Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 433819 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2020, 12:10:31 PM »
I heard on an alternative news outlet that the number of sick in China was more like 90,000 not 2,000 like what's being reported by the government.  I don't know how much truth there is in that, I guess we'll have to wait and see how it behaves in western countries to know how bad it really is.  (thank God for a free press)

This is a little conspiracy theoryish, but there are also some saying that it came from a government run infectious diseases lab instead of from animals.

Of course there's no way to tell if any of this is true.

But, still not even close to the numbers of the flu every year.

Is this alternate source anonymous?

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2020, 02:06:59 PM »
I heard on an alternative news outlet that the number of sick in China was more like 90,000 not 2,000 like what's being reported by the government.  I don't know how much truth there is in that, I guess we'll have to wait and see how it behaves in western countries to know how bad it really is.  (thank God for a free press)

This is a little conspiracy theoryish, but there are also some saying that it came from a government run infectious diseases lab instead of from animals.

Of course there's no way to tell if any of this is true.

But, still not even close to the numbers of the flu every year.

Is this alternate source anonymous?

No, I was just lazy and didn't bother looking it up before I posted.  I'm a bit of a conspiracy theory nut so my sources should be taken with a grain of salt :).

I've heard those theories on Glen Beck (radio/youtube), Tim Pool (youtube), and Ground Zero (late night radio show)
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2020, 06:27:58 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2020, 02:47:20 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51318246

The new coronavirus has been declared a global emergency by the World Health Organization, as the outbreak continues to spread outside China.
"The main reason for this declaration is not what is happening in China but what is happening in other countries," said WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
The concern is that it could spread to countries with weaker health systems.
The death toll now stands at 170 people in China.
The WHO said there had been 98 cases in 18 countries outside of the country, but no deaths.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2020, 03:10:12 PM »
This is getting scarier by the minute.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2020, 03:12:23 PM »
It reached Italy as well. Two chinese tourists infected in Rome.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2020, 04:57:14 PM »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2020, 06:18:51 AM »
It reached Italy as well. Two chinese tourists infected in Rome.

First two cases in Russia today, both Chinese citizens as well.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2020, 08:10:18 AM »
First confirmed case here in Sweden now.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2020, 08:15:28 AM »
I think I'd heard it's a 14-day incubation period whereby hosts are infectious yet not symptomatic?  The fact it's spreading this fast in the first 2 weeks is the most alarming part.  These confirmed cases could have been with these people for the last 2 weeks.  I think the next 2 weeks will be the most telling.  If the cases continue to rise and spread at an accelerated pace, we could be fucked. If it stays the same rate or flattens out, things should be ok?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2020, 08:45:31 AM »
I think I'd heard it's a 14-day incubation period whereby hosts are infectious yet not symptomatic?  The fact it's spreading this fast in the first 2 weeks is the most alarming part.  These confirmed cases could have been with these people for the last 2 weeks.  I think the next 2 weeks will be the most telling.  If the cases continue to rise and spread at an accelerated pace, we could be fucked. If it stays the same rate or flattens out, things should be ok?

What is mildly alarming to me relates to this a bit...given the crackdown on even discussing/acknowledging this in China, we really don't even know the trajectory this thing is taking, especially with an incubation period this long.  It's tough to have accurate inputs for a model when the State is controlling the information, and jailing anyone who says anything that doesn't jibe exactly with the official story.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2020, 08:48:35 AM »
My company has halted all flights to China and has requested any employee who's been to China within the last three weeks to call a specific number to discuss "next steps".

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2020, 08:52:22 AM »

What is mildly alarming to me relates to this a bit...given the crackdown on even discussing/acknowledging this in China, we really don't even know the trajectory this thing is taking, especially with an incubation period this long.  It's tough to have accurate inputs for a model when the State is controlling the information, and jailing anyone who says anything that doesn't jibe exactly with the official story.

I think this is more scary to me than the virus itself.  The death rate of this isn't so high to make me think this is going to kill so much of the population but without any truth of whats going on there, many more people are likely to be exposed and will die because the information isn't accurate to properly contain this.  The positive, everyone else seems to be taking it very seriously and containing people who could be infected is a good start because who knows who could be carrying this virus if you've recently been in China.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2020, 09:04:19 AM »

I think this is more scary to me than the virus itself.  The death rate of this isn't so high to make me think this is going to kill so much of the population but without any truth of whats going on there, many more people are likely to be exposed and will die because the information isn't accurate to properly contain this.  The positive, everyone else seems to be taking it very seriously and containing people who could be infected is a good start because who knows who could be carrying this virus if you've recently been in China.

Everyone except this guy:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/30/health/us-coronavirus-thursday/index.html

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2020, 09:09:27 AM »
Well to be fair, it must SUCK to not feel sick and have to be quarantined for 2 weeks

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2020, 09:10:18 AM »
Well to be fair, it must SUCK to not feel sick and have to be quarantined for 2 weeks

Probably feels like a more boring version of that Tom Hanks airport movie.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2020, 09:11:25 AM »

Probably feels like a more boring version of that Tom Hanks airport movie.

:lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2020, 05:07:52 AM »
And here we go.  First case of being infected outside of China *by* a host who was non-symptomatic in the incubation period.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-spread-before-symptoms.html

Shit is going to get real.  Back to the OP, I think we could be heading into Spanish flu territory.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2020, 07:04:59 AM »
Got a case in the SF Bay Area yesterday...no real surprise with the size of the Chinese population here.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2020, 02:17:13 PM »
First suspected case in toronto this morning.

I think this will be like SARS - very scary for a short period of time,but much ado about nothing in the long run

I must've missed that one. I think Ebola was the last one I remember the media hyping up.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2020, 08:20:17 AM »
"The death toll in China climbed by 45 to 304 and the number of cases by 2,590 to 14,380, according to the National Health Commission, well above the number of those infected in in the 2002-03 outbreak of SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, which broke out in southern China and spread worldwide"

:|

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2020, 08:51:49 AM »
^^^very scary and in addition to that, its now been reported on the East coast as well

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/02/01/metro/massachusetts-reports-first-confirmed-case-coronavirus/

This is getting really bad

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2020, 11:27:53 AM »
Also, the first fatality outside of China... Vietnam.  Dude in his mid-40s.

:|

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2020, 07:16:16 PM »
China is now flying drones through the streets spraying disinfectants.  And The Bay area in Cali now has three confirmed cases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhfBxjTLRpU

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/south-bay/second-case-of-coronavirus-in-bay-area-confirmed/2225499/

I'll admit, I'm starting to get worried even though the numbers are still way below that of the flu.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2020, 07:20:13 PM »
Are you in the Bay Area?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2020, 08:55:59 PM »
Are you in the Bay Area?

No, just been reading the news.  I live in Utah.  So far we don't have any cases, but we also don't have any direct oversees flights so it may take a little longer to get there.  I volunteer as local clergy in my church and I'm beginning to think we may need to put an emergency plan in place for our congregation just in case.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2020, 07:51:41 AM »
The good news seems to be that the death rate seems to be fairly low, though even a few % can add up to a lot of people if is widely spread worldwide.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2020, 08:17:46 AM »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2020, 08:46:34 AM »
Checked in on my friend in China. Luckily she's been on vacation but she said the town she lives in, while mostly shut down, seems to be safe for now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2020, 09:10:22 AM »
Does anyone have any info on where we can meet up with Mother Abigail?
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2020, 09:14:57 AM »

I would've pegged most DTF'rs for more of a Flagg crew.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2020, 09:21:40 AM »

Pretty sure in Boulder, CO.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2020, 11:17:53 AM »

Nah... we'd all be Mother Abigail crew all the way because we'd want to keep our vices  :lol.  Flagg was crucifying people remember?  Anytime I play pool I think about Lloyd nailing the guy that was speed balling to the cross with Trash.

As said by others, the rapid spread and rapid confirmed-cases increase is quite alarming; kind of makes me think that there are a LOT more cases than we're being told.  The Chinese government also fired several officials yesterday (or the news report was yesterday) for their handling of the virus which is telling as well. 

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2020, 11:27:55 AM »

While I know the Flagg reference, I don't know the Abigail one.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol