Author Topic: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Ultimate Post-Roulette Mega Rundown!)  (Read 81908 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Round 5 First Impressions)
« Reply #735 on: March 10, 2020, 03:44:57 PM »
cause of roulette death: COVID-19 and people not sending songs
Funny thing is, I've been sick since yesterday (not COVID-19 (I don't think)). I just haven't felt well enough to actually sit down and do the write ups. I'm going to try to do them at some point today. Or maybe split them up between today and tomorrow.

Again, sorry for the delays.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #736 on: March 10, 2020, 03:48:09 PM »
No worries at all man, hope you feel better soon. I think this round has felt a bit longer because of the lack of hangmangs.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #737 on: March 10, 2020, 03:49:05 PM »
also because some people didn't send until very late

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #738 on: March 10, 2020, 03:56:35 PM »
No worries at all man, hope you feel better soon. I think this round has felt a bit longer because of the lack of hangmangs.
Yeah, in reality it's only been a week since the last round ended.

On a side note. Every one of you, with the exception of one person, send 1 song I like and 1 song I don't really like. I'll let you all ponder which songs I liked and the one person who doesn't fall into that category.

And here's the song list to tide you all over. Along with cute nicknames I came up with for everyone in my current state of delirium brought on by illness... Except Tomislav, I couldn't come up with one for you.  :blush

Parama
An Isolated Mind - Afraid of Dissonance
La Dispute - Fulton Street I

Nekov the Woods
Moon Safari - A kid called panic
Moon Safari - Too Young to Say Goodbye

Rolldrums
Plini - Cascade
Living Colour - Open Letter (To a Landlord)

Katatonia
Vanishing Point - Two Minds, One Soul
Disperse - Universal Love

TAC N ROLL
Dark Oath - The Tree Of Life
Divided Multitudes - Counterparts

KatteBagelsN'Locks
Daft Punk - Touch
Daft Punk - Contact

Train of Groot
Dool - Sulphur & Starlight
Blood Incantation - The Giza Power Plant

OG Rich
Actor | Observer - Reuptake
Actor | Observer - In Your Ways

Tomislav
The Smith's - There's a light that never goes out
Buckethead - Padmasana

E-late
Alanis Morrisette - Uninvited
Cardiacs - Dirty Boy

Slowdler
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - A Simple Game of Genius
Oasis - D'You Know What I Mean?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #739 on: March 10, 2020, 03:59:09 PM »
Tomislavin' away on his submissions
Tomislavish
Tom is :neverusethis:

If you disliked one of my two Daft Punk songs I'm gonna be like f, should've sent Giorgio by Moroder
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #740 on: March 10, 2020, 04:09:19 PM »
wow og rich stealing actor | observer from me :getoffmylawn:

not that i was planning to send them, since they are non-2019

i am going to make a bold prediction that you liked both my songs, since they are both very good and i will be upset if you did not like one of them  :loser:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #741 on: March 10, 2020, 04:24:41 PM »
Puppies_On_corona
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #742 on: March 10, 2020, 04:42:06 PM »
:heart

Those two songs are so great and they fit well with the personal/emotional round theme.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #743 on: March 10, 2020, 04:51:21 PM »
I’m betting you did not like the Cardiacs track :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #744 on: March 10, 2020, 04:58:57 PM »
:heart

Those two songs are so great and they fit well with the personal/emotional round theme.
i mean, most post-hardcore does. the good stuff, anyways
when is your roulette happening, i want to send you la dispute in it

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #745 on: March 11, 2020, 03:53:34 AM »
when is your roulette happening, i want to send you la dispute in it
I was just thinking about that yesterday actually. Finished working my way through all of the stuff I wanted to delve into from my last roulette and for the past few weeks I've just been enjoying going back to loads of other stuff that I haven't listened to for ages. I should be moving house in a few weeks which is going to be a lot of work, so I'm thinking at some point from mid-April onwards, possibly in May.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: March 11, 2020, 05:56:34 AM »
Hopefully you liked both of mine
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
yeah good luck on getting anything from stadler until monday
katt's in the same boat probably

I would love to see the reality TV show that is Stadler and K-Lox Take A Boat Ride.

It either ends in a wonderful discussion of classic rock or one of us trying to throttle the other over a political argument. :)

Season One, Episode Six:
Stadler and K-lox are having a lively discussion about the band Rainbow, but everything turns when K-lox decides to turn on CNN.

:corn :corn

HAHA.  There's probably truth in there.  ;)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
you really should at least penalize the late senders, this is ridiculous at this point

Seriously, bro?  You'll live one more day.   I know it sucks, but unfortunately life sometimes happens. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: March 11, 2020, 07:44:04 AM »
yeah good luck on getting anything from stadler until monday
katt's in the same boat probably

I would love to see the reality TV show that is Stadler and K-Lox Take A Boat Ride.

It either ends in a wonderful discussion of classic rock or one of us trying to throttle the other over a political argument. :)

Season One, Episode Six:
Stadler and K-lox are having a lively discussion about the band Rainbow, but everything turns when K-lox decides to turn on CNN.

:corn :corn

HAHA.  There's probably truth in there.  ;)

I think you watch CNN more than I do, though :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Round 5 Results Part 1)
« Reply #750 on: March 11, 2020, 02:10:06 PM »
Apologies for this taking so long, being sick sucks, but I've been pushing my way through typing these up. The rest to come later today or tomorrow.

Parama

An Isolated Mind - Afraid of Dissonance

First Impression - That was something

Theme - hemispheres has a single brain on the album cover. this band's name is "an isolated mind", implying a single brain. that's all i got

The more I listened to this song, the more I hated the drums. At first it was just the drums at the beginning. I didn't like the whole speed up/slow down rinse/repeat thing they were doing. It pretty much ruins the first minute of the song. Then they change to another equally bad sounding (to me) drum pattern. There are parts of this song that I like (the quieter parts with the sax (is that a sax?), the synths), but there are times where I'm just like, pick a lane, for crying out loud. After listening to it numerous times, I still have no idea what this song wants to be.

5.5/10

La Dispute - Fulton Street I

First Impression - It's like an emo/post-hardcore version of Iliketrains

Theme - emotional devastation

The vocal style in the clean parts remind me a lot of ILikeTrains. That's where the comparisons kind of stop. I mean, there's also some obvious post-rock influence here, which is similar to ILikeTrains as well, but this is most definitely more influenced by the loud/quiet dynamic of Post-Hardcore. That dynamic is used very well here, bringing to mind bands like Envy and Devil Sold His Soul. This isn't quite as intense as either of those bands, though. The build up and tension release is well executed. I'm interested in what the rest of the album sounds like now.

8.5/10

Nekov the Woods

Moon Safari - A kid called panic

First Impression - This song goes and it goes hard!

Theme - It is a long song which is what Hemispheres is all about, and the happy feeling matches the beginning of La Villa Strangiato pretty well

I'm somewhat familiar with Moon Safari, but haven't really sat down to really analyze and listen to their music. This song in particular is right up my alley as far as Symphonic Prog is concerned. The vocals remind me of REO Speedwagon at times, Styx at times, and The Dear Hunter a tiny bit. The song could very well be a prog REO Speedwagon song. For as long as the song is, it's extremely catchy and memorable. It's one of those songs I want to listen to again immediately after listening to it. Every part of this song musically and vocally just works for me. It has a kind of sentimental quality to it, perhaps because it reminds me a lot of bands that I both grew up listening to and/or am really in to these days. The one problem I sort of have with this (and I may be way off base here) is the happy sounding music mixed with the sort of not so happy lyrics. Overall I love this song and will be doing a deep dive in to this album soon.

9.5/10

Moon Safari - Too Young to Say Goodbye

First Impression - The vocals seem a bit off to me

Theme - This is basically a love song which lyrically relates to At the Speed of Love.

OK, this song threw me for a loop. Musically it's very similar to A Kid Called Panic, but the lead vocals don't sound nearly as good. I didn't look into it, but this has to be a different lead vocalist from the other song. At any rate I don't like the vocals on this song. His tone and use of melody sounds extremely forced and corny. The music is just as fantastic as the other Moon Safari song though. The harmonized vocals are better, but the lead vocals drag this song down. I like the lyrics, though!

7/10

Rolldrums

Plini - Cascade

First Impression - Ehh, I've heard better from this guy.

Theme - Of all the modern shredders, I feel Plini is the one that best captures Alex's sense of melody and adventure combined with solid riffs. This song goes through quite a few sections, and while he certainly plays a lot of notes, it's not just for the sake of playing notes.  With Alex, I can always tell the sense of purpose in his playing, and I can hear that in Plini's playing as well.

I'm very familiar with Plini (mostly from his Halcyon project and he used to post over at the Mike Portnoy forums all the time), but I never gave this album a listen. This isn't quite as good as some of the other stuff he's done. The production values are much improved, but it's not quite as adventurous as his other stuff. I do know he has a knack for injecting whatever style he wants into his music and there is some semblance of that here, but it isn't what I've come to expect from him. Having said all that, it's still a good song and very well crafted.

7.5/10

Living Colour - Open Letter (To a Landlord)

First Impression - I really like the sentimentality of this song

Theme - One of my takeaways from Counterparts, at least lyrically, was that Neil was focusing  on some smaller, more immediate ideas, rather than larger, more universal or abstract ones.  A lot of Counterparts, to me, is dealing with personal struggles, and coming to solutions with people who, while not enemies, are looking at things from a different perspective.  This song taps into the social consciousness themes found in Nobody's Hero and Everyday Glory.  It paints a vivid picture  ;) of the struggle between a landlord and his tenants.

Let me preface this by saying that I think Vernon Reid is probably my least favorite "talented" guitarists. His sense of melody is non existent in everything I've heard from him. His guitar solos and tone are the worst :D This song, though is much better than anything else I've heard him on. I've always liked Corey Glover's vocals. The bass player is killing it on this song. The lyrics are really good. Even Vernon Reid's parts on this song are good. I guess I should stop hating on him so much. :dunno:

8.5/10

Katatonia

Vanishing Point - Two Minds, One Soul

First Impression - This has the Evergrey effect on me...

Theme - the lyrics of the song probably fit Counterparts more, so maybe this could be for both.  But the title itself seems perfect for Hemispheres.  The two minds are the gods of love and reason and the one soul is Cygnus, the god of balance.

I'm bored....................The verses consist of palm muted chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug. The chorus's are just big ringing basic chords. The vocals sound as lazy, uninspired, and unimpressive as Tom Englund from Evergrey. The lead guitar tone has a bit of an Alex Lifeson feel to it, so that's something. Did not like this song, sorry.  :-\

3/10
_________

Disperse - Universal Love

First Impression - This was a little unexpected

Theme - I feel that the lyrics here are reminiscent of The Speed of Love, Alien Shore; and the first verse could recall Hemispheres a little bit with the astral plane and cosmic warmth and stuff.

OK, now this song was super cool! That is a seriously awesome guitar tone on the leads. The song perhaps gets a little too chuggy at parts, but it's saved by all the other cool things going on. I like the imagery evoked in the lyrics. The song is also not too long or self indulgent. Overall just a great song.

TAC N ROLL

Dark Oath - The Tree Of Life

First Impression - Some questionable vocals here and there, but a pretty sweet song

Theme - The Trees

I kind of forgot about any little problems I had with the vocals over time. This song is just so well constructed that they didn't bother me anymore. In fact I think they work quite well with the effects they use on the vocals coupled with the way the synths are deployed here. The guitar riffs are awesome, the drums are creative, yet restrained, and everyone gets time to shine. The mix is super impressive here, considering how much is going on. There's even some neoclassical stuff sprinkled throughout. The song as a whole reminds me of Wintersun. Great song!

9.5/10

Divided Multitudes - Counterparts

First Impression - This one suffers from Cloudscape syndrome

Theme - Song Title

When the song first started I thought it was going to be more like a late era Magnitude 9 song, or something more akin to Queensryche. To my utter disappointment it devolved into Cloudscape-isms. That is, great parts mixed with parts that make me question the bands song writing abilities. Just like Cloudscape, it is super polarizing, all within just one song...

5/10

KatteBagelsN'Locks

Daft Punk - Touch

First Impression - Beginning is too long, the vocals are kind of lame, has a cool groove and some other cool things going on, though

Theme - one of the more emotional pieces on the record, a dramatic, theatric mini-epic amongst a lot of pop and funky stuff. This is poppy and funky, too, but it has a bit more depth to it and talks about love, which is a big theme on Counterparts.

This song could have been cut in half and been much better for it. I don't really enjoy the first couple minutes. I don't like the sung vocals in the actual song portion of the track. I do like the groovy nature of the song mixed with the typical Daft Punk synths. The horns add a lot to the song too. The vocoder vocals don't bother me, I expect them in a Daft Punk song. There's various bits equally about a minute and a half that could be cut from the end of the song.

5/10
_________

Daft Punk - Contact

First Impression - This has a super cool sound to it

Theme - epic electronic instrumental (apart from a monologue at the start) that lays a foundation and builds steadily.  I suppose it's similar to how Hemispheres ends with La Villa, although this is a totally different animal.

Now this is more like it. I love the spacey synths mixed with the spoken word part of the beginning. The build up is pretty amazing. The overall sound is just super cool and exactly what I like in Electronica style music. There really isn't much else to say here, expect maybe the drum track is also really awesome. I don't know if those are programmed drums or if it's a like drummer, it doesn't really matter, because they are awesome. Great song.

9/10
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #751 on: March 11, 2020, 02:17:18 PM »
lol rip parama

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: March 11, 2020, 02:55:01 PM »
recount :getoffmylawn:

I didn't like Touch the first time I heard it but it grew on me... a year or so later. Knew I should've gone with Giorgio - damn.

Hell yeah for Pup and I being on the same page re: Tom Englund tho

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #753 on: March 11, 2020, 03:01:51 PM »
He is probably the most lifeless and boring singer in Prog Metal these days. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: March 11, 2020, 03:04:07 PM »
He is probably the most lifeless and boring singer in Prog Metal these days. :corn

I can actually think of a couple more that would beat him out but I'm going to invoke someone's eternal wrath if I do so I'll just say, Tom is definitely ONE OF those, I agree

Offline romdrums

« Reply #755 on: March 11, 2020, 03:11:32 PM »

I can actually think of a couple more that would beat him out but I'm going to invoke someone's eternal wrath if I do so I'll just say, Tom is definitely ONE OF those, I agree

I've always thought he sounded a little too much like a mopey Michael Bolton.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #756 on: March 11, 2020, 03:12:14 PM »

I've always thought he sounded a little too much like a mopey Michael Bolton.
:lol That's actually eerily accurate.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #757 on: March 11, 2020, 03:18:06 PM »
i don't think i've ever liked katatonia's vocalist at all

Offline romdrums

« Reply #758 on: March 11, 2020, 03:22:54 PM »
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #759 on: March 11, 2020, 06:58:19 PM »
Come on Puppies, you couldn't give an extra point for the awesome song title that is perfect for the Hemispheres theme? :P

Glad you liked Disperse at least.  :)

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Round 5 Results Part 2)
« Reply #760 on: March 11, 2020, 07:39:05 PM »
Here's part 2. Now send for the next round ASAP  :corn

Train of Groot

Dool - Sulphur & Starlight

First Impression - There are lots of elements that I like here, but the song is doing nothing for me

Theme - how Cygnus ties in with the astronomical theme as does this

The song starts out just fine, but it doesn't really evolve or develop in to anything. It's just kind of there. There's a good atmosphere, but that doesn't really make up for the uninteresting song writing. The vocals are good too, but again, that isn't enough. You can have all the best musicians in the world, but if you can't write a good song it won't matter (see The Mute Gods). The chorus is also decent, but overall this song just does nothing for me, not technically, not emotionally, nothing.

4/10
_________

Blood Incantation - The Giza Power Plant

First Impression - It's the second coming of Mithras mixed with just a touch of Nile.

Theme - 36 minute album with only 2 short/medium tracks, one semi-epic and one super long track. This is the semi-epic off that album.

This song is great! Taking influence from what I would guess to be Mithras and Nile, at least that's what it sounds like to me. This is dripping with atmosphere all wrapped in a neat package. It also reminds me a bit of Artificial Brain, just with a completely different vocal style. I like this vocal style much more, though. There's a lot of cool stuff here. For instance, the reverb on the guitar leads makes the solos sound so cool. The bass is technical, fitting for a Technical Death Metal band, but it also has a great tone. The bass player hasn't gone the route of many these days and gone with that awful fretless bass tone, thankfully. I really want to give this album a listen now.

9.6/10

OG Rich

Actor | Observer - Reuptake

First Impression - This is pretty much what I want to hear in this genre

Theme - these songs are both very emotionally charged and deal with the same subject (depression), but tonally and lyrically they take two different approaches/perspectives. Reuptake may not be overly heavy but it's a very angry song about dealing with one's own depression

This is Post-Hardcore done right. RYM also has them labeled as Metalcore......ehh, I don't really here that. The vocal style is Post-Hardcore, the guitar riffing style is Post-Hardcore, the leads are Post-Hardcore.......you get my drift. Not much else to say about this. It's just a well executed song of the genre.

8.5/10
______

Actor | Observer - In Your Ways

First Impression - This builds in a very emotional way

Theme - these songs are both very emotionally charged and deal with the same subject (depression), but tonally and lyrically they take two different approaches/perspectives. In Your Ways is a sorrowful look at depression in someone else.

This song on the other hand is a whole other thing. The build up is pretty fantastic. The underlying music in the first couple minutes reminds me of the quieter parts on Between the Buried and Me's Alaska album. Now don't get me wrong this song is also a great example of Post-Hardcore done right, just in a completely different way. The build up and ultimate climax is very satisfying. Which ultimately makes this song more appealing than the last one. I mean that ending is just amazing. What a great building of tension in the song to get to that point. Just another reminder of why I love this genre so much.

9.2/10

Tomislav

The Smith's - There's a light that never goes out

First Impression - There might be something here, but at this point I just don't get it

Theme - about hope for eternal love

So I've given this numerous listens and I just don't get it. I have friends that say they love The Smith's, but I start to wonder if they only do because underground music society says they should love them.....I mean they like a ton of other terrible music too, so.... :dunno: This isn't intrinsically terrible, but it doesn't do anything that makes me want to come back to it or listen to the album. To me this is like a poor man's The Cure.

5/10
_________

Buckethead - Padmasana

First Impression - This has a circa Saturdays=Youth M83 quality to it

Theme - instrumental

OK, maybe this song is about 3 minutes too long. It really only does one thing, granted it does it well. It has a trance-like quality to it that just kind of surrounds you and makes you feel contented and happy. Unfortunately I think Buckethead dragged it out a bit too long and ultimately it suffers because of that. I still like it, but it's probably not something I will come back to very often. I've heard other stuff by Buckethead and liked it, so I think it's time to do a deep dive. I know he's an extremely prolific artist with something like 300 albums or so....

7.5/10

E-late

Alanis Morrisette - Uninvited

First Impression - I've heard this song before, but not in many years, that voice is haunting

Theme - very emotional song that also holds the other of being one of the best pop songs ever written in my opinion

Oh boy, this song. I never knew what this song was called. I just remember hearing it when it came out like 20 years ago or so. I've always liked Alanis Morrisette's voice. I know some hate it. This song her vocals are just on another level. It's so haunting and beautiful. The choices in melodies and phrasing is just spot on. When the song picks up her tone changes just a bit and it gives it just a little more edge. The music is also very good too, serving as a vessel for the awesome vocals and lyrical message.

9.7/10

Cardiacs - Dirty Boy

First Impression - This sounds somewhat familiar, although I'm sure I've never heard this before, this is easily the best thing I've heard from this band

Theme - track of epic proportions on a pretty flawless album

So the first half of this song is surprisingly good. The second half the wheels come completely off the bus, the bus drives off a cliff, and then explodes at the bottom. Still, the best thing I've heard from Cardiacs. Ultimately, though, I don't think Cardiacs is a band for me. I've heard On Land and in the Sea, didn't like it. I heard a few other random songs, didn't like them either. I think the problem with this song is they had no idea when to quit. This song could have ended at the 5 minute mark and it would have received a decent score, however it didn't, so it doesn't. Note to everyone, the third time receiving Cardiacs in my roulettes over the years was not the charm, stop sending them to me.

4.5/10

Slowdler

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - A Simple Game of Genius

First Impression - I'm not sure if this works for me

Theme - epic in it's own, small way, a narrow look at the simple, important things in life, namely love.

When it comes to Oasis and/or anything related to Noel Gallagher, I'm only really familiar with Oasis' first 2 albums. Both of which I like, but don't love. I mean they were part of the soundtrack to my youth. I've heard bits and pieces of other Oasis albums which never grabbed me. This is a Noel solo project, which I've never heard before. This is much more to my liking than the later period Oasis stuff. It isn't perfect, for one it's a little too long for what it is. Also the mix is slightly weird, the vocals are a little too low. They sound almost muffled or buried, they don't cut through very well. Overall though it's a pretty decent tune and I'd be willing to give the rest of his solo material a listen.

7.8/10

Oasis - D'You Know What I Mean?

First Impression -

Theme - Epic

I've heard a few other random songs from this album back in the day, but I don't think I've heard this one. Or if I had I don't remember it. Was there a music video for this song back in the day? No matter. This just goes to further show me that after their second album, Oasis as a band were out of ideas. This song isn't bad, it just doesn't compare to anything on their first 2 albums. Which isn't your fault, I know you tried to send me Champagne Supernova to begin with, which is a 10/10 song. So at least you were on the right track, you just had to settle for a second rate Oasis tune. This one is long like Champagne Supernova, but not nearly as interesting and also way too long for what it is. There's a reason why most pop oriented music doesn't go beyond the 3-4 minute mark, because the basic verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus-outro song writing style isn't conducive to longer songs. Not enough happens to warrant the length.

5.7/10

Scores

Romdrums - 17, 16.75, 18.7, 16.5, 16 = 84.95
Cyril - 15.25, 18.25, 16.5, 17, 14 = 81
Train - 18.5, 19, 16.7, 13, 13.6 = 80.8
Kattelox - 17.5, 14.7, 14.2, 18.9, 14 = 79.3
Nekov - 17, 16, 14.8, 14.3, 16.5 = 78.6
Tomislav - 16, 16, 16.5, 16, 12.5 = 77
Elite - 10.5, 16, 17, 18.6, 14.2 = 76.3
Ariich - 16.25, 17.25, 12.5, 12, 17.7 = 75.7
Lethean - 13.5, 16.5, 11, 18.2, 11.6 = 70.8
TAC - 11, 11, 17.2, 16, 14.5 = 69.7
Stadler - 14, 16.3, 14.2, 11, 13.5 = 69
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 09:44:47 PM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Round 5 Results Part 2, Send for Round 6)
« Reply #761 on: March 11, 2020, 07:41:28 PM »
4th place for the round..

Still sucking. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #762 on: March 11, 2020, 07:42:57 PM »
4th place for the round..

Still sucking. :lol
You've moved up from last place  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: March 11, 2020, 07:43:51 PM »
4th overall.

Not sucking.  :hat

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #764 on: March 11, 2020, 07:48:42 PM »
4th overall.

I find it interesting that we both got Uninvited in our most recent round of our roulettes and from different people....
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #765 on: March 11, 2020, 07:51:02 PM »
4th overall.

I find it interesting that we both got Uninvited in our most recent round of our roulettes and from different people....

I find it interesting that it's not banned.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #766 on: March 11, 2020, 08:14:22 PM »
Damn, I actually gained ground  :lol

Romdrums sitting pretty with that lead though.

And puppies that actor | observer album is fantastic front to back tbh. Big reason I started getting more into the genre recently.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #767 on: March 11, 2020, 11:14:43 PM »
my playlist is down to 9 songs now and i need 8 songs for the next four rounds at least so this might start to get interesting  :corn (read: bad)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #768 on: March 12, 2020, 01:00:20 AM »
Man I was totally ready for you to trash the singer of Dool, I’m very confused at the write up and score for that song. But at the same time, I have also experienced this in the past where a nothing sounds bad but the song just doesn’t come together. NO RAGRETS

Glad you love Blood Incantation, I too got on the hype train for this album way too late, near the end of 2019 where there was no chance of ranking it in my AOTY list anymore.

I’ll go send my next crap soon, I’ve been slipping these last 3 or so rounds :lol and romdrums is consistent AF! Re: Plini, I think Other Things is his best release and Selenium Forest is his best song, but I also love Cascade actually, that’s my favorite off his debut and I don’t hear it mentioned enough.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #769 on: March 12, 2020, 01:07:43 AM »
Yeah, this was an extremely bipolar round. I'm a bit bipolar when it comes to music too.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid