Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 435223 times)

Offline Harmony

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #280 on: March 02, 2020, 05:09:34 PM »
Does anyone find it odd that kids seem to be unaffected?  I mean, I'm happy about this and obvs it may change.  But kids are usually one of the MOST at risk groups.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #281 on: March 02, 2020, 05:13:33 PM »
Honestly i'm not that worried about getting the virus myself however i'm much more worried about infecting people I care about especially my older parents and people in my inner circle without knowing it.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #282 on: March 02, 2020, 05:14:50 PM »
My coworker and I are pretty much consigned to the fact that we are getting sick. In fact we thought we'd time our coronavacations by purposely licking the hand rail at the Bart station when the virus gets rolling here

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #283 on: March 02, 2020, 05:39:47 PM »
My coworker and I are pretty much consigned to the fact that we are getting sick. In fact we thought we'd time our coronavacations by purposely licking the hand rail at the Bart station when the virus gets rolling here

Thank goodness, I got out of San Francisco when I did, last Monday, if that's what you guys were scheming.  Took a BART back on the previous Saturday.  Probably could have contracted something if I touched a hand rail.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #284 on: March 02, 2020, 05:43:32 PM »
Does anyone find it odd that kids seem to be unaffected?  I mean, I'm happy about this and obvs it may change.  But kids are usually one of the MOST at risk groups.

It's to Kill off the old and wise so they can't pass their knowledge to the young.

That's also a concern for me how it's affecting mainly the old and frail. Causing them to perish sooner than the other coronaviruses that we have at least some vaccines for.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #285 on: March 02, 2020, 05:52:12 PM »
I've been hyper-conscious of touching my face today, and it's fucking crazy how many times I do so.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #286 on: March 02, 2020, 06:17:29 PM »
I've been hyper-conscious of touching my face today, and it's fucking crazy how many times I do so.
Me too. I have been realizing this as well.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #287 on: March 02, 2020, 06:36:41 PM »
We need an app that sounds an alarm whenever we touch our face.  Or one that triggers some sort of electric shock.   :laugh:

Even just thinking about not touching my face makes my nose itch.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #288 on: March 02, 2020, 06:39:30 PM »
We need an app that sounds an alarm whenever we touch our face.  Or one that triggers some sort of electric shock.   :laugh:

Even just thinking about not touching my face makes my nose itch.

Right? Trying to remember some of the tricks from my CBT classes in early recovery. There was one where we'd use a clicker for every time we engaged in an unwanted behavior (being judgemental of someone for example). It's amazing how quickly the count rises.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #289 on: March 03, 2020, 02:01:24 AM »

In children the innate immune system is stronger than in adults. In adults the adaptive immune system is more developed. I believe the hypothesis is that a strong innate immune system can effectively challenge/prevent a corona infection. And unlike flu, the adaptive immune systems of adults don't have experience with similar antigens.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #290 on: March 03, 2020, 06:34:29 AM »
Today I tried to be careful in my own little bubble and not fumble and be careful so to speak. Literally 5 secs after I accidently knocked the mug I have my toothbrushes in all over my dirty bathroom floor.

I think I might have to burn them all.

:facepalm:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: March 03, 2020, 07:43:55 AM »
Nine new cases in Sweden today, all of them having been in nothern Italy. Some of them did not fly but take their own car.

In total we now have 24 cases.

I work at a small company with only about 40 people of whom 1 just come home from nothern Italy by car. The area the person was in, Trentino, does not have many casrs yet but a lot of Italians were there as well so....

Not totally comfortable with this..... hope the person does not develop symptoms
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:06:29 AM by SwedishGoose »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #292 on: March 03, 2020, 07:53:27 AM »
I have the suspicion that it's not that Italy is the 2.0 version of the Bubonic Plague, and that we're swamped with the disease while other nations are lucky. I'm afraid Italy has those many cases because we are currently and actively searching for them. And if systematic and thorough checks would be performed elsewhere, the numbers would rise drastically everywhere.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #293 on: March 03, 2020, 08:06:13 AM »
In fact we thought we'd time our coronavacations by purposely licking the hand rail at the Bart station when the virus gets rolling here

???  You mean, you don't do that as a regular thing?  Am I the only one?

I can't help getting the felling that this virus is creepin up on you no matter how careful you are.

Kind of makes you think how easily you can obtain it without knowing about it.

Well, yeah, I mean, since it's basically a new strain of the common cold, which goes around all. the. time., of course it's easy to get.

Nothing in this is surprising, but this is a good quick reference for what it is and how it spreads:  https://www.yahoo.com/news/surfaces-sneezes-sex-coronavirus-cannot-132505758.html
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:14:23 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Harmony

« Reply #294 on: March 03, 2020, 08:51:16 AM »
For those in the US....so what would you do if you had symptoms - cough, fever, shortness of breath?  They don't want sick people just showing up at the ERs/UCs.  Call your primary doctor, right?  Well, primary docs don't have COVID-19 test kits.  They don't want you coming in either.  ERs/UCs don't have test kits either.  They could test you for influenza A or B and RSV.  But they don't want you coming in.  Where are you going to go?  What if you have an underlying condition like asthma or heart disease?

Self-quarantine and wait it out?  The recommendation is 14 days.  Will your employer be cool with a call - hey, I'm home with a fever and cough so have to be off work for 2 weeks.  My job is safe, right?  I'll still get paid for that, right?  Oh and hey - don't forget the note from your doctor.  You know, the one you can't go see.  Good luck!

The US response so far has been abysmal.  Test kits should've been widely distributed by early February.

If some other country wanted to know what our weakest spot is, I think they've discovered it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #295 on: March 03, 2020, 08:52:12 AM »
For those in the US....so what would you do if you had symptoms - cough, fever, shortness of breath?  They don't want sick people just showing up at the ERs/UCs.  Call your primary doctor, right?  Well, primary docs don't have COVID-19 test kits.  They don't want you coming in either.  ERs/UCs don't have test kits either.  They could test you for influenza A or B and RSV.  But they don't want you coming in.  Where are you going to go?  What if you have an underlying condition like asthma or heart disease?

Self-quarantine and wait it out?  The recommendation is 14 days.  Will your employer be cool with a call - hey, I'm home with a fever and cough so have to be off work for 2 weeks.  My job is safe, right?  I'll still get paid for that, right?  Oh and hey - don't forget the note from your doctor.  You know, the one you can't go see.  Good luck!

The US response so far has been abysmal.  Test kits should've been widely distributed by early February.

If some other country wanted to know what our weakest spot is, I think they've discovered it.

I have it on good authority that the US is getting many elements of medical.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Harmony

« Reply #296 on: March 03, 2020, 08:55:24 AM »
Shit, I keep forgetting.  Everything is going to be just fine.  Thanks for being the voice of reason, Adami.   :azn:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: March 03, 2020, 08:56:59 AM »

My upper management sent out a very long email last night with many times saying "stay home" essentially if you have any iota of having this.  So I think my company is cool with it if you are sick, but 2 weeks is a long time and I wonder how long it would be until they change their tune if things aren't getting completed.

Having said that, to answer your question, I would self quarantine.  If I had a chronic illness and felt this coming on, I would put a mask on and go to the hospital because that would be a life threatening situation IMO so best to place yourself there and also cover yourself up to prevent from spreading.  However, most cases are mild so if I felt like I was potentially getting this virus, for me, I would bunker down at home and not let anyone over.  Maybe ask a friend or family member to drop food off outside the house or something for me (assuming I ran out during my self quarantine).  I see little reason to visit a primary care doctor since like you said, they don't have tests so there's not much they can do other than charge you while you potentially spread the virus more.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #298 on: March 03, 2020, 09:00:48 AM »
I'd do the normal thing.  Stay home if I have a fever.  Go into work otherwise.  I've gone to work with head-cold symptoms.   

I broke my foot 7 weeks ago.  My boss was lenient and let me work from home for a week and a half until I confirmed that I wouldn't need surgery.  After that, it was "you better get your ass in the office now." 

Unless my corporate office declares otherwise, I'll be working.  My boss won't want me to stay home if I just have super-catchy cold symptoms.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #299 on: March 03, 2020, 09:02:42 AM »

My upper management sent out a very long email last night with many times saying "stay home" essentially if you have any iota of having this.  So I think my company is cool with it if you are sick, but 2 weeks is a long time and I wonder how long it would be until they change their tune if things aren't getting completed.

Having said that, to answer your question, I would self quarantine.  If I had a chronic illness and felt this coming on, I would put a mask on and go to the hospital because that would be a life threatening situation IMO so best to place yourself there and also cover yourself up to prevent from spreading.  However, most cases are mild so if I felt like I was potentially getting this virus, for me, I would bunker down at home and not let anyone over.  Maybe ask a friend or family member to drop food off outside the house or something for me (assuming I ran out during my self quarantine).  I see little reason to visit a primary care doctor since like you said, they don't have tests so there's not much they can do other than charge you while you potentially spread the virus more.

My work has sent out a few emails as well, especially now that they moved all of Hartford in open office floor plans. Luckily we're in a department where we'll be able to work from home if need be.

My GP is fucking useless. I had the flu two years ago and they couldn't even test for that. They told me to go to an Urgent Care facility instead. As for the hospital, I'd go there for sure. Though, I'd call them first and tell them I'm coming. They might have some kind of procedure where staff will meet you outside and bring you in an entrance other than the public ER one, just to be on the safe side.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #300 on: March 03, 2020, 09:04:36 AM »
I was listening to NPR yesterday, and in the interview with some Health Care and Economics people, it was said that 55% of people in the Food Service and Health Care industries do not have access to sick time in their jobs.  So these workers, in the industries that can cause a HUGE impact, have to make a decision..... to stay home when sick and not get paid (and possible not pay bills), or go to work sick, get paid, pay bills, and likely make the health situation far worse.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #301 on: March 03, 2020, 09:04:48 AM »
I just sent one of my employees home. He was out yesterday with "flu-like symptoms". Told him to take care of himself but yet he showed up today still feeling like crap ( I appreciate his commitment but I rather him get better and not spread anything, be it the flu or coronavirus).

@Harmony: I probably would do the same as CramX. Stay home unless I feel is life threatening. A second case was confirmed in NY and 2 schools closed down.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #302 on: March 03, 2020, 09:24:46 AM »
I can do the vast majority of my work from home, so I'd likely swing by the office to grab my computer and then work from home for a while. The reality for me though is that I have never skipped a day of work for a cold. So I'd be reluctant to take PTO for what just felt like a mild cold, which is likely what it would be for me.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #303 on: March 03, 2020, 09:48:29 AM »
I feel pretty fortunate to be able to work from home.  Generally I only go into the office once a week.  And if the coronavirus spreads in my state I know already that my department would issue mandatory telework for a period of time.

And I think Harmony brought up a really good point with testing kits and going to the doctor.  And there's one other issue I would like to add to that.  The Cost!  Going to your family doctor is a LOT cheaper than going to the hospital.  If I had to choose between going the to the hospital and staying home if I suspected I had the coronavirus, I would stay home.

I know I've been more on the fear mongering side most of this thread, but this morning caused me to realize that there are certainly far worst things out there.  I don't know if any of you were near the tornados in Tennessee today, but so far there are 19 dead.  That happened in one day in one local area.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: March 03, 2020, 09:56:43 AM »
I just sent one of my employees home. He was out yesterday with "flu-like symptoms". Told him to take care of himself but yet he showed up today still feeling like crap ( I appreciate his commitment but I rather him get better and not spread anything, be it the flu or coronavirus).

This was a big part of the email last night from management.  You aren't a hero for coming in sick, stay home before you make it worse for everyone.  You are actually the opposite of a hero if you come in sick.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: March 03, 2020, 11:08:41 AM »
We have the first case confirmed in Argentina. This thing is spreading really fast
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: March 03, 2020, 11:49:05 AM »
Found this as a good source for a quick overview

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #307 on: March 03, 2020, 12:08:23 PM »
Good indeed!

Encouraging to see Italy having way more recovered people than South Korea, even if we have half of the infected people. Also nice to see that the number of critical people is relatively low.

As it has been said before, the problem it's not the virus itself, it's "just" another cold. The problems are given by the combination of:
- Lack of a vaccine
- Fast spreading
- Hazard to elder and sick people

All of this conspired to put enormous and unsustainable pressure on the hospitals, who can't simply treat EVERYONE at the SAME time. It even causes problems for people who have other "ordinary" issues or needs, because the attention of the entire medical staff is diverted on the patients already recovered for the virus.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #308 on: March 03, 2020, 12:28:06 PM »
Will your employer be cool with a call - hey, I'm home with a fever and cough so have to be off work for 2 weeks.  My job is safe, right?  I'll still get paid for that, right?

Well no, you don't say 2 weeks if you don't know what it is.  Treat it like a cold, do whatever it takes to get better and see what happens.  That's all you can do.  Whether you get paid or not depends on your benefits.  Job security shouldn't be an issue.  Even if you go to short term disability after 5 consecutive days, they can't lay you off.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Harmony

« Reply #309 on: March 03, 2020, 04:22:12 PM »
Will your employer be cool with a call - hey, I'm home with a fever and cough so have to be off work for 2 weeks.  My job is safe, right?  I'll still get paid for that, right?

Well no, you don't say 2 weeks if you don't know what it is.  Treat it like a cold, do whatever it takes to get better and see what happens.  That's all you can do.  Whether you get paid or not depends on your benefits.  Job security shouldn't be an issue.  Even if you go to short term disability after 5 consecutive days, they can't lay you off.

Right - there's an algorithm and as more of the population is tested and found to be positive, the greater the chance we all will eventually be in the algorithm that recommends self-quarantine for 14 days.  For example, if someone in your household tests positive and then you develop symptoms.

And as was mentioned before, many many people do not get any kind of sick time benefits at all.  Especially people who work in the industry that serves us our food.   :-\

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #310 on: March 03, 2020, 04:25:25 PM »
There's literally no way anybody at my job can afford to take anywhere NEAR 2 weeks off. Not even close. Even one guy being gone sick for a day is rough.

If you work at anything larger than a small business and can get time off like that you're extremely lucky especially if you can work from home. I'd totally take advantage of that!!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #311 on: March 03, 2020, 05:58:14 PM »
King county in Washington declared a state of emergency  :-\ be safe anyone in the northwest.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: March 03, 2020, 06:52:09 PM »
I put zero stock in that considering how crappy I think the county leadership is. It's actually been a statewide "state of emergency" for a few days now.

All these petitions are cropping up online DEMANDING school districts (and even UW) close down. Based on no real facts or evidence any of these institutions are at risk. One school closed when a staff member's spouse or something returned from overseas and was sick. Ok.. valid concern there. But she tested negative for Covid-19 and the school reopened.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #313 on: March 03, 2020, 07:45:45 PM »

Right - there's an algorithm and as more of the population is tested and found to be positive, the greater the chance we all will eventually be in the algorithm that recommends self-quarantine for 14 days.  For example, if someone in your household tests positive and then you develop symptoms.

And as was mentioned before, many many people do not get any kind of sick time benefits at all.  Especially people who work in the industry that serves us our food.   :-\

So true. If this thing does catch on, eat at home folks. Take it from a restaurant industry worker who'd be hard pressed to take two weeks of for the sniffles

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #314 on: March 03, 2020, 08:15:47 PM »
No way anyone with a work ethic takes 2 weeks off like that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC