Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 434753 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1715 on: March 27, 2020, 07:29:40 AM »
So... Boris Johnson, UK prime minister, who had some days ago the idea of "let everyone get the virus, we'll develop herd immunity"..... tested positive for Covid-19.

Whopsie.

“I’m shaking hands continuously. I was at a hospital the other night where I think there were actually a few coronavirus patients and I shook hands with everybody, you’ll be pleased to know. I continue to shake hands." - Boris Johnson, 3rd March

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1716 on: March 27, 2020, 08:19:38 AM »
First major world leader.  Frankly, I'm shocked - I thought Trudeau or Trump would be first.  Looks like JT dodged catching it from his wife though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1717 on: March 27, 2020, 08:31:17 AM »
67 new cases in Finland today, which brings the total to 1025. This is the least new cases since last Friday, so the curve has an increasingly flattening trend. Seven people have died, almost all of them in the most affected region.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1718 on: March 27, 2020, 08:34:45 AM »
Today here in Sweden the government just passed a law against public gatherings of more than 50 people. Punishable by either a fine or up to 6 months in prison.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1719 on: March 27, 2020, 08:39:46 AM »
Today here in Sweden the government just passed a law against public gatherings of more than 50 people. Punishable by either a fine or up to 6 months in prison.

While I must admit I'm ignorant of the situation in Sweden, I don't understand these half mesaures. 50 people together is a disaster if only a handful of them have the virus. Ok, different situations, different geography, different population density, but I can't see why they think 100 people together is a pandemic recipe, and 50 people together can be safe.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1720 on: March 27, 2020, 09:57:45 AM »
Hospitals in NYC are using refrigerator trucks to store dead bodies now, morgues are full.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1721 on: March 27, 2020, 11:27:29 AM »
Hospitals in NYC are using refrigerator trucks to store dead bodies now, morgues are full.

Really?  I tried to look up some stats and could not quickly find a definitive answer, but when I tried to look up death rates in NY apart from the pandemic, I saw a range of between 200 and 500 deaths in NYC per day.  NY state has 519 total reported from coronavirus for the past couple of months.  How are the morgues suddenly overwhelmed?  That doesn't add up.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1722 on: March 27, 2020, 11:30:49 AM »
Till Lindemann is reportedly hospitalised in an ICU in Berlin.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1723 on: March 27, 2020, 11:42:02 AM »

Really?  I tried to look up some stats and could not quickly find a definitive answer, but when I tried to look up death rates in NY apart from the pandemic, I saw a range of between 200 and 500 deaths in NYC per day.  NY state has 519 total reported from coronavirus for the past couple of months.  How are the morgues suddenly overwhelmed?  That doesn't add up.

All those deaths from NY came within then past few weeks, 159 of those coming in the last 2 days.

But this is as a precaution, not because they are full yet.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/us/makeshift-morgues-coronavirus-new-york/index.html
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1724 on: March 27, 2020, 11:46:43 AM »

All those deaths from NY came within then past few weeks, 159 of those coming in the last 2 days.

But this is as a precaution, not because they are full yet.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/us/makeshift-morgues-coronavirus-new-york/index.html

My comment is based on what people on the ground are saying through friends and family so I don't have official source, but it's specifically this hospital that was mentioned to me:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/inside-coronavirus-ground-elmhurst-hospital-york-city/story?id=69804681

and we are talking about a surge here so that's why it's overwhelming, ontop of the normal rate of people dying. 

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1725 on: March 27, 2020, 12:25:51 PM »
Looks like we're finally at the finish line.

House passes $2.2T rescue package, rushes it to Trump

In addition to the stimulus checks, it appears that state unemployment claims are being boosted $600/week through July. For those of us in CA, that more than doubles the max $450/week.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1726 on: March 27, 2020, 12:54:45 PM »
Looks like we're finally at the finish line.

House passes $2.2T rescue package, rushes it to Trump

In addition to the stimulus checks, it appears that state unemployment claims are being boosted $600/week through July. For those of us in CA, that more than doubles the max $450/week.

Good deal, now let's see how long it takes CA to process the million unemployment claims it just recieved  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1727 on: March 27, 2020, 01:04:52 PM »
As a government worker who interacts with several state agencies, I can tell you firsthand that some, like Department of Public Health and EDD are swamped.  But stuff like this is generally being made a priority, so hopefully they can get people their money quickly.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1728 on: March 27, 2020, 01:10:07 PM »
Yup, I filed on the 16th and got my paperwork in the mail yesterday, and it appears I can do everything else online.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1729 on: March 27, 2020, 01:10:57 PM »
Yup, I filed on the 16th and got my paperwork in the mail yesterday, and it appears I can do everything else online.

Did you do your initial filing on line as well?

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1730 on: March 27, 2020, 01:30:06 PM »

Yup, you?

My brother had 4 different contractors to enter and missed the 10pm filing deadline by 4 minutes, so hopefully his packet will arrive in the mail today.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1731 on: March 27, 2020, 01:33:09 PM »

Yup, you?

My brother had 4 different contractors to enter and missed the 10pm filing deadline by 4 minutes, so hopefully his packet will arrive in the mail today.

Yeah, I did as well. I filed on Friday the 20th, so I can probably expect it late next week I'd imagine. Ten days is actually in the normal wheelhouse for response.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1732 on: March 27, 2020, 01:38:25 PM »
I'm very glad unemployment was raised.  I always thought it was too low to begin with.  People should be motivated to find a job as soon as possible, but making them unable to afford their bills and food while they do it turns an already stressful situation into a nightmare.

I'll be honest though, I'm not sure if the "check" everyone is going to get is necessary if you still have your job and haven't had your hours cut.  I fall into this category.  I just don't see a point with that part.

That being said, since I have 7 children, you can guess what my check will look like.

Just as an aside, there was an interesting article on Bloomberg about China's reported deaths.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-27/stacks-of-urns-in-wuhan-prompt-new-questions-of-virus-s-toll
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1733 on: March 27, 2020, 01:59:10 PM »
I'll be honest though, I'm not sure if the "check" everyone is going to get is necessary if you still have your job and haven't had your hours cut.  I fall into this category.  I just don't see a point with that part.

That being said, since I have 7 children, you can guess what my check will look like.

I haven't seen to much about it, but the articles I've read mention that stimulus checks are being described as "technically an advance on 2020 tax refunds," or something of that sort.  I'm thinking that we'll all likely owe the government the money back in a year when we file our 2020 taxes, assuming that's true. 

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1734 on: March 27, 2020, 02:03:13 PM »

I haven't seen to much about it, but the articles I've read mention that stimulus checks are being described as "technically an advance on 2020 tax refunds," or something of that sort.  I'm thinking that we'll all likely owe the government the money back in a year when we file our 2020 taxes, assuming that's true.

Question for those that knows more about taxes.  Would people that gets these checks get a tax form at the start of 2021 to document this stimulus to report for the 2020 taxes?  Just checking.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1735 on: March 27, 2020, 02:06:13 PM »
That's kind of BS if they try to take it back later, so to speak. Did they do the same with stimulus checks sent out after 9/11 and in '08?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1736 on: March 27, 2020, 02:07:21 PM »
That's kind of BS if they try to take it back later, so to speak. Did they do the same with stimulus checks sent out after 9/11 and in '08?

I honestly don't know about ANY of this, but it wouldn't totally shock me if the checks are being considered something like no interest loans. We get them now, pay them back next tax season, no interest paid on them. I'd not be a fan, but it wouldn't shock me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1737 on: March 27, 2020, 02:16:32 PM »
Take this as you will. I remain skeptical, but this sounds nice.

Any money you receive will not be considered taxable as the IRS considers it a credit, or money you’ve already paid that they’re giving back to you.

One bright spot for taxpayers: If your income was low in 2019, but high in 2020, your stimulus tax rebate won’t be clawed back when you file next year, according to Levine.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/stimulus-paychecks-are-on-their-way-but-kinks-are-expected-for-some.html
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1738 on: March 27, 2020, 02:32:36 PM »
Take this as you will. I remain skeptical, but this sounds nice.

Any money you receive will not be considered taxable as the IRS considers it a credit, or money you’ve already paid that they’re giving back to you.

One bright spot for taxpayers: If your income was low in 2019, but high in 2020, your stimulus tax rebate won’t be clawed back when you file next year, according to Levine.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/stimulus-paychecks-are-on-their-way-but-kinks-are-expected-for-some.html

From what I've read, this sounds more correct to me.  And I hope this is the case otherwise it would be a giant middle finger to the general citizen.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1739 on: March 27, 2020, 02:41:44 PM »
What's everyone going to do with their money?

I'm going to stick it in savings until all of this blows over just in case I lose my job somewhere along the line. Then it will likely go into my vacation fund.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 02:47:37 PM by lordxizor »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1740 on: March 27, 2020, 02:43:25 PM »
Hookers and blow. Obviously.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1741 on: March 27, 2020, 02:55:29 PM »

I'm in recovery, so twice the hookers.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1742 on: March 27, 2020, 02:57:15 PM »

I'm in recovery, so twice the hookers.

I'm married, so twice the blow.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #1743 on: March 27, 2020, 02:59:49 PM »
 :lol

I am planning on puting in a new heating and air system into my old rickity house, so it will go towards that.  And if there's some left over, Ill hold onto it for Christmas.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1744 on: March 27, 2020, 03:28:57 PM »
I just got my tax return, so between that and the stimulus check, I'm paying off my credit card, buying a new TV but not spending a lot, then putting the rest into savings for home shopping  :hat
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1745 on: March 27, 2020, 03:34:41 PM »
Savings. I honestly don’t have a need for it right now so rather save it in case things get worse in the coming weeks/months.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline H2

« Reply #1746 on: March 27, 2020, 03:40:31 PM »
Do you guys believe in 3-mo emergency savings, 6-mo, or 12-mo?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1747 on: March 27, 2020, 03:44:15 PM »

"Believe in it" or "have it"?  :) :) :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1748 on: March 27, 2020, 03:49:35 PM »
Anyone who does not is extremely foolish with their money.  Hopefully, a lot of people have a wakeup call about how to manage their finances from this if they cannot survive a few months off and the need comes for it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1749 on: March 27, 2020, 03:52:37 PM »
I think that's a bit extreme bosk. Not having 3 months of supplies makes someone extremely foolish with money? Ehh... Stocking up for a few weeks is a good idea when you can do it but 3 months is a bit unordinary imo. I'm sure plenty will be doing just that now, though.

Edit: my bad, the question is BELIEVING IN the ideas. Carry on.  :tup