Author Topic: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Ultimate Post-Roulette Mega Rundown!)  (Read 88943 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Round 9 Results!! Hurray!)
« Reply #1225 on: April 20, 2020, 04:58:29 AM »
Wow, talk about a last minute comeback! I was sure I'd be out so I didn't even check the rules for the EP. I'll send something in the next couple of days.  :laugh:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1226 on: April 20, 2020, 04:59:59 AM »
Yayyy EP time you'll get mine sometime today
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1227 on: April 20, 2020, 07:59:22 AM »
TAC

Greg Lake - Nuclear Attack

Theme - Much of Grace Under Pressure was about nuclear war.

That crunchy guitar riff at the beginning is pretty cool. The guitar tone reminds me a bit of Counterparts era Alex Lifeson mixed with a bit of Brothers In Arms era Dire Straits. There's some great guitar leads here and well structured drums. Nothing particularly fancy, but all very fitting for the song. The weakest part of the song might be Greg Lake's vocals. They aren't bad, but they aren't quite as enjoyable as the rest of the song. Even the Europe-esque keyboards are enjoyable.

8.5/10

I'm going to check this out for this reason alone.  I LOVE Greg Lake's voice; he's one of my favorite singers of all time, and I can count on zero fingers the number of tunes where his vocal is the weakest part of the tune (or, where the song isn't better at least in part BECAUSE of his vocal).   I'm not well-versed in his solo catalogue (read: I know none of it) for various reasons, but I need to dig in, it seems.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1228 on: April 20, 2020, 08:00:12 AM »
Thanks for hosting Puppies!  The banned list was a struggle but I loved the Rush theme.  It was a lot of fun trying to match songs to different Rush albums.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1229 on: April 20, 2020, 08:02:19 AM »
Thanks, Puppies!  This was fun as beans.  I've long ago resigned myself to being a bit out of step with the musical tastes of most on this forum, so that isn't an issue, but the themes were fun and really made me think.   And you did a great job of running this!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1230 on: April 20, 2020, 08:13:30 AM »
TAC

That crunchy guitar riff at the beginning is pretty cool. The guitar tone reminds me a bit of Counterparts era Alex Lifeson mixed with a bit of Brothers In Arms era Dire Straits. There's some great guitar leads here and well structured drums. Nothing particularly fancy, but all very fitting for the song. The weakest part of the song might be Greg Lake's vocals. They aren't bad, but they aren't quite as enjoyable as the rest of the song. Even the Europe-esque keyboards are enjoyable.

8.5/10

I'm going to check this out for this reason alone.  I LOVE Greg Lake's voice; he's one of my favorite singers of all time, and I can count on zero fingers the number of tunes where his vocal is the weakest part of the tune (or, where the song isn't better at least in part BECAUSE of his vocal).   I'm not well-versed in his solo catalogue (read: I know none of it) for various reasons, but I need to dig in, it seems.

Stadler, you’ve never heard this??  I remember it playing on the radio back in the day. It’s basically how I first heard of Gary Moore. Gary sings the version on his Corridors Of Power album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1231 on: April 20, 2020, 08:31:33 AM »
Nope, never have.  I'm going to refill my coffee and give both versions a spin right now.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1232 on: April 20, 2020, 09:53:03 AM »
Wooo, never thought I'd ever lead in a Rush roulette let alone for like half of the roulette :lol let me just blow it in the EP round. I have a batch of high quality and pretty matching songs ready and have to just select which to take and what order. I don't know how much you want us to write in order to lay down a proper 'concept' for the EP, just enough to get the message across I guess? I'm not a very good / creative writer, so you'll probably have to settle for something simple.

Some of you sent songs that are very dear to you, but I am just not connecting with on the same level.
I was really scared and sure this was about We Lost The Sea, and judging from your comments it may just have been until the very last listen.. but I'm glad it clicked, that really may be my favourite song that I have sent in this entire roulette and it's indeed very dear to me. But of course I don't expect it to be on the same level for everyone. Definitely dive into that album, it does have some very long songs but if you can stick with it it's a super impressive emotional journey, truly one of the few post-rock albums I think will be remembered for decades after the genre has probably died out to some degree. :lol

people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1233 on: April 20, 2020, 10:19:43 AM »
Nope, never have.  I'm going to refill my coffee and give both versions a spin right now.

Good. Make sure you play the Jack Bruce sung End Of The World also from Corridors. It begins with a wicked guitar intro.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: April 20, 2020, 10:40:42 AM »

Good. Make sure you play the Jack Bruce sung End Of The World also from Corridors. It begins with a wicked guitar intro.

Holy crap, you're not kidding.   That intro is insane.

I like Nuclear Attack; I kind of wish Greg Lake sang on the Moore arrangement.  The Moore version rocks harder, but needs Lake's vocal; Lake's version is a little more... dated, shall we say.

Gary Moore is maddening, though.  I listened to End Of The World first, LOVED it, then listened to Nuclear Attack and thought, "I can get past these vocals; this guitar playing is so good".  Then I heard "Kidnapped" and was like... hmm.   But his backing bands RULE.  Ian Paice, Don Airey, Neil Murray; it's like a who's who of Deep Purple/Whitesnake/Rainbow/Sabbath history.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1235 on: April 20, 2020, 10:53:10 AM »
AND SENT.

I've never put so much work into an EP. Not that I've made it far enough to even send many EPs or even a concept EP, but I wrote a document with the story and my comments thrown in and a document where I wrote out every lyric line by line and hopefully made it look aesthetically pleasing. I'm very proud of it, even if I'm the only one who digs it at all. I told Pup to be brutally honest because I fully expect him to hate it, but I hope he at least gives it *one* single listen with an open mind. I desperately tried to pick material that would be at least instrumentally or rhythmically interesting as well to Pup, but I could totally whiff that.

I really want to take a roulette break when this (and Indi's (and home's)) is over, putting this together tapped me out. I spent the entire freaking weekend playing it over and over in order to make sure I had it 100% on lock.

tear me a new one pupdaddy
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1236 on: April 20, 2020, 11:01:08 AM »
I can't say I put nearly that much time into the write-ups and composition, but I have spent a lot of time selecting the songs out of the bands I was considering and eventually brought it down to 4 bands that worked exceptionally well together compared to the other ones. I was lucky enough that I had songs to pick from these bands that could make for a good flow and also end on a proper ending, while all carrying over the same moods so the story would hold up.

But I won't cheer too early, it has happened more than once in this roulette that I get my bands rejected and added to the banned list. :lol
Anyway, I guess you will have an ocean of bands to dive into after this Pup, but if you'd like to have some leftovers from me I still have quite some bands I think you may like (for convenience I could put them on a playlist with 1 track each so it takes less time, rather than albums?)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1237 on: April 20, 2020, 12:04:06 PM »
I have all the tracks ready for my EP. I need to edit the stuff together and then type out the story / commentary. I have to work tomorrow and then Wednesday my spring break starts, so I hope I can give you the final thing Thursday morning at the latest (that’s Wednesday evening for you, Puppies). Is that ok with you?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: April 20, 2020, 12:35:38 PM »
I should get bonus points for being prepared.

:neverusethis:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1239 on: April 20, 2020, 12:37:59 PM »
Since the odds of me not making the EP round were probably higher than me making it, I think I'm quite prepared having the songs ready. I just need to edit the thing and make sure that it's actually good (as in, listen to it for a bit).
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1240 on: April 20, 2020, 12:40:04 PM »
i prepared a little but was fully expecting the bad scores here so i didn't prepare too much either

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1241 on: April 20, 2020, 12:40:21 PM »
I'm fine with it. I knew some of you were right on the edge of making it to the final round, so I'm fine giving everyone until Friday to get their EPs to me.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1242 on: April 20, 2020, 12:41:21 PM »
Guys I was just joking, wasn't trying to say nobody else was prepared, I just fired mine off ASAP :lol wouldn't expect someone to make an EP if they feared they weren't gonna make it

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1243 on: April 20, 2020, 01:42:46 PM »
Guys I was just joking, wasn't trying to say nobody else was prepared, I just fired mine off ASAP :lol wouldn't expect someone to make an EP if they feared they weren't gonna make it

Nice way to make us look bad you jerk!
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1244 on: April 20, 2020, 04:06:22 PM »

TAC

8.5/10

Mi name is Indiscipline, and I approve of this song

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1245 on: April 20, 2020, 04:31:17 PM »
Excellent, it's coming to you in 2 rounds! ;D

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1246 on: April 20, 2020, 04:34:02 PM »
Didn't I PM you that album last year?   :justjen

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1247 on: April 21, 2020, 09:15:16 AM »
I'm making a second EP and sending it, whether Pup will listen to it or not. Just in case he REALLY hates what I sent.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1248 on: April 21, 2020, 10:06:34 AM »
Yeah, I have a feeling he's not going to like everything on mine either. Listening to the first edited version right now!
Squ

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1249 on: April 21, 2020, 10:44:46 AM »
 :lol I told Pup my EP will be better than at least 2 of the incoming EPs, but I'm sweating, 'cause it'll probably come dead last. No way yours will be less appealing than mine.

However, I just fired off another EP. If Pup decides he doesn't want to listen to that (it's my insurance policy in case my first one is just that unlistenable), then I'm gonna post it here :2metal:

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1250 on: April 21, 2020, 11:37:43 AM »
Did you send Lucy?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: April 21, 2020, 11:43:00 AM »
I sent big energy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1252 on: April 21, 2020, 03:19:44 PM »
I'll accept both of your EP's Katt! Which one I use for your final score is going to be a mystery  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1253 on: April 21, 2020, 03:20:41 PM »
Yayyyy  :biggrin:  :corn

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1254 on: April 21, 2020, 10:03:06 PM »
So I actually have 5 different EP's and 1 concept album submitted so far. Only 3 are from people actually competing for the win. :biggrin: We have some surprise guests this round. So stay tuned.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
hey puppies go listen to the EP + story I sent Katt in his last roulette

• DTF.org Member
The Hirsch Effekt one? I already know them well. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hey Pup listen to mine and post your thoughts before you listen to the peewees who struck out :neverusethis:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I'll get you the EP by Friday but possibly not much before the deadline I'm afraid!

And really glad you enjoyed those Closure in Moscow tunes, you should definitely give that album a listen, I think you'll like it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.