Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 434494 times)

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #3640 on: May 23, 2020, 05:21:29 AM »
Just train dogs to detect the bastard from urine samples, their smell is apparently good enough to distinguish it.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3641 on: May 23, 2020, 02:06:47 PM »
Bored and looking at Gulf shores and Panama City beach cams.  Quite a few people on the beaches and will be more tomorrow since most rentals are Weekly with late Saturday check in.  We are planning to go late June , but will wait until closer to departure date.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3642 on: May 24, 2020, 09:04:36 AM »
Active Covid test came back negative, so that's a relief.

Still have shortness of breath and a cough, but no temperature. So I am gonna chalk this one up to allergies

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3643 on: May 24, 2020, 09:38:39 AM »
Active Covid test came back negative, so that's a relief.

Still have shortness of breath and a cough, but no temperature. So I am gonna chalk this one up to allergies

Good to hear. This time of year and the allergies are going to scare a lot of people.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3644 on: May 24, 2020, 10:47:58 AM »
Just came here to post the same thing.   My wife's test came back negative.  So either just a different kind of cold, or just bad allergies.  (there's wicked cottonwood out this year)

In any event, I'm back to work Tuesday.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3645 on: May 24, 2020, 10:57:16 AM »
Good to hear!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3646 on: May 24, 2020, 11:02:42 AM »
dtf.org members: 2, Covid-19: 0.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3647 on: May 24, 2020, 01:49:29 PM »
In early May, we opened our family social circle up to my in-laws.  Keeping my now 5 year old at home, without preschool, for 6 weeks straight was tough.  So for the last month, she has been  spending a day or two at my in-laws every week.

This weekend, my father in law saw his chiropractor.  Neither he, nor the chiropractor wore a mask during the appointment, and my father in law is being so flippant about it, like it's not a big deal.  So it looks like we may be keeping my daughter out of their house for two weeks.  We have until Tuesday to decide (since I have to go into my office that day and it would be easier if my daughter were at the in-laws). 

>:(

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3648 on: May 24, 2020, 04:32:50 PM »
Then you see something like this:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/second-stylist-same-missouri-hair-salon-tests-positive-nearly-140-n1214036

I fear this will snowball over the coming weeks. June should be real telling with many states lifting restrictions.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3649 on: May 24, 2020, 05:49:25 PM »
Then you see something like this:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/second-stylist-same-missouri-hair-salon-tests-positive-nearly-140-n1214036

I fear this will snowball over the coming weeks. June should be real telling with many states lifting restrictions.

Many stories like this -Missouri hair stylist; Arkansas pool party; these stories of new clusters will come fast and furious.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3650 on: May 25, 2020, 01:17:54 AM »
I really hope we don't get a second wave, but looking around I have to say I would not be surprised. Like, at the parking lot near my flat was a group of 30-40 people having a party with the cars playing music. These people were sharing large balloons of nitrous oxide (extremely popular party drug here). All of them. Hanging out with a group of friends outside with some music on and a bit of distance should be fine. But what annoys me is that people have to take it further and even share balloons/drugs/whatnot. Also can't say I have ever seen a group of people doing drugs on this scale so publically. Guess the lack of pubs/clubs is really wearing on people. And Amsterdam was busy as hell last week.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 01:52:43 AM by ErHaO »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3651 on: May 25, 2020, 01:33:21 AM »
In Italy the big issue of the moment is people overcrowding the bars zone. You see every day photos of zones where usually there was nightlife, which are completely crowded like if there was no pandemic around.

It's a double edged sword because on one hand, bars and restaurants DID open, and they are required to inforce social distancing, sanitizing, etc..., but on the other hand, if you allow people to go outside, they will just do it; nobody will "sacrifice" themselves and say "well, it's better to sit tight for a while", everyone will go out expecting somebody else to stay at home instead. I can't imagine anybody going into "Nightlife Trendy Street", seeing many people around, and go "oh shit it's better we go home". Once they've decided to have a night out, they will.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3652 on: May 25, 2020, 08:12:37 AM »
I really hope we don't get a second wave, but looking around I have to say I would not be surprised. Like, at the parking lot near my flat was a group of 30-40 people having a party with the cars playing music. These people were sharing large balloons of nitrous oxide (extremely popular party drug here). All of them. Hanging out with a group of friends outside with some music on and a bit of distance should be fine. But what annoys me is that people have to take it further and even share balloons/drugs/whatnot. Also can't say I have ever seen a group of people doing drugs on this scale so publically. Guess the lack of pubs/clubs is really wearing on people. And Amsterdam was busy as hell last week.

Well, if they get it and get the bad case of the virus. It's on them, and no one else. They knew what they did and they have no one to blame but themselves.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3653 on: May 25, 2020, 11:10:17 AM »
...but on the other hand, if you allow people to go outside, they will just do it; nobody will "sacrifice" themselves and say "well, it's better to sit tight for a while", everyone will go out expecting somebody else to stay at home instead.

Lots of people are going to sit tight for a while, and not out of any sense of sacrifice or selflessness. They just feel it better for themselves and their family not to hit their favorite restaurants right when they open up.

I read an article stating that the WA state Covid-19 dashboard has the note: “Our dashboard numbers do include any death to a person that has tested positive to COVID-9.” It was confirmed that 5 people who died of gunshot wounds were listed in the count as they had the virus when they died. I know everyone is making this up as we go but it is sad we will never have an accurate account of the deaths directly caused by the virus. Of course one is too many, but we get so caught up in the numbers (DATA! as our governor likes to say) and these numbers are not telling the full story.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3654 on: May 26, 2020, 07:56:52 AM »

Well, if they get it and get the bad case of the virus. It's on them, and no one else. They knew what they did and they have no one to blame but themselves.

While true, if it happens to enough people the hospitals will clutter again and then it becomes the problem of everyone in need of hospitalization. No matter which case statistics you look at, the truth is that many hospitals were under much strain early on already.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3655 on: May 26, 2020, 09:25:19 AM »
Well it seems my coronavacation is coming to an end this Friday, they're opening up the offices I work at for grab and go lunches. Staffing will be very minimal of course, and social distancing will be paramount. It will be very interesting to see what goes on.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3656 on: May 26, 2020, 09:50:05 AM »
Lots of covidiots out this weekend. These are the people that are going to fuck this up for everyone.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3657 on: May 26, 2020, 10:21:19 AM »
Most if not all of those fall into two categories that I don't get:
1.  If you legitimately think the government's reaction to the pandemic was incorrect and that the destruction of the economy is too high a price to pay, I can understand that.  But I can't understand feeling that your subjective understanding of how the world should work is so superior that you think it's cool to make the majority of people around you uncomfortable at best, and unnecessarily exposed to a serious health risk at worst.
2.  Covid-19 or no Covid-19, I don't see any attraction whatsoever to being elbow to elbow with huge crowds of people in the heat for no apparent reason. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3658 on: May 26, 2020, 10:37:32 AM »
Most if not all of those fall into two categories that I don't get:
1.  If you legitimately think the government's reaction to the pandemic was incorrect and that the destruction of the economy is too high a price to pay, I can understand that.  But I can't understand feeling that your subjective understanding of how the world should work is so superior that you think it's cool to make the majority of people around you uncomfortable at best, and unnecessarily exposed to a serious health risk at worst.
2.  Covid-19 or no Covid-19, I don't see any attraction whatsoever to being elbow to elbow with huge crowds of people in the heat for no apparent reason.

+1.

I don't even like being elbow to elbow with shirted people at concerts. OUT OF MY BUBBLE!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3659 on: May 26, 2020, 10:49:29 AM »
Lots of covidiots out this weekend. These are the people that are going to fuck this up for everyone.
 *snipped*

Future Darwin award winners.

Like seriously... there are no words.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3660 on: May 26, 2020, 10:52:28 AM »
OMG of course the two gals from Belfield are both Karen.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3661 on: May 26, 2020, 10:53:25 AM »
^^ methinks that's a photoshop, considering the questionable quality of the font there and how it says mematic at the bottom
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3662 on: May 26, 2020, 11:21:51 AM »
That girl with the mask-ini looks like a Storm Thorgerson album cover outtake. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3663 on: May 26, 2020, 11:36:33 AM »
That girl with the mask-ini looks like a Storm Thorgerson album cover outtake. 

:lol

Moved from the irritated thread:

I get it, it's totally anecdotal and useless in terms of any analysis, but the house directly across the street:  big heart in the front window with a rainbow... and those stupid fuckerspeople spend all day Sunday in their side yard - about 25 of them - pounding beer, eating pizza and otherwise thumbing their nose at any and all seemingly not engaging in COVID-19 preventative measures.  Actually, one woman showed up with a mask, and a guy said something to her and she took it off, laughing, and that was the only mask I saw all day.   

Where is the line now? My family went to my sister's house this weekend. 2 families, 4 adults, 4 kids. 3 adults working from home, 1 adult furloughed, all 4 kids home from school/daycare, everyone limiting their exposure as much as possible (limiting trips to essential purposes, wearing masks while in stores, etc...) Are we stupid fuckers thumbing our noses at any and all?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3664 on: May 26, 2020, 11:51:36 AM »
I apologize if you feel judged; not my intent.  When I said it was anecdotal, I was hoping to encompass scenarios like yours.  But that gathering Sunday across the street was in direct violation of our governor's guidance.  Now, I'm not a nosy Nelly, and I am not one to put calls in on stuff like that.  But I think it does go to the surficiality of some of the gestures by some of the people.   I don't expect that the guy who defaced his own pick-up truck with his sloganeering (and bad spelling) has too many "hearts" and "rainbows" signs on his house, but if you're going to say you respect the people who are endangering themselves to help the rest of us, I would think that would require at least a modicum of effort. 

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3665 on: May 26, 2020, 12:05:35 PM »
There are actually recommendations on how to thoughtfully expand your quarantine circle:  https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/clarissajanlim/quarantine-circle-public-health-experts-quaranteam
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3666 on: May 26, 2020, 12:06:10 PM »
I knew you were trying to make a bigger point that "Dudes across the street had a BBQ" so I hesitated to jump in. But it got me thinking. I knew our visit was against our state's guidelines, but as you would say, by our own calculus we made the decision to proceed.

Another event this weekend also got me thinking. We were at the park for a walk, and saw some people spray paint the paved walkway. That shit pisses me off to no end (I posted a rant about it in the 'Pissed Off' thread a while ago) and I called the cops. I would have approached them if my family wasn't with me. Biggest crime of the century? No, but defacing public property, especially a park, deserves a chat with Johnny. At the same time, it never would occur to me to call in a sighting of some guys playing basketball or volleyball in the park (both of which I saw while driving), or any other sort of gathering in a public or private place. Maybe that is hypocritical of me, but it makes sense within my own philosophy.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3667 on: May 26, 2020, 12:14:11 PM »
There are actually recommendations on how to thoughtfully expand your quarantine circle:  https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/clarissajanlim/quarantine-circle-public-health-experts-quaranteam

I think most people who take this seriously and have given critical thought to how this works, and apply that to decisions on what to do and not do have come to a lot of similar conclusions as what is posted there.  But still very helpful.

Something a lot of us have been saying, but I think is very nicely and succinctly put from that article is this (emphasis mine):

This isn't just about individuals. This is about public health and the spread [of the virus], and the fact that we don't know who's a carrier and who's not, for the most part.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3668 on: May 26, 2020, 12:29:05 PM »
I'd say that USA's problem is that, absurdingly, having won the two World Wars and having never being invaded backfired, because people do not have the slightest clue about what it actually and REALLY means having your freedom taken away.

But then again those kind of idiots are abundant also in Italy where our grandfathers died in a war thrusted upon us by a dictatorhsip, and they are also everywhere in the world, so....... I'm not sure how a dose of REAL oppresion in the past would have helped anyway.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3669 on: May 26, 2020, 04:34:05 PM »
Looking at the covidiots......hey, so you won't get it, or you believe your man upstairs won't let you get it.  If you are asymptomatic, aren't you concerned that the pregnant women or health professional next to you might get it from you?  Or that they are caring for an elderly parent who is susceptible? 

Again, is 'no shirts no shoes no service' infringing on your constitutional rights? 

I'm outraged!!!  For decades, golf courses I've played have insisted on no ratty jeans or cutoffs, and one must wear a collared shirt.  I had no idea that my civil rights were being trampled on all this time. :facepalm:
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3670 on: May 26, 2020, 06:01:47 PM »
^^ Those guys are just morons and don't care about anyone but themselves.  They'll change their tune if they get it, but they wouldn't care if anyone (that's not important to them) around them gets it.  It's pretty sad that there are people like that around in this rather tumultuous times.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3671 on: May 27, 2020, 07:37:05 AM »
I wish I could say I'm surprised, though.   This is just the latest iteration of what I think we've been experiencing for a while, and if one wants to look hard enough, it transcends party, it transcends education, it transcends economics...   we're not really a "MeToo" nation, we're a "MeFirst" nation.   

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3672 on: May 27, 2020, 08:43:51 AM »
Work has extended our work from home until the end of the year as of yesterday's announcemnet.  They expect some teams to phase back in before then, but for most people, they will not be returning to the office this year.  Crazy, we are only half way through 2020.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3673 on: May 27, 2020, 08:47:43 AM »
I wish I could say I'm surprised, though.   This is just the latest iteration of what I think we've been experiencing for a while, and if one wants to look hard enough, it transcends party, it transcends education, it transcends economics...   we're not really a "MeToo" nation, we're a "MeFirst" nation.

Don't tread on me, mofo!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3674 on: May 27, 2020, 09:02:54 AM »
Work has extended our work from home until the end of the year as of yesterday's announcemnet.  They expect some teams to phase back in before then, but for most people, they will not be returning to the office this year.  Crazy, we are only half way through 2020.
I wish I'd get some clarity from my company on this. I suspect it will last through the summer, but they haven't said anything. They could call us back in next week. I'm loving working from home and would love to do it 3-4 days a week permanently. I've told my boss this, but she has no idea either what the company has in mind.