Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 435018 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1890 on: March 31, 2020, 10:49:08 AM »
I live in a smaller town called Sequim on the north Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. One day before the non-essential job restrictions when into effect, I was working in a rural area pruning fruit trees.  I was up on a ladder and this guy driving by on the road stopped and rolled down his window and started asking me way too many questions.  He asked me if I was working, I said it doesn't feel like work to me, it's a nice sunny day. Then he said,  do you know that tree pruning and landscaping are considered non essential jobs. I told him that the Governor said that this doesn't go into effect until the next day. Then the guy started asking me personal questions like do you live here at this place, if not, where do you live?  Then he asked, do you have a business license or a company name? 
 By then I could tell this guy was on a mission and I wasn't giving him any information. So I politely asked him, so who's clock are you on??  He got mad and said "I'm turning you in, and drove off.  I know he was offended because he thought the mandate was allready in effect, and deep down inside I can appreciate his concern (people are scared). 
 However, I didn't have any close contact with anybody that day. I showed up to do my job and I was outside up in a fruit tree pruning nowhere near any viruses or people. I do take this whole thing seriously, but people like that are busy-bodies and I didn't owe him any explaination. I had to finish a harmless job so I can pay bills.
 I guess it's ok for 65 year old people to work around hundreds of people at grocery stores, but not ok to work in a rural area pruning fruit trees by yourself away from people all together. Good grief!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1891 on: March 31, 2020, 10:52:10 AM »
Our facility has moved to level 1. Many patients and employees are positive.
Some have died. I just witnessed a code blue on a Covid patient. Not sure if
they were saved. Tensions and fear are high, morale is low. Nurses have quit
in large numbers. I gave my wife an out to isolate from me until this is over
but she said she is staying with me. Crazy, surreal times.

Speaking of your wife, has your at home routine changed much? I'm not in health care, but when I get home, I'm met with a cloud of disinfectant spray. I take all my clothes off as soon as I get in the house and jump in a hot shower. Then my work clothes and towel get washed in hot water.

I'm not going to lie; this is a stress-inducing situation.   It's not all fun and board games at the Stadler household.  Nothing to panic about, nothing that will be permanent, but it's a compact, sealed vessel with a turbulent brew of emotions, and that's not easy for all people.

Yeah, there's been some turbulence off and on in the jingle.household too.  Over STUPID shit.  That's what happens when the stress volatility meter is going haywire.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1892 on: March 31, 2020, 10:56:19 AM »
People weren't meant to spend THIS much time together.

That's why men invented war. To get away from their families for a while.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline emtee

« Reply #1893 on: March 31, 2020, 10:58:06 AM »
Chris Cuomo is positive.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #1894 on: March 31, 2020, 11:00:45 AM »
So we had a fun stressor on Saturday...one of our cats started off the day lethargic, and by mid-afternoon had developed a very noticeable fever.  Our normal vet was closed.  The emergency vet was closed!!  Eventually found one that we had used a few years ago when we lived in a different town.  It was a bizarre experience, had to bring her up to the door, set her down and step back, then the vet tech could get her.  All conversations about history and what was going on, and the assessment were all over the phone while I was sitting in the parking lot. She had a 105.7degF fever, and it turned out her neutrophils were way down (so, she'd been fighting a massive infection, for a while).  We got her home, but her fever started to come back and her breathing was shallow and fast, and the vet was closing soon...we were contemplating having to take her to a 24 hour vet that we knew was open, but which was dead-center in NJ's hotspot (Bergen county).  Fortunately she equilibrated and is back to her old, healthy self, but jesus christ that was a stressful few hours.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1895 on: March 31, 2020, 11:11:35 AM »
Forgot to thank Harmony for that post.  Very solid and well founded advice.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1896 on: March 31, 2020, 11:23:03 AM »
I live in a smaller town called Sequim on the north Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. One day before the non-essential job restrictions when into effect, I was working in a rural area pruning fruit trees.  I was up on a ladder and this guy driving by on the road stopped and rolled down his window and started asking me way too many questions.  He asked me if I was working, I said it doesn't feel like work to me, it's a nice sunny day. Then he said,  do you know that tree pruning and landscaping are considered non essential jobs. I told him that the Governor said that this doesn't go into effect until the next day. Then the guy started asking me personal questions like do you live here at this place, if not, where do you live?  Then he asked, do you have a business license or a company name? 
 By then I could tell this guy was on a mission and I wasn't giving him any information. So I politely asked him, so who's clock are you on??  He got mad and said "I'm turning you in, and drove off.  I know he was offended because he thought the mandate was allready in effect, and deep down inside I can appreciate his concern (people are scared). 
 However, I didn't have any close contact with anybody that day. I showed up to do my job and I was outside up in a fruit tree pruning nowhere near any viruses or people. I do take this whole thing seriously, but people like that are busy-bodies and I didn't owe him any explaination. I had to finish a harmless job so I can pay bills.
 I guess it's ok for 65 year old people to work around hundreds of people at grocery stores, but not ok to work in a rural area pruning fruit trees by yourself away from people all together. Good grief!
The city I'm in literally sent out a statement via email and Facebook telling people to mind their own business and stop calling 911 because people are leaving their homes.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1897 on: March 31, 2020, 11:34:24 AM »
The city I'm in literally sent out a statement via email and Facebook telling people to mind their own business and stop calling 911 because people are leaving their homes.

Maybe it's gallows humor, but that made me laugh out loud.   

(I was watching Ridiculousness over the weekend, and they had a segment that was supposed to be funny wisdom from old people, and this young - to me, so, 20-ish - woman had her camera and her grandmother was behind her in a rocking chair.   The girl asked "Gramma, what's the secret to a long life?" and Gram said "Mind your own goddamn business!"   I think it was meant to be something else in context, but it's not far off if you're asking me.)

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1898 on: March 31, 2020, 11:34:58 AM »

Yeah, what ever happened to the mantra "leave well-enough alone"  I'm a liberty guy, this kind of thing makes my blood boil.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1899 on: March 31, 2020, 11:41:50 AM »
I live in a smaller town called Sequim...

No way, I knew you lived in the PNW somewhere, just didn't know where.

WA has set up a website where you can report "violators," businesses who are open who shouldn't be, and some cities have sites where you can report people who are gathering it large groups.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1900 on: March 31, 2020, 11:50:17 AM »
Seeing reports that Pritzker is going to extend Illinois' stay at home order until 4/30 today. Not unexpected, but bad since my wife cannot work.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #1901 on: March 31, 2020, 12:14:58 PM »
So we had a fun stressor on Saturday...one of our cats started off the day lethargic, and by mid-afternoon had developed a very noticeable fever.  Our normal vet was closed.  The emergency vet was closed!!  Eventually found one that we had used a few years ago when we lived in a different town.  It was a bizarre experience, had to bring her up to the door, set her down and step back, then the vet tech could get her.  All conversations about history and what was going on, and the assessment were all over the phone while I was sitting in the parking lot. She had a 105.7degF fever, and it turned out her neutrophils were way down (so, she'd been fighting a massive infection, for a while).  We got her home, but her fever started to come back and her breathing was shallow and fast, and the vet was closing soon...we were contemplating having to take her to a 24 hour vet that we knew was open, but which was dead-center in NJ's hotspot (Bergen county).  Fortunately she equilibrated and is back to her old, healthy self, but jesus christ that was a stressful few hours.
We had a vet situation on Friday. Our dog was only half-opening her right eye for a day or two. I assumed it was a scratch but made the appointment just to be sure.
They informed me to call when I was parked out front, which I did. The vet tech came out within a few minutes and took her right out of the car, within ten minutes, the vet called me, informed me it was indeed a scratch, and explained the meds and doses. A few minutes later, the receptionist called me for my payment info, then the tech came out with my pup and the meds. I never left the driver's seat.
It was very efficient, things should be like this always!

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1902 on: March 31, 2020, 01:01:54 PM »
I had the same situation with my cat this past weekend, she needed her steroid shot. I pulled up, they came and picked her up, gave her the shot and charged my card. ezpz.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1903 on: March 31, 2020, 01:48:31 PM »
I feel horrible for the pet owners who have to help their pet cross the rainbow bridge.  I hope some vets are making exceptions, because that would be a terrible thing to have to 'turn over' to the vet and their staff alone.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1904 on: March 31, 2020, 02:02:30 PM »
A small bit more stress in the 42434224 household, but I think that is to be expected.  But on the whole, it is pretty reasonable.  Wife is a teacher, and both her and my two daughters (just turned 11 & 14) are home.  I normally work from home 75% of the time...now its 100%, so really not a big deal for me.  We are lucky to have a very large covered, and screened in, patio area with our outdoor pool area by a lake.  Covered area is about 15 ft X 50 ft with an 8 person dining table, sectional couch with 60" TV and surround system, outdoor shower, and fire pit, etc.  Basically an outdoor house....which is great when 4 people (2 adults and 2 kids) are all on computers doing work and classwork.  Plus I have an upstairs office, so we all have our space to get our stuff done during the day.  It is in the high 70's to low 80's and sunny, so we take breaks and relax in the pool.
We are very lucky to have the weather and outdoor space to live in during isolation.  If we all had to be stuck in a small house during this, the stress level would be WAY higher.  Doing a lot of take-out to support our local restaurants, so we will all be fat as hell when all is said and done.  We are trying to stay as isolated as we reasonably can, especially due to my Mom living nearby, with her age and some health issues, we are keeping our distance.

I hope everyone in DTF weathers this storm and comes out on the other end healthy.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1905 on: March 31, 2020, 02:03:53 PM »
Tomorrow is April Fool’s day. So prepare for social media posts about every celebrity testing positive and probably dying from covid.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1906 on: March 31, 2020, 02:45:13 PM »
Seeing reports that Pritzker is going to extend Illinois' stay at home order until 4/30 today. Not unexpected, but bad since my wife cannot work.

It's official and my wife isn't taking it well. She is bipolar and she is absolutely stir-crazy with this. As soon as the Governor announced it she said she is going for a drive and left. This is a real life change for her. She is a total social butterfly and I am a total shut-in who is mostly anti-social. I love it, she hates it.

Big plus I am taking out of all of this is it is forcing her to not spend too much and allowing me to save up some cash.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #1907 on: March 31, 2020, 02:51:25 PM »
I feel horrible for the pet owners who have to help their pet cross the rainbow bridge.  I hope some vets are making exceptions, because that would be a terrible thing to have to 'turn over' to the vet and their staff alone.

The read I get from my usual vet is that they'd allow this, and I could imagine they'd even spare a mask.  It would be a very extenuating circumstance.  And oddly, much safer than saying goodbye to a loved one in a hospital, as vets offices aren't going to be teeming with the virus.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1908 on: March 31, 2020, 02:56:43 PM »
Tomorrow is April Fool’s day. So prepare for social media posts about every celebrity testing positive and probably dying from covid.

And a new forum theme  :biggrin:

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1909 on: March 31, 2020, 02:59:01 PM »

I'd rather prepare for the only day where people question whatever bullshit they read on the internet, and wonder why they don't keep the same attitude the other 364 days of the year.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1910 on: March 31, 2020, 03:19:36 PM »
A previous employer of mine. A horrible situation all the way around.

https://www.businessinsider.com/florida-doesnt-want-holland-americas-stricken-zaandam-cruise-docking-2020-3

The Coast Guard will not yet permit the MS Zaandam, a Holland America cruise with at least two confirmed cases of COVID-19 onboard, and the MS Rotterdam, the ship sent to rescue its healthy passengers, to enter US waters.

Florida officials remain concerned that allowing Zaandam and Rotterdam passengers to disembark in Fort Lauderdale's seaport Port Everglades could worsen the spread of coronavirus in the area.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1911 on: March 31, 2020, 06:19:16 PM »
As of today, 26 confirmed cases in my county... only one up from yesterday, but this time, it's the first confirmed case in my own town.

Fuck.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1912 on: March 31, 2020, 06:24:12 PM »
Our facility has moved to level 1. Many patients and employees are positive.
Some have died. I just witnessed a code blue on a Covid patient. Not sure if
they were saved. Tensions and fear are high, morale is low. Nurses have quit
in large numbers. I gave my wife an out to isolate from me until this is over
but she said she is staying with me. Crazy, surreal times.

Speaking of your wife, has your at home routine changed much? I'm not in health care, but when I get home, I'm met with a cloud of disinfectant spray. I take all my clothes off as soon as I get in the house and jump in a hot shower. Then my work clothes and towel get washed in hot water.

You should at least get some shower sex for your trouble
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 06:32:35 PM by mike099 »
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1913 on: March 31, 2020, 06:30:53 PM »
So I have been ill for more than a week. A couple of days of (mild) fever and a massive headache, then about one and a half day getting better with barely any symptoms, and then suddenly significantly more ill than I initially was, with a dry cough. Thankfully at the time of writing I am finally better. I had to go to the doctor and they did test for a variety of infections (all negative). She told me that corona patients under her care followed a similar pattern (ill, almost better, then suddenly more ill, and some progressing into severe illness). But they only test hospitalizations here, so there is no way of knowing. I locked myself up and have followed the social distacing protocols prior, so thankfully the chance I spread something nasty is small.

Also regarding the state of The Netherlands now:
Despite initial signs showing our measurements are lowering the amount of new cases on a daily basis, the actual peak of corona patients in the hospitals is expected to be at the end of may (almost two months from now). On average, the patients at the ICU are there for 23 days (!!!). And offcourse with the long incubation time, initial mild disease, it potentially takes a while for patients to get to the point of hospitalization. Based on our data, it seems highly likely a lot of countries have not seen their peaks yet. Also, statistically, 80% of our ICU cases is overweight, so at least here there seems to be a potential connection in that regard.

Honestly the fact that they expect the peak to be so far ahead is just depressing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1914 on: March 31, 2020, 06:36:12 PM »
ErHaO, get well soon.  Stay safe. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1915 on: March 31, 2020, 06:54:54 PM »
ErHaO, get well soon.  Stay safe.

Amen, brother!

Hah! My wife won't even kiss me until I get out. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1916 on: March 31, 2020, 10:19:10 PM »
That would be absolutely heart breaking. I couldn't even imagine it.

ErHaO....  Hang in there Brother, we will keep you in our prayers.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1917 on: April 01, 2020, 01:34:50 AM »
ErHaO, I had the exact same symptoms, only a lot less 'extreme', so to speak. I don't ever really get ill from a regular cold, so I didn't really have any problems at all. My girlfriend's immune system is not as good and she was more ill. She also had the shortness of breath and loss of taste and smell; symptoms that are supposedly typical of this virus. Without being tested, she's pretty sure she's had the coronavirus, which would basically mean that I've had it as well. I was feeling more tired than usual and had had a cold, nothing too serious, then after a few days of feeling better I suddenly got this extreme headache. There's no way to know for sure, though it would be quite good to know if I've had it and that it didn't affect me a lot.

---

Regarding the situation in the Netherlands; I get the feeling our healthcare system is very different from that of other European countries (mainly countries like Italy & Spain), where the goal is to heal basically everybody as soon as possible. Our healthcare system, or maybe our society, is more focused on quality of living, rather than stretching out a life when there's barely any chance for recovery. We're also not prone to place everybody who enters a hospital on the Intensive Care immediately. From what I gathered - and this may be wrong -  is that in Italy, elderly people who already have a lower chance at survival, are put on the Intensive Care beds, essentially filling up places that now can not be used for younger folk, who then die as well. The death toll actually goes up if you try your best to save people with little chance, by not having the resources to aid those with a higher chance to survive. Sounds pretty terrible to type stuff like that out, but in these situations, I think the health care's goal should not be about saving everybody, because that's impossible - it should be about healing as many people as possible and, harsh as it sounds, this includes not using all your resources on people who are going to die anyway.

^ I don't know if that came across in the right way and I truly do not mean to offend anyone with it. I am not a healthcare worker (teacher here), but I have many friends that are. The situation in our hospitals right now is not nice, but the way our healthcare is organised - like I said, quality of life before prolongation - has actually made the situation more managable here as far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 02:50:34 AM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1918 on: April 01, 2020, 01:47:00 AM »
Not offensive at all Elite; sadly the immense emergency of so many people sick at the same time drives the sanitary system to a collapse and forces doctors to make do with the resources they're left with, beside having to make those decisions that you outlined. This has always been the true danger of the virus, regardless of the high mortality rate or not. Too many people sick at the same time is never, ever a good thing.

Best wishes to pull through to the many people who in the latest pages discussed their situation!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1919 on: April 01, 2020, 04:47:06 AM »
Jumping in to wish all the best to everybody in here, especially those affected by the virus.

About Italy's death toll, it's quite complicated. Because of how our state system is organized, we're basically counting every person who's passed with Coronavirus, not just those who passed because of it. A lot of people who were already in hospitals, or other health facilities, and were already severely ill, got it there, and their condition worsened.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1920 on: April 01, 2020, 07:01:06 AM »

Hah! My wife won't even kiss me until I get out. :lol

:lol

Jumping in to wish all the best to everybody in here, especially those affected by the virus.

About Italy's death toll, it's quite complicated. Because of how our state system is organized, we're basically counting every person who's passed with Coronavirus, not just those who passed because of it. A lot of people who were already in hospitals, or other health facilities, and were already severely ill, got it there, and their condition worsened.

This question was brought up before. It's will be impossible to know how many people died because of the virus since so many were already ill.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Darrellos

« Reply #1921 on: April 01, 2020, 07:04:08 AM »
I don't you can even make that distinction at the moment, sadly. It's just unrealistinc to try to determine whether someone died "from" or "with" coronavirus in this situation. Not enough resources to do that.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1922 on: April 01, 2020, 07:46:27 AM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1923 on: April 01, 2020, 08:44:00 AM »
Well, the beer distributor my younger brother works for (I forgot his title, but he runs this area) is declaring bankruptcy on the 15th this month, so he will be out of a job.  Ugh.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1924 on: April 01, 2020, 08:49:31 AM »
Well said, nobody can wax eloquent like Samual L Jackson.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"