posts ago that I tried to make a post and scrapped it twice because I wasn't happy with how it was worded. But one of the points I was going to make was that taking the cautious or safe position will never be wrong.

I don't know how to explain it but we were out side, and well, I was disappointed.

I think because you work in the public and are exposed every single day that you don't feel the same cautiousness that others feel.  While it sucks that your son didn't get the proper ceremony he deserved, you even admit you can't be wrong being cautious so why do you hold this over the aunt?  Does she have underlying health issues?  Does she have a family that she will go home to?  I think Lethean has a point about just being there.  Everyone is going to go about this differently and many cautiously like myself.  I'd be really upset if my sister was mad that I didn't kiss my nieces or something yesterday.  I hugged them both but I'd hate to think my own cautiousness (not just for myself, but mostly for others) would offend someone I care for especially if I did already put myself outside of my comfort zone.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4172 on: July 01, 2020, 07:40:55 PM »

I think because you work in the public and are exposed every single day that you don't feel the same cautiousness that others feel.  While it sucks that your son didn't get the proper ceremony he deserved, you even admit you can't be wrong being cautious so why do you hold this over the aunt?  Does she have underlying health issues?  Does she have a family that she will go home to?  I think Lethean has a point about just being there.  Everyone is going to go about this differently and many cautiously like myself.  I'd be really upset if my sister was mad that I didn't kiss my nieces or something yesterday.  I hugged them both but I'd hate to think my own cautiousness (not just for myself, but mostly for others) would offend someone I care for especially if I did already put myself outside of my comfort zone.

To add to that - I hope you don't somehow feel that her wearing a mask is a reflection on how she feels about your kid.  More importantly I guess, I hope your son doesn't feel that way.  She probably just wants to make it through this fully intact and with no long term affects to her health.  And that way, hopefully she'll have many more years to be a good aunt.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4173 on: July 01, 2020, 07:43:33 PM »
Re: handshakes - I haven't thought about it at all until reading this thread.  There are plenty of things I miss, but I guess that's not one of them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4174 on: July 01, 2020, 07:46:00 PM »
First bumps are better anyway.

A friend's brother, who I see like 3 times a year, is one of those guys who feels the need to squeeze your hand as hard as he can every time he shakes it. Does that to everyone.  Dude probably has small genitals.  :lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4175 on: July 01, 2020, 07:48:18 PM »
OK, so my ghost post basically centered around being cautious vs being ascared.

Cram, you mentioned "baby steps". Are these baby steps for your own comfort level? I mean you did swim with alligators didn't you?

This ain't ending anytime soon. At some point we have to go outside. At some point we have to socialize besides fucking facebook.

My wife made a comment about going somewhere and said she'd be more comfortable in a few months. I was like, what will be the difference between now and a few months? Nothing, that is, except a comfort level.

To add to that - I hope you don't somehow feel that her wearing a mask is a reflection on how she feels about your kid.  More importantly I guess, I hope your son doesn't feel that way.  She probably just wants to make it through this fully intact and with no long term affects to her health.  And that way, hopefully she'll have many more years to be a good aunt.

So I don't know how else to state my feelings on this without sounding like an ingrateful dick. Personally, I find it ridiculous that she wouldn't get within a few feet from him, mask or no mask.

And again, I'm using her as an example, and I don't have ill will towards her at all. I'm trying to say that how people react to this is interesting.
And no, there's no underlying condition. She's just nuts about this. Even my wife said that she made her boyfriend (husband for all intents) wear a mask while talking to us. 10 feet apart...outside.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4176 on: July 01, 2020, 08:01:26 PM »

Cram, you mentioned "baby steps". Are these baby steps for your own comfort level? I mean you did swim with alligators didn't you?

Baby steps are my own choice although occasionally someone else pushes my boundaries (specifically my sister's husband's father in yesterdays example) :lol funny how you remember the alligators in Florida, but I didn't "swim" I stood in the middle of the everglades under the watch of a guide while, yes, alligators were in the vicinity and the water was waist level.... here's the timestamped video (you don't see me jumping in, but you can see it's not some dangerous scenario https://youtu.be/t_9fVxaJc2g?t=449, also no one has yet to die from an alligator attack in the everglades)

However, there is a point to be made about being cautious vs being scared.

And again, I'm using her as an example, and I don't have ill will towards her at all. I'm trying to say that how people react to this is interesting.
And no, there's no underlying condition. She's just nuts about this. Even my wife said that she made her boyfriend (husband for all intents) wear a mask while talking to us. 10 feet apart...outside.

Personally, I find that a bit much and maybe her personality that I don't know plays a role in your feelings, but based on what you've said so far, it doesn't feel like this was bad intentions or anything, just some extreme caution.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4177 on: July 01, 2020, 08:03:30 PM »
Yeah, I just don't see her as being either ridiculous or crazy.
We've all heard stories of families that have had multiple illnesses and deaths with this. So it is something to be concerned about. Everyone's going to handle it differently, but I don't think the way that she handled it is it all wrong. Maybe it's not what you would like, but I don't think it says anything about her feelings towards your family.

And, while it's true that this doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon, that doesn't mean that we "have to" socialize in a traditional way before it does.  Everyone is different and there are all kinds of options for how you can socialize and do other things during this pandemic. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4178 on: July 01, 2020, 08:12:38 PM »

Personally, I find that a bit much and maybe her personality that I don't know plays a role in your feelings, but based on what you've said so far, it doesn't feel like this was bad intentions or anything, just some extreme caution.

Definitely not bad intentions. Definitely not. It's just an example I use where she is really close to my kids, but her fear held her back. And I don't know what word it is to describe what I'm thinking.

Yeah, I just don't see her as being either ridiculous or crazy.
We've all heard stories of families that have had multiple illnesses and deaths with this. So it is something to be concerned about. Everyone's going to handle it differently, but I don't think the way that she handled it is it all wrong. Maybe it's not what you would like, but I don't think it says anything about her feelings towards your family.

And, while it's true that this doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon, that doesn't mean that we "have to" socialize in a traditional way before it does.  Everyone is different and there are all kinds of options for how you can socialize and do other things during this pandemic. 

So my father is 74, and has a few issues. In his own words, if he gets Covid, he's dead. They live in Florida but own a small cottage in southern NH where they stay in the summer. My parents put off plans to travel up here this summer. But my father, convinced that if he gets it, he's gone, told my mother that he'd rather get it up here near family than get it down there alone.

I've contemplated him catching this, and I just don't think I would spend his last moments talking to him on an iPad.

Furthermore Lethean, I'm not saying it's cool to go out to bars and congregate in large groups. But outdoors, socially distant?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4179 on: July 01, 2020, 08:26:05 PM »
I don't have any argument with your father's decision.  I hope he's safe in his travels.  But that's him.  Someone in a similar position might decide to stay, and there's nothing wrong with that decision either. 

As for the outdoors and social distancing - I think it's a lot safer than going to bars, sure.  But I've also read that the six feet might not always be enough - it's a prudent recommendation, but depending on a number of factors, droplets can travel farther from that.  And can linger in the air.  So if someone wants to keep their mask on, I say let them.  Who's it hurting?  It's not hurting anyone.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4180 on: July 01, 2020, 08:33:15 PM »
I don't have any argument with your father's decision.  I hope he's safe in his travels.  But that's him.  Someone in a similar position might decide to stay, and there's nothing wrong with that decision either. 

As for the outdoors and social distancing - I think it's a lot safer than going to bars, sure.  But I've also read that the six feet might not always be enough - it's a prudent recommendation, but depending on a number of factors, droplets can travel farther from that.  And can linger in the air.  So if someone wants to keep their mask on, I say let them.  Who's it hurting?  It's not hurting anyone.

At my father's insistence, my parents flew up last week, so they seem to have gotten out of Florida just in time.

I don't care about people wearing masks. I don't hold it against them. I wear one all day at work.

And Lethean, we're just having a conversation between pals, so I'm only asking...

When will you be ready to go out for dinner with your family? Is it open ended? Six months? 12 months? Post vaccine?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 08:46:56 PM by Mr. Crabs »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4181 on: July 01, 2020, 09:00:21 PM »
I don't have any desire to go to a restaurant right now.  I can't really say when I will.  Post vaccine - sure. Otherwise I don't see me doing it unless the numbers are way way down. 

There are a lot of strict protocols for people who go into the office where I work, and there's a lot of cleaning going on. But, I (and anyone else who can work from home) am still not allowed to go in.  So, why would I want to go to a restaurant?  I don't feel like my life it's a lot worse off for it either.  In fact, my wallet and my weight seem to think the opposite.  :)

To me, going out to eat is something that's fun. It's something I enjoy doing.  But I'm not suffering without it.  It's a nice to have, but not a must have.  If I have to wait for a vaccine or herd immunity, I can do it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4182 on: July 01, 2020, 09:13:31 PM »
I’m with ya Lethean. And so is Mrs.jingle. It’s gonna be a long time before we go out for a restaurant meal.  She’s missing sushi, but dead, raw fish isn’t worth the risk of a tube down the throat, or being a symptomatic and spreading it (particularly because jingle.son had asthma as a child). Sure, the risk is small, but it’s not zero. The risk of me getting into a serious car accident is low, but I still wear a seatbelt.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #4183 on: July 01, 2020, 09:25:28 PM »
I agree with Lethean and Jingle.  Perfectly happy eating take out sushi by the pool:)
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4184 on: July 01, 2020, 10:18:56 PM »

A friend's brother, who I see like 3 times a year, is one of those guys who feels the need to squeeze your hand as hard as he can every time he shakes it. Does that to everyone.  Dude probably has small genitals.  :lol :lol

Kitchens have been doing fist bumps for years, and now we've progressed to the elbow bump.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4185 on: July 02, 2020, 05:52:44 AM »

Kitchens have been doing fist bumps for years, and now we've progressed to the elbow bump.

See, this I don't understand - everyone sneezes into the inside of their elbow, right?  I'd prefer that no one's elbow gets anywhere close to me.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4186 on: July 02, 2020, 05:54:11 AM »

We touch knife tips like nobles.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:59:54 AM by Chino »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4187 on: July 02, 2020, 05:55:06 AM »
Rub noses, like Eskimoses?

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #4188 on: July 02, 2020, 07:53:40 AM »

See, this I don't understand - everyone sneezes into the inside of their elbow, right?  I'd prefer that no one's elbow gets anywhere close to me.

:lol I'm with you JingleBoy.

As far as restaurants go, I did go out with my family to one about a month ago for one of my sons birthdays.  Things actually went pretty well and I was impressed with how the restaurant changed how they opperate to help prevent the spread of Covid-19.  It ended up being a good experience and a much needed outing for me and my family.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4189 on: July 02, 2020, 07:59:20 AM »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #4190 on: July 02, 2020, 08:03:15 AM »

Guess I'll go back to just giving everyone the finger then.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4191 on: July 02, 2020, 08:08:05 AM »
TAC, I'm still having a tough time figuring out exactly why what she did bothered you, since she was doing exactly what virtually every doctor in the world has been saying to do (if you get together, stay at least 6 feet away, and/or wear a mask).  What's the issue?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4192 on: July 02, 2020, 08:41:57 AM »

Yeah, but where has your finger been!!   :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4193 on: July 02, 2020, 08:53:31 AM »
TAC, I'm still having a tough time figuring out exactly why what she did bothered you, since she was doing exactly what virtually every doctor in the world has been saying to do (if you get together, stay at least 6 feet away, and/or wear a mask).  What's the issue?

No issue. My issue.

I guess I was surprised.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4194 on: July 02, 2020, 09:08:36 AM »

This ain't ending anytime soon. At some point we have to go outside. At some point we have to socialize besides fucking facebook.

My wife made a comment about going somewhere and said she'd be more comfortable in a few months. I was like, what will be the difference between now and a few months? Nothing, that is, except a comfort level.

So I don't know how else to state my feelings on this without sounding like an ingrateful dick. Personally, I find it ridiculous that she wouldn't get within a few feet from him, mask or no mask.

I'm far more concerned with why your wife's boyfriend was there.   

I'M KIDDING.

I think I DO understand you though, and I certainly understand your feelings.  I'm honestly not sure how I feel about that subject in general.  I kind of go both ways at this point.   I see the need/benefit of caution, but I also see a lot of...  knee-jerking, and that doesn't really help the problem, because "knee-jerks" tend to rebound. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #4195 on: July 02, 2020, 09:13:33 AM »

Yeah, but where has your finger been!!   :lol

In a warm, moist, safe place.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4196 on: July 02, 2020, 09:16:13 AM »
I’m with ya Lethean. And so is Mrs.jingle. It’s gonna be a long time before we go out for a restaurant meal.  She’s missing sushi, but dead, raw fish isn’t worth the risk of a tube down the throat, or being a symptomatic and spreading it (particularly because jingle.son had asthma as a child). Sure, the risk is small, but it’s not zero. The risk of me getting into a serious car accident is low, but I still wear a seatbelt.

I think we have to account for "people", though.   I'm cool being by myself.  I prefer it, actually.  But I have moments where I just NEED to be around people.   I rarely go out, but I need time once in a while where I just talk to someone who isn't my wife, isn't my kid, isn't my boss.   When I travel for work, that itch gets scratched easily; stop in at the bar in the terminal and strike up a convo.  Easy as pie.  I've not done that now in going on five months.   And it's fine to sit here and type - as I am - and say "well, is that vodka soda and conversation with some dude you're never going to see again worth dying for?"; that's an easy question.   But that's not how the human brain works for everyone.  How many stories do we all know where it's "is that one [bump of coke/fuck/drink/football game/job/hobby] worth losing everything for?  Why yes it is!"

My ego says I'm disciplined enough (my lack of self-esteem says I'm a p***y) that I haven't made that choice yet, but I can absolutely see why the mental relief of a night out or a gathering could have incredible attraction for someone.  We've got to account for this. 

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #4197 on: July 02, 2020, 10:35:36 AM »

This can’t go unappreciated. The fact it’s almost Independence Day makes it even better.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4198 on: July 02, 2020, 10:42:20 AM »

If only. The amount of hand and free air sneezers I see is really alarming and I don't understand why the elbow isn't a 100% common sense thing for people. My dad constantly coughs and sneezes directly into his fist even after being talked to about it for years. Can't change folks.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #4199 on: July 02, 2020, 10:52:19 AM »

If only. The amount of hand and free air sneezers I see is really alarming and I don't understand why the elbow isn't a 100% common sense thing for people. My dad constantly coughs and sneezes directly into his fist even after being talked to about it for years. Can't change folks.

As with forming any new habbit, it takes time to change.  Societal changes generally take a very long time sometimes more than one generation. (I know the idea of sneazing/coughing in the elbow has been around for a while)
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"