Author Topic: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Ultimate Post-Roulette Mega Rundown!)  (Read 87182 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Impressions of an EP or 9......)
« Reply #1435 on: May 01, 2020, 10:38:19 AM »
Butterfly Effect is either ariich or Elite?
Yep, that's mine finished now.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1436 on: May 01, 2020, 10:40:29 AM »
Nah Cyril was right Callisto is mine
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1437 on: May 01, 2020, 10:49:39 AM »
results when

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1438 on: May 01, 2020, 10:52:17 AM »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1439 on: May 01, 2020, 10:53:33 AM »
results when
At work right now, but results should start trickling out this evening
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1440 on: May 01, 2020, 10:55:10 AM »
results when
Oh cool, I was actually joking around but that's awesome. :hat

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1441 on: May 01, 2020, 11:08:04 AM »
Oh wow, that’s a nice surprise.

Although I hope mine doesn’t come too soon :biggrin: (assuming you’re doing them from ‘worst’ to ‘best’)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1442 on: May 01, 2020, 01:20:40 PM »
Exxasens will be Nekov.

Correct.

results when

Great!
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1443 on: May 01, 2020, 01:22:42 PM »
I hope I wake up from my nap tonight to find Puppies eviscerating the fruits of my labor like a wild dog on LSD
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1444 on: May 01, 2020, 05:55:01 PM »
Oh wow, that’s a nice surprise.

Although I hope mine doesn’t come too soon :biggrin: (assuming you’re doing them from ‘worst’ to ‘best’)
I'll probably do them in an order of "not a snowballs chance in Hell of winning" to "I don't entirely hate this"  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1445 on: May 01, 2020, 06:36:38 PM »
oh yay I'm first, let me have it  :jamaritard:

• DTF.org Member
Sorry for taking over a year to finally review this and do a write up   :facepalm:  :corn

Jingle.boy
Reflections of a Corrupted Soul

Echoes – Epilogue (...is Where We Start)
Serious Black – I Seek No Other Life
Heaven Below – Nefarious Angels
Defecto – When Daylight Dies
Glass Mind – Crepusculum Vehementis
Poverty's No Crime – Spiral of Fear
Pyramaze – The Journey
Sixx:A.M. – Prayers for the Damned
Soul Secret – Regrets
Anthriel – Guardian
Echoes – Rude Awakening
Serious Black – As Daylight Breaks
Ethernity – Interlude
The Chronicles Project – When Darkness Falls
Anthriel –Light Divine
Anthriel – Scent of Dawn
Anthriel – Promised Land
The Chronicles Project – The Last Embrace
The Chronicles Project – Interlude I: The Confession
Absolute Priority – Dead Man Walking
Echoes – Prologue (Where We End...)

First Impression - Epic storytelling and fitting song choice, but perhaps longer than it needs to be.

This concept album is long and ambitious....and full of Power Metal, Prog Metal, and Heavy Metal. Having a somewhat narrow range of styles helps keep the album cohesive. I really liked your usage of the Interlude tracks throughout, it helped with the flow quite a bit (more on this in a bit) and essentially broke up the album in to distinct sections (not sure if that was intentional or not, but that's how it came across to me (going back and looking at your write up, yes this was intentional (reading, I need to learn that skill...))). I really like the idea of the Deus Ex concept, since I really like those games and the story you created actually works and was quite enjoyable, let's call it fan-fiction! Now, I think the best way to get my thoughts across on this is to go track by track, so let's do that...

Beginning with the Epilogue track works very well for me. I like the build up of adding more and more instruments until it explodes to life. This track is very dynamic for such a short intro track. At first the keyboards sounded a little too cheesy, but the more I listened to the album the more I liked it. Plus the rest of the instrumentation is great. This band Echoes knows how to play, that's for sure. This song flows in to I Seek No Other Life (when I say flow, I mean it could have flowed perfectly with a little editing magic, but I won't really count that against you), which is fairly straight forward Power Metal. It's still a solid song, if a tiny bit vanilla compared to a lot of the rest of the songs here. It does have Urban Breed, whose vocals I enjoy in Tad Morose and Trail of Murder. This flows really well in to the next song, Nefarious Angels. This is where the story really takes off, giving us some plot exposition. There are some technical problems that I have with this song, mostly in the production side. Which is a shame, because this song absolutely slays! The production isn't so bad that I can't overlook it though. I love the various twists and turns this song goes through. The choir vocals (keyboards?) work really well too. I've never heard of this band before, but now I think I need to get this album. I like the transition between this song and the next, When Daylight Dies. This song unfortunately kind of falls in to the Cloudscape/Evergrey snoozefest category. It does work for getting more of the story across, so + points there. Crepusculum Vehementis kind of works as an interlude/bridge to another section of the story/album. You kind of brought this out in your write up with it signifying the passing of several years. It's a fairly standard Prog Metal instrumental, that I find fairly enjoyable, with enough interesting happening that it doesn't lose my interest. There's a lot of cool basslines and riffs going on here. Although the end goes in to full Dream Theater rip off mode :lol. Spiral of Fear being next and almost feels a centerpiece for the whole album. This song has a great progression and great sound. It almost sounds like Falling Into Infinity era production with Awake/A Change of Seasons creativity. Long story short, I like this song. I like how it fits in the story. The Journey, oh my do I hate the way that opening riffs sounds. That buzzy sound, it's awful. The rest of the song is more tolerable, but not great. I really didn't like Pyramaze's latest album and this song is not making me want to go back and listen to their other albums. I actually liked Prayers for the Damned a lot more than I thought I would at least the music and the lyrics are very fitting for the story. The vocals aren't as good, at least to my ears. TASTES! Regrets by Soul Secret is next. This is a band I'm somewhat familiar with. I loved their Closer to Daylight album and then my soul was utterly crushed at how bad Babel was, but I digress. This song probably works better within the album it's on. The vocals don't really work for me here and the pacing/timing/harmonies are all very awkward sounding :dunno: There's another sort of rough transition here to Guardian, but nevermind that. I love the way this song starts. However, this band, Anthriel, butts up very close to Cloudscape territory. The band in actuality is actually quite listenable and stays on the correct side of the boring|not-boring scale, if just barely. This is what I imagine Cloudscape could sound if they actually had good songwriting skills. I do like this song as the beginning of the final chapter of the story. And boy that was an inspired transition to the next song Rude Awakening. It may be in a different key, but it almost sounds intentional. I'm glad you included another Echoes song, this time with vocals, it makes it easier to truly evaluate the band. I think I really need to check out this band. They have a fairly unique sound for a Prog Metal band. The transition to As Daylight Breaks could be amazing with a little editing. This song is much better than the other Serious Black song on here. Maybe because I'm a sucker for well executed power ballads or maybe it's just a good song (it's both). This song flows right into the Interlude by Ethernity which is good for more story exposition with some spoken dialogue. When Darkness Falls is a fairly bombastic Power Metal tune with lots of keyboards and multiple vocalists. Everything here is good, if not great. Although I could see myself getting tired of an entire album like this, but it works well here. I feel I'm just moving away from music like this more and more. This is more of a me problem than this particular style of music's problem.

The rest of this album I feel I need to take as a whole. From Light Divine through Prologue (Where We End...), this is where I feel the story is the strongest, not that it wasn't strong overall, but one is bound to enjoy one section of any given medium of entertainment more than other parts. It's the nature of the beast. I absolutely love the choice of songs for the ending of this album. The lyrics/spoken word dialogue really paint a vivid picture of what's happening in the story. Plus the music is all really top notch from here on out too. This section is among the most inspired of all the roulette EP's and Concept Albums I've received. So hats off to you for that. There are so many cool little sections throughout this part of the album. The awesome riffing in Promised Land. The atmosphere and brilliant use of spoken word dialogue of the 2 Chronicles Project songs and the epic "false ending" with Dead Man Walking. I could go on and on about awesome musical bits here.

The flow here is really good, despite not doing any editing. There are a few awkward cuts between songs, but that's to be expected when using different artists throughout. Sure editing would have made it flow better, but it still seems like you took your time trying to find a sequence that would work best. The story here also helps a ton with flow. It's well thought out and well executed. Every song here has a purpose. Sure, the album could have been shortened a bit, but the more I think about it, that might have been to its detriment.

Overall I really enjoyed this album. There were a few songs I didn't truly enjoy musically, but lyrically they were there for a reason.
You get a score of 86 Schrute Bucks!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
I guess now we wait a year for Jingle to respond to my write up  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
jingle's bedtime is like 5 PM he'll see it in the morning

• DTF.org Member
Fair point
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
This is from your last roulette, right? :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
am I being rick-rolled? :omg:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin
Epic trolling

• DTF.org Member
I aim to please :vomitard:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

• DTF.org Member
Sorry for the delays. Between working all day yesterday and then I've been working on getting my new business started I've had no time to finish the write ups. The amount of paperwork and hoops you have to jump through to get business licenses and EIN's and business bank accounts and bookkeeping set up is ridiculous....not to mention all the tax BS...

I'll have some more results up today though.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Ooh I had no idea you were setting up your own business. That's awesome, dude, what is it?  :corn

• DTF.org Member
Ooh I had no idea you were setting up your own business. That's awesome, dude, what is it?  :corn
Custom computer design and building, along with PC repair. For now it's just going to be a side business, but if it takes off (which would be nice) I'll be quitting my day job.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (The Hero's Path)
« Reply #1458 on: May 03, 2020, 07:44:51 PM »
Nekov

The Hero's Path

Meniscus – Infant
Leech – Silent State Optimizer
Leech – The Man With the Hammer
Meniscus – Cursed
Exxassens – Oniria's Interlude
Lights and Motion – Pandora
Lights and Motion – Antlers

First Impression - This is great to space out to

An EP with a simple story and fairly straightforward music. Starting things off with Meniscus, a band I'm sort of familiar with, but only really their Absence of I album. The song Infant is, while instrumental (like the rest of the EP), works well to describe the growing up of our protagonist. The music starts off really soft and gentle and slowly ramps up in very typical Post-Rock style. That isn't to say it's not interesting or good. It is. Particularly the build up to that mini climax at around the 5:20 mark. The whole song has a very Evpatoria Report to it. One issue I have is there might be a little to much repetition in some parts, where they drag out a particular section too long. At least a minute could have been shaved off of this song and it would have been better for it. The flow in to the next song, Silent State Optimizer, is perfect. This is a beautiful song with a bit more laid back atmosphere than the first track. This one I'm assuming from your story is dealing with our Hero's struggles as he grows and learns. There are a lot of very nice things going on here, but like track 1 there might be a little too much padding to some sections. Again about a minute could be shaved off here. This one has a very similar mini climax like Infant and almost in the same spot time-wise. It's a typical feel good Post-Rock song. Flowing into the next song is again perfect (it better be since they are connecting tracks on the same album). This is the part of the story where our Hero meets his antagonist (the anti-hero, if you will) The Man with the Hammer. This song is fairly similar to the previous Leech song, except it seems to have a more traditional approach to guitar tone and progression. The heavier parts of this song work pretty well for conveying a struggle between the hero and his enemy. Going into the next song, Cursed, the transition is a little bit rougher. Not bad, but a slight amount of editing would have made it better. No matter. We are back to more Meniscus. This song is shorter than all that preceded it and has only 1 major buildup and climax. The shorter time allows the song to not feel overlong. However the progression is less interesting than the other songs, so it's score isn't much better. Again a slightly rough transition in to the next track which is a little interlude. You had mentioned putting it there to help with the flow into the next song, unfortunately I don't think it would have mattered either way, in fact I think I would have preferred the interlude not be there. Anyway, the next full song is Pandora. The band is Lights & Motion. I've never heard of this band before, but I do like this style of uplifting/happy post-rock. I like the positioning of this song within the EP along with the final song, Antlers. It's the Hero's journey home after defeating The Man with the Hammer and his subsequent happily-ever-after. It's so sweet it's sickening :neverusethis: This last song is a little bit predictable though, with generic progressions, but at least it's pleasing to my ears, if not challenging.

Song quality overall is good, if not great. Nothing truly stood out as amazing or outright terrible. (7.5/10)

The story is pretty basic and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't expecting a little more storywise, but that's OK (and by the way, this wasn't the only all-instrumental EP I received). This music feels more like a soundtrack to a movie and I believe you said as much in the PM you sent me. Still, the story is fairly generic, and with no lyrics you could really tie any story in to this, but I digress. (6/10)

The overall flow of the EP was great with the exception of transitions between Cursed-Oniria's Interlude-Pandora. Other than that, all the songs were within the same genre, so nothing glaringly stood out, and at the same time, nothing stood out......if you catch my meaning. (3/5)

Overall I found I enjoyed this, but didn't love it. Instrumental music has a tendency to make me fall asleep and Post-Rock almost always ends up being the worst offender. However it's great for me to just throw on while doing stuff around my house or chilling after a long day at work.

Overall Score - (16.5/25)
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1459 on: May 03, 2020, 08:56:51 PM »
Are there links to these playlists? I wouldn't mind checking Nekov's out tomorrow at work :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1460 on: May 03, 2020, 09:05:21 PM »
man if i knew story was gonna be such a huge factor i could've just literally sent you the EP i sent katt :neverusethis:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1461 on: May 03, 2020, 09:14:18 PM »
You should have. It's really good.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1462 on: May 03, 2020, 09:24:30 PM »
Are there links to these playlists? I wouldn't mind checking Nekov's out tomorrow at work :)
Whoopsie, I meant to put the link with the write up

Here is the playlist - https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2OLBtbO1mmW2qlwcxBQpat?si=CO36Esc9SXKbbjQPkRzMog
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1463 on: May 03, 2020, 09:29:49 PM »
Thanks Pup (and Nekov)!  :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1464 on: May 03, 2020, 11:57:36 PM »
Oo cool, I'll listen to your EP Nekov! Judging by the hangman that one and romdrums' were the ones I was most excited to hear

I seriously doubt I have a shot at winning given that the story score is such a big part, but here's my playlist https://open.spotify.com/playlist/11hYqTijYQYCxL4YdgGX4d?si=veX9BQZiQoi-woqOQGQLAg
It's... somber as fuck

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1465 on: May 04, 2020, 12:00:11 AM »
Oo cool, I'll listen to your EP Nekov! Judging by the hangman that one and romdrums' were the ones I was most excited to hear

I seriously doubt I have a shot at winning given that the story score is such a big part, but here's my playlist https://open.spotify.com/playlist/11hYqTijYQYCxL4YdgGX4d?si=veX9BQZiQoi-woqOQGQLAg
It's... somber as fuck
You are starting 4 points ahead though, so you surely start out as favourite on that basis.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1466 on: May 04, 2020, 12:14:28 AM »
Oh, 4 whole points, damn. :lol let's see if I'm still able to wreck that lead, then. By the way I think I can send your stuff this morning already, I'm close to finishing up the playlist!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1467 on: May 04, 2020, 04:52:35 AM »
Well, I guess this means I won't be winning this thing  :lol
I knew the storytelling wasn't the best but I honestly didn't have time to put anything better together so I just went with something more generic.
Anyways, it will be nice to listen to what others have sent you and I hope you guys like what I sent  :smiley:

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1468 on: May 05, 2020, 02:16:04 PM »
 :corn
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I be am boner inducing.