Author Topic: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Ultimate Post-Roulette Mega Rundown!)  (Read 84073 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Round 2 Results part 1! Send for Round 3)
« Reply #420 on: February 15, 2020, 06:54:34 PM »
Apparently I have none. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #421 on: February 15, 2020, 07:00:47 PM »
Damn... hard disagree about The Comet Is Coming, I think that final third is extraordinary. Tastes!
I was digging it right up to that point  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #422 on: February 16, 2020, 01:43:02 AM »
Wuhuuu, I just saw Astrosaur live for the first time since that album dropped, it was phenomenal.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #423 on: February 16, 2020, 10:57:14 AM »
Sorry guys. Between being sick and getting distracted by other family things I haven't been able to finish the write ups for the remaining submissions for round 2 yet, but rest assured they will be up tonight sometime.

In the mean time, please send Round 3 so I can get going on that as soon as possible.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #424 on: February 16, 2020, 11:01:56 AM »
Sorry to hear man, get well!

I have round 3 ready was just waiting for the rest of the results, but I’ll send them over now.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #425 on: February 16, 2020, 11:23:37 AM »
reading over the descriptions i know exactly what two artists i'm gonna send, just need to sit down and pick out songs for each

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #426 on: February 16, 2020, 12:48:03 PM »
round 3 is now SENT BABY
my first song this round is almost as long as the first four songs i sent combined

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #427 on: February 16, 2020, 04:02:12 PM »
I will send tonight or tomorrow depending on how tore up I get tonight
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

• DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Round 2 Results part 2! Send for Round 3)
« Reply #428 on: February 17, 2020, 12:23:13 AM »
Nekov

Karmakanic - Who's the Boss in the Factory

First Impression - This may take a quite a few listens to fully digest

Theme - Caress of Steel is Rush delving into longer epics and as such, this song fits right in.

The intro to this song is so amazing and atmospheric. It's so magical! The song never really gets back to that amazing atmosphere of the first couple minutes. The tone completely changes after that. It goes in to more of a typical Symphonic Prog epic, not very dissimilar to The Flower Kings. Which I typically enjoy and this is no different. The background spoken vocals feel out of place a bit, though. They would probably be better if they were sung. The instrumental interlude is fairly standard for this type of song. Nothing groundbreaking or ear catching in particular. Overall everything is performed well. The bass stands out in places and is enjoyable, the drumming is performed well. Not much to complain about other than the background vocals and occasionally the lead vocals. It's a good song, nothing more.

7/10
_________

Karmakanic - Where the Earth Meets the Sky

First Impression - I love the piano driven nature of this song

Theme - Lyrically, Snakes and Arrows refers to some religious themes, and so does this song.

Between the extremely piano driven nature of this song, plus the other Karmakanic song having a lot of pianos, it has come to my attention that they like to do that "Falling rain" piano sound (not sure how else to describe it), but it happens in both songs. Anyway, as I mentioned the drive of the piano is very well executed here. I really appreciate when a rock band (or in this case a prog rock band) can pull off a song that is driven mainly by the piano. Besides that there are bits in here that are very reminiscent of Pink Floyd, Marillion, Genesis, and again The Flower Kings (this is to be expected because there seems to be some overlap of personnel between these 2 bands, along with The Tangent and Kaipa (2 other bands I like)). There are some great lead guitar parts, along with unison guitar and bass parts that are really cool. The parts with vocals are much more enjoyable than the other Karmakanic song. They seem more melodic and heartfelt. This song is what a Symphonic Prog Rock epic should be!

9/10

Tomislav

Eloy - Poseidon's Creation

First Impression - I'm sort of familiar with this band, and like the other stuff I've heard, the vocals always seem a bit off? The music is pretty great though!

Theme - Epic similar to those on Caress of Steel

This is a great example of a song where the music is pretty phenomenal, but the vocals don't hold up their end of the deal. This is the problem I've always had with Eloy. Their vocalist is just not convincing, neither in his tone or style or (lack of) passion. However, the rest of the song is so freaking good, I can almost completely ignore the vocals here. I love the bass tone and melodies created with it. Reminds me a lot of Geddy Lee in places. The keyboards here are a great example of playing for the song, instead of dominating it and drowning everything else out or devolving in to cheesy wankery. The drums are tight and have a great groove. After a few listens even the vocals became less of an annoyance, just not completely enjoyable. In the lead up to the first verse I get a lot of Pink Floyd vibes. It's really a great song. Now if only someone else was their vocalist...

8/10
_________

Machine Head - Halo

First Impression - This feels like its cut from the same cloth as Pantera, but a little more epic

Theme - lyrics on The Way The Wind Blows seemed critical of religion and Halo definitely is anti-religion song

Here's a song that I got more and more in to as I kept listening to it. The intro transitioning in to those first heavy riffs is pretty epic. I think my Pantera comment still holds, but only mostly regarding the vocals and some of the riffs. This song is better than just about anything that Pantera has ever done (except Cemetery Gates). It's pretty epic and has a great chorus with some fantastic guitar harmonies. I guess the vocals are the only thing I don't particularly care for. They aren't all bad, but there are times where they just don't work for me. Other than that there isn't a whole lot to complain about. Just another solid song.

8/10

Stadler

Jane's Addiction - Three Days

First Impression - When I saw you sent this band I groaned a bit, but then was pleasantly surprised

Theme - prog-gish in it's construction, but writing about the most personal of issues.

This was completely unexpected. I remember you sending Deconstruction in my last roulette and it only being OK. This on the other hand was much much better. This is definitely proggy. The music on this is very well constructed and played with a technical proficiency I didn't know Jane's Addiction was capable of. I like the overall sense of progression in the song and the buildup. The guitars mostly have a jangly sound to them, but when the song really kicks in and that guitar solo wails in, it's a pretty epic moment. What a great melodic guitar solo too! I didn't know Dave Navarro had that kind of solo in him. The bass line on the other hand is much more simple, but it has a nice tone and cuts through the mix well. I like it. The song overall is quite a fun rocker all the way through. Great pick!

8.5/10
_________

The Kinks - Do It Again

First Impression - It may be on the simpler side, but damn if it isn't a fun little song

Theme - not prog-gish per se, but it has "nuggets" (the song starts with the chord from "A Hard Day's Night") and isn't construction in a traditional way, but writing about the most mundane of issues. A band that fairly radically abandoned it's more prog-gish sensibilities

This song lost it's fun luster a bit through repeated listens. It's just not complex enough to really stick out. Although it is quite the earworm of a song. I would find myself humming the melodies or chorus randomly. I've obviously heard The Kinks before and never much appreciated them. I may have to take a bit of a plunge in to their discography at some point after the roulette is over. I'd be interested to see if they have some better albums than what I've heard on the radio before. Back to the song, there are some great lead guitar parts, the vocals are pretty decent and the lyrics are relate-able to (possibly) most people. It's still a fun, decent song, just nothing special.

7.8/10

Ariich

Bear Ghost - Starkiller

First Impression - I think I've heard this before, it's fun

Theme - use of both analogies and humour to tell what are otherwise personal stories. Combination of the serious and the light-hearted.

I'm sure I've heard this before. Did I get this in a roulette previously? I can't find it in my records.... Anyways, this is a fun song. I love the upbeat, yet proggy nature of this song. It also helps that it's super catchy. Just a great all around song.

8.5/10
_________

Bear Ghost - Sickness for Nothing/She-Wrecks

First Impression - The beginning sounds like the original Zelda on NES

Theme - use of both analogies and humour to tell what are otherwise personal stories. Combination of the serious and the light-hearted.

This Bear Ghost song (or songs) is a whole other beast. I absolutely love the Zelda-like sound of the first part of this song. The more relaxed nature of this first part is a great contrast to the rest of the song. There's actually some great buildups and releases throughout both parts of this. The She-Wrecks portion brings out more of the fun and upbeat parts similar to Starkiller, only a little more subdued. I think I prefer this song overall to Starkiller though, by just a tad. Also the random screamed YEAH at the end always gets a chuckle out of me. I'm going to have to check out this album in full.

8.75/10

Lethean

Hubi Meisel - Lost in the Waters of Sargasso

First Impression - The mix is really strange on this one

Theme - Part of a concept album and the narrator is going on a quest looking for Atlantis.

You were right, this wasn't the greatest song in the world, but it is still a fantastic journey (or beginning of a journey, I'm definitely checking out the full album at some point). The mix on this is still very bizarre. The rhythm guitars for the most part are almost completely buried and the vocals are mixed too high and sound a little strange at times. The bass, while not bad, isn't very interesting and is mixed way too high. Anyway, this song is still pretty good. It has some great melodies and a great progression. The drums are also pretty cool. Overall it's a good song that could be much better with a different mix.

7.5/10

Voyager - The Meaning of I

First Impression - I like the style of this bands most recent album, but this is still very enjoyable

Theme - This one mostly goes to The Larger Bowl.  The first verse (below) reminds me of the Larger Bowl - why such different fortunes and fates, some are blessed and some are cursed, etc. The Fountain of Lamneth is also a quest/journey. Snakes and Arrows in general gives me a feeling of trying to figure things out or maybe making your way through life even though you can't really figure it all out. and The Meaning of I has some of that same spirit

This song really grew on me the more I heard it. I mean, it started out very good, but just got better. I'm not sure what it is about Daniel Estrin's vocals, but I just love them. Like most of the other stuff I've heard from Voyager, I just really appreciate the thought put in to the melodies. They are very pleasing to my ears. This song also has just enough technicality and variety to keep it interesting.

9/10

Scores

Train - 18.5, 19 = 37.5
Romdrums - 17, 16.75 = 33.75
Ariich - 16.25, 17.25 = 33.5
Cyril - 15.25, 18.25 = 33.5
Nekov - 17, 16 = 33
Kattelox - 17.5, 14.7 = 32.2
Tomislav - 16, 16 = 32
Stadler - 14, 16.3 = 30.3
Lethean - 13.5, 16.5 = 30
Elite - 10.5, 16 = 26.5
TAC - 11, 11 = 22
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #429 on: February 17, 2020, 12:29:53 AM »
Dude!! I sent Starkiller to you in your first roulette! :lol That’s why it sounds familiar

It was in the EP round so there’s no individual score linked to it

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #430 on: February 17, 2020, 12:36:50 AM »
:lol I did ask about Bear Ghost and was told only Funkle Phil was banned. Anyway, glad you liked them, the album is full of great songs, mostly along similarly fun lines but there's a couple of pretty epic ones as well.

Will send for round 3 probably this evening!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #431 on: February 17, 2020, 12:37:27 AM »
hahahaha  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #432 on: February 17, 2020, 12:57:02 AM »
Dude!! I sent Starkiller to you in your first roulette! :lol That’s why it sounds familiar

It was in the EP round so there’s no individual score linked to it
:lolpalm:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: February 17, 2020, 04:47:32 AM »
I'm surprised you liked WtEMtS more than WtBitF but well, to each his own  :smiley:

I'll be sending shortly. I have pinned down one of the songs and I'm deciding which should be the second one.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: February 17, 2020, 07:03:03 AM »
Huh? I thought you didn't like Voyager. Interesting. Listen to their last three albums, my friend
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #435 on: February 17, 2020, 08:35:34 AM »
From my writeup:

The music on this is very well constructed and played with a technical proficiency I didn't know Jane's Addiction was capable of. I like the overall sense of progression in the song and the buildup. The guitars mostly have a jangly sound to them, but when the song really kicks in and that guitar solo wails in, it's a pretty epic moment. What a great melodic guitar solo too! I didn't know Dave Navarro had that kind of solo in him.

More than just about any band I can name, Jane's suffers (or benefits, depends) from the persona/image of their lead singer.  Perry is very flighty, his performances - and that's what they are - vary tremendously from night to night, and not always for the better, and his image is so blown out that it overwhelms.  Musically, though, Jane's is solid as a rock.  There are some real (musical) gems in their catalogue, and they reward multiple listenings.   They also don't replicate stuff exactly every time.  I have I think five live versions of Three Days through the years, and they all vary pretty greatly.  Some are more vibe-y, some are more powerful, some are more abstract.   I picked the more powerful one, but they often go in different directions.

I remember seeing them a couple years ago (FINALLY!) and was in the pit, circling around the back for the most part.  I rarely - never - do this, but for the middle jam of Three Days I pushed my way to the front, and was literally jammed up against the barracade in front of Dave when he kicked off that heavy riff about 2/3 of the way through the song.  It was a total rock star moment - motorcyle boots on the stage monitor, black leather pants (it was a pair of coveralls, but he had the straps hanging down), no shirt, black hat, tats everywhere... it was a cool moment (and I'm a straight guy; the couple of girls near me were probably having a different experience, it was that kind of vibe).   

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #436 on: February 17, 2020, 11:53:34 AM »
I'm surprised you liked WtEMtS more than WtBitF but well, to each his own  :smiley:

I'll be sending shortly. I have pinned down one of the songs and I'm deciding which should be the second one.
I mean they are both at least good songs, I just enjoyed Where Earth Meets the Sky more.

Huh? I thought you didn't like Voyager. Interesting. Listen to their last three albums, my friend
I rated 2 of their albums at 4/5 stars  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: February 17, 2020, 12:10:14 PM »
Crap I'm sorry Pup I forgot to send. You'll have mine by this evening central time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #438 on: February 17, 2020, 12:29:03 PM »
It's the unofficial epic round anyways
So there's no rush.
Haha. No rush, get it because it's a rush-themed roulette but I said "there's no r

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #439 on: February 17, 2020, 12:42:45 PM »
There’s no dream theater is the new There’s no rush anyway

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #440 on: February 17, 2020, 01:19:55 PM »
I haven't looked at the DT section since right after DoT dropped
Before that it had been years tho

Offline romdrums

« Reply #441 on: February 17, 2020, 01:26:00 PM »
Round three sent.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 02:55:23 PM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #445 on: February 17, 2020, 03:34:20 PM »
7 submissions in and we already have 2 hours of music! :metal This will be the longest round so far. :corn :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: February 17, 2020, 03:42:56 PM »
I'm desperately trying to avoid sending an epic because of that. Really tried to stick to epics exclusively for the CoS round, so forgive me...

I fear you're gonna be disappointed.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #447 on: February 17, 2020, 09:49:52 PM »
I'm desperately trying to avoid sending an epic because of that. Really tried to stick to epics exclusively for the CoS round, so forgive me...

I fear you're gonna be disappointed.
Send the epics! Wasn't a complaint on my part, getting long songs, just an observation. Remember I did an album roulette last time with 12 participants  :tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies' Rush Roulette V.3 (Send for Round 3, Still need a few more!)
« Reply #448 on: February 17, 2020, 10:42:19 PM »
it's literally the epic round. it's what the description for 2112 is  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #449 on: February 17, 2020, 10:51:37 PM »
Listening has commenced, still need a few submissions. Hopefully I can get the hangman and first impressions up tomorrow sometime.... :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Lethean

« Reply #450 on: February 18, 2020, 01:04:54 AM »

Hubi Meisel - Lost in the Waters of Sargasso

You were right, this wasn't the greatest song in the world, but it is still a fantastic journey (or beginning of a journey, I'm definitely checking out the full album at some point). The mix on this is still very bizarre. The rhythm guitars for the most part are almost completely buried and the vocals are mixed too high and sound a little strange at times. The bass, while not bad, isn't very interesting and is mixed way too high. Anyway, this song is still pretty good. It has some great melodies and a great progression. The drums are also pretty cool. Overall it's a good song that could be much better with a different mix.

7.5/10

If you don't hate the vocals, that's half the game for this album right there.  I think the concept is maybe a little over the top, but it's a really nice listen.

Voyager - The Meaning of I

This song really grew on me the more I heard it. I mean, it started out very good, but just got better. I'm not sure what it is about Daniel Estrin's vocals, but I just love them. Like most of the other stuff I've heard from Voyager, I just really appreciate the thought put in to the melodies. They are very pleasing to my ears. This song also has just enough technicality and variety to keep it interesting.

9/10

Yippy yay. :)  Voyager is probably my favorite band, as a whole, that I'll be sending this roulette.  So glad you enjoyed this track. :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #451 on: February 18, 2020, 01:31:23 AM »
Voyager is probably my favorite band, as a whole

i don't believe this for a second, since kata-

that I'll be sending this roulette.

oh okay then  :P

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #452 on: February 18, 2020, 03:28:16 AM »
A good deal of stuff I really like isn’t even banned, but I seriously doubt Puppies would enjoy some of it as much as I do.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: February 18, 2020, 06:10:55 AM »
Sent way too late, sorry again. Had to go with a song I didn't really want to send but ran out of time/options for something else, but I think it's something Pup might like.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #454 on: February 18, 2020, 08:36:34 AM »
Just waiting on Tomislav and then we can get this show on the road  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid