Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 429703 times)

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1960 on: April 02, 2020, 08:02:54 AM »
My work (and company) has stopped on the 23rd of February, because - of course the arts are not-essential - we both are located in the main red area district and tour the country, plus business won't start again before at least November, since summer touring is strongly compromised. To be honest, what's hurting the most is not the monetary aspect, but the slow but steady shifting from being not-essential to feeling bloody useless, especially when talking with my sister (neurologist) in Spain who is witnessing extreme triage (basically "we cure who has hope to heal, good luck to the others") for 12 hours a day and is forbidden to even hug her wife for comfort once she gets home.

My employees are suffering a bit (although the government is helping as much as it can while the illusion of European Union crumbles), so we've decided to convert the costume laboratory to production of masks for the local hospitals, worked by our taylors on voluntary basis only. I've also frozen my tenants' rents for a couple of months (but I doubt I'll be able to keep that going for too long) and - living in a very isolated countryside with few neighbouring villas owned by old people - my wife and me have basically become the area's grocery fetchers. Still, I can't help feeling useless and I've never felt worse about the fundamentally egotistical and parasitical nature of my job.   

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1961 on: April 02, 2020, 08:03:58 AM »
Did you guys see this story? A train engineer purposely derailed a train at full speed with the intent of ramming it into the USS Mercy docked at the Port of Los Angeles with the intent of bringing attention to the govt's hidden agenda...

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bronsonstocking/2020/04/01/man-arrested-after-derailing-train-to-attack-usns-mercy-hospital-ship-docked-in-los-angeles-n2566182

I'd suspect as this event really starts to drag on in the coming months, more people are going to become unglued in this manner.

I expect that there's a logical geographical /logistical explanation for this, but how in the blue friggin hell do you even get a TRAIN off the RAILS and over a SHIP??!?!? especially when you're not in a Michael Bay movie?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1962 on: April 02, 2020, 08:14:15 AM »
The tracks were more or less on a course towards the pier, but they end (obviously) short of that.  The engineer figured that a freight train moving a full speed could blow through the barricades at the end of the tracks, which it did, and continue on until it reached the ship.  It fell pretty far short of reaching the ship, and just ended up doing a shipload of property damage.

Attacking the people who are risking their lives trying to help.  Fucking idiot.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1963 on: April 02, 2020, 08:14:36 AM »
On the positive side of the news, my unemployment got approved and a check was dispersed :)

Congrats!! :)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1964 on: April 02, 2020, 08:19:24 AM »
On the positive side of the news, my unemployment got approved and a check was dispersed :)

Yup, that was the email I woke up to. Not sure how it's going to come though, never been on unemployment before. I was thinking a check would be mailed, but I heard something about a credit card or something. Any Californian got details on this?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1965 on: April 02, 2020, 08:21:39 AM »
The tracks were more or less on a course towards the pier, but they end (obviously) short of that.  The engineer figured that a freight train moving a full speed could blow through the barricades at the end of the tracks, which it did, and continue on until it reached the ship.  It fell pretty far short of reaching the ship, and just ended up doing a shipload of property damage.

Attacking the people who are risking their lives trying to help.  Fucking idiot.

Well-played, my friend.  Well-played. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1966 on: April 02, 2020, 08:25:24 AM »
I didn't even catch that  :lol

Another interesting one....seems the hyper liberal bay area, inventors of the plastic bag ban and the straw ban, have now done an about face and banned reusable grocery bags at stores.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1967 on: April 02, 2020, 08:27:22 AM »
My work (and company) has stopped on the 23rd of February, because - of course the arts are not-essential - we both are located in the main red area district and tour the country, plus business won't start again before at least November, since summer touring is strongly compromised. To be honest, what's hurting the most is not the monetary aspect, but the slow but steady shifting from being not-essential to feeling bloody useless, especially when talking with my sister (neurologist) in Spain who is witnessing extreme triage (basically "we cure who has hope to heal, good luck to the others") for 12 hours a day and is forbidden to even hug her wife for comfort once she gets home.

My employees are suffering a bit (although the government is helping as much as it can while the illusion of European Union crumbles), so we've decided to convert the costume laboratory to production of masks for the local hospitals, worked by our taylors on voluntary basis only. I've also frozen my tenants' rents for a couple of months (but I doubt I'll be able to keep that going for too long) and - living in a very isolated countryside with few neighbouring villas owned by old people - my wife and me have basically become the area's grocery fetchers. Still, I can't help feeling useless and I've never felt worse about the fundamentally egotistical and parasitical nature of my job.

I don't know; I'm in a position where the determination of "essential" is part of the daily analysis, and while I understand it on a practical level, when I'm sitting having a glass of wine, rueing my existance and wondering how I got here, it's really a very arbitrary statement.

Where would we be - and where WILL we be, if this continues too long - without the arts?  Without the pleasure and beauty of seeing the world we live in?   The arts have endured as fundamentally "essential" for centuries, and it's not a coincidence that some of our more revered citizens are themselves in the arts.   Entire countries have based their economies on the tourism trade, so there's a market, a need for that offering. 

I would hardly consider that "parasitic".   I think it may just be a matter of urgency (i.e. time) rather than importance.   

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1968 on: April 02, 2020, 08:41:01 AM »
I agree completely with Stadler.  The arts are essential, just in a different way.  In this particular situation, without the arts, stay at home orders would be much more difficult to bear and so much bleaker.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #1969 on: April 02, 2020, 08:47:47 AM »

Yup, that was the email I woke up to. Not sure how it's going to come though, never been on unemployment before. I was thinking a check would be mailed, but I heard something about a credit card or something. Any Californian got details on this?

I can't speak to CA, but here in NJ, when my wife applied yesterday, she had to choose the option of a debit card or put in our checking account info for direct deposit. We went with the latter.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1970 on: April 02, 2020, 08:49:37 AM »

Don't know about California, but in NY you receive a pre-paid debit card where they would load the money on a weekly basis. I assume it would be the same for California.

EDIT: or as New World Rushman said, maybe you have the option to do Direct Deposit to your personal account.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1971 on: April 02, 2020, 08:52:19 AM »
Thank you, Stads and Lethean. That made me feel a little bit better, really.

I guess it's really a matter of this long and indefinite "now" of primal necessities we're facing which screws with seventy years of prosperity and increasingly superflous needs we're accustomed to. Of course, my work will make a couple of people happy once this is over (I can't be "enjoyed" in a not live situation during lockdown) , and I realise my country without arts and tourism would be just a glorified US aircraft carrier in the Mediterranean, but right now my contribution to society is basically "not getting in the way of useful people who heal, build, and feed other people", and it brings a whiff of revisionist guilt.

Nonetheless, thank you! 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1972 on: April 02, 2020, 09:01:35 AM »
+1 on the arts being essential, I mean how many of us are yearning for a time when we can enjoy a show again?  and how many of us are looking forward to our favorite artists doing their thing in live streams from their home? 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1973 on: April 02, 2020, 09:07:42 AM »

Don't know about California, but in NY you receive a pre-paid debit card where they would load the money on a weekly basis. I assume it would be the same for California.

EDIT: or as New World Rushman said, maybe you have the option to do Direct Deposit to your personal account.

Yeah, upon further research, we get the debit card as well. It's supposed to be mailed within 5 days of my first payment, which was last Monday. This whole not working thing is going to take some getting used to :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1974 on: April 02, 2020, 10:22:04 AM »

Well-played, my friend.  Well-played. 

Heh heh.  One of those things I toss out there just to see if people are paying attention.  Mostly for my own amusement, but it's also cool that others get a chuckle out of it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1975 on: April 02, 2020, 10:37:36 AM »
I glazed over it at first, then paused and hit rewind and thought "well done, Bob".   :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1976 on: April 02, 2020, 10:48:07 AM »
Thanks for the reactions last page, thankfully I am pretty much fever free now! And my lungs feel pretty good too. But all in all it took me two weeks, though initially I thought I just had a massive headache due to whatever. I do hope it was corona, because that would mean I am safe now and able to help during the crisis.

As for my work (which I will be able to do soon again), My usual projects (for the WHO) are pretty much on hold. I work in a big hospital/medical center (not with patients) and they are currently assigning people to different tasks in relation to this crisis. Two people with my function (analyst) are now being trained for corona diagnostics and I will be providing technical support for other diagnostic processes (that align with protocols I was already using). I will also fill in a form that the hospital can use me for whatever they need, be it delivering coffee to the nurses/doctors or something else. Anyways, given the nature of this crisis, I thankfully have a good job security on the long run. 

As for my voluntary work, which is team leader First Aid for the Red Cross, I am unfortunately not allowed to work at other locations than the hospital I work at (with good reason, offcourse). It sucks, because they need people more than ever. One of the reasons is that a lot of help is needed with our refugees (from Syria etc.). They do not have a citizenship and the same rights and will potentially be hit extremely hard because of this as well. So now our first aid volunteers are busy on that front. I hope they will have immunity tests soon, so that I will be able to support the Red Cross as well (if my illness did end up being corona).

Regarding the situation in the Netherlands; I get the feeling our healthcare system is very different from that of other European countries (mainly countries like Italy & Spain), where the goal is to heal basically everybody as soon as possible. Our healthcare system, or maybe our society, is more focused on quality of living, rather than stretching out a life when there's barely any chance for recovery. We're also not prone to place everybody who enters a hospital on the Intensive Care immediately. From what I gathered - and this may be wrong -  is that in Italy, elderly people who already have a lower chance at survival, are put on the Intensive Care beds, essentially filling up places that now can not be used for younger folk, who then die as well. The death toll actually goes up if you try your best to save people with little chance, by not having the resources to aid those with a higher chance to survive. Sounds pretty terrible to type stuff like that out, but in these situations, I think the health care's goal should not be about saving everybody, because that's impossible - it should be about healing as many people as possible and, harsh as it sounds, this includes not using all your resources on people who are going to die anyway.

^ I don't know if that came across in the right way and I truly do not mean to offend anyone with it. I am not a healthcare worker (teacher here), but I have many friends that are. The situation in our hospitals right now is not nice, but the way our healthcare is organised - like I said, quality of life before prolongation - has actually made the situation more managable here as far as I can tell.

Indeed, as for the Netherlands, I think this is accurate.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1977 on: April 02, 2020, 10:58:43 AM »
Glad you are feeling better  :tup

My first time in a full week out of the house and at work to get a few things done this afternoon.  Just so weird being on the empty streets and empty work building.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1978 on: April 02, 2020, 10:59:28 AM »
Glad you're feeling better bud!!

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1979 on: April 02, 2020, 11:15:22 AM »
Very glad you're feeling better! :metal
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1980 on: April 02, 2020, 11:16:40 AM »
Glad you're feeling better!

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1981 on: April 02, 2020, 11:20:49 AM »
Glad everything's ok!  :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1982 on: April 02, 2020, 11:27:10 AM »
Siskel and Ebert to ya ErHaO

It's not quite THAT simple, but the point is the less people move, the less the virus spreads.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1983 on: April 02, 2020, 11:41:02 AM »
Thanks for the reactions last page, thankfully I am pretty much fever free now! And my lungs feel pretty good too. But all in all it took me two weeks, though initially I thought I just had a massive headache due to whatever.

SO glad you are feeling better, dude.  That's great!

I do hope it was corona, because that would mean I am safe now and able to help during the crisis.

Even if it was confirmed to be, you should still be VERY careful and not drop your guard.  I'm not a doctor, so I may be a bit off on this, but as I understand it, with ANY cold (not just this one), just because you catch it and recover does not mean you have complete immunity.  It only means you have developed some level of immunity, and it is still possible to catch the same strain, and develop symptoms and/or be a carrier, again.  So PLEASE play it safe!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1984 on: April 02, 2020, 12:05:05 PM »
Seriously....what Bosk said. 

I believe I've seen some reports that there is more than one strain of this, and doctors are not yet positive that you can't get it twice.  There are reports of people getting it twice that are still under investigation.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1985 on: April 02, 2020, 12:18:16 PM »
Another update on people you don't know:

Our guitarist David is out of the ICU and breathing much better now.  His wife is still in.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1986 on: April 02, 2020, 12:28:42 PM »

Our guitarist David is out of the ICU and breathing much better now.  His wife is still in.

That's awesome.   I wish everyone a full and speedy recovery. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1987 on: April 02, 2020, 12:56:34 PM »
Was very surprised, on April 1st my company issued their official policy of giving two weeks extra emergency paid sick leave to anyone diagnosed with coronavirus or told to quarantine due to immediate exposure. And of course the immediate result was our stock tanking ~15%.

My question is what the hell they are going to do if one of us does get it an potentially exposes others.

I run two facilities, and beside myself there are two administrators (who can't do many crucial things) and four other funeral directors. If all the funeral directors get asked to stay home or work from home we literally cannot operate. Hopefully I don't have to see what happens, but I often worry about it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1988 on: April 02, 2020, 01:02:58 PM »

But are the singers okay?

(Just a little levity; I'm glad things are looking up for your freind; here's hoping his wife follows suit.)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1989 on: April 02, 2020, 01:46:34 PM »
@RJ

It gets put on a debit card via Bank of America. The card should arrive via mail within a week of the first payment being released.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:14:08 PM by JayOctavarium »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1990 on: April 02, 2020, 01:59:15 PM »
This Hobby Lobby guy really needs to grow a brain. Tired of him defying orders in favor of 'god's will'.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/04/hobby-lobby-keeps-disobeying-state-stay-at-home-orders-arts-and-crafts.html

Several states are having to waste time fighting this company to stay closed when they could be focusing on other things.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1991 on: April 02, 2020, 02:39:48 PM »
This Hobby Lobby guy really needs to grow a brain. Tired of him defying orders in favor of 'god's will'.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/04/hobby-lobby-keeps-disobeying-state-stay-at-home-orders-arts-and-crafts.html

Several states are having to waste time fighting this company to stay closed when they could be focusing on other things.

Although I certainly agree that Hobby Lobby is being very careless and I whole heartedly condemn that sort of business practice, I also disagree with the assumption the article made that they are doing this because of their interpretation of the will of God.

Nowhere in the article does Hobby Lobby specifically state they are doing this out of some religious mission.  That is a cherry picked quote that Slate used at the end of the article.  It sounds to me that Hobby Lobby was just trying to comunicate comfort to it's employees during a difficult time.  I am not a fan of agenda driven journalism.

And, ProfessorPeart, I also want you to know that I'm not arguing with you, I'm arguing with how the article is written.  What Hobby Lobby is doing makes me angry as well.

"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1992 on: April 02, 2020, 03:07:26 PM »

Although I certainly agree that Hobby Lobby is being very careless and I whole heartedly condemn that sort of business practice, I also disagree with the assumption the article made that they are doing this because of their interpretation of the will of God.

Nowhere in the article does Hobby Lobby specifically state they are doing this out of some religious mission.  That is a cherry picked quote that Slate used at the end of the article.  It sounds to me that Hobby Lobby was just trying to comunicate comfort to it's employees during a difficult time.  I am not a fan of agenda driven journalism.

And, ProfessorPeart, I also want you to know that I'm not arguing with you, I'm arguing with how the article is written.  What Hobby Lobby is doing makes me angry as well.

I did not see that assumption or claim made in the article.  The article does not suggest the quote is the motivation for the actions.  That link is an assumption made by the reader, not the writer.

EDIT: And I think it is stupid what he is doing regardless of the reasons.  But history shows the reasons probably have some religious component IMO.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 03:20:32 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1993 on: April 02, 2020, 03:10:18 PM »

But are the singers okay?

(Just a little levity; I'm glad things are looking up for your freind; here's hoping his wife follows suit.)

A bunch of emails have gone around, and neither of the singers have said anything recently.  So your question didn't actually strike me as out of place.  Oddly spot on, actually.  I haven't from either of them in a while.

The girls both joined the band relatively recently, and have only played a couple of "partial gigs" (one set each) with us, whereas the rest of us have been playing together 3-5 years or more.  So the rest of us are a lot closer, I guess, and with literally everything on hold for now, everyone has other stuff to think about.  But I am a bit worried about one of them, who has a variety of other medical issues.  The other doesn't communicate much anyway.  So it's not really odd, pretty much in character actually.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1994 on: April 02, 2020, 03:41:32 PM »
@RJ

It gets out on a debit card via Bank of America. The card should arrive via mail within a week of the first payment being released.

Thanks for the follow up brother, I figured it out on my own eventually. I'm just old and slow. :lol

You guys please take care man. :heart